Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Daniel Carr finally issues 1964-D fantasy overstrike

Comments

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

ratz....my first 300 too! do I get a ring for 299?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Strike 1,964 pieces.
    Then stamp them COPY. >>

In 2002 the Gallery Mint Museum contracted with the Full Step Nickel Club to strike 1,938 pieces of Ron Landis' interpretation of the original Felix Schlag design for the 1938 US nickel, featuring the 3/4 view of Monticello on the reverse (which, acc'd to Landis, was a bear to engrave.) These were counterstamped on Jefferson's shoulder with "FSNC 2002". In the end, Gallery Mint only struck several hundred since demand from the FSNC members and friends was not so significant. These are still available from the club in proof or matte finish and slabbed by SEGS in numbered holders.

Gallery Mint Museum Schlag pattern interpretation >>

I could be wrong but I believe that these sold out at the FSNC. I recall their presence at one of the Santa Clara Coin Shows where they were selling the last of these sets. >>

Last December at the Houston Money Show FSNC had a booth and they were still available. And earlier this year we had a FSNC speaker at our club and he said they still had some on hand. The July-Sept. 2009 issue of their newsletter, "The Portico" has an order form for them on page 2. But they may be out by now. There is also a big framed commemorative plaque with one of them in it that goes for $75 or more.
    PM me if you need the Houston area contact for the FSNC.
  • Options

<< <i>Something that does not meet the definition of hearsay would be a start. >>

I'm not trying to beat you up on this (really), but I asked what your definition of a "verifiable account" was, not what it wasn't. How could anyone even think about trying to provide what you're asking for if they don't know what it is that you would accept?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago we dealt in sports autographs, back when a certain Mr. Jordan was well known in these parts. We had an autographed bassetball that we got from a guy we knew who worked at the stadium. We were satisfied with its authenticity, and were willing to issue a COA in our name that it was genuine.

A guy came in to look at, but eventually declared that the only way he would buy one was if he could see Mr. Jordan sign it in front of him.

I said "OK, but of course you could never sell it, because the next person would not know that it was genuine."

The guy protested "Of course I could! I would have seen it signed!"

I don't think he ever got my point.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Strike 1,964 pieces.
    Then stamp them COPY. >>

In 2002 the Gallery Mint Museum contracted with the Full Step Nickel Club to strike 1,938 pieces of Ron Landis' interpretation of the original Felix Schlag design for the 1938 US nickel, featuring the 3/4 view of Monticello on the reverse (which, acc'd to Landis, was a bear to engrave.) These were counterstamped on Jefferson's shoulder with "FSNC 2002". In the end, Gallery Mint only struck several hundred since demand from the FSNC members and friends was not so significant. These are still available from the club in proof or matte finish and slabbed by SEGS in numbered holders.

Gallery Mint Museum Schlag pattern interpretation >>

I could be wrong but I believe that these sold out at the FSNC. I recall their presence at one of the Santa Clara Coin Shows where they were selling the last of these sets. >>

Last December at the Houston Money Show FSNC had a booth and they were still available. And earlier this year we had a FSNC speaker at our club and he said they still had some on hand. The July-Sept. 2009 issue of their newsletter, "The Portico" has an order form for them on page 2. But they may be out by now. There is also a big framed commemorative plaque with one of them in it that goes for $75 or more.
    PM me if you need the Houston area contact for the FSNC. >>

Thanks.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

These are on ebay........1964 D Proof ???Link
  • Options
    I would like to congratulate Mr Carr. Beautiful workmanship on a great coin.
    I wish him the best in this venture.

Regards, Larryimage
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a D. Carr medal in an anacs holder...

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We had an autographed bassetball that we got from a guy we knew who worked at the stadium. >>

Thank goodness the guy didn't work at a veterinarian's office.
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408

...at least it has the word copy stamped on it (for whatever that's worth)...

• Options

<< <i>These are on ebay........1964 D Proof ???Link >>

Disgusting, but clearly marked COPY of the eagle's butt.........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plated, too!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he is an asset to the board,
    and if it is legal to do,
    and he is not trying to deceive anyone,
    we should not treat him in the way you would treat
    our chinese counterfieiting friends.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How's that anacs slabbed piece only make 67??? I'd think anything he does, slips in a flip and then goes to a grader would be 70.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for the mintage, the final total is yet to be determined. It will definitely be less than 2,000. Perhaps a lot less. Not sure yet. >>

Then what, does he destroy the dies?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    It's not an original work of art.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got my order in... Total $115 image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This will only further polarize people here...

I found a Santa Claus Dollar??? >>

So....

This person is obviously confused by a simple sticker over a real dollar...

For those that are complaining about "future fraud" ::
    Should stickered dollars no longer be made because of the confusion?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>These are on ebay........1964 D Proof ???Link >>

Disgusting, but clearly marked COPY of the eagle's butt......... >>

Disgusting in what way?

execution? If so, I'd agree.

existence? It does have "copy" on it.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Please see the latest posting to my "Why Coin Dealers Drink" thread..........
    TD
  • Options

<< <i>These are on ebay........1964 D Proof ???Link

image >>

Thats the Royal Oak Mint coin, not Daniel Carr's.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>. I, personally, find this deceptive and just a greedy grab at money. To me, it is no better than Chinese counterfeits and someone, somewhere, down the line, WILL be deceptive with these because "they were struck". >>

I COMPLETELY Disagree with you. D Carr is one VERY TALENTED individual who produces high end art. People without talent bash him. >>

Well, that and the Attorney General of New York, Eliot Spitzer.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not an original work of art.

-D >>

It is, of course Anthony De Francisci's design.
    The coins come in double-pocket non-PVC flips with the coin in one pocket and a small certificate in the other.
    The certificate states the particulars about the modern over-striking, and also credits the original designer of the Peace Dollar.

Andy Warhol once painted a picture of a Campbell's soup can.
    The intent was to make a statement, more than it was to make an original work of art.
  • Options

<< <i>As for the mintage, the final total is yet to be determined. It will definitely be less than 2,000. Perhaps a lot less. Not sure yet. >>

Then what, does he destroy the dies? >>

I take dies that are retired and literally throw them into the "rust bucket" (a large bucket full or water where they rust away).
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

-D >>

The coins come in double-pocket non-PVC flips with the coin in one pocket and a small certificate in the other.
    The certificate states the particulars about the modern over-striking, and also credits the original designer of the Peace Dollar.

The intent was to make a statement, more than it was to make an original work of art. >>

Of course most of what you produce is Original Art. You have proven your talent in art and the coining process and I'm sure your Peace dollar is extremely high end, save one for me.
  • Options

<< <i>How's that anacs slabbed piece only make 67??? I'd think anything he does, slips in a flip and then goes to a grader would be 70. >>

ANACS gave a blanket grade of MS-67 to all my Grabener Press Tokens. The minimum technical grade in the group was MS-67.
    But many grade higher than that in actuality.

A coin that comes off the press and directly into a flip without touching anything else is not necessarily MS-70.
    In fact, the condition of the planchet before striking has a major impact on the technical grade.

A perfect virgin blank can often yield an MS-70 or PR-70 strike. A 90-year-old coin isn't exactly a "virgin" blank.
    But I process the coins in several labor-intensive steps before stamping over them. The typical grade for these
    over-struck "1964-D" Peace silver dollars will be MS-68.
  • Options

<< <i>DC - With all the postings, do you still intend on producing and selling these coins? If so, what is your estimated shipping timeline? Do you already have them "minted"? Are you considering adding "COPY" to the coin? >>

So far:

Quantity ordered: About 100
    Quantity minted (die pair 5 - the only die pair released): About 200

Shipping: commencing today.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>DC - With all the postings, do you still intend on producing and selling these coins? If so, what is your estimated shipping timeline? Do you already have them "minted"? Are you considering adding "COPY" to the coin? >>

So far:

Quantity ordered: About 100
    Quantity minted (die pair 5 - the only die pair released): About 200

Shipping: commencing today. >>

I'll buy 10 more, right now, if you dump those dies in the bucket right now and stop pressing!!! HA
  • Options

<< <i>So the website buyer sells his coin (with disclosure) to a third party, who sells the coin any which way he pleases. So much for disclosure. image The problem with selling stuff is- it's hard to control what happens to it once it's no longer your stuff. >>

Yes. Ask the gun manufacturing industry about that (the courts have ruled that when bad things happen, the fault lies with the owner/operator of the gun, not the manufacturer - unless the gun was defective, in which case the manufacturer could be liable).
  • Options

<< <i>DCarr, before you put your press at risk of being seized...

have you vetted this with the Mint or Secrest Service? >>

Attempts were made on numerous fronts to get confirmation of the legality of these and the 2009-DC "proof" Silver Eagle over-strikes.
    Nobody in the government could or would answer the questions. This includes the US Mint (Treasury Department), Secret Service,
    US Attorney's Office, and the Federal Trade Commission. So I did my own research (with a little legal help) and arrived at my conclusion.
  • Options

<< <i>So I did my own research (with a little legal help) and arrived at my conclusion. >>

Other people have done their own research regarding legal issues surrounding their intended activities, determined that they were on the right side of the law, and eventually had less than optimal outcomes once the government decided to look into things.

I'm just saying...
  • Options
    So if no 1964 Peace dollars exists - how did you know what die alterations and markers to make to prevent it from looking like the real deal?
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So I did my own research (with a little legal help) and arrived at my conclusion. >>

Other people have done their own research regarding legal issues surrounding their intended activities, determined that they were on the right side of the law, and eventually had less than optimal outcomes once the government decided to look into things.

I'm just saying... >>

But Carr likely has a paper trail of government agencies utterly failing to respond to valid requests for info about his intended activity.
  • Options
    Geez..I hope I get in on the First Strikes™ before any die reconditioning takes place....!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

-D >>

The intent was to make a statement, more than it was to make an original work of art. >>

I'm certain you're an intelligent person and that I don't need to go into great detail as to why Andy Warhol's art is different. That said, I'm not detracting from the coin or your own individual talent.

I definitely believe there could be a case argued for the legality or illegality of the coin in question and hope nobody is caught too badly with their pants down if some sort of reprimands come to fruition.

Edited to add: I don't think there's an actual issue with what DCarr is doing. I think the problem lies within the secondary hands.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm just saying... >>

But Carr likely has a paper trail of government agencies utterly failing to respond to valid requests for info about his intended activity. >>

Are you implying that "a paper trail of government agencies utterly failing to respond to valid requests for info about his intended activity" is a valid defense?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    With all this INTENSE peer pressure going on, I was forced to buy another. Now I control 1% of the ENTIRE market. hehehehehehehehe
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Other people have done their own research regarding legal issues surrounding their intended activities, determined that they were on the right side of the law, and eventually had less than optimal outcomes once the government decided to look into things.

I'm just saying... >>

Unless you have lived in the USSR or ex-USSR you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DC - I can see why you would want/need to protect your process... if you can take 200 Peace dollars, clean and prepare each coin to a technical grade of MS-68, than anyone with your knowledge could create any date in the Peace dollar series (or any other series for that matter) as an MS-68. That would be a coup to the doctor... and a loss to the coin collecting community. Would PCGS even realize a coin was "doctored" if someone discovered your process?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Other people have done their own research regarding legal issues surrounding their intended activities, determined that they were on the right side of the law, and eventually had less than optimal outcomes once the government decided to look into things.

I'm just saying... >>

Unless you have lived in the USSR or ex-USSR you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. >>

ummm... ?
  • Options

<< <i>

I'm just saying... >>

Unless you have lived in the USSR or ex-USSR you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. >>

Really? How about educating us on the topic, then? I presume you have the experience to do so, right?
  • Options

<< <i>With all this INTENSE peer pressure going on, I was forced to buy another. Now I control 1% of the ENTIRE market. hehehehehehehehe >>

You bought 20?? image

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>With all this INTENSE peer pressure going on, I was forced to buy another. Now I control 1% of the ENTIRE market. hehehehehehehehe >>

You bought 20?? image >>

I expect he bought 2 since DC mentioned he's minted 200 to date.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You bought 20?? image >>

I expect he bought 2 since DC mentioned he's minted 200 to date. >>

Dang! Must be the husband in me not paying attention yet once again! image

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm just saying... >>

But Carr likely has a paper trail of government agencies utterly failing to respond to valid requests for info about his intended activity. >>

Are you implying that "a paper trail of government agencies utterly failing to respond to valid requests for info about his intended activity" is a valid defense? >>

I don't see the terms "valid" as used just above as having any equivalent value in meaning. It certainly would be "a" defense.
  • Options

<< <i>DC - I can see why you would want/need to protect your process... if you can take 200 Peace dollars, clean and prepare each coin to a technical grade of MS-68, than anyone with your knowledge could create any date in the Peace dollar series (or any other series for that matter) as an MS-68. That would be a coup to the doctor... and a loss to the coin collecting community. Would PCGS even realize a coin was "doctored" if someone discovered your process? >>

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that PCGS or even those folks across the street will have no problem in identifying Daniel Carr's work since most Peace Dollar die's and die marriages are quite familiar to the professionals. I also expect that Daniels professionism and integrity would prevent him from producing a product such as what you are implying.

If I recall correctly, he "worked" the die to his satisfaction and not United States Mint specification so as to fool even the most knowledgeable of Peace Dollar enthusiasts.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

I'm just saying... >>

Yes, my "conclusion" could be wrong. My "paper trail" of contacts with various government agencies would be a strong defence in the eyes of the general public - but not necessarily in the eyes of the court. Regardless, I think I could make a very strong case in court in the very unlikely event that it ever went that far.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>DC - I can see why you would want/need to protect your process... if you can take 200 Peace dollars, clean and prepare each coin to a technical grade of MS-68, than anyone with your knowledge could create any date in the Peace dollar series (or any other series for that matter) as an MS-68. That would be a coup to the doctor... and a loss to the coin collecting community. Would PCGS even realize a coin was "doctored" if someone discovered your process? >>

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that PCGS or even those folks across the street will have no problem in identifying Daniel Carr's work since most Peace Dollar die's and die marriages are quite familiar to the professionals. I also expect that Daniels professionism and integrity would prevent him from producing a product such as what you are implying.

If I recall correctly, he "worked" the die to his satisfaction and not United States Mint specification so as to fool even the most knowledgeable of Peace Dollar enthusiasts. >>

That's why I didn't imply he would create such an item... I implied if someone knew his process, that they may produce such an item. I didn't challenge the character or integrity of DCarr.

I think the intended meaning of your last sentence may be different than the actual meaning of said sentence.
  • Options

<< <i>So if no 1964 Peace dollars exists - how did you know what die alterations and markers to make to prevent it from looking like the real deal? >>

Here is the marker on mine (multi-punched mint mark). The probablilty that an original surviving 1964-D Peace dollar (if any) would have this marker is nil:

This discussion has been closed.