Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My latest RIP!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
RYK made the highlighted post in another thread and it struck me as such a coincidence that I thought I'd share today's experience with everyone. Thanks, Robert, you must be a psychic.

Next time the old man walks in the shop, just mug him. At least he will know how to expect to be treated next time.image

Funny you should say that because we had a tricky situation in the store this afternoon.......................

About one-thirty an elderly woman came in toting a big sack. She was struggling with it but we figured if she needed help she should have asked, so we just stood there and watched. When everything was dumped out we asked how much she wanted and my boss sort of slid the "quote" pages and GreySheets off the counter so she couldn't see what we were paying for anything. She told us there was some good stuff in the assortment as she rattled off her price.

We counter-offered, she huffed while she rolled her eyes, said "No deal, you guys are crooks!!" and started to grab up her stuff. Now I'll tell you, this old girl was quick and wirey, so we were caught off guard with how fast she made it to the door. I swear, if I hadn't of ankle tackled her she might have gotten away!!! In no time we had the door locked, the sign turned to "CLOSED" and the old bittie was strapped tightly into what we in the trade call the RIP convincing chair. I think I may have tied the gag a bit too tight, but it doesn't really matter, she wasn't gonna be doing any talking, just a nod of her head would be fine.

This is a routine we've had to use many, many times so we're pretty good at it. I grabbed a clipboard while my boss started to go through the collection, hovering over her everytime she balked with those pictures of the Grandkids(you'd be surprised how well that tactic works). We didn't even need to use the GreySheet, that's how agreeable she was to our offers. Everything was done in about 15 minutes and we high-fived happily with one of our quickest RIPS ever. All in all I think we even got some of the Modern stuff for under face and most of the Gold/Silver way back of melt. Honestly, the hardest part of the whole deal was getting the old girl to stop shaking so she could sign that darn disclosure form. Those things are really a pain, but we do our best to adhere to the laws around here.

After we turned her loose we figured we didn't even need to open the shop back up so we just concentrated on moving out all the fresh material. We thought that was a good idea since you never can tell when the market might take a dive.

So that's it, just another normal day at the shop. The slow days like this are the best ones, it's those days when the shop is crowded that really suck. Believe it or not, all the ignorant losers that stroll in expect us to check for VAMS, pay according to the sheet for VF War Nickel varieties and actually sort through bags of Wheat Cents. We always asjk how they know about that kind of thing and the standard reply we get is "We lurk at the PCGS forum, that place is great!!" Believe me, this place is really starting to put a crimp in our business.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good grief
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    "We always asjk how they know about that kind of thing and the standard reply we get is "We lurk at the PCGS forum, that place is great!!" Believe me, this place is really starting to put a crimp in our business."

Do you really get that answer? I often wonder how many people in my area that collect coins actually visit this forum.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    There are people that will you pay you for that type of treatment, no sale of goods required.
  • Options
    Another post by the guy who likes to read his own posts.....
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might add, next time just hypnotize her with say a 1901-S barber quarter... It's less messy...I'm just saying....MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Biddy.
  • Options
    Maybe it's just the pain meds, but I thought that was a funny story - thanks for the laugh!
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    LOL
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's OK if she never comes back since you probably cleaned
    her out anyway. Even if you didn't her heirs will be in with the
    rest of her collection soon enough anyway.

It's all good.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    At my favorite coin store they would have removed any gold crowns from her teeth before they let her out.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    image methinks you like your new job too much! imageimageimage
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Well gawd, I laughed.
  • Options
    keets, i believe you have redeemed yourself. welcome back
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets, I am sure your store has a video camera that takes video of the store, 24/7. Take the footage of the little old lady getting Ripped and post it on You Tube so we can all marvel at how efficiently and effectively you and your boss dispossessed the lady of the collection. It could be used as a training manual image

P.S. I am going out on a limb here, but assume your OP is tounge in cheek.
  • Options
    Kevin, i'm a snake so my post was clearly tongue in both cheeks!!!image
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another post by the guy who likes to read his own posts..... >>

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another post by the guy who likes to read his own posts..... >>

Yep...but, be careful else you will get nasty PMs from him whining about how maligned he is then how the poll he created showed the majority agreed with him, to be rounded off by some choice swear words if you still don't bow down to him

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    What does your RIP Convincing Chair look like?

I am aware of four different models.

A)

B)

C)

D)
  • Options
    hey Ron, i thought you were done?? what's wrong, got an agenda that ain't finished yet??

BTW, that was a nasty PM i sent you, but you can count on one finger the number i've sent like that.
  • Options
    it looks like A) except it has some wires and straps.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭
    Get over yourself, keets. There you go, enough ammo there for you to start a whole new thread.
  • Options
    well alright!!!!!

i knew you couldn't resist.image
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭
    I only just tuned in -- not on all the time, y'know. Enjoy your windfall, and as I said before, I sincerely hope you never find yourself on the other end of such a deal. I imagine it would be a truly sucky feeling.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I hope granny doesn't come back and try to sell her "Gold" piercings that is hidden in the bush. Keets you ole dog, that would be a story for the forum after 10pm..image
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AL, fact of the matter is: KARMA IS A BEEYOTCH.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    LOL!

everyone seems to have some opinion about you keets.

I just have to ask... was that story based on some truth that you spinned into a story? or do you sit around and think up of ways to torture customers and steal coins?

lol
    1887 P Morgans Please!!!
    My collections!!!! : : Photos

My new VAMmer facebook group! : Silver Dollar VAMmers
  • Options
    <<I swear, if I hadn't of ankle tackled her she might have gotten away!!! In no time we had the door locked, the sign turned to "CLOSED" and the old bittie was strapped tightly into what we in the trade call the RIP convincing chair. I think I may have tied the gag a bit too tight, but it doesn't really matter, she wasn't gonna be doing any talking, just a nod of her head would be fine.>>

Ok, Ok, Ok, that made me spit out soda all over my keyboard!

But... I have to say, hasnt this all gone on long enough?

An issue that should be brought up, known coin doctors that post here and AT coins and get caught. Then post to toner threads!
    Thats an issue I think deserves more attention than Keetsimage or his rip of the year.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hey Ron, i thought you were done?? what's wrong, got an agenda that ain't finished yet??

BTW, that was a nasty PM i sent you, but you can count on one finger the number i've sent like that. >>

I doubt it keets....I have a feeling that you have sent out a few more than that. You have turned into quite the person lately....attacking those who don't agree with you, nasty PMs (that YOU initiated), and all your little threads that are just designed to turn into flames.

You've changed over the last few years, and not for the better. Least, that's what I have observed. But, you are happy with yourself, so it's all good, right? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I can't believe I read the whole story, I must be tired.
    Just kidding, it was kind of funny. By the way where is your shop located, my mother in law has some coins to sell. image
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was great.image
    Larry

• Options
    Life is a circle............WGACA
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Why does this story remind me so much of "Pulp Fiction"

Bring out the Gimp.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
  • Options
    MoonbiterMoonbiter Posts: 652 ✭✭
    Hahaha, that's great. If you need another muscle man for the RIPS, give me a call. I'll work for nothing, as long as I can break a leg or something on the ones that don't cooperate.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>hey Ron, i thought you were done?? what's wrong, got an agenda that ain't finished yet??

BTW, that was a nasty PM i sent you, but you can count on one finger the number i've sent like that. >>

I doubt it keets....I have a feeling that you have sent out a few more than that. You have turned into quite the person lately....attacking those who don't agree with you, nasty PMs (that YOU initiated), and all your little threads that are just designed to turn into flames.

You've changed over the last few years, and not for the better. Least, that's what I have observed. But, you are happy with yourself, so it's all good, right? image >>

Hold on a moment Ron, I am the exulted ruling ass on this board- do not insinuate that Al is taking my place as being a PITA, the fact of the matter is- Al is a nice guy and a bunch of you fools jumped him like a punk on the streets of Chicago would.

If some of you have never RIPPED a dealer or a person selling to a dealer- then post like a real person- don't shoot any of us the BS that you are so pure in thought- you are far from being a Jimmy Carter wannabee, you are all more like a tricky Dick Nixon.

I am becoming less enthused with this hobby because of the crap I see here than ATS or for that matter on a few other coin boards, some here act almighty , and can't back there ass up to a wall if needed without cryin foul like a babysitter who could not raid the liquor cabinet.

Al- you're ok in my book as well as a few others - tell the rest to KMA....

arrrrrrrr-------image

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously you're a pro, you didn't even have to get out the electrodes!image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does this story remind me so much of "Pulp Fiction"

Bring out the Gimp. >>

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do I have to add you to my BST list now?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I don't know what to say.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cute story...I want to play Keets in the movie, opposite Harrison Ford playing the shop owner
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lol'd
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Kind of a funny story. I still think the OP is an "*****"
    I dont think its funny to brag about ripping some old man out of 4 or 5 grand on a coin. I dont think its funny to post here boasting about your blatent rips of people. I would still love to hear what shop you work at?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You've changed over the last few years, and not for the better. Least, that's what I have observed. But, you are happy with yourself, so it's all good, right? image >>

Hold on a moment Ron, I am the exulted ruling ass on this board- do not insinuate that Al is taking my place as being a PITA, the fact of the matter is- Al is a nice guy and a bunch of you fools jumped him like a punk on the streets of Chicago would.

If some of you have never RIPPED a dealer or a person selling to a dealer- then post like a real person- don't shoot any of us the BS that you are so pure in thought- you are far from being a Jimmy Carter wannabee, you are all more like a tricky Dick Nixon.

I am becoming less enthused with this hobby because of the crap I see here than ATS or for that matter on a few other coin boards, some here act almighty , and can't back there ass up to a wall if needed without cryin foul like a babysitter who could not raid the liquor cabinet.

arrrrrrrr-------image >>

Hey kids... don't drink and type.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

arrrrrrrr-------image >>

Hey kids... don't drink and type. >>

Or to quote Lawrence Taylor in the infamous Waterboy movie, "That kids brings us to our next next lesson. Don't smoke crack!" LMFAO
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file