Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2011 Topps Heritage Thread: no sticker autos in THIS product!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Geordie.

Set looks really great. Let's hope the checklist is as strong as last years.

• Options
    My favorite thread of the year! I've never been a big fan of the 62's, probably goes back to how many of those darn 87 cards I opened as a kid, but those look sharp. I don't know if I like the coin card, seems kind of cheesy. Depending on how my upcoming litter of pups do I might go for five cases again this year.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My favorite thread of the year! I've never been a big fan of the 62's, probably goes back to how many of those darn 87 cards I opened as a kid, but those look sharp. I don't know if I like the coin card, seems kind of cheesy. Depending on how my upcoming litter of pups do I might go for five cases again this year. >>

Same for me, re: the 87s. I love this set, and may purchase a case of it.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will it be a real 1962 coin in there? One 1962 half dollar is worth over $8.50 due to it's silver content.
  • Options
    I'va actually always been fond of 1962's. This may be the year I finally jump on the Heritage bandwagon.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait, I love the 62's.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Maybe some decent autographs too.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Just noticed that Kaline made a game-saving catch... while carrying a bat

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    That 62 Musial Preview card is very nice. Will be keeping an eye on these.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe some decent autographs too. >>

the unfortunate possibility with the Musial will be his health. His signature has deteriorated considerably lately and no longer resembles the mockup.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>Will it be a real 1962 coin in there? One 1962 half dollar is worth over $8.50 due to it's silver content. >>

If the 1962 Franklin 50 cent coin is Brilliant Uncirculated its worth a lot more then $8.50. I kinda like the coin card bit it is kinda cheesy though. Like Topps is trying to pull in coin collectors or something...
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the 1962 Franklin 50 cent coin is Brilliant Uncirculated.......... >>

Very big if, I wouldn't count on it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Will it be a real 1962 coin in there? One 1962 half dollar is worth over $8.50 due to it's silver content. >>

If the 1962 Franklin 50 cent coin is Brilliant Uncirculated its worth a lot more then $8.50. I kinda like the coin card bit it is kinda cheesy though. Like Topps is trying to pull in coin collectors or something... >>

God forbid - that's all we need around here - more whackjob coin guys. (with apologies to grote)
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    What about green tint cards?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Jeez! Ichiro looks like a juice head!

• Options
    tillertiller Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Looking forward to it. Start saving some dough.
  • Options
    Nice...looking forward to collecting this set. 87 was the first complete set I ever put togther through packs....so I always kinda liked the 62's as well. Anyone know the approximate release date? March-ish?
  • Options

<< <i>That 62 Musial Preview card is very nice. Will be keeping an eye on these. >>

I completely agree with this. That Musial is gorgeous and I might end up buying a case of this
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I guess Im the only one to not like them? 62s were boring and remind me of the awful 87s. I like the Musial as well...but I think they should have used a different image cuz I can just go buy myself an original 62 Musial. Musial still signs so get your own original 62 Musial signed too LOL

But before I bought a case of this stuff, I think I would just buy the cards I want.

I do understand that people like them and I do understand why. Just my own 2 cents of my own thoughts image
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    yes this set looks very nice once again, look has never been a problem with heritage, but keep a few things in mind. First none of the
    cards pictured are real. Topps photoshops ALL of their presell cards. Based upon the past few years there is a high chance that many
    of these cards will never make it into the product. I would also keep in mind that Musial autograph does not look like that anymore,
    it never will. Topps has shown beautiful cards like this for a few years now, only to cut them at the last minute.

I know most of you know this, but there are some newbies here that need to know this before they rush out and buy a case. So is this
    the official post now?

Thanks
    Waalt
  • Options

<< <i>yes this set looks very nice once again, look has never been a problem with heritage, but keep a few things in mind. First none of the
    cards pictured are real. Topps photoshops ALL of their presell cards. Based upon the past few years there is a high chance that many
    of these cards will never make it into the product. I would also keep in mind that Musial autograph does not look like that anymore,
    it never will. Topps has shown beautiful cards like this for a few years now, only to cut them at the last minute.

I know most of you know this, but there are some newbies here that need to know this before they rush out and buy a case. So is this
    the official post now?

Thanks
    Waalt >>

I didnt know that on the mock ups of the cards. Thanks for the info. I love the 60s and the 62s so I might go back and get some of the 2009s. The 2011s though look really nice, hopefully they will look that nice when they come out
  • Options
    Did they give a time table for it to come out?
  • Options
    George, I'm sure it'll be late Feb - that's been the time frame the last several years.
  • Options
    George, I'm sure it'll be late Feb - that's been the time frame the last several years.

That's what i am thinking also! I hope we get some nice autos to chase.
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen the sell sheet....or is that later in the year?
  • Options
    I would love to see real one autographs of these 62 rookies:

Boog Powell
    Tim McCarver
    Gaylord Perry
    Joe Torre
    Lou Brock
    Bob Uecker
    Tom Tresh

Do you think topps will do something special with the Mets cards? Not only their first season, but they only won 40 games that year.

Walt
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>What about green tint cards? >>

Ha! I was thinking the same thing! If so, it should be for the cards #d 110 thru 196 like actually happened. I was going to try and not get excited about this particular Heritage set, but after seeing the promos, I'm hooked...
  • Options
    Walt, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Tom Tresh passed away 2 years ago.
  • Options
    Just came across this checklist link:

2011 Topps Heritage preliminary checklist

A sales sheet is also posted on the magazine-exchange.com website.

I plan to buy 2 cases, my biggest Heritage initial investment yet. I love all the sets from the 1960's.
    Collect HOF on card autographs -PSA graded

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

Topps Heritage Blue Autos (2016-2022)
  • Options
    thanks for the checklist link, Mark!

if the high numbers hold true (426-500) then the AL All Stars are SPed, but not the NL. Looks like we have our first year of 'floating head' rookie cards - Rookie Parade #s 493-500 are 5 players to a card, but #489 Espinosa is by himself. Gotta be a misprint, unless there was a precedent set in the original '62 set.

card #139 is a Babe Ruth reprint, which coincides somewhat with the original #139, which has four variations - two of which Ruth is on. Trouble is, #139 is just one of 10 different Ruth reprints in the series (135-144)

pharber needs to come around again and give us all the nuances of the original set like he used to with the past issues.

here's a pretty good article on the '62 set, including lots of info on the variations

here's a partial list of variations I found:

22a: 1st Series Ck List...121-176 on Back
    22b: 1st Series Ck List...33-88 on Back
    129a: Lee Walls...Pinstriped Jersey
    129b: Lee Walls...Plain Jersey
    132a: Los Angeles Angels Team...With Inset Photos
    132b: Los Angeles Angels Team...No Inset Photos
    134a: Billy Hoeft...Green Sky
    134b: Billy Hoeft...Blue Sky
    139a: Hal Reniff...Pitching
    139b: Hal Reniff...Portrait
    139c: Babe Hits 60...Pole in Background at Left
    139d: Babe Hits 60...No Pole
    147a: Bill Krunkel...Ball in Hand
    147b: Bill Krunkel...Portrait
    174a: Carl Willey...With Cap
    174b: Carl Willey...No Cap
    176a: Eddie Yost...Batting
    176b: Eddie Yost...Portrait
    190a: Wally Moon...With Cap
    190b: Wally Moon...No Cap
    192a: 3rd Series Ck List...192 is Ck List, 3
    192b: 3rd Series Ck List...192 is Ck List 3
    458a: Bob Buhl...M on Cap
    458b Bob Buhl...Plain Cap
    462a: Willie Tasby...W on Cap
    462b: Willie Tasby...Plain Cap
  • Options
    Some nice HOF'ers on the autograph checklist, but I doubt half of them will actually make it into the product. No way Musial gets in.
  • Options
    the only think i will need is money!
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Boy, your 2010 WS champs are getting no Chrome or auto love this year. Hopefully that will be rectified in the TBD. Last year Cain was on the sell sheet and didn't appear. That bummed me out.

By the way, I'm taking nominations again this year.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    No mention of ad panels, any word on that? I'm not fond of the '62 set but will definitely get a case of this.
    Maybe I've missed it, but did they do a high number set this year?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Anthony, no high number series this year. The only Heritage update occurred in chrome - 50 new cards were inserted in regular Topps Chrome
  • Options
    I have the ear of a certain topps employee and he is interseted in suggestions for 2011 topps heritage, if anyone has
    something they would like added or more importantly changed, please send me a PM.

Thanks
    Walt
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>No mention of ad panels, any word on that? I'm not fond of the '62 set but will definitely get a case of this.
    Maybe I've missed it, but did they do a high number set this year? >>

Anthony-

Topps has ad panels listed in their sell sheet in which they will be seeded 1:3 boxes (alternating with baseball bucks and stamps)

Not a big fan of the 1962 set either. I'm guessing the black chromes borders will cover the lower right hand corner of the base cards. Not sure how those will look.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just noticed that Kaline made a game-saving catch... while carrying a bat

image >>

He was THAT good.
  • Options

<< <i>I have the ear of a certain topps employee and he is interseted in suggestions for 2011 topps heritage, if anyone has
    something they would like added or more importantly changed, please send me a PM.

Thanks
    Walt >>

Walt, I really wish they would stop putting Heritage Chrome in other products.. 2008 in Topps Chrome, 2009 not in Topps Chrome, 2010 back in Topps Chrome with 50 cards. I think Topps Heritage collectors are mostly set builders which means a lot of us want predictability about what makes a complete set. I'm cool with insert ratios on SSP like the Mantle, Maris, and Ruth cards from 2010, but those color variations or the black and white cards from 2009 are too super rare for me as a set builder. The panels are OK, but I could live without them. I do very much like the changes on SPs being in order at the end as high numbers and having a different shaded back. One last feature I would like to see is for the set to more closely parallel the original set like it did in 2001 and 2002. If the 1962 set had 598 cards then put 598 cards in the 2011 set.

On a random note, I needed to open some Heritage packs this week so I purchased a couple of 2009 blaster boxes for $17 each. I still have some work to do on my 2009 Regular and HI sets. First pack I opened I pulled a Pujols black chrome refractor numbered to 60. Very nice looking card. Go figure I buy a couple of cases each year and only pull black refractors of utility players and middle relievers.

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    The '62 Topps set is the only set I never bothered collecting. There are some great star cards, but they had to be safe with the expansion draft so many players are pictured without their hats, so you have tons of guys pictured in crew cuts. I'm hoping Heritgage passes on this aspect. Another issue with the original was the soft card stock, causing chipping along borders. The photos of the release are compelling...definitely raises my interest.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I have the ear of a certain topps employee and he is interseted in suggestions for 2011 topps heritage, if anyone has

Thanks
    Walt >>

Walt-

One thing off the top of my head would be the collation. It would be nice if you could get one complete set per case.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully they'll modernize the great in action cards of the 62 series - switch hitter connects, maris' 61st, etc - with some of the contemporary guys. That Kaline makes me think that they will miss the boat though. Definitely need Rookie Parades too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    The prelim checklist implied that there would be Rookie Parade cards, without checking I thought it was cards 493-500
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • Options
    I sent topps a short list of fixes and so far everyone who has posted something can feel good that their suggestion was on the list. I actually told them
    that splitting up the chromes through several products is ok as long as the big names are ALL in heritage. The few years that all semi stars where on the
    chrome checklist really watered down the product. Lets hope they listen. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks
  • Options
    Interesting on the sell sheet..it states the new mint cards.........will have a silver dollar for the hall of fame induction cards but it show the Franklin half dollar.........I don't think there was a silver dollar minted in 62(?)

it seems like it would weigh significantly more than the regular packs.

wish they would eliminate the card panel for more of the baseball bucks

I also thought the stamps were pretty cool, but numbered to 62, you never get a chance to collect the set (lucky to get one or two)

I don't mind the black borders or the autos being rare......but it would be nice if some of these other inserts were a little easier to get so you could work on completing a set without spending a couple grand.
  • Options
    Just something I noticed on two websites that had sell sheets posted: Each box with 24 packs and 9 cards per pack.

9 cards per pack? Think this is a misprint or is Topps increasing the cards from 8 to 9?

Best price per case I've seen so far is Atlanta Sportscards at $699.

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

• Options
    Blowout has the release date listed as March 17th, I wonder why it is so much later this year.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I think splitting up the Chromes over several Topps products pretty much sucks. Keep all the Heritage cards within one product offering.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I agree John.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's