Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 Mint Sets w/ COPPER LINCOLN CENTS dark June 15 - Winners? Posted Sales: 774,844. Final Mintage

AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm surprised this has not been mentioned by the forumoids. Anything Lincoln Cent-related at the Mint in 2009 goes dark after June 15th. There's some sleepers out there and this is your last chance at these prices.

Here's some stat's from the Mint News Blog by Michael Zielinski:

http://mintnewsblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/sales-ending-for-2009-annual-sets-and.html
(the clearer version)

<< <i>As it stands, the last reported sales figures for the 2009 annual sets are above the levels of last year's sets with the exception of the Silver Proof Set. The tables below show the sales start date, sales end date, and total sales for each set for 2009 and 2008.

Product Sales Start Sales End Sales To Date
2009 Proof Set June 1, 2009 June 15, 2010 1,475,264
2009 Silver Proof Set July 17, 2009 June 15, 2010 690,822
2009 Mint Set Oct 1, 2009 June 15, 2010 771,204

Product Sales Start Sales End Total Sales
2008 Proof Set June 24, 2008 Dec 14, 2008 1,405,674
2008 Silver Proof Set Aug 26, 2008 July 17, 2009 774,874
2008 Mint Set July 30, 2008 Feb 25, 2009 745,464

The 2008 Proof Set had sold out unexpectedly before the close of the year and ended up with the lowest total sales for a standard proof set since 1959. The sets began selling at a premium immediately after the early sell out. The 2009 Proof Set looks like it will have marginally higher total sales, but this will still be a low number on a historical basis. As mentioned, the higher mintage may be offset by the greater residual demand created by the included 2009 Lincoln Cents and the countless number of sets broken up to obtain the cents.

The 2009 Silver Proof Set is on track to have the lowest total sales for a silver proof set since 1998. After peaking at 1,175,934 with the 2004 Silver Proof Set, total sales have decreased steadily each year since then.

The 2008 Mint Set has enjoyed a large rise in price since it sold out. The sets seem to sell for $45 to $50, which is almost double the original issue price at the higher end of the range. Last year, before the 2008 Mint Set sold out, I mentioned it frequently as a potential winner. This year, I also like the prospects of the 2009 Mint Set. It was available for a shorter period of time compared to the other sets and will have relatively low final sales. Once again, the inclusion of special composition Lincoln Cents should add a permanent incremental source of demand. Of all the products going off-sale on June 15, I like the 2009 Mint Set the best.

Last but not least, sales of the 2009 Lincoln Cent Two Roll Sets will end on Tuesday. When initially announced, many collectors didn't like the fact that sets containing $1.00 face value worth of circulating coins were priced at $8.95 each. After the first set sold out in a few weeks and began selling at a big premium on the secondary market, more collectors started ordering the sets. The final two designs will fall between the first two designs in terms of total number of sets sold. The final sales or last reported sales are shown below.

Sales To Date Birthplace 96,000
Formative Years 300,000
Professional Life 291,534
Presidency 259,941

The final set for the "Presidency" design has better prospects than the "Professional Life" design because of the lower total sales and also the low mintages of the coins included. The 2009 P & D Presidency Lincoln Cents had a final mintages of 129,600,000 and 198,000,000, respectively. These represent the lowest mintages for circulation strike cents since 1955. >>

Yup, the 2008 clad proof set is certainly a winner. Michael thinks the 2009 mint set will be too. I think any of the sets will with those COPPER Lincolns in them. What think you?

<Edited Message Title 8/1/10 with last known mintage>
<Edited Message Title 1/14/11 awaiting final mintage yet>
<Edited Message Title 1/15/11 per the 1/14/2011 US Mint 2010 Annual Report>
Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The LP1 set was a big winner indeed, and is going for 10x the issue price on ebay. Is anyone else buying any 2009 Mint sets?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the 2009 Unc. coin sets will be winners - the only way to get the satin finish lincolns.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>I think that the 2009 Unc. coin sets will be winners - the only way to get the satin finish lincolns. >>

I also believe the Lincoln Coin & Chronicle Set will always be a big winner. It has been wanted on the BST with users willing to pay anywhere between $130-$140 ($70-$80 over issue price) -- with the current highest bid on eBay @ $140 (19 hours left) also with BINs starting at $150.
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    Decided to get a few more...long term prospects look good.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    Is the consensus that the satins will do better than the proof Lincolns?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    from numismatic news' June 10, 2010 mint stats

2009 Unc. sets - 771,204

2009 clad proof sets - 1,475,264
    2009 silver proof sets - 690,822
    Lincoln Coin and Chronicles - 50,000
    single lens of 4 Proof Lincoln cents - 200,000

771,204 vs. 2,416,086 (~3.13x)

EDIT: added the 4 coin cent proof set
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered a half dozen Mint sets..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thanks Ms --

771,204 vs. 2,216,086 (~2.87x) Unc's vs Proofs

Almost 3:1 favoring the Satins Unc's ... mintage wise.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hard part....didn't the USMint make the cents available on their own, or was that only proofs?
    I haven't paid much attention to the 2009 since I was more than busy with other things image

If they were available elsewhere, then the mintage of the mint set is more about the other denominations; I would think.

Same with the proof sets.....
    (I saw this happen with the SHQs when they were available outside of the mint's sets.)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    The BIG thing about the satins (unc mint set) and the proofs is they are the ONLY source for the original COPPER/BRASS coins. The Unc (satins) seem to be currently 3x lower mintage than the proofs. They are both LOW mintage compared to other years.

Good to see you Bochi.
  • Options
    Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    US uncirculated mint set (U09) includes the stain finish copper cents set of 4 coins?

i dont see any mention of satin finish on the mint web site.

are all the coins satin finish?

little confused here....

• Options
    Harry - YES - the U09 sets are all of the satin finish.

Also the only place you can buy the copper Lincolns and rare 09 nickels and dimes.
  • Options
    Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info.....i just ordered 4 setsimageimage
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2009 Mint Set cents (in the original bronze composition) will likely be recognized as distinct coins, much as the 1982 bronze and zinc cents are today (along with the 1864 copper-nickel and bronze Indian cents).

With each of the 8 coins having a likely final mintage lower than that of the 1931-S cent (and each being a type coin to boot), I think they are a bargain at less than $1.75 per coin (valuing the other coins in the set at face).

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    mint sets should be a no brainer, approx. $15 face for 28 bucks. Not only the cents but all the coins are incredible condtion (satin finish).I bought 3 and wish I could afford more.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I agree in that the Unc set is the only place you can get Lincolns that are 95% copper. The satin finish does not matter to me as much as the metal composition.

One other thought, this is the last year of the satin finish for Uncirculated Sets, do you think that will have a long term implication or not?
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options

<< <i>The hard part....didn't the USMint make the cents available on their own, or was that only proofs?
    I haven't paid much attention to the 2009 since I was more than busy with other things image

If they were available elsewhere, then the mintage of the mint set is more about the other denominations; I would think.

(I saw this happen with the SHQs when they were available outside of the mint's sets.) >>

There was no single lens of just the uncirculated cents offered.

Also, the cent rolls were as follows:: "These rolls contain one-cent coins used in regular commercial transactions. However, because these coins have never been circulated, they also make a great addition to your private collection or a wonderful gift for someone special. "

I can't think of another avenue that offered 2009 cents.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    2009 Unc. sets - 771,204

771,204 vs. 2,216,086 (~2.87x)

Don't forget the separate offering of the 4 coin Lincoln proof set. Does anyone remember the number sold?
  • Options
    ooops.

editing previous post now.
  • Options

<< <i>One other thought, this is the last year of the satin finish for Uncirculated Sets, do you think that will have a long term implication or not? >>

Depends on whether they are perceived as being distinct from circulation strikes - for example, whether they are recognized and given separate listings by the Red Book and other price guides, and given their own slots by coin album manufacturers. If so, the satin finish mint sets will generate many "keys" in all circulating series, with mintages under one million.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The hard part....didn't the USMint make the cents available on their own, or was that only proofs?

(I saw this happen with the SHQs when they were available outside of the mint's sets.) >>

There was no single lens of just the uncirculated cents offered.

Also, the cent rolls were as follows:: "These rolls contain one-cent coins used in regular commercial transactions. However, because these coins have never been circulated, they also make a great addition to your private collection or a wonderful gift for someone special. "

I can't think of another avenue that offered 2009 cents. >>

Thanks....that's what I wasn't sure...if there were a single lens for the unc cents. I know there were for the proofs, but if there weren't for the uncs, it could be a good grab.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    A minor correction Ms on the 4-coin proof set. It was 200k, not 617k (4-coin presidential dollar proof set).

Quick re-work the numbers and:

2009 Unc. sets - 771,204

single lens of 4 Proof Lincoln cents - 200,000

771,204 vs. 2,416,086 (~3.13x)

Final outcome is basically the same though.

The 2009 clad proof set is fairly low mintage too, it will be interesting to see how it fairs against the 2008 clad proof set.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I got some of everything Lincoln that the Mint had to offer this past year.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    fixed again

NN has 200,000 here and 201,107 here
    I used the lower figure due to potential returns.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    I picked up 3 more mint sets. The satin finish has been a turn off to collectors so far, but the original copper composition is unique and I think very interesting. Low mintage & unique composition, makes these sets a winner in my book.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2009 Unc. sets - 771,204

Unlike 1931, these sets will not be dispersed into circulation, so finding a nice specimen won't be too hard and there won't be any attrition. Since there will be billions of their copper counterparts around and these are only identifiable in sets (for all practical purposes), nobody will ever be looking for these in circulation because the chances of finding one in circulation would be about the same as in finding a Cheerios Dollar in circulation, except that the reward for finding one would be thousands of times less rewarding.

The best way to profit from these coins would be to leave them in the OGP, and that's probably how you'll find them, unless they are certified by a TPG. Even that might not be a good investment. A nice high grade set of four encapsulated a TPG may not be stable, if the Mint's history with rinse residues affecting copper inside TPG plastic is any indication, as evidenced by the AGE toning that many experience after encapsulation.

Still, a low-mintage Lincoln in a set of 4 varieties in the original alloy - what's not to like? My biggest concern is that inflation has destroyed the value in a cent to the point that the coinage and currency may be revalued and that would precipitate an across-the-board series of design changes.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    FWIW i like the 4 coin Lincoln cent proof sets and don't see them available?
    picked up a few earlier, though
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as these coins are sealed in the mint set the TPGS will easily be able to recognize them as copper composition.

I heard that some dealers were buying large quanities of the 2009 mint sets and cutting out the two stips that hold the cents and cashing in the rest of the coins at face value sans the dimes and nickels.

I am in like flint on these.
  • Options
    << Unlike 1931, these sets will not be dispersed into circulation, so finding a nice specimen won't be too hard and there won't be any attrition. >>

Attrition was limited for the 1931-S cent, because its scarcity was recognized early and many were saved in the year of issue. That's why it's available at much less cost than the higher-mintage 1914-D.

There is one principal source of demand for 1931-S cents: Lincoln wheat cent collectors. There will be three main sources of demand for the 2009 Mint Set Lincolns: Mint Set collectors, type coin collectors and modern Lincoln cent collectors. I expect that these multiple sources of demand will positively impact the price of these coins going forward.

<< My biggest concern is that inflation has destroyed the value in a cent to the point that the coinage and currency may be revalued and that would precipitate an across-the-board series of design changes. >>

There are so many billions of U.S. coins in circulation now, it would probably make more sense to tie them to a "revalued" dollar. This would create a minor windfall for anyone owning a quantity of coins, but it would save the giant headache of demonetizing and replacing all the current coins.

At any rate, I don't think that such an event would hurt the collectibility of the 2009 bronze cents at all.

• Options
    Side note...I'm wondering if the Silver Proof Sets might be a hidden gem....from the standpoint of the dimes/halves.......under 700k seems small right now for those.....

• Options
    Some thoughts on the above posts...

-- The Unc set cents are NOT the only ones in the original alloy - the proof are of the same alloy. It's just that the Unc set cents will have a much lower mintage

-- Keeping the cents in the OGP will not preserve them long term. Per a well know dealer with extensive knowledge of preservation, the foam inserts in the cent lenses off-gas chemicals which will result in severe toning over time. Slabbing or breaking out and putting in capsules is the way to go

-- I wonder how the TPGs will slab the Unc cents (I'm sure that they're on Ebay now, just have not looked).

-- I've heard (forgot the source) that the silver Kennedy halfs have potential (don't remember the reasoning)
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Unc set cents will have a much lower mintage

And different mintmarks than the proofs.

I've heard (forgot the source) that the silver Kennedy halfs have potential (don't remember the reasoning)

The 2009 silver Kennedy Halves will be higher in mintage than the 1995 silver Kennedys (679,985). The 2008 was (718,224).

There are several dates that fall between 700,000 and 800,000: 1993, 1994, 1996,1997, and 2008 but if the 2009 silver Kennedys come in at 710,000 or so they will be the 2nd scarcest issue (excluding the 1998 Matte Proof).

The same data applies to the silver Roosevelt dimes.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just picked up 3 sets this morning... Thanks for the heads up on these. image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Ok I couldn't resist. Bought 5 mint sets at 4:57 PM. Keep them unopened for now to see where these go. I guess its the economy because 771,000 for the copper version of the lincoln penny is not much. Maybe the dealers are hurting and are not buying these. The 1909 S VDB was around 484,000 or something. Maybe in a 100 years they may be worth something.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2009 mint sets, clad and silver proof sets are ****GONE FROM THE US MINT CATALOG*****. It is up to the after market now!imageimage
  • Options
    I can't wait to see the last sales figures. It will be very interesting to see how many sold during the last minute feeding frenzy!

It will also be interesting to see how fast they pick up on Ebay.
  • Options
    jmski-

Thanks very much for this info. What are your thoughts on the 2009 Silver Proof sets with respect to appreciation potential (esp. w/respect to the halfs, nickles and dimes)?

Thanks!
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 2009 mint sets, clad and silver proof sets are ****GONE FROM THE US MINT CATALOG*****. It is up to the after market now!imageimage >>

Ok procrastinators, time to get shopping now.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    I set a reminder on my phone and then pressed snooze about 8 times. Numbskull!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    I loaded up on the UNC. sets. I see $40-$50 per set in the near term( 2-3 months) when people realize they are unavailable from the US Mint. Take them off sale, sell 'em out, whatever you want to call it........it's going to stimulate demand. Nothing pushes the impulse buyer like a nice sudden sense of scarcity or unavailability!! It's human nature!! The mintages of the coppers in satin finish are low and prime for a run imho. I bet the Mint sold a boatload of the UNC sets today.

Edited for grammer......darn keyboardimage
  • Options

<< <i>The 2009 mint sets, clad and silver proof sets are ****GONE FROM THE US MINT CATALOG*****. It is up to the after market now!imageimage >>

Wow!
    I was going to wait to get some when I got home tonight.....decided to buy 5 during my lunch hour and then saw this.....hopefully I will get mine though I did think about getting 10 of them....hmmm....

Good, timely, thread, Akbeez!

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I picked up a few more today due to this thread.
    Not much downside with the face value involved but I'd bet the last minute feeding frenzy pushed sales up considerably.
  • Options

<< <i>

Wow!
    I was going to wait to get some when I got home tonight.....decided to buy 5 during my lunch hour and then saw this.....hopefully I will get mine though I did think about getting 10 of them....hmmm....

Good, timely, thread, Akbeez! >>

Just for giggles, I called to edit my existing order to increase them and the rep. said I couldn't change it. image

now... does their call count go up exponentially???

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I bought about (50) of these so long ago that I could'nt remember if they were 07,8, or 9's, I bought them because of the Copper, I was clicking my heels together like Dorothy & ToTo waiting for an early sellout, then the last chance sale at the mint.....I just put them in the back room.......until now, These down the road could do well IMO...
  • Options
    Well the early "sellout" today was a bit unexpected -- but there's a few good deals on eBay yet for near mint cost. Grab'em whilst you can!

Sounds like many forumoids got a few more sets and I'm sure the lurkers did so as well. I picked up a few more Unc's and clad proof sets myself.

Here's to some nice sets! AK
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered sets for the puposes of getting the Kennedy halves and Sacagawea dollars, more than anything else. There's a collector base and they don't want them in plastic image Surprise !!!
  • Options
    Got me 5 more sets before the shutdown....I like their potential
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    My guess is the final sales figures for 2009 Unc sets will be slightly under 800K. It should bode well for the future if you picked up a few of these. My guess is that this time next year a set will go for $50.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I also decided to get some after reading this thread - that they sold out later in the day was a nice surprise.

I had originally bought 10 of them several months ago, and decided to buy another 10 yesterday. So I will be able to sit on them for a while and see what they do.
  • Options

<< <i>I also decided to get some after reading this thread - that they sold out later in the day was a nice surprise.

I had originally bought 10 of them several months ago, and decided to buy another 10 yesterday. So I will be able to sit on them for a while and see what they do. >>

I don't think that they "sold out". I believe that The Mint simply decided to stop selling them yesterday at 5.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file