Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official Boston Celtics 2009-2010 Outside Shot at Banner 18 Thread

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
Aw, what the hell, let's try this again now the the Red Sox folded like a cheap tent! image

KG is back, and healthy! If 'Sheed and Allen have enough left in the tank for one more good season, and Rondo continues to improve, they have a good a shot as any. Of course the hurdles will be Cleveland, Orlando, and that yellow and purple team from Southern California, and the perenneial dark horse teams such as San Antonio, New Orleans, and maybe Utah.

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Is it that time of year already? I'm used to Baseball season lasting a tad bit longer...

Definitely looking forward to seeing what Sheed is going to bring to the table. I honestly don't see too many kinks in our armor.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Seeing this thread made my day. I'll post later with predictions for the season image
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Watch out for Portland. They will rise in the west.

Celtics should have no real problems getting to the eastern finals if they stay healthy.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Ok, here's my take on the 09-10 C's and the NBA in general.

I think that there are 4 or MAYBE 5 teams that can win the title (LA Lakers, SA Spurs, Cleveland and Boston - maybe Portland sneaks into that group depending on how they developed)

I don't think any other contenders improved enough to believe that they can win it. I think Denver and Utah are on the next level in the West and Houston will creep into the playoffs too. Love Aaron Brooks for another breakout year. New Orleans is probably in for another 5-6 seed. I think the Lakers are much weaker with Artest instead of Ariza in their rotation. He is not a lock down defender anymore and shoots a low percentage.

This is the year everyone decides that Oklahoma City plays the most fun basketball in the league. They have an outside shot at the 8 seed in the west but it will be a tough road. The good thing is that there are 3 truly awful teams out West - Golden State, Sacramento and Minnesota. The Mavs and Suns haven't done anything spectacular to improve themselves - and the Suns pretty much gave up. This leaves OKC in decent shape for a 43-44 win season and maybe the playoffs.

In the East, Orlando is definitely weaker with Carter instead of Turkoglu. He takes too many nights off and they're not a Finals team again. My guess is that Philly, Washington, Toronto and Atlanta fight it out for the 4-7 seeds in the East. No idea what Detroit and Chicago are going to do. Chicago's ceiling is the 3 seed but they could have a letdown year and miss the playoffs. Detroit has a whole new team so they probably struggle for the first 2 months and creep into the playoffs.

As for the Celtics...

I almost made a mess of my pants when rumors of trading Rondo surfaced before the draft. How can you give up on a guy who's clearly a top 5-6 point guard in a PG driven league right now? Thankfully Ainge didn't. Obviously, the entire season depends on KG's health...but if Rivers can limit him to 28/game because they have Rasheed in the regular season, it will dramatically improve his chances at a full healthy season.

Here's what I'm afraid of - Perkins, Wallace and Rondo on the court at the same time...all three of them are loose cannons. Wallace and Perk have been technical machines and having them together will create combustible situations.

I wouldn't be surprised to see no one on the team score more than 20/game. Pierce may get 21 or so, but Rivers almost HAS to try to keep everyone under 34 MPG after last season's end.

If they stay healthy, I don't see why they wouldn't be in the Finals. Does no one remember this team was 35 games over 500 when KG got hurt and STILL played Orlando hard in round 2 without him? And adding Sheed helps. My whole thing is that I don't think Shaq helps a team that likes to run like Cleveland. It's easier to stop 4 guys in transition than 5 and he'll put up good stats, but ultimately I think he makes them weaker. Ilgauskus is a great player from 15 feet and Shaq plays a totally different game.

Anyone have thoughts? GO C'S!!

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Let's GO C's!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree with the tought of trading rondo, glad it didn't happen, but the kid could be in the top 2 or 3 point gaurds if he worked at his game, it easy to play point with allen, KG and pierce and now wallace. i wish he would just take an off season or two and put in the work on a consistant jumper and foul shots. i remember bird working 6-8 hours a day in the off season to improve his game in the early-mid 80's.
    i don't know if the players now a days work at their games in the off season. i always thought shaq could have been the greatest of all time if he worked on his game instead of doing movies and rap. he could have carried orlando, before moving on, to several rings if he worked at the game instead of working on being bigger then life, he already was.

Celtics in the east finals atleast, hopefully in title series with LA. i think wallace is a better addition then shaq to clev. he'll slow them down.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Vito, I can tell you're a true NBA fan, and I respect most of your thoughts and opinions in your post.

But saying that the Mavs didn't do anything to improve? Leaving them out of the Western Conf Playoffs entirely? You've gotta be kidding me!

I know Shawn Marion isn't what he was a few years ago, but if you don't think his addition to the Mavs in an improvement, you're crazy! The Mavs will definitely make the playoffs. Getting out of the first round isn't very likely though.
  • Options
    I didn't say they didn't improve...I said they didn't do anything spectacular. I do think that's a good fit for Marion, but you think they're better than a bottom 3 seed in the West playoffs? I think they fight it out with Houston, New Orleans, OKC for the 6-8 spots and one of them gets shut out. Do you think they're better than that? If so, I'm curious why. I don't see their ceiling higher than 46-49 wins in the west and they probably win more like 44-45.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't say they didn't improve...I said they didn't do anything spectacular. I do think that's a good fit for Marion, but you think they're better than a bottom 3 seed in the West playoffs? I think they fight it out with Houston, New Orleans, OKC for the 6-8 spots and one of them gets shut out. Do you think they're better than that? If so, I'm curious why. I don't see their ceiling higher than 46-49 wins in the west and they probably win more like 44-45. >>

No, I don't think they're better than a bottom 3 seed in the West playoffs. From your earlier post, I understood you to say that the Mavs wouldnt make the playoffs and the Thunder would. I just re-read it, and I guess I misunderstood.

Anyway, I'm obviously a huge a Mavs fan, and I'm pretty excited about seeing how Marion will fit in. But once again, I don't see them getting out of the first round of the playoffs.....the West is just too stacked.
  • Options
    Nice start to the season -- beating Cleveland on the road!! Looks like KG and Pierce are set to lead a run at 60+ wins and another trip to the Finals!!
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll post it here while I wait for the Lakers game to air ... I hope to see a Boston vs Lakers final. Let's hope we both get there.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    first game of the season? yes

big win? yes

• Options
    real nice win

i hope davis' childishness doesn't hurt too much. so much for wanting to get paid what he's worth. major players don't get into fist fights with guys driving a car. it could have been worse, what if he knocked the guy out while he was driving??

the new 6th man looked good last night and i like the bench to start the year.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    You have to have at least one Cavalier fan chime in so here goes.....image way to early for any predictions or boasting or anything else remotely close....first comments from this Cavs fan will come mid season....take care everyone and I'll enjoy reading everyone's comments. al.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    vito - I agree with pretty much everything you said, although I'm not sold on Washington. And I'm not sold that KG's knees hold up.

Cavs and Magic take a step back with Shaq and Vince, respectively. Hedo was an absolute beast last post-season - they will miss him.

I think Delonte West is a difference maker for the Cavs. Without him, they will struggle.
  • Options
    OK, only 68 more wins to go for 70!
  • Options
    C's / Bulls tonight. Excited for the rematch from last year's first round.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KG's knees should be treated like Mike Lowell's hip -- rest, rest, rest for when the real season starts!

not that it helped image
  • Options
    Makin' Da Bulls look bad. 3-0!
  • Options
    I couldn't watch past the first quarter. What were there, fifty whistles in that excruciatingly long first twelve minutes? image
  • Options
    great start to the season, but I can't help but think their opponents are making them look a little better than they actually are. Opponents are shooting 19% from 3, and 69% from the line against them so far. Not saying they still wouldn't have won any of those games if teams shot better, but just trying to put it in context.

I've heard chatter of 70 wins....does anyone here think this team actually wants to win 70? My sense is that they are more concerned with keeping everyone's minutes down rather than killing themselves for a milestone that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    4-0

nice start! beat a scrappy NO team yesterday and rondo is locked up for 5 years.
    Fred

• Options
    another division win 5-0
    Fred

• Options
    Rondo locked up for 5 years at $55 million + incentives. Probably a smart move by Ainge.
  • Options

<< <i>Rondo locked up for 5 years at $55 million + incentives. Probably a smart move by Ainge. >>

he might as well lock him up he made a great move drafting for him when everyone else let him slip into the 20's on draft night. ainge has been very good as GM once he got his feet under him. he picked and developed a lot of players to make big trades. and he adds good pieces to a strong team he built. i am glad to see him doing well in that position.
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>ainge has been very good as GM once he got his feet under him >>

Wow, three years ago I never would have thought that sentence would be uttered, but it's true.

Here's my big question...If they don't make the trades after the 06 season and the team has Rondo, Pierce, Jeff Green, Al Jefferson and Kendrick Perkins now, would the future be brighter? No question that they wouldn't have won a title or come close...but that lineup this year is a big time contender, right? Who knows, maybe Rondo doesn't develop the way he did w/o the (new) big 3 etc. But it's definitely a fun what-if game. That said, I wouldn't trade the title for anything. I just like playing out these scenarios. Plus, if they don't make those trades, they would have had first round picks the last two years.

I love the way they look this year. They are a SOLID 9 deep. Shelden Williams is a new favorite...thankfully they have a guy to replace my old favorite - Leon Powe.

Go C'!
  • Options
    Now 6-0! Terrible shooting, but enough good D to squeak out a 2 point road win.
  • Options

<< <i>Now 6-0! Terrible shooting, but enough good D to squeak out a 2 point road win. >>

Seriously! Those are the type of games that 60+ win teams manage to squeak out. They played bad, were travel weary and made some serious defensive mistakes against a bad team...and still won. Loving it.

Anyone have any comments on my previous post. Would love to hear opinions.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Now 6-0! Terrible shooting, but enough good D to squeak out a 2 point road win. >>

Seriously! Those are the type of games that 60+ win teams manage to squeak out. They played bad, were travel weary and made some serious defensive mistakes against a bad team...and still won. Loving it.

Anyone have any comments on my previous post. Would love to hear opinions. >>

Without the trades in the 07 off-season, they are maybe a 7 or 8 seed this year -- and only if Pierce was not traded. If you recall, Pierce was rumbling about demanding a trade if the Celts continued losing. Of course that all changed with Allen, and then KG coming aboard.

I think Ainge came close to stealing KG. When the trade rumors started, I thought there was no way they get KG without giving up Rondo and Jefferson. I was shocked when, other than Jefferson, they only had to give up mediocre and crap players to get the deal done.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Anyone have any comments on my previous post. Would love to hear opinions. >>

Without the trades in the 07 off-season, they are maybe a 7 or 8 seed this year -- and only if Pierce was not traded. If you recall, Pierce was rumbling about demanding a trade if the Celts continued losing. Of course that all changed with Allen, and then KG coming aboard.

I think Ainge came close to stealing KG. When the trade rumors started, I thought there was no way they get KG without giving up Rondo and Jefferson. I was shocked when, other than Jefferson, they only had to give up mediocre and crap players to get the deal done. >>

I didn't like giving up Gomes (a read hard nosed player)...but we also got bailed out of Telfair in that one. It was a fantastic trade for the C's.
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't like giving up Gomes (a read hard nosed player)...but we also got bailed out of Telfair in that one. It was a fantastic trade for the C's. >>

Better Gomes than Rondo!
  • Options
    another win!!! nice to see a solid win after the loss
    Fred

• Options
    Wow. Completely outplayed at home. What a disappointment...
  • Options
    I've never seen a team with Kevin Garnett look so inept on the glass. I'll write it off as a one game problem though. They have a terrible time with that athletic young Hawks team every time they play. Let's just hope not to see them (or Washington) in the playoffs.
  • Options
    two games in a row image
  • Options
    you are right two stinkers in a row
    Fred

• Options
    Wow, they looked really old in the first half against a young/athletic team. Then something happened - and Rasheed was the big spark (even though he couldn't throw it in the ocean) - but anyway....tough game to lose.
  • Options
    I'm afraid this is going to be a common theme all year for the C's with athletic teams giving them trouble. Of ATL, ORL, and CLE, they match up best with the Cavs, especially when Shaq is in the game.

Obviously the C's are a title contending team, but anyone that thinks a date with the Lakers in the Finals is inevitable has another thing coming.
  • Options
    The NBA season is too long for predicitons, lots of time to turn things around. Its a matter of health in the last month of the regular season, and/or the cut down in minutes of older vets. Nothing else matters as much before the last month. A #3-#6 team can win the title of healthy and on fire. If the old dog Celtics are healthy and rested, they have the best chance of getting to the Finals, same with the Lakers, if they are healthy, it will be a rematch of Lakers/Celtics. I am old enough to tell you I became a Laker fan when they drafted Magic, so I am not bandwagon, I've been a fan since 1979. (MSU ties) I respect the Celtics, and if it was up to me, I'd replay the 80's over and over. All other NBA teams pale in comparision, its a two team league. Yes there are other players and teams that make runs, such as the Spurs and Bulls/Jordan. The Spurs never repeated, and the Bulls were nothing before Jordan, and nothing after, and it looks as the Spurs slowly die, nothing after Duncan. Before 2 seasons ago, the Celtics were dead for a long time. Lakers 4-1 in titles last 10 years. Celtics 17 Lakers 15. Yes, the MN team counts, thats not what this is about, educated fans know the team changed cities, and its still the same team LAKERS, just a different city, its offical on the NBA books. Anyway, now that the Celtics are back, its once again a two team league. With an older team, I think Celtics will have more let downs such as lately, then the Lakers will. The Lakers mostly younger can rebound quicker after bad spells. And the NBA trade deadline is so far away when the season starts, it gives much time to tweak. Hey, any Celtic fans want Sasha??? Will trade for a half a can of Dr Pepper and half a roll of toilet paper?? image
  • Options
    hopefully a nice win over the knicks today will get them back in the right direction
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>hopefully a nice win over the knicks today will get them back in the right direction >>

Not a nice win, but a win's and win. Piss-poor shooting except for Paul Pierce.
  • Options
    OT win vs. the Knicks is not what I expected coming off a home loss on Friday night....not sure what's up, but they are struggling big time these last 2 weeks.
  • Options

<< <i>OT win vs. the Knicks is not what I expected coming off a home loss on Friday night....not sure what's up, but they are struggling big time these last 2 weeks. >>

i agree i didn't see that coming
    Fred

• Options
    nice win last night in san antonio i hope they come back with a win tonight with no let down.
    Fred

• Options
    Sweep of the road trip! C's on a roll! image
  • Options
  • Options
    yeah they are rolling now

tied for least losses with lakers.
    Fred

• Options
    This Daniels injury is going to hurt a bit. It's been Doc's ability to keep KG under 30 minutes/game that's given me confidence for the Playoffs. One less bench player is going to hurt. But, they do look good. Orlando and Cleveland losing recently has also made me start looking at the LAkers record. That said, let's not start getting too excited yet. Last year at this time they had one of the best starts in NBA History - and we saw how that ended.
  • Options
    What did this win give us? 10 in a row now?
  • Options
    Make it 11. Also finally back up to #1 on the Power Rankings.
  • Options