Home U.S. Coin Forum

I've just stumbled upon a discovery....how to add luster to a non-luster coin...

Comments

• These boards would suck without idiots like the OP, really, this makes it entertaining and educational. Wonder who's alt this is?
  • rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭

<< <i>I used a very well known and easy obtainable product >>

Then I hate to say it, but chances are, someone else probably already "discovered" it way before you did.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
  • rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭

<< <i>trust me, I have discovered the [holy] grail... >>

I discovered the holy grail too once when I was a kid & dumped all my steel cents into a bucket full of muriatic acid... the toxic fumes nearly killed me, but man, I'd never seen those coins so shiny! image
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I got him an option... send his stuff to me and I'll bury it in a sandbox. I hear the blast white really comes out after a sand storm. It's the sand blasted effect! Your's for only $14.95 plus shipping.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think someone else made a similar "discovery" in the 1970s. That person processed quite a number of Morgan dollars, and sold them. It worked for a while, but folks caught on. These whizzed coins are sometimes are referred to as "California Proofs." To the untrained eye they look MS67 DMPL, and when they were new on the market, they did fool some folks. Remember this is back in the 1970s before grading companies, before there were eleven grades for uncirculated coins. >>

As a kid we used to add lots of luster to our dimes by rolling a little ball of mercury over their surface.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    "Dang...I forgot to renew my car insurance!"
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

• << <i>Interesting quote from op:
    "I used a very well known and easy obtainable product. but this is un-conventable with coins,,, "

Possible well known, easy obtainable product that is unconventional ( I know I corrected his ridiculous errors, give a drunk a break) with coins:
    a) pee pee
    b) barf
    c) coke a cola
    d) poop
    e) willow bark or bayer asprin
    f) any liquid hang over helper
    g) tail of the dog
    h) tobasco sause
    i) Paul Newman's Basalmic Vinegar dressing
    k)Paul Newman's Italian Tomato Sauce
    l) Dirty Fish tank water >>

m)all of the above
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I've just stumbled upon a discovery....how to add luster to a non-luster coin...

When you stumble upon a recipe for developing a brain, then you will have truly contributed something to society. Until then....fuhgedaboutit. What a clueless moron.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sí hombre, ¡una polla como una olla! Que tonteria escribes; haga el favor de voltar a su agujero.
    (No, it's not obscene, and no translation is necessary).
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • The real eye opener in this thread is seeing how much of an "Attention Whore" Realone is.image

And, his constant PM'ing Carolj to rat on people is enough to make a grown person puke.

Carol, he's being bad !!!!!
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I've just stumbled upon a discovery....how to add luster to a non-luster coin... >>

Not trying to get you mad but do you now what luster is? So many new collectors think a coins shine and luster are the same thing.... they are not.
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Well, I read through the whole thing +1 image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image

• << <i>Well, I read through the whole thing +1 image >>

• What we have here is a trolling expedition to catch Jackasses and a Realone was caught!!image
  • GTOsterGTOster Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Damm Funny post
    Paul
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The funniest part of this thread are the forum members that are taking the OP seriously and are trying to convince him he is wrong. Can't you guys recognize a spoof thread when you see one?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• OP's misspellings and bad poor language are so obviously contrived, pitiful.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess you can add me to those caught in the net because I just read the whole thread. IMO, clearly a contrived setup with poor spelling and an absurd claim that ensnared a few unwary forum members. No harm done, a good laugh, and I learned how to spell "unscruplious."

Who's calling who a moron now?
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of long ago registered alts have recently decided to come out and play. I wonder why?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• << <i>As a kid we used to add lots of luster to our dimes by rolling a little ball of mercury over their surface. >>

I remember that!!!

And the HazMat team never showed up image
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a wayto turn silver into pork chips, FRESH CUT pork chops. I don't want to tell how because I can make money on it. I will submit my. Pork chops to the USDA for review. If they come back Choice, I will let you know.

• << <i>I found a wayto turn silver into pork chips, FRESH CUT pork chops. I don't want to tell how because I can make money on it. I will submit my. Pork chops to the USDA for review. If they come back Choice, I will let you know. >>

Sorry but you will be disappointed....There are only two grades for pork chops (or chips) Acceptable and unacceptable

Buying Pork
    Like lamb, pork is generally produced from young
    animals and is, therefore, less variable in tenderness
    than beef. However, there is another reason why pork
    is less variable. Producers have responded to consumer
    demand by actually changing their feeding and
    management programs. They’ve even changed the
    genetic makeup of their breeding stock to consistently
    produce leaner carcasses. Also, most visible fat is
    trimmed off at the processing plant. Because of these
    changes, today’s fresh pork products have considerably
    less fat than they did just a decade ago.
    Because of this consistency, USDA grades for pork
    reflect only two levels of quality - Acceptable and
    Unacceptable. Acceptable quality pork is also graded
    for yield, i.e., the yield ratio of lean to waste. Unacceptable
    quality pork - which includes meat that is
    soft and watery - is graded U.S. Utility.
  • Oh great....now we will have to argue over NL versus AL. We still can't agree on NT and AT. LOL
  • Pic deleted
    SPEED OF LIGHTNING....ROAR OF THUNDER.

SEMPER FI 2/11 1977-1981
    "LAS PULGAS" image
  • I find the yo-yoing puppy fascinating! How long did it take to train this superpup?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it has been a long time, but this was certainly entertaining.... Cheers, RickO
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you an alchemist?
    LCoopie = Les
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of alts I should get myself one.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    HAHAHA, what a joke. Go peddle your crap somewhere else please.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.

• << <i>Me thinks it's all a joke. Let's just go along with it. >>

It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone swallowed it,hook line and sinkerimage
  • Of course if one could really add luster or add value any sort of way it is easy to monetize the idea.

Simply get some semi-valuable coins, add luster, then sell them for a profit.

Good luck! image
  • Very entertaining LOL.image

Reards, Larry

• << <i>

<< <i>I found a wayto turn silver into pork chips, FRESH CUT pork chops. I don't want to tell how because I can make money on it. I will submit my. Pork chops to the USDA for review. If they come back Choice, I will let you know. >>

Sorry but you will be disappointed....There are only two grades for pork chops (or chips) Acceptable and unacceptable

Buying Pork
    soft and watery - is graded U.S. Utility. >>

This is why pork is so dry when cooked like your parents cooked it.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Speaking of alts I should get myself one.

Steve >>

easy to train and they never make no-no's on the carpet. image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well forget the strike detail, then.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the crescendo image
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    100?

Edited to add:

• I would suggest taking the money that you make with your invention and go back and finish high school ... or at least take an ESL class so that we can understand what you are saying image
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking in this manner to most sincere person is fool.
    I have most faith in new method of lustering coin.
    Also I am having many millions of dollars which to fund production and development.
    This is time for getting partner to develop profit business.
    If poster send me small deposit to access funds I can help much.
    More funds available to all posters sending small deposit as can make corporation.
    Nigeria is most helpful country for corporation.

PayPal accepted along with financial information to create new and profitable company.

• << <i>

<< <i>I found a wayto turn silver into pork chips, FRESH CUT pork chops. I don't want to tell how because I can make money on it. I will submit my. Pork chops to the USDA for review. If they come back Choice, I will let you know. >>

Buying Pork
    soft and watery - is graded U.S. Utility. >>

How do you determine Artifical pork from natural pork. I misspelled artificial to keep this in line with the OP.
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this is not wizzed by you unsruplious folk.......this is natural and true....

if you do not all control yourselfs, i may never reaveal it......so be nice.,,. >>

Unsruplious?
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image It's early and I could not find a coffee mug.
    +1 for the morning crew.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be nice, he's only seven.
  • Ok, this is a little embarrasing. Last night when I started this post, I was 3 sheets to the wind,,. LOL...

Well, at least it was wine, so no big hangover. Geeesh.! I have alot to do today, so this will be breif and REVEALING.!!

First, I did enjoy reading everyones responses, funny thread. I was honest, in that last night I did take 3 coins from my collection, and THOUGHT that they were worn, BECAUSE they were dirty looking.....
    So, I wanted to expierament with them, (who hasnt tried it?). I figured they would still be worth melt value. Well, I did some reading around the internet about toning and so forth, and read that someone used "Dandruf Shampoo" to make their silver dollars rainbow tone, Well, I said, "I will try that"...

So, went and bought some.. (because I don't have dandruff, LOL)....

So, I put them on a plate, and and covered them completely with the shampoo, and put them in the oven on 250 for like 2-3hours, And yes, this is when I started to drink the wine as well. hehehe....
    Well, the stuff was smelling pretty good actually, and after awhile, I pulled them out, let them cool.....
    And washed them off (with hot tap water), and YES, they ALL were significantly more lusterious and BU.!, WELL guess what I realized ????

(Unfortunatly after I started this post that is.....lmao.!!)

I realized these coins were already "Dirty toned" , or naturally toned, whichever, they were dirty looking, BUT BU coins laying underneath !!

You see, I have never CLEANED a coin (Chemically at least), before, So, I had never seen a coin that had LOOKED dirty (and I thought worn)and then come out SHINY.!!
    You all probably have, and if you haven't, it's quite a shock to see this happen, lolol.....Sorry, I can't stop laughing over this.
    So, I wanted to just clear this all up. It goes to show we all learn something new, and this has taught me to look closer at a coin.
    So, give it a try...!! I don't think it hurt anything to the coin, but they do look great, and they are staying with me.

OH, and YES, I am still burying my coin collection.!! Have a great day ALL.!!! imageimageimage BTW - where is the spellcheck button?
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    I just HAD to spoof you John Boy!image
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BULL %*#!@!~$%&(*
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have factory make many coin. look good.

could you bury them in american ground and make shiny again after

we could mutual business and you sell my copie

I also take old coin - make dye - press 50 Mt add luster

good for old half and dolls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file