Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 118 ✭✭
    I did the post-ATB survey sent out by Apmex and here is the response I got today. The reason for "sets of like
    grading" still makes no sense to me.

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your recent response to the APMEX survey. We noticed your comments on the survey and wanted to address them.

We initially tried to produce sets of like grading, which was the reason for the lettering on some boxes. Towards the mid-way point we were unable to
    continue because there were more of some grades than others. I can assure you it was not our intent to offend anyone. We simply used the sets available
    to fill 3,000 orders the best we could.

APMEX did not make any guarantees as to the grade of coins within the set except that they would be BU or better. Everyone that had the opportunity to
    order was given the option to request an ungraded set. The U.S. Mint mandated that APMEX sell all sets in our possession, which we have done. Because
    of this, we will not have any on hand for returns or exchanges.

If you are not satisfied with the ATB 5-Coin set you received, please let us know and we will be happy to issue a return authorization for refund.
    Another option would be to contact our Purchasing department to sell the coins back to APMEX. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of assistance.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns."
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I talked with diamond depository this morning. My coins were mailed out on June 1st, so I should have them today. We shall see !
  • Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I did the post-ATB survey sent out by Apmex and here is the response I got today. The reason for "sets of like

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your recent response to the APMEX survey. We noticed your comments on the survey and wanted to address them.

We initially tried to produce sets of like grading, which was the reason for the lettering on some boxes. Towards the mid-way point we were unable to
    continue because there were more of some grades than others. I can assure you it was not our intent to offend anyone. We simply used the sets available
    to fill 3,000 orders the best we could.

APMEX did not make any guarantees as to the grade of coins within the set except that they would be BU or better. Everyone that had the opportunity to
    order was given the option to request an ungraded set. The U.S. Mint mandated that APMEX sell all sets in our possession, which we have done. Because
    of this, we will not have any on hand for returns or exchanges.

If you are not satisfied with the ATB 5-Coin set you received, please let us know and we will be happy to issue a return authorization for refund.
    Another option would be to contact our Purchasing department to sell the coins back to APMEX. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of assistance.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns." >>

When were we offered the option to request an ungraded set? Did I miss something?
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options
    We initially tried to produce sets of like grading

because????? Wouldn't it have been lest costly than grading, easier and less work to randomly insert 5 pucks? Everyone was paying the same amount of money. I love it, its almost as good as the "experiment" excuse. image

• Options

<< <i>I talked with diamond depository this morning. My coins were mailed out on June 1st, so I should have them today. We shall see ! >>

I got my coins finally from Prudential. It was worth the wail, they are all beautiful . They have not been cherry picked as I see at least 3 of them

are DMPL. If you have not ordered from them yet then do it as that is the last AP that has any and you will not be sorry. It is off to PCGS

tomorrow with this set.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the word on Gettysburgs and Glaciers ?

Lots of DMPLs ? Lots of High Grades?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I did the post-ATB survey sent out by Apmex and here is the response I got today. The reason for "sets of like

"Good Afternoon,

...We initially tried to produce sets of like grading, which was the reason for the lettering on some boxes. Towards the mid-way point we were unable to
    continue because there were more of some grades than others. I can assure you it was not our intent to offend anyone." >>

The above is the third apmex 2010 puck explanation I've seen. A while ago, (two, three weeks?, I'm not going to bother go looking, I know it's there) was the production line apmex explanation in emails sent and posted on this list.

Now comes the "We initially tried to produce sets of like grading, which was the reason for the lettering on some boxes. Towards the mid-way point" explanation in emails recently sent to customers who responded to the apmex survey.

Unfortunately, the second apmex explanation was published by CW last week - the 'letter on the box equals the ship date'. Apmex spokesmen cited below -

So, by my count that's three, count 'em three, different explanations as to who, what, where, when, how and why apmex did what it did in the distribution of the 2010 pucks. No explanation makes any sense. Should of just put the pucks in air-tites and shipped 'em IMO.

My BS-o-meter is broken.

apmex, get your story straight.

apmex has a new explanation a week. Suggestion to apmex - STOP SHOVELING. The hole is deep enough... image
  • Options

<< <i> Suggestion to apmex - STOP SHOVELING. The hole is deep enough... image >>

I have to agree.

I saw the D and knew what was inside.

It was inside. Same as every other D box.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the same exact response from Apmex after I filled out my survey and questioned the lettered boxes and why that most new customers received the crap boxes. I was going to respond to it but just figured why bother, getting tired of their lies.

Maine_Jim
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I ordered 2010 bullion sets from most AP's mentioned here. I got what I ordered at the price quoted. My thanks to the AP's. >>

image >>

If I worked for or was associated with an AP, that's exactly what i would post. image >>

And if you didn't work for an AP but did get what you ordered at the price you were quoted, would you still find something, anything to whine about?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am STILL WAITING for my set from APMEX. I'll call tomorrow and see what the excuse is this week. Anyone else still waiting for theirs?

Got my Glacier's from Prudential today. They are probably PLs. Well packaged and look nice.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Suggestion to apmex - STOP SHOVELING. The hole is deep enough... image >>

I have to agree.

I saw the D and knew what was inside.

It was inside. Same as every other D box. >>

As with any other type of business when I'm lied to and I know the people are slime balls I would never in a million years do business with that company again. At one point I said I wouldn't do business with Apmex unless they were the only ones who had something I wanted. Now....I will look harder, pay more or do without. Case closed!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the word on Gettysburgs and Glaciers ?

Lots of DMPLs ? Lots of High Grades? >>

507365 2011 25C Gettysburg NP 5 oz Silver MS / 0 / 68
    507366 2011 25C Gettysburg NP 5 oz Silver, MSPL / 147 / 6,103
    507367 2011 25C Gettysburg NP 5 oz Silver, MSDM / 9 / 657
    507375 2011 25C Glacier NP 5 oz Silver , MSPL / 0 / 1,461
    507378 2011 25C Olympic NP 5 oz Silver, MSPL / 0 / 165
    --------------

First column is ms68, second ms69. Looks like ~10% Getty's were 69dm. No DM's yet for Glacier/Oly?

My Gettys took almost a week to get processed in after delivery. Now the lonnnngggg wait.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>

--------------

First column is ms68, second ms69. Looks like ~10% Getty's were 69dm. No DM's yet for Glacier/Oly?

My Gettys took almost a week to get processed in after delivery. Now the lonnnngggg wait. >>

Although I bought a pcgs 69DM Glacier on the Bay . So pops are not up to date of course.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I ordered 2010 bullion sets from most AP's mentioned here. I got what I ordered at the price quoted. My thanks to the AP's. >>

image >>

If I worked for or was associated with an AP, that's exactly what i would post. image >>

And if you didn't work for an AP but did get what you ordered at the price you were quoted, would you still find something, anything to whine about? >>

You must be missing the point by responding that way. No one is debating the product (bullion) was ordered at a certain price and delivered. The injustice was the method of distribution by some APs. AMARK, Fidelitrade and CnT, based upon my personal experience, did their distributions without selecting or cherry-pucking their inventory. Kudos to them! Some of the others, which do not deserve mention in the same paragraph and have been noted on this forum, chose to bend the rules at best, or manipulate the market/profit themselves at worst. Don't lump all the AP's together as there was a huge difference amongst them in the way some companies approached this ATB 5oz roll out.

So there's your whine with no cheese.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    I received one set from Fidelitrade and one from Dillon Gage. Both sets are ungraded, and I am extremely happy with all coins in both sets. I actually wanted the raw coins as keepers.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    My buddy received his Prudential set yesterday. He indicated to me they are all scratched up...He was fairly disappointed after waiting so long. That's all for today...image
  • Options

Wow, I am sorry to hear that, I just got my set from Prudential on Monday and they were beautiful. They were on their way to PCGS yesterday.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

--------------

My Gettys took almost a week to get processed in after delivery. Now the lonnnngggg wait. >>

Although I bought a pcgs 69DM Glacier on the Bay . So pops are not up to date of course. >>

2065 - glacier ms69dmpl, the most of any puck so far.
    669 - gettysburg ms69dmpl, the least of any puck so far.

ALL the pucks pops have been stagnant for the past week or so, I'd expect an increase in the numbers, whenever pcgs get around to it.

• Options

<< <i>My buddy received his Prudential set yesterday. He indicated to me they are all scratched up...He was fairly disappointed after waiting so long. That's all for today...image >>

Most sets from Pru that have been reported on seem to be of good/excellent quality. Tough luck....

Mine shipped today so I should be able to comment further in a few days (Delaware to Mass. registered)
  • Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am STILL WAITING for my set from APMEX. I'll call tomorrow and see what the excuse is this week. Anyone else still waiting for theirs?

Got my Glacier's from Prudential today. They are probably PLs. Well packaged and look nice. >>

Was that a misstake when you said you got a Glacier Puck from Prudential? I assumed they had not certified that they sold all their 2010 by the mint deadline, so they didn't have any of the 2011's yet.

If they were from Prudential, how many did you buy?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So there's your whine with no cheese. >>

image good one

Keep in mind most purchases of new coin products from third parties have been cherry picked unless purchased sealed. That's why major dealers such as Tulving have two prices for ASE's and ATB's: Sealed boxes and open boxes. I never assume a non-sealed mint product has not been cherry picked.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    image It's all good. I'm going to try and be more positive to match my wonderful personality. image
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    Just got my grades and was completely waxed. These pieces were the best, sorted out of 6 sets I bought from the APs. All of these looked better than the APMEX MS69PL pieces I received and I felt all had a shot at MS69DMPL.

Here's the results on the "best of my best". This was my second ATB submission and looked far better than the first and graded far worse. image

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got my grades and was completely waxed. These pieces were the best, sorted out of 6 sets I bought from the APs. All of these looked better than the APMEX MS69PL pieces I received and I felt all had a shot at MS69DMPL.

Here's the results on the "best of my best". This was my second ATB submission and looked far better than the first and graded far worse. image

image >>

A 62, 63 + a 64? And two 68s? Holy Cow.

I don't know what to think anymore about the grading of the pucks.

Seems the grading process went thru infancy and enthusiasm when every puck was fantastic.

Next came adolescence with the introduction of PL + DMPL recognition.

Now maturity has set in, so many pucks have been seen by the graders to base judgment on, that the puck grading has become far more stringent than it used to be.

What else could it be? image

edited to correct my 68 counting from three to two. 3 + 2 does not equal six
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    Who's going to crack out there high grades and see if they come back the same image
  • Options

<< <i>A 62, 63 + a 64? And two 68s? Holy Cow. >>

Holy Cow is right. The only way the coins I submitted could have graded 62, 63 + a 64 is if they were damaged in transit.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    This seems to support earlier mention that PCGS grading has gotten tougher and in fact may not be based on independent objective criteria.
    Very distressing and certainly I will not be submitting anymore anytime soon.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Separately, I have purchased Glacier, Gettysburg and now an Olympic puck from Provident and they have all been real dogs....lots of scratches, rim dings etc.
    I remember hearing that Gainesville was getting them from Jack Hunt so I definitely do not want to buy there.
    Where have people been getting good quality single new release bullion pucks from?
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Yep, do the math.

One BIG customer sends you 3000 coins to grade, you can't tell me they won't get their quota of 69DMPL's.

Then

they have to keep the 69DMPL pops low so said customer keeps the exclusive grades,

Thus,

Us little people get the shaft.

I have one more set coming from Prudential and I am NOT going to waste $350 to grade them no matter how good they look, not because they aren't 69DMPL's, but because PCGS will not give me 'the' grade.

• Options
    The 68PLs and the 68DM don't surprise me. You know that can happen. The 62, 63 & 64? I have not a clue as to how that could happen with pristine, hand-selected pieces with no visible flaws. I'm not kidding. These pieces were absolutely stunning. A 62 & 63? They would have to have been beaten up somewhere along the line and cannot look like they did when I packaged them.

I will update this post this weekend when I have them in hand. At $65/coin with round trip shipping? My hind-end is a bit sore tonight. image
  • Options

<< <i>Separately, I have purchased Glacier, Gettysburg and now an Olympic puck from Provident and they have all been real dogs....lots of scratches, rim dings etc.
    I remember hearing that Gainesville was getting them from Jack Hunt so I definitely do not want to buy there.
    Where have people been getting good quality single new release bullion pucks from? >>

Ebay
    Moderncoinmart
    etc.

If you don't want to shell out for a 69dmpl, get a lower grade. Atleast you'll know what you are getting.
    Also be patient, they will come down.

• Options

<< <i>Who's going to crack out there high grades and see if they come back the same image >>

I had 4 yosemites 68dmpl cracked and dipped they looked twice as good took notes on scratches and spots could not tell which coins were which after dipping scratches went away they looked great . got 1-68 dimple back 2-67`s 1-66 so much for shooting for a 69.
  • Options
    That really sums it up!
    Would support inconsistency in grading.
    I won't be wasting any more cash grading.
    Thanks for this info.
  • Options
    I rest uneasy with the acetone dipping concept. I would be very curious to see what an official grader would think about the before and after acetoning affects.

There are too many stories of so-called 69dmpl's coming back in FAR low grades after being treated.

Especially with these .999 silver coins -- way too soft and susceptible to very minor abrasions.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    I don't have much to base it on, but it does seem like grading has gotten tougher.

And yes.....dipping .999 silver is not for me....

Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    acetone does not react with the silver.

it is a type of organic solvent.

it'll take off grease and such.

• Options
    It's not a question of reactivity. The problem is .999 is so soft, you've gotta be extremely careful. The last time I did it, I felt like I got abrasions drying with a soft kitchen towel.
  • Options

<< <i>acetone does not react with the silver.

it is a type of organic solvent.

it'll take off grease and such. >>

Maybe so, but I'm not hearing of stories of enhanced ATB grades AFTER treating, have you?
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I use an acetone soak because someone indicated it might help protect from future spotting. It has also
    removed "gunk" from several coins as well. Once more, here are the instructions:

Acetone Tech

Pink - spend $10 & get a cheap blow dryer. Otherwise, drying with a towel could very well scratch a DMPL coin.
    And use two distilled water bath rinses. Were you able to find another brand of acetone that didn't spot?

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>I use an acetone soak because someone indicated it might help protect from future spotting. It has also
    removed "gunk" from several coins as well. Once more, here are the instructions:

Acetone Tech

Pink - spend $10 & get a cheap blow dryer. Otherwise, drying with a towel could very well scratch a DMPL coin.
    And use two distilled water bath rinses. Were you able to find another brand of acetone that didn't spot? >>

To clarify---I did actually use a blowdryer and a distilled rinse (which had to be quick to avoid spotting!). I did place it on a towel afterward....no rubbing involved. Not sure where I could have gotten the abrasions from by it's gotta take a lot to demote to 61PL! It certainly didn't look 61 when it was submitted. Possibly damage in shipment? I have yet to see the slabbed coin.

Haven't tried a different acetone rinse. I got caught up in moving. BUT---I can assure you, next time I use a "unproven" brand of acetone, it's going to get tested on some old 90% first!
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I'm not sending any more coins in for grading until I can document the condition of each one with sharp photos.
    That way, if they come back with low grades due to scratching I'll have a talking point.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Who's going to crack out there high grades and see if they come back the same image >>

I had 4 yosemites 68dmpl cracked and dipped they looked twice as good took notes on scratches and spots could not tell which coins were which after dipping scratches went away they looked great . got 1-68 dimple back 2-67`s 1-66 so much for shooting for a 69. >>

How does acetone remove scratches? Doesn't seem possible as it would have to fill in the scratch...
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options

<< <i>Separately, I have purchased Glacier, Gettysburg and now an Olympic puck from Provident and they have all been real dogs....lots of scratches, rim dings etc.
    Where have people been getting good quality single new release bullion pucks from? >>

I don't know about singles but I got a great looking roll of 10 Gettys from Provident and sent them all in for grading......probably all 62's after what I have been reading
  • Options

<< <i>

I don't know about singles but I got a great looking roll of 10 Gettys from Provident and sent them all in for grading......probably all 62's after what I have been reading >>

I am going to get through my roll of getty's today that I bought from gainsville. Top coin was DMPL deluxe. I will look at under 5x this time. I also might do an experiment with acetone. One with, one without kind of thing.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got an email from Apmex with the following text:

For the next 24 HOURS* purchase Gettysburg & Glacier Silver America The Beautiful Two Coin Sets or the Olympic National Park Coin for only $3.49 per oz. over spot (any quantity)! Purchase 5 or more of the sets or 10 or more of the Olympic coins and you will also receive FREE SHIPPING*! That's right, the ride is on us.

If you were waiting for closer to spot now is your chance! Of course spot is high but still these are close enough for me to order a set.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This seems to support earlier mention that PCGS grading has gotten tougher and in fact may not be based on independent objective criteria.
    Very distressing and certainly I will not be submitting anymore anytime soon. >>

not there at least
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

I sent 7 ATB coins in to PCGS on Tuesday, 5 undipped and 2 that had been dipped. I can tell the difference when they come back so we shall

see what happens.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This seems to support earlier mention that PCGS grading has gotten tougher and in fact may not be based on independent objective criteria.
    Very distressing and certainly I will not be submitting anymore anytime soon. >>

not there at least >>

Problem is there is a big price difference at this time between pl and dmpl so for the bullion versions the dmpl is a big deal. I think I'll send the P pucks elsewhere
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭✭
    15k??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file