Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2011 Topps Heritage Thread: no sticker autos in THIS product!

Comments

• Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I agree wholeheartedly on the chrome split up - its a transparently lame attempt to get cross-product interest, and they should have figured out it doesn't work. It just p*sses off the loyal base product consumers. Here's another one: those stupid super duper short prints. i don't mind having a few hard to find cards, but at least make them a 1-2 per case kind of thing, rather than 1 per 15+ cases!

how about decent buybacks? i don't mind Ex cards, but how about some stars? And those stamps on the buybacks are just plain lame!
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

The last couple of years even the distribution of the short prints are off.....how can someone get 5 short print Justin Duchscherer cards but not an Albert Pujols (regular issue) in a case last year.

Which one was the short print?

Is there anything worse than getting to the SP slot in the pack to find you have five of them...

Except maybe getting the one relic card per box to find it's damaged (I had about five last year that had band marks on the edges, as though they were on the top of a shipment, like the old days with rubberbands)

• Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Koufax is in!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Walt....are...you....saying....Koufax....has...a....hard....signed....auto? Massive!
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I just got a text from Joe Bavaro with the news. That's a huge addition. Anyone else, Kevin?
  • Options
    Wow, that is huge news! I emailed blowout yesterday to see what kind of price break they would give me if I order five cases.....said they would give me $10 off a case....doesn't seem like much.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that is huge news! I emailed blowout yesterday to see what kind of price break they would give me if I order five cases.....said they would give me $10 off a case....doesn't seem like much. >>

what a joke.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    For those with past Heritage auto experience, what will this years Koufax auto card sell for on the secondary market?
    I may just buy the thing outright versus buying a bunch of boxes or case.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    I'd imagine at least a couple hundred for a blue auto, minimum - that's of course dependent on there being the standard 200 or so blue autos. if there are less, then throw the $200 out the window. If Topps actually packs the things out, the hype will be huge - this is by far the biggest name in the checklist in several years.
  • Options
    I emailed Clay at topps to ask about the print runs even though Im sure he will stonewall me on that info.

As a loooong time heritage collector I am majorly excited about this news. THIS is why I collect and the Koufax market has been dry for a long time. I can picture this
    card in a screw down next to the rest of my real ones. I'm really thinking about ditching wax and just taking my money and buying the Sandy auto.

Anyone notice the mid March release? This is 2 weeks late, that sucks.

Waalt
  • Options
    bjbrall4bjbrall4 Posts: 277 ✭✭
    I recently won a case of 2011 Heritage on eBay for $618 ($51.50 per box), assuming the guy actually delivers at that price. With nine cards per pack, that's the equivalent of an extra box and a half per case compared to last year. Maybe I'll actually be able to complete a master set from one case.
  • Options

<< <i>I recently won a case of 2011 Heritage on eBay for $618 ($51.50 per box), assuming the guy actually delivers at that price. With nine cards per pack, that's the equivalent of an extra box and a half per case compared to last year. Maybe I'll actually be able to complete a master set from one case. >>

this is Topps you're talking about, remember? With their collation, you'll be missing at least one base card, and have quintuplets of at least two of the short prints.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I recently won a case of 2011 Heritage on eBay for $618 ($51.50 per box), assuming the guy actually delivers at that price. With nine cards per pack, that's the equivalent of an extra box and a half per case compared to last year. Maybe I'll actually be able to complete a master set from one case. >>

this is Topps you're talking about, remember? With their collation, you'll be missing at least one base card, and have quintuplets of at least two of the short prints. >>

If topps reads my list of suggestions this will be fixed.
  • Options
    Any idea what on earth happened with all of the chrome cards this year in the update sets and if that's going to be corrected to never happen again? The curl on the cards is impossible to get rid of.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like there will only be 200 Auto's in Blue Ink for this Heritage Koufax release?
    Are there red parallels? etc...

Would it be wiser to wait on purchasing one on eBay? trying to guage timing of purchase after product release to get the best deal....

I'm asking based on past Heritage auto releases and market values, i'm sure this Koufax will be signficant compared to the others.

I'm also very excited to see Stan Musial auto's in this release.

Should be a dandy product.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I'm guessing that Koufax would be about $300 or so.
  • Options
    What are the best prices for presell, and is there confirmation of the nine card pack?

And does anyone know why they went to nine cards, are they increasing the price per pack?
  • Options
    I could see something like 62 red ink and 25 blue ink. Sandy charges a ton for his graph.
  • Options
    Walt-

Has Topps officially addressed what exactly happened with the chrome releases (the "curl") to end the year and how they're going to (hopefully) prevent that from ever happening again?

Heritage chrome, Bowman chrome, Topps chrome...all of them look horrible. I'm trying to flatten out some cards in an album, and it's just not working. I've never seen cards like this before. It's terrible.

Was it a cheaper method they used?
  • Options
    Topps has not said anything about the bad quality on the late release chrome cards, but you can believe that they heard ALOT from collectors unhappy about
    how presale cases showed up. Lets hope they get this fixed by the time chrome hits in March with heritage. I would suggest putting any chrome card that you
    want unwarped into a top loader, After a while it will be ok.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like there will only be 200 Auto's in Blue Ink for this Heritage Koufax release?
    Are there red parallels? etc...

Would it be wiser to wait on purchasing one on eBay? trying to guage timing of purchase after product release to get the best deal....

I'm asking based on past Heritage auto releases and market values, i'm sure this Koufax will be signficant compared to the others.

I'm also very excited to see Stan Musial auto's in this release.

Should be a dandy product. >>

Koufax and Musial is sweet stuff.

I love the 62 look and being a coin geek love the coin additions.

Expecting this to be a very nice product.

March is a loooong way off. (gives plenty of time to get tax money back for a case image)

This will be my first journey into Topps Heritage.

Joe
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    If any of your fellas end up with extra Frank Thomas signatures, please let me know.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    After some research, here are some of the quirks of the 1962 Topps set:

1) Mini sub-set (135-144) honoring Babe Ruth. Maybe Heritage will be Mantle or Aaron?
    2) The 2nd series had 2 distinct printings, one printing had a green tint. Maybe Heritage will have regular backs vs. green tint backs?
    3) Card #139 has 3 cards: 139A Babe Ruth, 139B Hal Reniff with hands over head, 139C Hal Reniff Pitching. Cards #139C & 159 have the same pose. Possible SSP?
    4) Two poses exist for these cards: 129 Walls,132 Angels Team,147 Kunkel,174 Willey,176 Yost,190 Moon. Possible SPs?
    5) Cards # 22, #192, & 516 Checklists have 2 variations.
    6) Card #392 Ken Boyer has batting average listed as .392. This is an uncorrected error. Curious to see if Heritage does same thing.
    7) Card# 5 Koufax Struck Ou 18, another uncorrected error.
    8) Card# 279 Landrith Incorrect birthdate, another uncorrected error.
    9) Cards # 458 Buhl & 462 Tasby have cards with emblems on caps and other cards with no emblems.
    10) Card #478 Zimmer lists with Reds but photo is Mets cap.
    11) Card #490 Boyer - Reversed negative
    12) Card #521 Davis Listed as OF on front and P on back

I think I listed all the quirks of the 1962 Topps set. I wonder how close Topps will mirror the 1962 set.
  • Options
    great info, has the checklist with all the card numbers come out yet? There is more value when they SSP stars versus guys like Fred Lewis.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

That is a sweet card with the sig!

One day I hope to add a Koufax card and sig back into my collection.

brian
  • Options
    After some research, here are some of the quirks of the 1962 Topps set:

1) Mini sub-set (135-144) honoring Babe Ruth. Maybe Heritage will be Mantle or Aaron?
    2) The 2nd series had 2 distinct printings, one printing had a green tint. Maybe Heritage will have regular backs vs. green tint backs?
    3) Card #139 has 3 cards: 139A Babe Ruth, 139B Hal Reniff with hands over head, 139C Hal Reniff Pitching. Cards #139C & 159 have the same pose. Possible SSP?
    4) Two poses exist for these cards: 129 Walls,132 Angels Team,147 Kunkel,174 Willey,176 Yost,190 Moon. Possible SPs?
    5) Cards # 22, #192, & 516 Checklists have 2 variations.
    6) Card #392 Ken Boyer has batting average listed as .392. This is an uncorrected error. Curious to see if Heritage does same thing.
    7) Card# 5 Koufax Struck Ou 18, another uncorrected error.
    8) Card# 279 Landrith Incorrect birthdate, another uncorrected error.
    9) Cards # 458 Buhl & 462 Tasby have cards with emblems on caps and other cards with no emblems.
    10) Card #478 Zimmer lists with Reds but photo is Mets cap.
    11) Card #490 Boyer - Reversed negative
    12) Card #521 Davis Listed as OF on front and P on back

I think I listed all the quirks of the 1962 Topps set. I wonder how close Topps will mirror the 1962 set.

According to a proposed checklist I saw in October:
    1) Cards 135-144 are Babe Ruth;
    3) Card 159 is Joba Chamberlain;(wasn't Reniff a Yankee?)
    4) #129 is Carlos Quentin; #132 is again the Angels' team card; #147 is Joakim Soria; #174 is Jon Garland; #176 is Chase Headley; #190 is Todd Helton;
    5) #'s 22 and 192 are again CL's; the set ends at #500.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Hank Aaron is in as well! This is looking to be one of the best Heritage autograph programs in years!

Hank Aaron signs with Topps

On the heels of announcing that Sandy Koufax would be signing autographs for 2011 Topps products, the company is pleased to announce that another legend will be joining its list of autograph signers

The first 2011 products to find Aaron's autograph will be:

2011 Topps Heritage: Hank will be signing for the Real One Autographs program.

2011 Topps Tribute: With the addition of Aaron, this checklist keeps getting better and better. Look for Hank's autographed Relics!

2011 Gypsy Queen: Aaron will be joining Sandy Koufax on the list of signers for these stunning on-card autographs.
  • Options
    Boo Ya
  • Options
    Man those always look great....but I usually end up with Marv Breeding

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Where is the best place to look for a pre-sale case of this stuff.
  • Options
    rumor is that Hank's auto looks like crap now, can anyone confirm?

Kevin
  • Options
    I'm guessing blowout will be at $1000/case by Feb., right now they are at $700. I'd really like to find some for $650 or so.
  • Options
    Odds on Mays being added next?

And Geordie, keep your nicknames to yourself please
  • Options
    Mays, Musial, Brooks.....I would be ok with that.
  • Options
    Looks like right now $700 is the presell price
  • Options
    Does anyone know where you can get a copy of the 2011 Heritage checklist in excel (or have a copy for download)?
  • Options
    There's a preliminary checklist from Alma1960 on page 2 of this thread.
  • Options
    Yes, I have that one in pdf format, is it easy to convert to excel or do you have to convert it to a text file first? I wasn't sure if anyone had a link to an excel one.
  • Options
    Man I can't believe we have to wait till March 17th for our Heritage fix this year! Anyone know why the release is later this year? I like the '62's. I will definitely be getting a case of this.
  • Options
    Is the release date still in March? I was hoping Topps would move it up to February.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a huge fan of '62 but this Heriatge set looks great ! I have to agree with Jim & others about chrome seeding and other points he made.
    I started searching presell prices a couple weeks ago, Big t, blowout & atlanta sportscards were all around $865/case. Gcx had them as of last weekend at $750/case. I ordered 1 of those.
    Can't wait for this to arrive , last I saw release date listed as 3/16.
    Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Man I can't believe we have to wait till March 17th for our Heritage fix this year! Anyone know why the release is later this year? I like the '62's. I will definitely be getting a case of this. >>

I heard they have to wait until a certain set reseller signs off on the colors in the wood border. image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Blowout is selling cases for $850 now. Maybe there will be a wrapper redemption program like there was in 2011 Topps.

Craig from Texas
  • Options

Blowout is at $930 a case today, unless you have a different website.
  • Options
    While I really enjoy and look forward to Heritage every year, I really get tired of the pricing B.S.. You have three choices:
    1. Pre-order 3 months ahead of time to get a decent price.
    2. Wait and order close to release and pay $200-$250 more for a case.
    3. Wait for a month after release so you get a decent price but miss out on all the great trading that goes on.

Heritage is the only modern I buy and this may well be my last year.
  • Options
    Because of the release calendar, heritage now always falls in the middle of a dry spot for baseball....a dry spot right at the beginning of the season! Quite frankly
    topps could sell anything at that point. This is the first year I have thought about NOT buying heritage. It would almost make more sense to save your money, buy
    the few high end hits you want and then pick up a set later on when its dirt cheap. Heritage has been short printed since 09 and that stuff was garbage. I honestly
    thing that there are enough set builders here, where you can actually buy a few boxes and make enough trades to get close to a set. Hit and SSP, nice black chrome
    or Sandy auto and you can buy your set right there. I have collected heritage since 01 and Ginter since 06, I was very mad that topps screwed up Ginter by hyping
    the Strasburg mini and prices went through the roof. I hope they don't do the same with someone like that in heritage.

Remember last year, retail was everywhere AND it had exclusive hits in it...something to think about when card shops and distributors get greedy.
  • Options
    With a somewhat loyal base, I not sure why the "decision makers" at Topps always try to pull off some gimic to increase sales.

That wasn't more evident with the introduction of the SSPs.

(and let's not forget about the "super packs" with all the SSPs)

The difference with the retail is the quality control (or lack of), with the hobby it was pretty consistent (per pack and per box).

Retail, you could open pack after pack and not get anything.

FOCUS on QUALITY and collation ( Do I really need to go pay $20 at Dean's Cards for a 2006 SP of Jay Payton??), NOT gimics.

I guess that is my beef......but I'm always optimistic!

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I'm still pondering whether I should purchase a package of this product