Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The official 2010 Topps Heritage thread: rip, sort, trade

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Didn't notice the Rangers vs Angels on the Vlad card till now. Wonder if there is a base version with "Angels"? >>

im guessing the chromes take longer to put together
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Stoney, if you get a chance, can you tell me which (if any) Dodgers are short printed? I see 15-card team sets on the Bay, but they're all numbered below 426. Thanks!
  • Options
    I haven't seen an auto checklist yet, but it's encouraging that along with the 'common' guys, we've got at least three HOFers.

imageimage

• Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Here was a write up on the Dice Game from earlier in the thread: If topps follows the same format there should be 18 of them.

From oldbaseball.com

1961 Dice Game (18)

R-414-20-UNC

Perhaps taking a cue from the success of the APBA baseball game, Topps produced this black and white set in 1961. While the Topps name does not appear anywhere on the product, the quality of the cards and the typefaces used clearly mark these as a Topps product. At 2 1/2" x 3 1/2", they also have the same dimensions as regular issue 1961 cards. One player per position from each league is included and while not all are superstars, every player was an All Star at one time or another. These cards are extremely rare and the Mantle card is probably the holy grail of all Topps cards.. Of course, considering that it sells in the mid to high four figures, not too many people could afford one anyway. That is, provided more than one exists: in 1985 only one known set had been reported, along with a handful of singles. It is doubtful this set was ever legitimately released based on the low number of extant copies. In fact, when Topps issues are this scarce I have to think that Woody Gelman was involved in their introduction to the hobby.
  • Options
    A Marichal auto has also shown up, so one more HOFER. I have a suspicion that we may not see Musial and that Schoendienst is his replacement. No where the heck is my UPS guy with my cases, I'm eager to prove myself wrong. image

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    That Marichal numbered? I cant tell by the dark scan

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Box 6:

Second box of this case with multiple hits. I will be back soon with the remaining 6, time to pick the kids up.

image >>

is it just me and not being fully awake this morning but doesn't Guillen stamp look like Phil Neikro??? have to go out and get me some of these....are they in target yet????
  • Options
    Keep the pictures coming guys... It's fun to see the scans!
  • Options
    Mike, the listing is calling it an error as it is not numbered.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Here was a write up on the Dice Game from earlier in the thread: If topps follows the same format there should be 18 of them.

From oldbaseball.com

1961 Dice Game (18)

R-414-20-UNC

Perhaps taking a cue from the success of the APBA baseball game, Topps produced this black and white set in 1961. While the Topps name does not appear anywhere on the product, the quality of the cards and the typefaces used clearly mark these as a Topps product. At 2 1/2" x 3 1/2", they also have the same dimensions as regular issue 1961 cards. One player per position from each league is included and while not all are superstars, every player was an All Star at one time or another. These cards are extremely rare and the Mantle card is probably the holy grail of all Topps cards.. Of course, considering that it sells in the mid to high four figures, not too many people could afford one anyway. That is, provided more than one exists: in 1985 only one known set had been reported, along with a handful of singles. It is doubtful this set was ever legitimately released based on the low number of extant copies. In fact, when Topps issues are this scarce I have to think that Woody Gelman was involved in their introduction to the hobby. >>

Very interesting. Thanks for the input. So, it sounds like there may be only several full sets (if they follow the 61 model). While they are apparently all SP's, there must be a few that are SSP's. I only see one or two scans of the stamps. Is this because of the scarcity of them? I thought the full set was something like 207 (numbered to 50) stamps. I wonder if retail will have more of the stamps inthem than hobby? Do the stamps have numbering on the back side (XX of 50)? Are the Babe Ruth chase set hard to come by? There is a beautifull Robinson/Upton dual auto on the bay, very nice. Love the coloring scheme. Waiting for UPS so I can tear into my case!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Why is nobody ripping yet today....come on guys we need some action!
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ended up selling 9 of the 12 boxes of my final case last night. I decided to rip the final 3 this morning and here is what I got.

• Options
    Thanks for the fix Stoney....looks like you kept the right 3 boxes.
  • Options
    No Dodger SP'S
  • Options
    kmnorton, pm me about the Lincecum you are interested in.

• Options
    Wow, Stoney - very nice hit on the Mantle/Texeira! Congrats

• Options
    Yeah, definitely no complaining on my part after opening those.
  • Options
    That's it, I'm gonna hunt down my UPS guy! And if I can't find him, I am going to Target and buy something. All this waiting is getting to me. Why don't they put spring training on ESPN, or something?!?
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • Options
    hmm, saw this on the Bay - what's the relationship? Usually these duals feature players from the same team.

• Options
    I love that relic card of Jimmy Piersall, crazy Jimmy. I have an autographed comic book that would look great matted in a collage! LMK if it is for sale or trade! Beautiful Mantle uniform as well!
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • Options

<< <i>hmm, saw this on the Bay - what's the relationship? Usually these duals feature players from the same team.

image >>

both outfielders??? maybe
  • Options
    yeah, I get that, but Heritage has always done these duals with a team relationship.
  • Options
    Chased down my UPS driver at lunch - my case is sitting in my living room imageimageimageimage

• Options
    You took the afternoon off right Mike, I really need you to pull me the Gibson and Musial autos. Turbo told me you were going to, how is Turbo doing?
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Got my cases from UPS. Only had time to open two boxes during lunch. Here is the best pull from the two boxes:

• Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭

<< <i>Chased down my UPS driver at lunch - my case is sitting in my living room imageimageimageimage >>

I think you should bring it to my house to rip. I'll throw some steaks on the grill and video the break!
  • Options
    Looks like a nice start to the case!
  • Options
    We might as well forget about seeing anything from Mike for awhile, he only rips when the Red Sox score a run....image
  • Options

<< <i>yeah, I get that, but Heritage has always done these duals with a team relationship. >>

I see what you mean.....looked up both of their histories on wikipedia to see if there were any matches but there doesn't appear to be any.....Frank's from Texas, went to school in Oakland, while Justin's from Virginia and went to school there also....was Frank a #1 pick like Justin??? I'm trying to remember if they even had a draft back when Frank started.....odd like you said....unless Heritage is now doing future predictions...how would Justin look in a Reds uni???image
  • Options
    Does anyone know when retail cases are going to be available? I know that Lockwood isn't selling Heritage this year.
  • Options
    not soon enough lol
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>You took the afternoon off right Mike, I really need you to pull me the Gibson and Musial autos. Turbo told me you were going to, how is Turbo doing? >>

Turbo's doing great. thanks. She was quite surprised and happy when I walked in at lunch to drop the case off. She even got an extra meal out of it.

I'll be opening and sorting as I go (or they'll never get sorted) in just about 2 hours image

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone know when retail cases are going to be available? I know that Lockwood isn't selling Heritage this year. >>

What's up with Lockwood? I emailed him several times but never got a response. Is he closing shop or just sitting out Heritage?
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice hits Stoney, did you leave anything good in my two cases? image

Speaking of, I just called Fedex and asked them to hold my cases at the facility so I can pick them up at 8AM tomorrow instead of having to wait until the driver gets here (whenever that was gonna be). Now instead of waiting by the window all day tomorrow I can rip nice and early.
  • Options

<< <i>What's up with Lockwood? I emailed him several times but never got a response. Is he closing shop or just sitting out Heritage? >>

It took me a month to get a response from him, and all he said was "No Heritage sales this year, sorry".
  • Options
    I just ordered 3 more cases of blasters. Total of 2 24 ct cases and 3 blaster cases.

Looks like the 29th will be the ship date.

Also Knopfler that Posey is sweet. Is it availible?
  • Options

<< <i>Also Knopfler that Posey is sweet. Is it availible? >>

Thanks. It is available but I have no idea what a decent price is. I put it up on my ebay store at what I think is a well above market price ($199), hoping to see another one pop up to give me a general idea of the price.
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What's up with Lockwood? I emailed him several times but never got a response. Is he closing shop or just sitting out Heritage? >>

It took me a month to get a response from him, and all he said was "No Heritage sales this year, sorry". >>

Last month I bought a load of about 40k heritage cards from 2005 that he had sitting around. I sent a couple follow up emails, but haven't heard from him since.

anyone need a 2005 relic?
  • Options
    The eagle has landed, rip reports to begin shortly. image
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I ripped 1.5 boxes at lunch, got the rest of the case in the car. so far, one black ref, 2 relics, 1 refractor, 1 stamp (which are about as rare as the black refs). I have to add that I really like the looks of these cards, the photography isn't nearly as bad as it seemed in the first scans. the clean 61 look is growing on me, i never though much of the originals, but i may have to build that set now. The auto checklist is promising with at least 4 hof'ers confirmed. with the low print run, it is shaping up to be one of the best heritage sets since maybe 2005 or 2006. I would agree with the poster who said the centering seems spot-on. Much better quality control so far - although i did have a card that came out of the pack creased and crinkled.
  • Options
    I just noticed that Whitey Ford is on all five pitcher Then and Now cards. Must have had a heck of a season in '61.
  • Options
    Geez Doran, let's go already.
  • Options
    Box 1
    8- Short Prints
    2- NAP
    2- T&N
    3- BF
    1- NF
    6- Ruth Chase
    5- Chrome
    1- Refractor
    Adam Kennedy Jersey
  • Options
    At only 1 refractor per box maybe they will sell well on eBay this year.
  • Options
    Box 1
    7- Short Prints
    1- Dice back Vlad Guerrero
    2- NAP
    1- T&N
    2- BF
    2- NF
    6- Ruth Chase
    4- Chrome
    1- Refractor
    Carlos Marmol Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>Box 1
    7- Short Prints
    1- Dice back Vlad Guerrero
    2- NAP
    1- T&N
    2- BF
    2- NF
    6- Ruth Chase
    4- Chrome
    1- Refractor
    Carlos Marmol Jersey >>

Wait, you mean you went back to your first box and it was full again?

Well, I guess the laws of ripping cease to exist in your mancave. Was this a magic box? Did you buy your case from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

• Options
    Just got home - it's rip time

first card from first pack was the Red Sox team card - gonna be good year

• Options
    Geordie by the time I get through all 60 boxes it will feel like the beanstalk fell on me.
    Box 3
    7- Short Prints
    2- NAP
    1- T&N
    1- BF
    3- NF
    6- Ruth Chase
    5- Chrome
    1- Refractor
    and no Hit

Definitely not the start I was hoping for.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Just grabbed two boxes and will commence. Anybody have the Excel checklist?
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    HOFer #5 - strongest auto checklist in years??