Home U.S. Coin Forum

2007-W P$100 - Newly-Discovered American Platinum Proof Eagle Variety - "Frosted Freedom"

Comments

• << <i> But we always have wondercoin to fall back on since he apparently wants to give his 2007 Platinum away at pre Frosted Freedom prices. I want to know what's for sale image >>

please someone help me here i must not get it???

07 $25 Plat mintage 6017
    04 $25 Plat mintage 5193
    08 $25 Plat mintage 4153

exactly what is so special about 3rd place???? ok, maybe if an unsuspecting person who doesn't know about the "Frosted" thing would sell it without flipping it over and looking at it for 10 seconds. Its not like it is so difficult to see the difference between frosted and not, not like trying to see if there are feathers on the Sac Cheerios (which definately needed to be looked at with a loupe).

bottom line the 07 platinum series was a big "YAWN" before the "Frosted" discovery

point is....a "SEALED USM 4pc" set would have some added value, but a 4 pc graded or raw set what is the "value add" to drive prices up????

jhmo

gyros

• << <i>"Also, keep in mind that the mintage on the 2007 $25 coin is ONLY 6,017 and yet nobody seems to realize this......"

Yes, I believe you were quite surprised when I first informed you of that! LOL. Now, if I could only figure out how to price my 2007 proof platinum coins to ensure that I am not "giving them away". image

Wondercoin >>

I'm not sure what I would do without you Mitch image

• << <i>

<< <i> But we always have wondercoin to fall back on since he apparently wants to give his 2007 Platinum away at pre Frosted Freedom prices. I want to know what's for sale image >>

please someone help me here i must not get it???

07 $25 Plat mintage 6017
    04 $25 Plat mintage 5193
    08 $25 Plat mintage 4153

exactly what is so special about 3rd place???? ok, maybe if an unsuspecting person who doesn't know about the "Frosted" thing would sell it without flipping it over and looking at it for 10 seconds. Its not like it is so difficult to see the difference between frosted and not, not like trying to see if there are feathers on the Sac Cheerios (which definately needed to be looked at with a loupe).

bottom line the 07 platinum series was a big "YAWN" before the "Frosted" discovery

point is....a "SEALED USM 4pc" set would have some added value, but a 4 pc graded or raw set what is the "value add" to drive prices up????

jhmo

Hey gyromac, let me know when you find a Frosted Freedom coin and it only takes you 10 seconds to realize it. It seems like you are trying to belittle my discovery. Not to mention the fact that I am an expert in Proof Platinum. If you know anything, the fact is that Platinum sales have been declining since 1997. Did you even consider that the US Mint may actually have done this on PURPOSE as they knew a spark was necessary in order to keep the Platinum Eagle Program alive. Also, for those of you who are unaware of this, the US Mint is considering ending the Platinum American Eagle Program. Is there anything else I can clarify? Please let me know.....
    gyros >>

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ebay seller netted what ... close to only $4,000 (after ebay and paypal fees) just 2 days after the reported $5,100 (gross) sale of essentially the same 2007 set - right? (ebay # 230589666000). I hope there is the momentum for proof platinum suggested here (2007 or otherwise), but I just have not personally seen it yet. I do not believe this is meant to be argumentative in nature. In fact, I do plan to keep a close eye on how 2007 proof platinum performs against all the other common date proof platinum years - all of which I follow very closely.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    "It seems like you are trying to belittle my discovery"

Jason .... seriously .... how is one of the top collectors in the field of Proof platinum "trying to belittle" your discovery when he is discussing: (a) the $25 coin and not the $100 coin that you discovered; (b) the relative scarcity of the $25 proof platinum series vis a vis all the other $25 dates in the series and, in particular, non- Frosted Freedom $25 coins and their relative rarity?

On a positive note, this is the most excitement I have seen on a thread involving proof platinum IN YEARS!! Let's all try to keep the personal attacks to a minimum from this point forward ... fair enough?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    If you know anything, the fact is that Platinum sales have been declining since 1997. Also, for those of you who are unaware of this, the US Mint is considering ending the Platinum American Eagle Program.

Proof Platinum Eagle Mintages
    Date 1 oz. 1/2 oz. 1/4 oz. 1/10 oz.
    1997 20,851 15,431 18,628 36,993
    1998 14,912 13,836 14,873 19,847
    1999 12,363 11,103 13,507 19,133
    2000 12,453 11,049 11,995 15,651
    2001 8,969 8,254 8,847 12,174
    2002 9,834 8,772 9,282 12,365
    2003 8,246 7,131 7,044 9,534
    2004 6,007 5,063 5,193 7,161
    2005 6,602 5,942 6,592 8,104
    2006 9,152 7,649 7,813 10,205
    2007 8,363 25,519 6,017 8,176
    2008 4,769 4,020 4,153 5,138
    2009 8,000
    2010 10,000

Declining sales???? 2008 the USM only sold platinum for 2 months in the beginning then for 1 1/2 months in December due to $2000+ platinum prices for 1/2 the year. 1997-2005 platinum was sub $1000/oz

End of Program???? To Insure Domestic Tranquility in 2011, To Provide for the Common Defense in 2012, To Promote the General Welfare in 2013, and To Secure the Blessings of Liberty to Ourselves and our Posterity in 2014 .....its already in the BOOKS....

just the FACTS.....

• << <i>If you know anything, the fact is that Platinum sales have been declining since 1997. Also, for those of you who are unaware of this, the US Mint is considering ending the Platinum American Eagle Program.

Declining sales???? 2008 the USM only sold platinum for 2 months in the beginning then for 1 1/2 months in December due to $2000+ platinum prices for 1/2 the year. 1997-2005 platinum was sub $1000/oz

End of Program???? To Insure Domestic Tranquility in 2011, To Provide for the Common Defense in 2012, To Promote the General Welfare in 2013, and To Secure the Blessings of Liberty to Ourselves and our Posterity in 2014 .....its already in the BOOKS....

just the FACTS..... >>

I must have been hallucinating when I was reading the February 21, 2011 issue of coinworld. In fact, the heading on the TOP LEFT on the FRONT COVER is clearly titled as "PLATINUM BULLION FUTURE IS UNCLEAR". Please see page 4. Yes, I deal only with FACTS. I can guarantee everyone that is reading this that I am by far he most knowledgeable person other than Mitch (wondercoin)..... image

I will be attending to some family matters this weekend so, have fun everyone..... image

<< <i>I must have been hallucinating when I was reading the February 21, 2011 issue of coinworld. In fact, the heading on the TOP LEFT on the FRONT COVER is clearly titled as "PLATINUM BULLION FUTURE IS UNCLEAR". Please see page 4. Yes, I deal only with FACTS. I can guarantee everyone that is reading this that I am by far he most knowledgeable person other than Mitch (wondercoin) >>

Jason...

here is a link to the USMint Platinum Bullion Program:

USMint Platinum Bullion

here is link to the USMint Platinum Proof Program:

USMint Platinum Proof

The CoinWorld article you referred to addresses the Platinum Bullion Program and NOT the Platinum Proof Program (edited after I read the article to confirm). Your "Frosted Freedom" coin is considered a PROOF not a BULLION coin.

In 2009, the United States Mint introduced a new six-year platinum proof coin program. This new series explores the core concepts of American democracy by highlighting the preamble of the U. S. Constitution. It will examine the six principles found in the preamble beginning with To Form a More Perfect Union in 2009, followed by To Establish Justice in 2010, To Insure Domestic Tranquility in 2011, To Provide for the Common Defence in 2012, To Promote the General Welfare in 2013, and To Secure the Blessings of Liberty to Ourselves and our Posterity in 2014.

American Eagle Platinum Proof Coins from 2009-2014 will contain 99.95 percent platinum. The one-ounce coin, with a $100 face value, is 1.287 inches in diameter and weighs 1.0005 troy ounces.

I may not be an "expert" like you, but I am one of the TOP collectors in PCGS's Platinum PROOF World so my knowledge is just as vast to Mitch's in this subject.

Again, congratulations on your find, but before you post erroneous information about Platinum Proof coins check your sources.

• Sounds good to me. If the Mint cancels the Platinum Bullion Program which it seems they already have, don't be surprised when they end the whole thing after this 6 year series is over......

<< <i>Sounds good to me. If the Mint cancels the Platinum Bullion Program which it seems they already have, don't be surprised when they end the whole thing after this 6 year series is over...... >>

That would be great. You have a finite set at that point with no more variables to factor in going forward. 1997-2014 Platinum Proof Set
    And, speaking of 2011 Proof Platinum, if I am not mistaken, the U.S. Mint price on the coins would be $2,092/coin if the coins were priced today. A full $200-$300/coin over last year's coin levels and the 2010 coins have really not performed all that well thus far with the (higher) 10,000 mintage. It should be interesting to see what max. mintage figure the US Mint goes with for 2011. Should the mintage exceed 10,000 units (as they raised it by 2,000 coins from 2009 to 2010), there might be a serious question whether the coin will be a "winner". Thoughts?

Wondercoin
    let's call the 2010 price what $1800...i know there was a little bit of a price movement (for 5hrs) before they sold out. going rate on a 2010 FS69 is what 1900??? before fees....

going to play out similar in 2011....initial hit for the FLIP....PCGS pumps out 500+ 70s....... so see where i am going with this....12,000 puts 2011 at #12 out of 15 in the "DOG" race and 10,000 at #11

maybe i could repost my comments about 2010, bottom line 2011 feels like a repeat even with the $200 boost (people paid $3K+ for ATBs??? and that was logical????)

the only thing 2011 has going for it is the "Insure Domestic Tranquility Girl" on the reverse image
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of mintage, I expect the 2011 proof Platinum Eagle to be a winner due to continued increases in the price of platinum.

I expect common-date bullion Platinum Eagles to be even bigger winners for the same reason.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only thing 2011 has going for it is the "Insure Domestic Tranquility Girl" on the reverse image >>

That's assuming they indeed decide on design number one, or perhaps even number two. The mint's chosen design has NOT yet been announced, only the recommendation of a committee with no authority. If the mint picks any of the other designs, I think the high price, probably over 2K, the backlash from disgruntled numismatists aware of the available design choices, and the abundance of alternative modern coins to buy will hurt sales of the 2011.
  • My opinion on modern coins is that virtually the only way to ever have a "winner" is to buy them direct from the US Mint, hope they certify a MS/PF 70 and then hope that the mintage is low and the coin becomes a key date. Its simply luck. Beyond this, you end up having to buy the coins with ridiculous premiums that you will never recoup. I am building set registries of PF70 gold $50 eagles and PF70 platinum $100 eagles and I think I will be very lucky if I ever recoup my cost. The only winners are the people selling these coins to me.

The only coins I have ever made money on is gold bullion that I purchased 5-10 years ago. In my opinion bullion is more an investment and numismatics is more of a hobby (unless you can afford true rarities such as high grade key date saints etc that will probably appreciate).

Platinum coins are nice to collect because of the changing designs.

Anyhow, just my opinion. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree.

<< <i>

<< <i>The only thing 2011 has going for it is the "Insure Domestic Tranquility Girl" on the reverse image >>

That's assuming they indeed decide on design number one, or perhaps even number two. >>

i agree....if they don't pick one of the first 2 design submissions 2011 will be a BIG DOG.....sadly though since there will only be say 10-12,000 of these things issued they will go just as fast as 2010s which in the long term does not bode well for the coin.

jmho

• alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Wrong thread.
  • Has anyone noticed prices of 2007 Platinum $100 Eagles on ebay lately? A raw coin just sold for $2545 on Feb 24th? Prices are up 25% +/- in 45 days and its not just on ebay.....
    2007 $100 Platinum Eagle
    Interestingly, he was unable to sell the same coin a few days earlier for less money.

Item number: 200567275223 image

Wondercoin
  • On the subject of 2007's, can anyone explain to me why there is an Ebay listing for a 2007 PCGS PF70 FS $100 platinum eagle with a BIN of $3795 and another listing for the exact coin with a BIN of $7000 ? A similar one sold last week for $3200.
  • Seems like a greedy seller is all..... image
  • I have a question for wondercoin. Can you explain to me why proof platinum in general is higher in the past 45 days. I know why.....
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Checked my '07 yesterday. Sigh. No frosted freedom. Any more emerged lately?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • I have not heard of any more examples being discovered as of yet. I just sent a sealed 2007 platinum anniversary set in to be graded so we will know soon if I have a $50 frosty, but I highly doubt it.....
    "I have a question for wondercoin. Can you explain to me why proof platinum in general is higher in the past 45 days. I know why....."

A couple months ago, Platinum was around $1,720/oz. so the metal is up about $100/oz in the past 60 days. Besides that, what do you think Jason?

Wondercoin
  • I have seen other than the spot price in platinum that it is directly related to my find. I know that all of the proof platinum I have been acquiring over the past 4 months is worth more than it was prior to my discovery. The demand has increased overall across the board. I am seeing it personally. Plus, I've been selling all of my 2007 proof platinum for 25 - 30% above where it was 45 days ago.....
    what about 1997-2006 proof platinum? Any movement there other than based upon the spot price?

Wondercoin
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    I hope and expect that this discovery will turn more attention to the plat. series. Maybe that is what is happening now with PR plat price increases. If so then I can't see how the unc-w's cannot follow suit with their tiny mintages.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I have seen increased interest in platinum over the past couple of months. It doesn't show on ebay since most platinum buyers know how to get ahold of me and buy off ebay to save fees. I don't know if it has anything to do with the 2007 frosted freedom, probably not since I have 2007s listed and they haven't sold. With PM prices heating up, more people look at PMs and they quickly figure out the low mintages of proof platinum. --Jerry
    Notwilight - Your experience sounds about right. I currently have a customer with about (100) ozs. of proof platinum he is thinking about selling. Mostly all "common" dates between 1997-2003 and 2006-2007. I spoke to him this morning and he mentioned that he was patiently waiting for the "renewed interest" to set in so he could likely sell off the position at a decent (i.e. strong) level. Maybe when the 2011 coins come out, levels will pick up a bit.

Wondercoin
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    I strongly support the Fishman Factor!

• << <i>Notwilight - Your experience sounds about right. I currently have a customer with about (100) ozs. of proof platinum he is thinking about selling. Mostly all "common" dates between 1997-2003 and 2006-2007. I spoke to him this morning and he mentioned that he was patiently waiting for the "renewed interest" to set in so he could likely sell off the position at a decent (i.e. strong) level. Maybe when the 2011 coins come out, levels will pick up a bit.

If the 100 ozs are good quality, I would have them graded. There is momentum on all dates. Yes, you can still get them cheap if you have a good connection. I recently passed on a deal where I could have purchased 17 - 1997, 7 - 2005, and 5 - 2007 Proof Platinum sets for spot plus $105 per oz. Figuring they must have been picked over, I passed on them. The price would have been around $3500 per set. Premiums were at an all time low recently, but they are on the rebound.

• << <i>I hope and expect that this discovery will turn more attention to the plat. series. Maybe that is what is happening now with PR plat price increases. If so then I can't see how the unc-w's cannot follow suit with their tiny mintages. >>

Sometimes low mintage coins lose their luster and the price declines to more realistic levels. That has been the case in the 06 - 08 Burnished Platinum series and with 2004 and 2008 Proof Platinum. The best part about this discovery is that it created something that was not present. Yes, there are avid platinum collectors. But, there are certainly more people who collect silver and gold and pocket change for that matter. If it were worth it for the US Mint to sell Platinum, they probably would. How can anyone explain why the Mint can be content with selling ONLY 10,000 ounces per year. Maybe the government shouldn't be involved in making coins at all.

<< <i> How can anyone explain why the Mint can be content with selling ONLY 10,000 ounces per year. >>

Jason....

it is a supply/demand issue....USM hasn't sold over 10,000 1 oz Prfs since 2002, so why go through the expense of ordering blanks, manufacturing them into product, and then melting them back into bullion......don't forget with spot pushing 1900 they become out of reach for the "average" collector.

The only reason 2009 + 2010 sold out in days is the USM self-imposed 5/house limit and for the instant "flip". Major "Producers" were paying collectors for enough quantity so they could bang out 70s. 2011 is gearing up to be a repeat of the past 2 years.

jmho

gyros

• << <i>

<< <i> How can anyone explain why the Mint can be content with selling ONLY 10,000 ounces per year. >>

Jason....

it is a supply/demand issue....USM hasn't sold over 10,000 1 oz Prfs since 2002, so why go through the expense of ordering blanks, manufacturing them into product, and then melting them back into bullion......don't forget with spot pushing 1900 they become out of reach for the "average" collector.

The only reason 2009 + 2010 sold out in days is the USM self-imposed 5/house limit and for the instant "flip". Major "Producers" were paying collectors for enough quantity so they could bang out 70s. 2011 is gearing up to be a repeat of the past 2 years.

jmho

gyros >>

Yes, it is a supply/demand issue as it is the only game in town since no regular platinum bullion has been sold since 2008. People now realize that no more fractional platinum coins will be produced.....
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I would like to throw my two cents in. One of the traders on our desk who follows the spread relationships between gold/silver, gold/plat, and silv/plat, as well as their historical prices is also saying that in the grand scheme of things platinum is cheap and that he is moving (or going to move) out of silver and into gold and more than likely platinum.

Correct or not, I'm not sure, I feel more lies to the demand/supply equation then is reflected in the charts, but then again, there may be some truth to the matter.
  • I wanted to congratulate Mitch of wondercoin for getting PCGS to acknowledge PL in regards to the ATB Silver and the 2009 Ultra High Relief. Its about time that this was accomplished. Way to go!
    Jason: Thank you. DH/DW make the final calls of course, but to the entent I helped it along, I am glad I was able to help.

Wondercoin

• << <i>I strongly support the Fishman Factor! >>

All I can say honestly is that I have seen more interest overall in the platinum arena since my discovery was announced. Sometimes it takes something such as this to revitalize a hobby. And to think that there still may be 52 more Frosted Freedom coins out there is pretty exciting. I am buying as many of these as I can as I am hoping to find another coin, in particular the $50 denomination..... PLATINUM RULES!!!!! image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I strongly support the Fishman Factor! >>

All I can say honestly is that I have seen more interest overall in the platinum arena since my discovery was announced. Sometimes it takes something such as this to revitalize a hobby. And to think that there still may be 52 more Frosted Freedom coins out there is pretty exciting. I am buying as many of these as I can as I am hoping to find another coin, in particular the $50 denomination..... PLATINUM RULES!!!!! image >>

What's the latest on this variety, Jason?????
  • What's the latest on this variety, Jason????? >>

Not much to report on this unfortunately. I have not heard of any additional examples to date. I am quite surprised that there have been no more reports of any more surfacing. On a more personal note, I have been hired by Moderncoinmart, a division of John Maben Rare Coin Inc. My tentative start date is June 1, 2011 and I have been hired to handle their premier accounts. So, if you or anyone needs anything as far as modern Platinum, Gold and Silver you can give me a shout there. I will post the company email address and extension as soon as they are assigned to me. If I hear of anything as far as other Frosted Freedom coins go, I will be sure to let everyone know.....
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's the latest on this variety, Jason????? >>

Not much to report on this unfortunately. I have not heard of any additional examples to date. I am quite surprised that there have been no more reports of any more surfacing. On a more personal note, I have been hired by Moderncoinmart, a division of John Maben Rare Coin Inc. My tentative start date is June 1, 2011 and I have been hired to handle their premier accounts. So, if you or anyone needs anything as far as modern Platinum, Gold and Silver you can give me a shout there. I will post the company email address and extension as soon as they are assigned to me. If I hear of anything as far as other Frosted Freedom coins go, I will be sure to let everyone know..... >>

Congrats on the job! It's a great company. I'm glad to know that you'll be there. Thanks for letting us know that we can call you.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Just wanted to update everyone regarding my employment at Moderncoinmart. I have officially begun working as of May 16th and can be reached on my cell phone @ 845-304-2558. The phone number there is 1-800-362-9004 but I do not have my extension as of yet. Again, my email address is jason@moderncoinmart.com. If you are looking to purchase or want to sell any modern silver gold or platinum, please give me a call and I will be happy to help you! Thank you, Jason

Still no new reports of any additional Frosted Freedom coins.....
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they can cherrypicked in a few years when these are not in the mainstream, though doubt it.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Jason! I'm a former satisfied customer of yours.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cherrypicking these on Ebay is about impossible. People only include the front of the coin in photos, or if the back is included, they use Bigfoot film.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • It's official. The $50 Frosted Freedom Platinum American Eagle has been discovered by an anonymous collector in California. The coin is going to be sent to me at Moderncoimart and we will handle the submission on the collector's behalf. Now there will be a 3 coin Frosted Freedom Platinum American Eagle Discovery Specimen Set!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
    What are the numbers of each size now known to you?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • There have only been one coin per denomination discovered to date. That will probably change eventually.....
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you day there will now be a discovery set it implies to me that all three coins are now a part of the same set owned by one owner. Is this correct? It will be interesting to see what the first ff coin brings when one is eventually put on sale.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file