Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

YN Forum Member Essay Contest Huge Jumbo Mega Multi Senior Member Contribution Prize Pot.

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Hi everyone i finally got my account approved and im out of school today so i can talk to anyone thanks for including me in this give a way
    -Megan
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Update: This contest started with the giveaway of a SINGLE Peace $1 for the best essay... and then the Pot GREW. This thread is a mess, however I'm not going to change things as we are now past mid-stream. I'll PM all the Essays to all the Contibuting Members and ask them to Cast their votes. On Sunday June 8 th 9:01 PM EST all the votes should be in and 1st, 2nd, 3rd Places will be chosen and some lucky YN will take the whole Pot.
    >>

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Update: This contest started with the giveaway of a SINGLE Peace $1 for the best essay... and then the Pot GREW. This thread is a mess, however I'm not going to change things as we are now past mid-stream. I'll PM all the Essays to all the Contibuting Members and ask them to Cast their votes. On Sunday June 8 th 9:01 PM EST all the votes should be in and 1st, 2nd, 3rd Places will be chosen and some lucky YN will take the whole Pot.
    >>

image >>

Oh, I have a great idea !

My VOTE image

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I don't like it going to one person. Should be rewarding for all involved.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Broadstruck, this could start a coup. I think a rules change is in order, if so many people feel the same way.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    Hello all. Thanx for joining me bedside from the hospital, following my latest round of surgery, madated by an emergency last night. Fortunately, the surgery, including my last one a month and a half, or so ago, and including my next round in 6-8 months, are all due to lower back problems (discs crushed, floating fragments latching onto nerve roots, hoping to avoid them lodging into my spinal cord, etc...). Its not that they are walks in the park, but the need for surgery isnt because of an illness or something more drastically dreadful. I'll be laid up for a few days, here at the hospital, but will have the laptop (periods of consciousness are not guaranteed, those being dictated by how often I hit the plunger on the dilaudid), but I'll be around, and I have PM'ed Broadstruck to stay on top of whats what (man, he's gonna need a vacation when he's done sorting this out..)

How come when I brought up 'Battle Royale', it was a bad idea, then Marty brings up a cage match, and everyone wants in, including ringers (rasslers) coming out of the woodwork??? lol

Broadstruck, dont worry, am back on my old meds, and will be for awhile. I mentioned to my doctor people liked me and my opinions better when I was on my old meds....so, back on them I am. Just wanted you to know that...lol
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>I don't like it going to one person. Should be rewarding for all involved. >>

I don't think Broadstruck meant it was going to one person, there are prizes that go to everyone, and there are several second and third place prizes already designated. Mark, I know your prize was one of the biggies, you may want to PM Broadstruck - he should be back tomorrow sometime I believe and I am sure he would want to hear from you. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>Hello all. Thanx for joining me bedside from the hospital, following my latest round of surgery, madated by an emergency last night. Fortunately, the surgery, including my last one a month and a half, or so ago, and including my next round in 6-8 months, are all due to lower back problems (discs crushed, floating fragments latching onto nerve roots, hoping to avoid them lodging into my spinal cord, etc...). Its not that they are walks in the park, but the need for surgery isnt because of an illness or something more drastically dreadful. I'll be laid up for a few days, here at the hospital, but will have the laptop (periods of consciousness are not guaranteed, those being dictated by how often I hit the plunger on the dilaudid), but I'll be around, and I have PM'ed Broadstruck to stay on top of whats what (man, he's gonna need a vacation when he's done sorting this out..)

How come when I brought up 'Battle Royale', it was a bad idea, then Marty brings up a cage match, and everyone wants in, including ringers (rasslers) coming out of the woodwork??? lol

Broadstruck, dont worry, am back on my old meds, and will be for awhile. I mentioned to my doctor people liked me and my opinions better when I was on my old meds....so, back on them I am. Just wanted you to know that...lol >>

Just hit the MORPHINE drip and go back to sleep....imageimage
  • Options
    By the way...hospital food isnt as bad as it was when I was a kid. As a matter of fact, tonites dinner of roast beef, red potatoes, green beans (that actually were crisp, not soggy) was really good.

Always remember this....if you dont like ginger ale and Jello, then plan to bring your own snacks to the hospital, whenever you require in-patient care!!! I think hospitals probably have more of these two items than anything else in the budget!! lol
  • Options
    cinman14...thanx...I think?? image By the way, I hit that plunger so often, my thumb is cramping. I could have a distinct advantage on Jeopardy, but then again, you have to answer the question correctly, so....
  • Options
    <<<I don't like it going to one person. Should be rewarding for all involved. >>>>

I totally agree Mark.
  • Options

<< <i>cinman14...thanx...I think?? image By the way, I hit that plunger so often, my thumb is cramping. I could have a distinct advantage on Jeopardy, but then again, you have to answer the question correctly, so.... >>

image yes I was making a "funny" image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't like it going to one person. Should be rewarding for all involved. >>

This seems very reasonable.
  • Options
    I don't have a horse in this race but I do have some thoughts. Broadstruck is doing the right thing by maintaining the rules that he originally had in place. The rules were clearly posted, and every kid who submitted an essay understood that his/her essay would be judged against essays that might have been written by 18 year olds. The rules state that the prize pot will go to the essay judged to express the "best perspective" on the hobby. These essays can be judged based on that criteria alone, at the discretion of each judge, regardless of how well written or how long they are. Each essay will resonate differently with each judge. It's my understanding that those who have contributed a prize will be the ones voting. There are enough voters to yield a good range of opinion.

Kids respect rules. They shouldn't be changed after the essay deadline- that is unfair, though I can understand why this has been proposed. (There are a lot of kind-hearted members of this forum. And, the prize pot is huge.) It seems to me that kids are well-versed in the "everyone's a winner" philosophy that has been a by-product of the self esteem movement over the last couple of decades. They understand the concept of respecting each other's work and opinions. If this contest had been originally set up to evenly divide the prizes among all the participants, fine. However, it wasn't. It's possible that there could be a tie for first place, which might divide the pot in half.

The board members have been super generous to donate prizes. Winning first place, with so many great donations, is an exciting once-in-a-llifetime opportunity for a YN.

Do you think PCGS would change the rules on the World Series of Coin Trading after the contest deadline, because everyone who participated tried hard and did a good job and everyone deserves to split the $10,000? I can visualize SaintGuru's response, written in capital letters.

Seems to me that this contest has about a dozen entries. At first, there was no way to predict how many YN's would participate. As Broadstruck sketched it out, there will be a big prize pot for the first place winner, multiple prizes for the second and third place winners, and (I think I read somewhere in this long thread) participation prizes for each participant. So everyone will get recognized in some way. The YN's knew this going in.

One last thing that I think we need to reinforce with our kids. This is not a presidential race, or the finals of a singles tennis match. It's okay not to win. Just because you're not the first place winner, it doesn't mean that you're a loser. It won't always go your way. Most times it's enough just to play the game, and play as well as you can. The YNs responded to Broadstruck's idea of a contest and wrote their essays, each at their own level and giving it the time and effort they could afford on top of homework, sports practices, etc.. The board members responded with enthusiasm and donated prizes. I think everyone enjoyed reading what the YNs had to say. The contest was a nice way for the forum community to come together. Let's keep the positive energy flowing, and avoid drawing out the prize debate.

• Options
    notlogicalnotlogical Posts: 2,235

<< <i> This is not a presidential race, >>

So i guess it won't do any good to promise if I win I'll share all the prizes with all the other contestants. image
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Notlogical.
  • Options

<< <i>

So i guess it won't do any good to promise if I win I'll share all the prizes with all the other contestants. image >>

You are correct - and a very bright (and clever) YN at that!!! And I SWEAR there is no bias just because you are a big Wisconsic extra leaf quarter fan!

Perry
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    I agree! Notlogical is a class guy.
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

So i guess it won't do any good to promise if I win I'll share all the prizes with all the other contestants. image >>

POTD material image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunday's not gonna work either as so many members are at Baltimore.

Still a lot of members against posting their vote in the thread, as YN's might haunt them in their sleep...

I guess where heading towards a POLL.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I will give the other YN's a little advice from the heart. Don't be so quick to offend. I stated my point of view. That was all.
    >>

And I simply stated mine. That was all. >>

lastword willie has spoken image
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    This was a very difficult decision. There were many excellent essays and it was obvious that many YNs put a large amount of thought and effort into this. The more I think about this, the more I like this contest from how the pot is divided. Here is what I mean: This is similar to owning your own company and competing for business or going on a job interview! You may be a great candidate for the job or have a compelling reason why you should win the business but the decision makers may feel different and award the job/business to someone else. This award may go to the other candidate for reasons and priorities that were unexpected to you. This is tough and it maybe a setback but there will be other contests. I would suggest everyone uses this as a great learning experience. I sure have learned something about running a contest loaded with donations. I hope to organize one myself later in the summer building upon what we have learned here.

I have no issue placing my vote out for public view. From an educational experience I would hope that if the YNs asked "why" we voted the way we did, that we would be able to tell them.

I took into an account the following:

1 - The Essay.
    2 - The way it was written.
    3 - The content.
    4 - How engaging I thought it would be to a numismatic audience.
    5 - How engaging it was as I read it.
    6 - How enjoyable it was to read.
    7 - The age of the YN.
    8 - How the YNs conducted themselves on this thread

Some may disagree with this number eight. But as far as I am concerned, this is a very large prize and it needs to be in the hands of the right caretaker. It should go to a strong writer with excellent character. IMHO, trying to change the conditions of the contest as a contestant, posturing for an advantage or taking actions "because everyone else is doing it" is not the profile I am looking for in a caretaker for this prize.

Given the above criteria, my vote is as follows:

1st Place - fengk YN Age 15
    2nd Place - notlogical YN Age 14
    3rd Place - Weather11am YN Age 17
    4th Place - Stella YN Age 15

Thanks again to all those who participated. Again, there were some very strong essays.

Warmest Regards,

Rob Cunningham
    Oxy8890
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I will give the other YN's a little advice from the heart. Don't be so quick to offend. I stated my point of view. That was all.
    >>

And I simply stated mine. That was all. >>

lastword willie has spoken image >>

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck's poll is up.
    Vote!

Good luck to all the YNs.

Broadstruck's YN poll.
  • Options

<< <i>Broadstruck's poll is up.
    Vote!

Broadstruck's YN poll. >>

Special Thanks to member "Swampboy" who talked me through how to set up my first Poll. image
  • Options
    Broadstruck,

Unfortunately, now everyone and their grandmother can vote!!image
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    all essays were very well written, great job. My picks are

1)#14

2) #2

3) #7

I wish all you YN's the very best. Coin collecting is a great hobby. My advice to all is to pick one series you love.
    When I started out I was buying everything and anything, but once I got focused on one series (jefferson nickels)
    I was able to really get into it and learn everything I could about them. Once I finished my second full book, I then branched out
    a type set. I guess what I am saying is do what is right for you. Also, this forum and its many great members are a world of information.

Use them, and no question is a dumb one.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>Broadstruck's poll is up.
    Vote!

Broadstruck's YN poll. >>

• Options
    mashmash Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    People can make accounts just to vote for them self you know...
    Buying uncut sheets and 1914 stars! message me
  • Options

<< <i>People can make accounts just to vote for them self you know... >>

That would be cheating and pretty low for someone to do, just to win a contest (even if there are really great prizes to be won).
    Brie

I am a YN that likes collecting state quarters and newer dollar coins
  • Options
    mashmash Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be a shock to me...
    Buying uncut sheets and 1914 stars! message me
  • Options
    What happens if it ends in a tie?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>People can make accounts just to vote for them self you know... >>

That would be cheating and pretty low for someone to do, just to win a contest (even if there are really great prizes to be won). >>

Unfortunately Brie this is one of the many problems with the real world...lack of integrity and accountability. Just because you have it does not mean everyone else does.
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options

<< <i>What happens if it ends in a tie? >>

Broadstruck will break the tie and cast the deciding vote.

Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Just **WHEN** will the announcement be made ?????
  • Options
    notlogicalnotlogical Posts: 2,235
    I wish no one ever told me about how the poll is going and how many votes I have. I don't know if I feel depressed, disappointed, frustrated or humiliated. image

I think I would rather find out if I won or lost but not know by how much. image
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options

<< <i>I wish no one ever told me about how the poll is going and how many votes I have. I don't know if I feel depressed, disappointed, frustrated or humiliated. image

I think I would rather find out if I won or lost but not know by how much. image >>

Just remember - since voters can only vote for the SINGLE essay they like best, it is going to result in a much more lopsided tally, but all of the YNs did a fantastic job and every single one of you is a winner in MY book!! And how can you be disappointed if you did your absolute best? You can't control what others think, and as long as you are happy with what you wrote, that is all that matters!!! And if that doesn't work, look at your sig line - "Winner of the 2006 & 2007 CSNS Daniel Parker Junior Literary Award" - need I say more?

Perry
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options

<< <i>Just **WHEN** will the announcement be made ????? >>

On Sunday night.
  • Options

<< <i>What happens if it ends in a tie? >>

Well the Poll is just for getting more votes so don't pay too much attention as there are votes in this thread and that have been PM'd to me prior to the Poll which need to be accounted for. Some of these members came right out and stated they where not voting in the poll.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>how many votes has there been?
    TTT >>

I'd like to know too. Could somone who has already voted tell us how the poll is going? >>

101 on the POLL
  • Options

<< <i>so much for the rule that you can only vote if you donated
    TTT >>

laxmaster92, As you know I didn't want a poll...

but if it makes you feel better I could count the contributors and subtract the over votes from your essay? imageimage

• Options
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Finally got my vote in (at the last minute, as usual image). I must say it was a difficult decision and everyone did an excellent job. image
    aka Dan
  • Options
    TTT
  • Options
    Waiting for the results of this contest is harder than waiting for the end of the school year!!! Is there any way to see the results so far if you don't vote?
    Brie

I am a YN that likes collecting state quarters and newer dollar coins
  • Options
    Hang in there, as it's almost over! image

Or should we push the end of the vote out another week? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file