Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint News Blog said the AP's that bought the coins were Jack Hunt, Coins 'N Things, MTB, Fidlitrade and of course Ampex >>

My bet is these firms ordered last Friday.

Why do we keep getting the run around from these guys? They should have taken delivery today or possibly tomorrow. But when you call them - all you get is "call me next week".

BS BS BS BS BS BS

The USM should leave these guys out in the cold and SOLD THEM DIRECT!

Learn your lesson USM.

Edited to add - FWIW - Fidelitrade was the nicest of the bunch to at least take your name and number on a wait list.
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they will fill the one per household and refund the rest instead of refunding the full amount,

Because.....

People have had their CC charged and checks cashed, it takes 'x' amount of days for a full refund to come back. If Apmex is going to cancel the original orders and make the people order again, then they need to release those funds so the buyer has funds to re-buy when they go on sale again.

PLus, as someone mentioned many pages ago, limiting to 1 per HH, makes the first sales total less then 500 sets, not 1000, thus 2500 will come available. >>

What do you think the refund is going to be based on?
    The price of silver on: 1) date the coins were purchased OR 2) date the coins were shipped OR
    3) maybe the date the mint changed the rules.
    Not that it is going to make a whole lot of difference.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Rise and shine!

Another happy day is about to begin!image
  • What other coin series' have had a member that was made at a lower mintage and a different size? This might be unprecedented! I guess the Saints had the 1907 high relief, which was at least a different in a way....and was short struck because they were so difficult to make.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

• << <i> What other coin series' have had a member that was made at a lower mintage and a different size? This might be unprecedented! >>

I was quietly thinking the same thing.....

..and....SOMEONE needs to start selling these beasts!...... Have some clackers....Be the first.....
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think the refund is going to be based on?
    The price of silver on: 1) date the coins were purchased >>

2. Authorized Purchasers may charge to their customers a price no higher than ten percent above the price at which the Authorized Purchasers acquire 2010 America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins from the United States Mint.

So if silver spikes, they could be sold below melt!
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    saw this on another forum

"Coins n things will start sales on January 3rd per the 800 number..."
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>saw this on another forum

"Coins n things will start sales on January 3rd per the 800 number..." >>

Maybe they are all delaying until 2011....something is weird here

Orders confirmed on the 10th.....coins should be in their hands now or by the end of THIS week....why over two MORE weeks before sales begin....

Something is going on that we obviously do not know about....

Maybe the prices are mandated only for pucks sold in 2010.....after 12/31 all bets are off image
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint News Blog said the AP's that bought the coins were Jack Hunt, Coins 'N Things, MTB, Fidlitrade and of course Ampex.

>>

A-mark and Dillion continue to have the evaluating message on their websites.

My guess is no coins will be shipped until ALL the coins are allocated, kind of a once and done.

Fence sitting AP's have until this Friday to order, if not, then all the allocation will be split between those 5, if they want them all...

33,000 sets / 5 AP's = 6600 sets each, x 25oz per set = 165,000 oz x $3 mark up = $495,000 for each AP.

Just speculating. image

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< saw this on another forum "Coins n things will start sales on January 3rd per the 800 number..." >> Maybe they are all delaying until 2011....something is weird here Orders confirmed on the 10th.....coins should be in their hands now or by the end of THIS week....why over two MORE weeks before sales begin.... Something is going on that we obviously do not know about.... Maybe the prices are mandated only for pucks sold in 2010.....after 12/31 all bets are off >>

Coins 'N Things does not currently have a retail arm. There are a lot of logistics involved - packaging, 800 number setup, etc. I'd be willing to bet their delay is due to that. As for delaying sales until 2011 in order to circumvent price rules - read the mint directive again. There is nothing about the year in which the coins are sold. After the stink of the past two weeks, if an AP tried to weasel around the mint's intent, they would be seriously risking their AP status. The mint can drop an AP for any reason - you could look it up! I don't think any of the APs wants to risk their huge market advantage with the bulk of their mint business (AGEs and ASEs) for the drop in the bucket that the pucks represent.

JMHO.
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    << saw this on another forum "Coins n things will start sales on January 3rd per the 800 number..." >>

I've been told that they are taking orders only through their new website which will be up the same day
    (Jan 3rd)...I've not been able to verify this.

Alleged new website
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Kinda makes a little sense...

Everyone is waiting for the 12/20 allotment numbers from the Mint...then will wait for their total shipment....APMEX said they will update "the end of next week"

Orders taken after the Xmas holiday (or later)

Still have no clue why the delay on Apmex commenting on the status of previous orders....That decision should have been decided by now..

Maybe it's them being passive aggressive in response to having their game ball taken away
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    New website the same day that the coins go on sale?

I bet there will be some issues there...
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...

• << <i>New website the same day that the coins go on sale?

I bet there will be some issues there... >>

I think that is appropriate considering the "issues" already with the pucks
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>New website the same day that the coins go on sale?

I bet there will be some issues there... >>

Why not? It's a "new issue!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>I think they will fill the one per household and refund the rest instead of refunding the full amount,

Because.....

People have had their CC charged and checks cashed, it takes 'x' amount of days for a full refund to come back. If Apmex is going to cancel the original orders and make the people order again, then they need to release those funds so the buyer has funds to re-buy when they go on sale again.

PLus, as someone mentioned many pages ago, limiting to 1 per HH, makes the first sales total less then 500 sets, not 1000, thus 2500 will come available. >>

I'm the one who keeps saying pre-sales will be null and voided. Once APMEX establishes the new price, I think everyone will be required to place a new order. If your pre-sale hasn't been refunded by the time you place your new order, you will have a "store credit" and a refund will be issued to you. This would make the sales at the new price fair to all which is what the US Mint wants.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>saw this on another forum

"Coins n things will start sales on January 3rd per the 800 number..." >>

So what's the 800 number?
  • Hi, I called fidelitrade to be put on list and she said that they are not going to sell them in sets only 1 coin per household.She said they have to many orders.Did not now if anyone posted this. already.Laters
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    That's a big change from "don't worry, there will be plenty"
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>Hi, I called fidelitrade to be put on list and she said that they are not going to sell them in sets only 1 coin per household.She said they have to many orders.Did not now if anyone posted this. already.Laters >>

Got the same spiel today, just one coin per household, not one set. Thats new because earlier call in the week there was no mention of this.
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That doesn't make sense at all. I doubt they want to send out 15000 packages when they can send out 3000 if all sold as sets. That's a HUGE difference in manpower and effort required to make a sale and eats into profit margins big time.
  • MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    It's also obviously not the Mint's intent when it comes to restricting one per household. Doofs!
    Occasionally successful coin collector.

• << <i>That doesn't make sense at all. I doubt they want to send out 15000 packages when they can send out 3000 if all sold as sets. That's a HUGE difference in manpower and effort required to make a sale and eats into profit margins big time. >>

Unless the mint is throwing down yet more rules and we just haven't heard about it yet.
  • Maybe they are making more off the handling part of the shipping per coin.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi, I called fidelitrade to be put on list and she said that they are not going to sell them in sets only 1 coin per household.She said they have to many orders.Did not now if anyone posted this. already.Laters >>

Got the same spiel today, just one coin per household, not one set. Thats new because earlier call in the week there was no mention of this. >>

Each design is a different coin so seems a set of 5 designs is one per hh still.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi, I called fidelitrade to be put on list and she said that they are not going to sell them in sets only 1 coin per household.She said they have to many orders.Did not now if anyone posted this. already.Laters >>

That would be just plain stupid.

You'd have to pick what design you want?

I think she's confused, as long as they meet the mandate, what do they care who gets them, when they are sold out, they're sold out.

Also, I did call to get on the list, but I didn't get the feeling it was a pre-sale list, just a list to be notified when they come in. Maybe I'm wrong, but i'm on the list eitherway. image

adding:
    Maybe some people don't want the set and would prefer the coin they like, I guess this could make sense. $1000 is a lot of money.

So maybe she said it's one coin per design.

• i asked her how much for 1 of each coin for the 5 coin set and she said only selling 1 coin total per hh for around $170 plus shipping and handling.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I just talked to her and she said they will email an order form sometime next week, maybe, and then it will be a first come first served.

So, I'd say you want the form, but this is not a Pre-Sale list.

I didn't ask about a limit on coins.

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just talked to her and she said they will email an order form sometime next week, maybe, and then it will be a first come first served.

So, I'd say you want the form, but this is not a Pre-Sale list.

I didn't ask about a limit on coins. >>

It would be good to get solid clarification on that since I bet there are a lot who would not be interested in just one coin of the set. (me for one)
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • imageimageimageimageimage

So if they got a full allotment of 6100 sets that would be over 30,000 separate orders for these pucks ....assuming everyone could get the exact one they want

I think not....I vote for the one coin of each design per household which is STILL 6000 separate orders
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I just talked to Fidelitrade.

One coin only.

$170 - $180

No sets.

No wonder there will be plenty.

#@$%#$%#$!!!!!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just talked to Fidelitrade.

One coin only.

$170 - $180

No sets.

#@$%#$%#$!!!!! >>

Bummer ... Time for the "forum protectorate" to start complaining again?image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fidelitrade needs to re-read the requriements

3.Authorized Purchasers must establish and enforce an order limit of one coin of each design for each household.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

<< <i>I just talked to Fidelitrade.

One coin only.

$170 - $180

No sets.

#@$%#$%#$!!!!! >>

Bummer ... Time for the "forum protectorate" to start complaining again?image >>

right on cue!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭
    Great way to get around the 10% profit limit. APMEX charges $24.95 handling per order. If they make you do 5 orders...
  • OMG.....5 AP's .....one COIN per HH....this is how they maintain the one SET per household rule....

This just gets better and better...

(I know how the Mint worded it but who knows what happened after we got that memo)
  • That is just stupid. They must have their own "special reason" for doing this.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting tired of this.
    Why don't they just put them in boxes of Cheerios...........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just when you think it will wind down, this thread has new legs!!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>Just when you think it will wind down, this thread has new legs!!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee >>

"She's got legggggggggggs! And she knows how to use them!!!!"

• 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer ... Time for the "forum protectorate" to start complaining again?image >>

No will leave that up to you this time, oh bummer, that means nothing will get done oh well one coin only works for me, i guess this must drive the flippers crazy .image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

<< <i>fidelitrade needs to re-read the requirements

3.Authorized Purchasers must establish and enforce an order limit of one coin of each design for each household. >>

but they can sell them 1 at a time if they want.

• ...and this joke from US Coin News today:

America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins opened last Friday with sales of 75,000, as a previous column discussed. There were only 165,000 of the five ounce bullion coins minted this year.t

Yeah..."sales" of 75000 to 5 people....bogus numbers

"....opened with sales to consumers of zero..." should be inserted which would be more realistic

<< <i>Kinda makes a little sense...

Everyone is waiting for the 12/20 allotment numbers from the Mint...then will wait for their total shipment....APMEX said they will update "the end of next week"

Orders taken after the Xmas holiday (or later)

Still have no clue why the delay on Apmex commenting on the status of previous orders....That decision should have been decided by now..

Maybe it's them being passive aggressive in response to having their game ball taken away >>

You are right, since the AP's have to pay to have the coins picked up at West Point and delivered to their location. Better to send one truck than two.

Come to think of it, waiting until Jan. 3 to sell the coins lets them wait and pick them up with their first shipments of 2011 gold and silver eagles.

TD

• << <i>Hi, I called fidelitrade to be put on list and she said that they are not going to sell them in sets only 1 coin per household.She said they have to many orders.Did not now if anyone posted this. already.Laters >>

I just got off the phone with them and they told me the same thing. Also, they will not start selling until the last week of Dec. or the first week of Jan, 2011.
    Gary
    Still no word on how they are going to be packaged for shipping. Somebody suggested to me that zip-loc style bags would be better than nothing.
    TD
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding the 1 COIN per household vs the one SET per household...

So does this mean I now have to talk to four relatives that I don't really like over the holidays???
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Well Fidelitrade is out. I'm not going to waste my time buying one from them.

<< <i>Regarding the 1 COIN per household vs the one SET per household...

So does this mean I now have to talk to four relatives that I don't really like over the holidays??? >>

Yes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file