Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

YN Forum Member Essay Contest Huge Jumbo Mega Multi Senior Member Contribution Prize Pot.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you get my essay? >>

Yes... signing up in Dec 2007 an then becoming a lurker was a good thing for you! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>Did you get my essay? >>

Welcome to the forum! (or, welcome out of the shadows!) image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>Am I allowed back yet, or do I really need to wait till 9:01pm on June 1st, Broadstruck? image >>

I vote for ammnesty for nutz image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Less than 2 hours!
  • Options
    1 Hour and a couple minutes till the essays get revealed...Thanks again to the generous forum members...image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    hopefully understanding is given as i've tried to get "meggers" account active as she's my girlfriends daughter at age 12 who wrote an essay too.something about approval???

if the pm with the essay didn't work i'll post it here but she made the deadline and truly is a champ with let's just say days and days of searching penny boxes from the bank with me and shares my excitement over all things coins

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭
    turned mine in
  • Options
    Just sent in another copy, i fixed some typos. Sorry for the last minute rush.

cheers,
    Mike
  • Options
    9:00
  • Options
    Time's up!

Page 9
  • Options
    TIME IS UP!!!
  • Options
    OldCommemsYN, Your PM feature is not turned on... Sorry your Essay was turned in at 9:10 PM, that's 10 minutes too late! image
  • Options
    so where are they? image
  • Options

<< <i>so where are they? image >>

Give me a few minutes there where a few more entries I'm validating and will paste. image
  • Options
    Sorry, sorry I just want to see the other entries image
    The essays are going to be voted on annonymously correct? Without names and ages or entrants?
  • Options
    I can tell that everybody is very anxious for the essays image
  • Options
    yeah, someone is a bit on edge here...
  • Options

<< <i>hopefully understanding is given as i've tried to get "meggers" account active as she's my girlfriends daughter at age 12 who wrote an essay too.something about approval???

if the pm with the essay didn't work i'll post it here but she made the deadline and truly is a champ with let's just say days and days of searching penny boxes from the bank with me and shares my excitement over all things coins >>

lasvegasteddy, not sure what to do with meggers as of right now with the end of the contest she just doesn't exist as a member??? image
  • Options
    1.) YN Age 15

Numismatics is defied as the study and collecting of coins, and a numismatist is defined as a student and/or collector who is knowledgeable in numismatics. These definitions fail to distinguish between the two major types of numismatists – ones who collect solely for investment purposes and those who collect as a hobby and truly enjoy looking at and connecting to the vast history of coins. Personally, I collect coins because it is something that I can spend hours on each day and never get bored. There are so many different paths that coins can take you on, whether you like big coins, little coins, copper, silver, or gold coins, and the possibilities are endless. Coins will always be a part of my life, no matter what the situation is, because of this.

I began collecting coins in the middle of seventh grade while doing a project in history class about economics in America. My father gave me some coins to take into class and show everyone, and from then on I started to gain interest and knowledge in coin collecting. Fast forward to the beginning of eighth grade – my grandfather passed away, and my grandmother discovered that I collected coins, so I inherited the small accumulation that my grandfather had left behind. These coins became the starting point of my collection, and it has only grown greater ever since.

Coin collecting is enjoyable to me because it reveals the immense and amazing history of each era that humans have experience since the beginning of time. Coins are not only metal objects that are used as legal tender; they are also small pieces of times gone by that remind us of what life was like in the past. From my standpoint, it is astonishing that coins are still around from thousands and thousands of years ago based on all of the hands they have passed and all of the historic events that they have been around for.

Considering that I’m only a young numismatist, I find the PCGS coin forum to be of great assistance to me in learning about the many different aspects of coin collecting. I truly appreciate the consideration that many of the members exhibit towards young numismatists on the boards because as it is stated in the original thread, “we our the future of the hobby,” and the best way to keep the hobby alive is by learning from those who have experience and are willing to share important occurrences. The members of the boards have really helped me familiarize myself with the world of coin collecting, and I hope that one day I will be able to help the future generation of coin collectors.

2.) YN Age 14

My interest in coins is because my dad would call me over to look at them while going through our change bank. I would try to find old pennys. then then pennys before 1982. Statehood quarters, and Kennedys
    He started showing me really old coins. 2cent, 3cent, half dimes. I love those.
    He has given me stories to read about artist and sculpters that have created coin designs.
    Dad has also told me about a collectors with great collections that are artist and sculpters.
    We also talk about history and how coins were effected by it.
    We talk about the state quarters and thee designs. Now we also talk about the President dollars.

I will keep my collection for a very long time and plan to add more coins when I can.

3.) YN Age 15

I was drawn to numismatics at the tender age of eight. My great-grandfather had quite an accumulation of coins - a hoard of sorts. His accumulation included several thousand wheat cents, a few hundred Buffalo nickels, loads of 90% silver, and even the occasional gold coin. When I was 8, I received a small orange button silk pouch with a few of the wheat cents in it. That day, I decided that I was going to go around the neighborhood (it was a tight knit community) and ask the older folks for cents, to try to make $1.00 (a small fortune to an 8-year-old).

I finally met my goal, after about an hour, when the late Melvin Johnson, who lived about a block away from my great-grandparents, reached his tobacco-stained hands into his denim jeans, and pulled out the last 3 cents that I needed.

I was bitten. The bug had attacked me, and knocked me over. I kept those wheat cents, and the silk pouch, in a little green lock box that I had; along with about 25 shark's teeth, a Mickey Mouse watch, and 3 one-dollar bills. I hid the box under my bed, and kept those wheat cents safe.

About 6 months later, my family and I were browsing a local flea market, as we often did on weekends, and we decided to go 'inside.' This flea market has an outside portion for sellers with various wares - tennis shoes, yard sale junk, and the like. Then, it has an indoors portion for arts and crafts, antiques, paintings, you know - the more 'expensive' stuff. We had never ventured indoors at the flea market before, so we decided to go inside, completely on a whim. Right inside the door is a coin shop! It's pretty small, only 4 or 5 display cases, and one big vault in the back of the room. It's a husband and wife team, Neil and Christine, and they run the place.

Anyways, we ventured indoors, and at the shop my eyes quickly wandered. I felt myself drawn to a case of bright shiny new cents. But something was wrong with these cents - they were all, well, wrong! There was a velvet pad of probably 50 or more off-center cents. Christine saw me drooling over the coins, so she pulled out the pad, put on some cotton gloves, and gave me a lesson on how these things happen. She showed me basically what to look for - she wanted me to pick out a coin with a readable date, not too many marks, etc. I picked out a coin, and she put it in a flip for me and just handed it to me. I was in shock. Not only do I get to see these magnificent pieces (remember, I was only 8 years old) I get to take one home? No way! So, I stuck the error in my pocket, and we went home. Guess where I put the cent? That's right, in my green lock box, next to my 3 wheat cents, silk pouch, 25 or so shark's teeth, Mickey Mouse watch, and 3 one-dollar bills.

If that wasn't enough to get me into collecting, a while after that, the "tooth fairy" left me an ike dollar, and a 1992 Kennedy Half under my pillow one night. I just couldn't get enough.

In the beginning, I started like most of us did. I would collect coins out of pocket change, out of those change jars. I received 4 or 5 blue Whitman albums one Christmas from my maternal grandmother. She and her husband also had a small box of coins, all in paper envelopes. There were maybe 300 silver Roosevelt dimes, a handful of Mercury dimes, some silver Washington quarters. It turns out that my grandfather had collected these when he was a teenager, from his summer job tending to vending machines. He would remove the till from the machine and sort through the coins. He would pull out any silver coins he found, and replace them with their clad counterparts. So, together we sorted through his box of coins, and filled holes in those Whitman albums. I would read him the date and mintmark, and he would try and put the coin in the album. We all know how those blue Whitman albums are - you have to have a PhD to know how to get the coins in there correctly!

I have had several stages in my collecting, like most of you. I've had a World Coin stage, a currency stage, a Dansco stage (I owned upwards of 20 almost complete Dansco albums at one time), and many more. The stage I remember most vividly, and the one that influences my collecting habits most today, was probably my Morgan Dollar stage. My aim was to complete a Morgan Dollar date set, which I eventually did. It forced me to learn how to grade coins, how to spot cleaned/altered coins, and to really research what I was buying. I focused on circulated original coins, instead of shiny cleaned junk. It took a strong discipline, especially when that $20 that I got from mowing the lawn was burning a hole in my pocket. But I did it, and the sense of accomplishment I felt was very rewarding.

I purchased my first graded coin in January of 2006. The coin was a NGC-graded 2005 Kennedy Half Dollar PF69UCAM. I won it for the exorbitant amount of $0.99 on eBay. Until then, I was under the impression that I could not own a slabbed coin for less than $50. I had watched Coin Vault a lot, and thought that since they claimed it cost $50 to get a coin graded, it would make no sense to sell one for less. So, I eagerly awaited its arrival. Upon receiving the coin, I decided to do more research on the NGC product. I visited their website, and found out about the Collector's Society, and their message boards. I lurked for a while, and finally joined. A while later, I joined the PCGS boards, and I have been learning ever since.

Currently, my focus is on circulated type coins. I have a registry set that I am using to build a certified type set. I focus on crusty original, deeply patinated specimens. I am also working on a raw Dansco 7070 US Type Set album. I'm about 45% done with that set, but I've still got a ways to go. I like the idea of a type set, instead of a single series, since you can explore all different series, and get a feel for a wide array of niches. You also explore how coinage has evolved over the years, and the history behind the changes in design. The story of the Racketeer nickel, and the wartime coinage comes to mind.

Today, what keeps me collecting is the joy of holding history in my hand. I find numismatics to be a way to connect to the past - something that cannot be easily accomplished by other means. To hold a coin in your hand that was minted during the American Civil War, or World War Two, and imagine where the coin has been for all this time, and whose hands this coin might have passed through is truly fascinating to me. I mean, to even see a coin that was minted at the birth of this country - or any other country, for that matter - gives me chills sometimes. Someone iconic could have held a coin you own. Maybe your Capped Bust Half was in the pocket of a Civil War Soldier. Or your Walking Liberty Half was carried in the purse of the wife of a WWII marine away on the front lines. Heck, maybe your Half Disme was held by George Washington. I love to think of all of the possibilities, and know that, for however brief a time, I added my own little piece of history to that coin. With all of the passion I have for numismatics, I want you veteran numismatists to know - the future of your hobby is in good hands.

4.) YN Age 12

I have been collecting coins for a few years now and I think it is a lot of fun to do. I usually buy most of my coins from my dad and he is very nice and sells them a little cheaper to me. I have been to a few coin shows and they were interesting and help me learn more about coins. I have had more time to collect coins now because I broke my arm. I think that error coins look really cool and I collect a few of those. I also have been saving up to buy one of the tenth ounce platinum coins. My dad is still selling them at what they where when they came out to me. It will probably take me about a year of hard work to earn the $600s to buy one. The reason I am buying the platinum coin is because my dad said and I can also see that they are going to increase in worth by a lot. I help my dad look and check coins to send in for grading. He usually will pay me about $10 an hour for doing that but, sometimes I just do it to help. I have never sold any of my coins except for a couple back to my dad. My collection of coins is not to big though because I spend money on other things besides coins and they are expensive. I hope to be as much as a coin collector as my dad when I grow up. He is the one who got me into all of this and I think it is fun to do.

5.) YN Age 16

My introduction to numismatics was a “magical” event which occurred at an early age. From the time when I first began to loose my baby teeth, the Tooth Fairy would come at night and, through some inexplicable act of magic, replace my pearly white tooth with an even more fascinating Morgan Dollar. Peace dollars also sometimes appeared beneath my pillow. Although I soon discovered that the Tooth Fairy was only a figment of a child’s imagination and that my father, a coin collector himself, was the source of these historical cartwheels, the magic of numismatics remained real for me. Since my father had collected coins from his childhood, through his gifts I had accumulated a collection of mainly circulated type coins and coins which I had plucked from circulation. We also occasionally traveled to coin shows during family vacations or visited coin shops closer to home, so I thus gained a small insight into the larger world of numismatics. While at home, I would often study the coins which I had collected in my “treasure box.” I was especially fascinated with my Morgan Dollars because these were some of the earliest dated coins which I owned. Also, an 1858 Flying Eagle Cent in my collection was an extremely interesting coin despite the heavy scratches which it had suffered during its time in circulation. Overall, nearly any series of coins was fascinating to me and I became eager to learn more.

Around the time when I was eleven years old, I went to a coin show in St. Louis, Missouri and became especially interested in numismatics. I quickly began reading many coin-related text books, and my father and I soon began to travel to many more coin shows together. From Q. David Bowers to David Lange and the classic Redbook, I had developed a nearly insatiable desire for information about rare coins. During the year 2001, a slower year for the coin market, I walked around the bourse floor in St. Louis while learning all I could about the coins on display. I told my father, “We should do this [numismatics] as a business, Dad.” He looked around the sparsely-attended bourse somewhat skeptically before he gently commented that not only were there were very few other attendees at the show, but also that they actually were giving out a dollar to each person who came in the door! Unabashed, I still believed that I had a good idea. Luckily for me, my father soon decided to actively participate in the coin market again and sold one $5,000 coin from his collection in order to purchase more inventory while encouraging my interest. Because the market for rare coins began to heat up and I so enjoyed numismatics, this turned out to be a profitable, educational, and also enjoyable decision. With the money from this sale and the assistance of a few helpful dealers, we began to purchase coins and function as small-time dealers with a family business. At first we encountered resistance from some buyers because of our relatively recent entrance into the coin market. However, with time such situations were much less common.

Some entertaining situations had developed on the bourse floor throughout this learning process as well. For example, when I was relatively new to the coin show circuit and about twelve years old, my father and I had traveled to a small coin show in Peoria, Illinois. Soon after arriving, we decided that I would walk a 1942 NGC Proof 65 Mercury Dime around the bourse floor and attempt to sell this coin in order to learn more about salesmanship. After studying the lovely mirrored surfaces of this gem under the light, I began walking the bourse floor to find a buyer for the coin. While examining the cases of the various dealers, I discovered one bespectacled dealer who had multiple examples of similarly dated proof coins in his display case. With the rationalization that such a dealer might purchase my coin, I politely asked if he would be interested in looking at the proof Mercury dime. He responded, “I do buy that kind of coin,” so I hopefully handed this numismatic treasure to the dealer. He carefully scrutinized the surfaces for a few minutes with a loupe under his light, looked up at me, and stated with a sneer, “I don’t buy coins from kids, but I suppose I could pay $15 for this piece.” Crestfallen, but determined to be successful, I did not let the disappointment show on my face while I took the coin back from him. I then said, “Thank you, anyway. That is not the price I had in mind.” As this coin was worth around $200 at the time, this offer was apparently unreasonable when coming from someone familiar with the series. To make the situation worse, I was fully convinced that both the dealer and I were both aware of these facts. As I turned around to find my father on the bourse floor, I was cognizant of the fact that this dealer had probably attempted to offer such a low price mainly because of my age.

Once I had explained to my father what had happened and was prepared to try again with a different dealer, Dad had already come up with a plan. Since the coin dealer in question had not seen my father and me together and was not aware that we were working together, Dad decided to take the coin over to the same dealer and show it to him again. This time, however, we were going to “turn the tables” on the dealer. My father walked over to the dealer's table, showed the coin to him, and asked, “Are you interested in this coin?” while I waited nearby. The dealer asked curiously, “Where did you get this coin?” My father caused the dealer to become quite frustrated and nearly apoplectic when he replied, “I just bought this from some kid. She said that the best offer had been $15, so I paid her $20 for it. I thought it was a really good deal.” Having heard my father’s facetious comment, the dealer soon fell speechless. In a small way, this negative situation had turned into a learning experience which I have not forgotten. I can gladly say that now, through a combination of my numismatic education and dealing with more professional, considerate collectors and dealers, such occurrences are no longer commonplace.

In order to gain more knowledge, each time that we drove to coin shows to buy and sell I would read numismatic literature and Heritage auction catalogs for nearly the entire trip while gleaning as much as I could from the crisp pages. I also examined the images of coins, both rare and common, while trying to practice my grading skills. My father taught me how to be a better salesman and about the functionality of the coin market while I worked on learning more and more about the coins which I loved. We attended small auctions, large shows, and almost every numismatic event in between. The mainstay of our inventory in the early days of my experience in the coin business was circulated silver Washington Quarter sets, 1940s-1950s proof sets, and 1936-1959 proof singles. The Washington sets included the 1932-D and 32-S, which were the main source of value for the sets which we put together to sell. It was exciting to put together an entire set and sell it! After learning more, however, our inventory expanded and improved significantly until I was eventually dealing with coins in the monetary range of over $1,000 from various series. My interest and ability continued to grow until I was hired by a national coin dealer as a numismatist to work at coin shows in 2006. My father continued to remain on the show circuit as well.

Most importantly, the historical, monetary, and artistic qualities of coinage all have attracted me to numismatics. I like to hold a piece of history in my hand and imagine what historical figures may have spent this same coin in the past. Furthermore, the artistic aspects of coins fascinate me. Not only are the designs interesting to examine, but analyzing and grading them is also quite fun. I have continued to study my collection at home, but my regular attendance at major coin shows around the country has allowed me to become much more involved in numismatics and see rare items which I could not have otherwise seen. Coin conventions have also given me the opportunity to meet many fascinating people and experts who have helped to teach me about coins. In addition, the U.S. Coin Forum has allowed me to further expand my knowledge with the help of knowledgeable Forum Members. Also, the variety of numismatic material which I have been and am now able to handle is quite exciting for me. I have been able to, for example, personally examine raw Proof Gold Liberty $5’s and $10’s instead of only gazing at them in auction catalogs, closely study PCGS MS65 1932-D Washington Quarters, and even participate in many large auctions. Whether I am buying a $10 Mercury Dime, purchasing a $4,000 Bust Half, or simply reading about numismatic topics, coins continue to fascinate me. From die cracks to famous collections, the stories and history associated with coins are endlessly fascinating for me. In addition, I know that I will still continue to keep learning about many facets of numismatics with the help of other coin experts and mentors since there is so much more which I can learn. Because of my love of coins and how enriching and enjoyable I find this hobby to be, I plan to be involved with numismatics for a very long time yet to come and am grateful for what I have already learned.

6.) YN Age 14

My name is Joe as the people that I have traded, bought, and sold with know. I am fourteen years old as no one on this forum knows because my dad told me to keep my age confidential. I am attracted to the hobby of numismatics like everyone else on this great forum. The first time I saw olds coins was when I was seven and my dad showed me the coins he had under his bed from his grandfather. I looked at them and liked them very much, but it was not until I was ten that I really took interest.

When I was ten my dad gave me the coins and I discovered that in those coins were many different types of coins. I was very interested in sorting them out and looking at the ones that had the real old crusty look. I was very thankful that my great-grandfather had saved these and no one had sold them. My aunt then when she knew I had an interest in collecting gave me her box of coins which had a 1900 Lafayette Dollar in the inside which I really liked and is now one of my favorite coins.

I went to my first coin shop then when I was ten and purchased a bunch of foreign coins that were 10 and 20 cents a piece trying to get every country. I then realized that I did like foreign coins but the US coins were more interesting to me because I like to learn about the history of our country. My grandmother then one day took me to the bank to get a couple of rolls of coins and in the roll of coins I found several wheat pennies where one of them was a 1931-S. When I looked in my Redbook that I had just purchased I realized this was an $80 coin at the time.

At that point, after learning so much history in that year, finding that Lincoln cent, starting the State Quarter album, and getting the coins that my great-grandfather had, I was hooked to coin-collecting. It has been four years since I have started collecting and since then I have learned more about the United States, more about the economy through reading posts on the coin forum, and have a good grasp of how to grade coins with my dealers help and looking at grades that people assign on this forum. I am currently working on a Dansco 7070 set.

My favorite coins are old Commeratives, Morgan Dollars, and Bust Coinage although I have very few of the bust coinage. I think the state quarter program and presidential dollars will really draw more youth like me into coin-collecting if they are interested in history.

I am attracted to numismatics for the following reasons: learning history, the feeling of completing a set, the old and new look of coins, meeting new people, and seeing some really neat pieces. My two favorite things about my coin collection are my Wheat Cent I found with my grandmother (the look on her face when she realized what it is worth) and the fact that I have my great-grandfather's coins that I never met.

Thank you for the chance of winning this contest thanks to the very generous forum members. The months that I have been on this coin forum have been informative helping me learn and exciting at the same time with some of the jokes When I looked at all the coins that forum members donated I was very shocked of the generosity. I hope some day when I am older that I can do a contest like this and give things to a couple of kids to build their collection.

7.) YN Age 15

My Dad had been a coin collector when he was my age. He had an old tin of coins that I remember sorting through when I was little. On my thirteenth birthday my Dad got me a one ounce Gold Eagle coin of my own and I was hooked. At that time, gold was $580 an ounce and rising every day. The idea of collecting something that was rising in value was exciting. I would check the price of gold and silver every day. Soon after, I got my first Red Book and started to learn the value of numismatics.

I spent hours reading about coins and learning everything I could. The history of coins is amazing. Just holding an old worn coin in your hand, you can imagine where it has been, who it has been with, and what a journey that coin has been through.

I became especially interested in Peace Dollars and I began to put together my first coin set. It was a tough set for me to complete, but the thrill of the hunt was worth every moment. I spent many weekends washing cars to make money to pay for my purchases, many Saturday afternoons riding my bike to the coin store to search through their stock and I learned many tough e-bay buying lessons. To finish this set I got my mom to drive me an hour and a half to the Long Beach Coin Show to find one particular coin; a 1928 P Peace Dollar in G-4 grade. None of my local coin stores had anything in that grade. I’m happy to say I found my coin and got a great deal to boot.

On my fifteenth birthday my Dad surprised me by giving me his coin collection, complete with the old tin box. Those coins in that old tin box are one of my favorite parts of my collection.

8.) YN Age 17

About eight years ago, my grandmother sent me a package. I rarely recall getting much of anything in the mail back then, so I was definitely excited. My mom helped me open it, and the contents turned out to be a Harris state quarter folder with one Delaware quarter placed in it. That sparked my interest in collecting coins. Now, all I can say is that the rest is history!

Soon afterwards, my parents took be to our local coin shop, Madison County Coins. The man who owned the store was patient, friendly, talkative, and always helpful. I honestly believe he was responsible for getting me seriously involved in numismatists. He was the example of how all coin dealers should be. I bought my first Redbook as well as my first professionally graded coin from him. Also, every time I went there, I bought a different date raw uncirculated Franklin half dollar; I still have all those coins in a Dansco album—which I plan on keeping indefinitely. Unfortunately, he had to close his shop when health issues got the better of him. I will never forget how helpful and encouraging he was to me.

I also remember my dad and my brother going to coin shows on Sundays. Those were great times. We would miss church (to my mom’s dismay) and try to get to the show early. My brother and I mainly hunted through the bargain bins while my dad always bought a few circulated Indian head cents. After the show, we would go out to eat somewhere and show each other what we bought. It was great “father-sons” time. Even with the internet today, I still enjoy going to coin shows. The internet just does not provide you with the same atmosphere and excitement that a coin show offers.

Fast forward to 2006, and my dad and I got involved with Ebay. That was also the year the 2006 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Sets came out from the mint. After reading PCGS members’ thoughts, I decided to buy multiples. That gave me a nice profit. Soon, I began not only buying coins but also selling many coins. That basically became my summer job. I always wanted to have my own “business” and numismatists finally gave me this great opportunity. I have learned a lot from buying and selling coins that I have applied and will be able to apply in the future.

After taking AP American History, I appreciate coins for their historical value. I think it is amazing to think that a 1920s mercury dime could have been used by someone during the Great Depression, handled by FDR, and even spent by a returning soldier from WWII. To me, that is amazing. I think it is neat how one can use coins to learn about our nation’s great history. Coins and history go hand and hand. I love buying circulated walkers and mercury dimes for that reason and because of their great design. My knowledge of numismatists gave me a better understanding of the class and vice versa. Coin collecting has really spurred my interest in history.

All and all, coin collecting has positively influenced me. I have learned a great deal and met many great people. I think numismatists has a great future ahead of itself. Of course like everything else, numismatists is dynamic. We have seen lots of change in coin collecting just recently with the price of precious metals affecting coins among other things. The changes will be embraced by some and rejected by others. However, I plan to stay with coin collecting into the future. It is such an enjoyable and exciting hobby!

Oh! I still have that Harris state quarter folder. Did I mention it is now completely filled! While it may not be worth a lot of money, its sentimental value to me is priceless. I will always remember by grandmother by it!

9.) YN Age 17

In the dictionary, numismatics is impassively defined as "the study and collection of coins, tokens, paper money, and related objects". To me, though, it means so much more. In the past several years, numismatics has been a major focus in my life. Ever since my interest was piqued by my father's small mercury dime collection, I have immersed myself in the study of the hobby that I love. Where some people take pleasure from holding a cell phone, I take pleasure from holding a coin. I carry coins with me everywhere, though their identities vary with the day. Some days I will carry a large Morgan dollar, others a small disk of gold, and still others I carry something as small as a half dime or as intriguing as an early half cent. There is always a coin in my pocket for when I desire to hold and touch that little piece of history, or when I would like to show others in an attempt to introduce them to a hobby that I have gained so much happiness from. In this way I am able to be constantly associated with my favorite pastime, however far I am from my collection.

Though I was introduced to numismatics in the typical fashion, the time that I have spent since then is far from typical. Numismatics is not a hobby that is generally associated with people my age. As a result, many budding numismatists have been driven away from coins after only a short period of time because of a negative experience. Many younger people are discouraged by those dealers who disregard them in favor of other, seemingly more profitable, customers, or those dealers who take advantage of their inexperience for their own monetary gain. I have not been exempted from this initiation, but I have persevered through the steep learning curve, seeking refuge in online communities such as this fine one put forth by PCGS, and its counterpart maintained by NGC. I have received advice that I would have been able to ascertain nowhere else, and this has helped me to define and refine my collecting pursuits. I have taken these poor experiences gathered early on and, instead of letting them destroy my love for numismatics, I focused them into a drive for knowledge and success in my numismatic goals.

As I have progressed deeper and deeper into this hobby, I have found that I am not only learning a great deal, but my general character has evolved as well. In order to build a stellar collection, a vast amount of patience and self discipline is required. I, like most collectors, started by purchasing any coin that struck my fancy. Several months later, to my dismay, I found myself to have a grouping of coins; sharing no common qualities other than they had all appealed to me in one way or another. Ever since this moment of revelation, which was greatly encouraged by my online numismatic mentors, a desire has manifested itself in me; a desire to create an efficient, streamlined collection. In this way I am able to stretch my limited budget to its maximum effectiveness, to build the very best collection that I can muster. This required self discipline and patience, coupled with the plethora of historical and economic information that I ascertain daily, have made numismatics a very constructive and worthwhile pursuit for me.

Numismatics is a vast community, its members intertwined through a common enjoyment; an enjoyment that dictates a way of life. I am honored to be able to consider myself a member of this intricate community, who will be able to educate and encourage those who are new to it, as I once was. I look forward to being able to perpetuate its existence far into the future, and assist a new generation of collectors on their journey. Numismatics has been a large part of my life in the past few years, and I hope to be able to lead others to enjoy it as immensely as I have.

10.) YN Age 15

When I tell people that I am a Numismatic, their reaction usually goes as follows. It starts with their face dropping from upon their face, preceded by a dull, blank stare of incompetence. This is usually the part where I spare them any embarrassment and explain that a Numismatic is a coin collector.

I first embarked in the world of Numismatics by shear luck. I was at the homepage of eBay and saw a picture of a Wisconsin state quarter with a heading about some rare error. I clicked the link and pictures of old, intricate looking coins that I’ve never seen before came up. I was immediately entranced by the designs of these coins.

Until this point in my life I had never been the collector type, although my dad had always been. I embarked on my crusade of all these tantalizing EBay auctions. I clicked on one that tickled my fancy. It was titled “Huge Lot of Old Rare Coins.” I reviewed the images of these atypical coins and I was astonished at the inner beauty that the held.

I’ve always loved history, especially the Civil War, and I always wished that I could have lived during those times when everything ran at a much more austere pace. For some reason, collecting coins makes me feel like I was part of those time periods. The designs, numbers and people on the coins remind me of the ornate objects I’ve seen in pictures of hundreds of years ago.

Sometimes I become ecstatic when I see a beautiful coin and sometimes coins provide a peaceful bliss after a long day at school.

My collecting interest peaked when I learned that my great grandpa had put together a modest coin collection. Most of the coins were accumulated from his work in a Queens’s deli a long time ago. The album was very old and falling apart. Each coin was placed into hand cut out cards. I realized how much time and effort was put into this album and those coins reside in my own personal collection, never to be sold.

Now that I have been collecting coins for about a year and half, I feel like a smarter, more intellectual person. I’ve learned so much from coin collecting, like how the economy works, investing in commodities and many other pieces of precious information. Most of this information has come straight from people that I’ve never met before, on this board. I find that I’ve became a much more intellectual person and sometimes I find myself explaining things to kids my age like why the American dollar is almost worthless and that coins used to be made of precious metals.

I feel that being involved with Numismatics has broadened my choices for a career after college. When I was younger I always wanted to be a doctor, because my parents said I could have a big house and fancy cars, but Numismatics has opened me up to more money oriented and fulfilling trades like investing and the stock market.

Without PCGS board and the people on it, I don’t think that I could have been involved with Numismatics as long as I have been because there are so many great knowledgeable and generous people here. I’m pretty sure that the people involved in Numismatics are some of the most generous people there are. I mean, who else would give away money to kids in the hopes that they will uphold the hobby? This is why I love Numismatics.

Unlike others I am not seeking riches in collecting coins. I do not have thousand dollar pieces, gold coins or 19th century proof coinage. I also do not have the funds to gamble with new Mint products. I am a Numismatic merely for my own enjoyment and contentment.

11.) YN Age 17

What do I like about collecting coins? While it’s hard to really answer a question as complex as this, I guess it all really boils down to the fact that every coin tells a story, an entirely unique one at that. For starters coins are one of our best historical reference points. Everything about a coin from its metal composition to its design has something to say about the time period in which it was minted. ’43 pennies tell us about the war material conservation effort on the home front during WWII. The image of George Washington emblazed on our quarter reminds us of our duty to remain true to the ideals of our forefathers. The list simply goes on and on. Coins are truly a part of the American legacy and a testament to our achievements.

One can also not ignore the simple beauty of coins. Often as coins age naturally they begin to tone and take on characteristics of their life whether it is in general circulation or the private hands of collectors. There is just something about certain coins that just catches your eye, when you see it you become entranced and obsessed with its glow.

My introduction into the world of numismatics was an interesting one. I was but a wee eight years old on vacation in Maine catching some summer sun with my family. As it was a hot day I ran to the ice cream truck to get a treat to cool myself. In the change I received a coin I had never seen before. It was odd, larger and heavier than a quarter with a design I had never seen before. I was intrigued, so much so that I ran back to the beach house my mother had rented and asked her what it was. She informed me that it was a 1954 Franklin half dollar, in very good condition as well. I still have that half dollar tucked safely away in an album of mine. Every so often I pull out that coin and just gaze at it. In someway odd way it provides a sense of comfort for me, it takes me back to a simpler time when I was just a kid. Coming from a family with no collectors this truly was the catalyst for my obsession with coins and in particular the Franklin half dollar series.

As I grew older I only began to appreciate the beauty and complexity of coins more and more. It’s a hobby that I hope to remain with me for the rest of my life. I truly cannot simply define what I like most about collecting coins. Maybe I just like the way they look.

12.) YN Age 10

I collect quarters and newer dollar coins. My dad has always collected coins, so I got interested in it. I even found out my great-great grandfather was the president of the Framingham, MA, Coin Society!

I collect state quarters and presidential dollars for a couple of reasons. One, they are really easy to get. I look at all the change I get to see if there is anything special. If the quarters are new and shiny (2007 or 2008) or older and not too beat up, I keep them. I have a special album that I carefully put them in so they stay safe.

The second reason is the state designs. My favorites are the ones with animals. I like the animal ones because I'm a BIG animal lover. I specially like the one with the running horses ( Nevada ). I have a whole roll of them to save when I am older! I was surprised to see all the countries that use animals on their coins!

I began collecting new president dollar coins because my dad gives me a new one when I'm good. Right now I have the first 6 presidents! I like learning facts about the presidents and the important things they did.

Finally, I like collecting coins because I get to spend more time with my dad. He loves to fill me in on cool facts, show me all the awesome coins he has, and I think he's happy to have someone to share his hobby with. And I love listening to his stories. He collects the big silver Morgan dollars, and he tells me things that happened when they were made and how they were used in the Wild West.

13.) YN Age 14

Almost 6 years ago, when I was nine years old, I got interested in numismaics because of my Dad. On the 4th of July 2002 my Dad saw a YN giveaway on the US Coin Forum. He thought it would be fun if I entered, and it could be a fun hobby he and I could do together.

To enter the giveaway I had to write about what coins could teach us about history and America. In my essay I wrote about my favorite television show at the time, called Liberty's Kid's. (I watched it a lot because I knew the lady who directed all the voices on the show) It was a cartoon series about the American Revolution. I wrote about how that show taught me about "Liberty" and how it is always represented on our coins either in an image or in words.

I also wrote about how coins are literally a small piece of history, and when I hold an old coin I never know who has held it before me. After I mailed that essay, I forgot all about it, until about a month later I got this huge box in the mail. It was full of coins, coin tubes, loupes, coin albums, books, etc. Everything a kid would need to become a young numismatist. I was hooked!

From that one essay and a YN giveaway on this forum, when I was a little kid, the entire world of numismatics has opened up to me. I haved learned so much about coins, the science of numismatics and the hobby of collecting coins. I have met a lot of people and made some great friends. I know so many nice people who are dealers, rare coin collectors, vice presidents, presidents of numismatic organizations, authors and many more. I have written articles and have had them published. I have received awards, traveled to conventions, and joined local, regional and national clubs. Sometimes, it seems like I learn something new everyday.

From entering that simple giveaway, a world of opportunity has opened to me and maybe, a lifetime of learning and enjoyment in this great hobby. I can't imagine a day when coins and the friends I've made won't be a part of my life.

14.) YN Age 11

My name is Paige, I am 11 years old and live in Illinois just outside Chicago. I started collecting coins when my Dad started putting together a state quarter set for me and I have been hooked ever since. I know my Dad uses his coins as a way to relax, but everytime he has a few out I am over his shoulder asking about each one. I find it really interesting when he finds a cool rare coin and gets it really cheap.

What I like about coins is the history with each one. MY Dad tells me a story about each year we are looking at, like in 1893 with the worlds fair. I love that these coins look so good after 50 or more years. Since I was really little I wanted to be a nurse, but now I'm into coins and hope to be in that job one day. Coins are so interesting to me and hope to be a great collecter some day.

Thank you for the entry and I hope to be a good member.

15.) YN Age 15

According to my trusty dictionary, numismatics is defined as the study or collecting of coins, medals, and paper money. For me, that definition only barely scratches the surface of what numismatics is truly about. There is just no way to describe the joys and thrills involved in what is commonly regarded as a very tame, boring hobby. Many times the journey of finding that perfect coin is even more fun than finally acquiring the coin itself. The fun does not stop when I finally get a cool coin, however, because of the great history lesson that inevitably ensues. My favorite thing about numismatics is the journey that you go on every time you search for a special coin, from studying auction archives to reading history books and wondering who may have handled that specific coin.

I remember always being interested in American history, especially when I was in elementary school. Since I didn’t have a lot of homework, I would go home everyday and read this massive American history book that my parents bought me. There are several things I remember very clearly from that book, including my fascination with the fluctuations in the economy due to significant events in history. Even today, I remember random factoids from my readings as a bored nine year-old. I can still recall specific time periods in our history when corn was so cheap that it was more cost-efficient for farmers to burn the corn as fuel instead of shipping it.

This interest in history probably was the main culprit in sparking my interest in numismatics. While part of the fun in coin collecting is actually acquiring the coins, another big part of what makes it such a fun hobby is its direct link to previous economical and historical events in America’s past. Whenever I acquire a coin and research its history, I always learn something new, whether about America’s economy, the minting process, or significant events in history. Through just one coin, my first bust half dollar, I learned all about the engraver John Reich, the 1816 fire at the mint, and minting techniques of the early Philadelphia mint.

Every time I target an expensive coin on my really long want list, I compulsively check every auction archive and price guide out there. Even though those prices just let me get a ballpark idea and rarely help me decide whether or not to purchase a coin, I find it a lot of fun to sift through years of archives and dream about buying coins at those prices today. All the research in the world, however, can’t prepare you for the trembling and shaking that your hands experience as they hand over enormous amounts of money for a nice coin. While I have experienced unwanted sticker shock many times, holding the coin that just cost me months of labor has a way of making things better.

There is something extremely satisfying about finding that final perfect coin that you’ve been searching for that cannot be fully expressed through words. I remember searching for a perfect 1817/3 half dollar for the longest time, almost giving up and succumbing to the pull of a lesser example just to plug that hole. However, just as I was going to buy a not-as-original piece, I went to a coin show and at the first table I sat down at I saw my perfect coin. Call it divine intervention or just a payoff for being patient, but experiences like these have a habit of making my day.

Whether it’s making my palms sweat bidding on a coin online, making my heart pound while striking a deal on the bourse floor or keeping me up late at night reading coin books, numismatics has always managed to keep me hooked. While I’ve definitely learned a lot about American history, numismatics has also taught me some valuable life lessons. If the best way to learn is through experience, then I’ve certainly got plenty of experience through my adventures in coin collecting. I’ve learned about perseverance and self-restraint when searching for that perfect coin, as well as the need to be able to pull the trigger when that coin does appear. Above all, as one of my friends says, coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over.

16.) YN Age 10

Hi! I am 10 years old and love coin collecting. I like collecting because it is fun. I collect walking liberty halfs, lincoln cents, and eye appealing coins.

Here are some reasons why I like coin collecting. First, I like going to coin shows and seeing all the cool coins and missing school (haha). When I go I usually stop by the following: Julian Liedman, Eagle eye, Kagins, Wayne Herndon, the broken cc dealer, and Pinnacle.

Second, I like going with my dad (claychaser),I also like going to the auctions to see what the coins go for. Third, I like to learn a lot about the coin's history.

Every time I go I learn more and more about the history about coins. I was attracted to collecting when I started a Lincoln cent dansco when I was 8.

I also have "made" two coins, a 1853 o arrows and rays half dollar pcgs graded po01 and a 1964 Kennedy half dollar in PCGS po01. I sold them for 200 and 225 dollars each.

I sold the 1853 to anaconda for 225 dollars. Its now in the Heritage auction with a CAC sticker. How do you get a CAC sticker on a po01?

My dad sold the 1964 on the chat board for 200 dollars:

I also like early American coins and gold coins. At the last coin show I bought a 1799 bust dollar from Jim McGuigan
    and then a 1837 no stars dime pcgs graded Vf 20. Sorry, no pics. of these coins. I want to continue collecting because it is very fun.

17.) YN Age 14

Hi, my name is Chris. I am 14 years old and have lurked on the boards for about a year now and this contest has finally gotten me to make an account and post. The ability to pull something from change that is worth more than face value is what originally attracted me to the hobby of numismatics. I began by looking through my parents change from everyday purchases and eventually began obtaining rolls of coins from the bank to search. Currently I search Halves and nickels. Fortunately for me as well my Grandfather left me a rather large collection of coins. What really got me into the hobby was when I went to the Whitman Baltimore Conventions. Just walking around and seeing all the different coins was overwhelming. Unfortunately there are not any good BM shops near me so I’m stuck purchasing coins from local auctions, EBay, and when I go to the Baltimore Conventions.
    When I seriously got into the hobby about a year ago I read the message boards and took heed to the advice to buy the books before the coins. Most of what I buy is junk silver. I am surprised at some of the coins you can still get for melt. Such as I have gotten cleaned seated quarters for melt at the Baltimore convention and UNC Morgan dollars at local auctions. I always like to think of who could have used these coins. It could have been a Civil war soldier or a prospector out west in California. I think you lose some of this touch of history though when you buy uncirculated coins that are worth so much more. I really enjoy looking through the catalogues stacks auctions house sends me. Hopefully one day I can buy some of the coins I see in the catalogues.

I would like to thank all of the forum members for their generous donations in this event.

18.) YN Age 14

The first time I remember being interested in coins was when I was only 6 years old and the state quarter program had just started but my dad tells me that I used to draw coins and dollar bills on the computer when I was only 4. I saved all the quarters from each state that I would get in change but the first coins I remember buying were a Franklin Half and a Mercury Dime that I saw sitting out on a stand next to a small village in rural Georgia. They seemed so different from the ordinary change I was used to seeing that they just really caught my eye. When I came home I remember showing my dad the coins and they reminded him of how he used to collect coins as a kid too. It got him interested in coin collecting again and we have been a team ever since. We just started a Dansco 7070 type set together in March and we are more than half way through it already. He says it will be mine when we finish it.

Later I found a website named coast to coast coins and I bought a few coins from them but I have since found out that they have all been harshly cleaned. Because of that, I’ve learned to spot cleaned or dipped coins and I don’t think I’ve bought a cleaned coin since then. (I hope…lol). It’s hard to say why I love coins and coin collecting so much but I just love the look and feel of them…. they are so different.

Right now I’m learning how to grade coins from a coin dealer named Mr. Jerry Green the owner of Greens Rare Coins whose shop is right next to my mothers office. In about a year or so he says that he will give me a job at his store learning to sell and buy coins from customers. I want to take a course in coin grading soon when a coin show comes to Atlanta.

My favorite coin in my collection is a PCGS MS65 1882 Shield Nickel. My next two favorites are my gold eagles, an Indian head and a Liberty head. Since I’m from Georgia, Dahlonega gold is my favorite but I think it will be a long time before I can afford one of those. My long term goal right now is to some day own a Draped Bust Dollar and I know that some day I will.

Thank you for the awesome opportunity to enter this contest. I am including pictures of my 7070 Type set, please excuse me for the poor pictures, I am still learning how to take good ones.

19.) YN Age 16

My family comes from at least three generations of coin collectors in a row, with myself being the third. My grandfather, who never really influences me that much, collected mainly Israeli coins. My father after him collected, completely oblivious to me, Capped Bust Half Dollars. I can remember as far back as 2nd grade seeing these pieces, and i was amazed by them. They were a raw set, but there were many original XF to AU coins. Then he approached me about collecting, and at 8 years old, a PCGS 1991 S Kennedy Half in PR 69 DCAM became the first coin in my collection. I never asked myself why I collected halves, and I suppose its because thats what my father did, hence like father like son. I began to get books such as the Redbook annually, and read up on halves as much as possible, including weight, values, etc. When the CoinWorld came in the mail, I would read half dollar articles. This caused me to read Found In Rolls, which started my roll searchings, and of course, I searched through half dollars. By the time I was about 11, my father sold his set on Heritage and started a peace dollar set. This of course caused me to start looking at other series of coins. I read up on all series which interested me, and bought several other books, including Rick Tomaska's proof coinage books. But, by age 12, the regular stuff got boring to me. I found myself reading the same material over and over. My interest was briefly rekindled when I bought a Judd book, but for a 13 year old, many of these patterns seemed quite out of reach. Then, at a local Cleveland show, I had heard about a rare 1923 peace dollar in which the o of dollar looked like a backwards Q. The dealer who told me this offered me $400 for every one I found. I didn't find one that show, but something better happened. Orv Detrick at Roma Coins knew what I was doing, and basically made me buy a Top 100 VAM book. Suddenly, there was the prospect of free money, which added to a want for more knowledge, kept me going on VAMs. I quickly bought any VAM or variety book possible, and tried to memorize anything i possibly could. The results were astounding. At 15, I was going through bank wrapped cents pulling out 1984 Double Ears and other errors, as well as going to shows and picking Morgan/Peace Dollar varieties. Then, last October, those first faithful words about that 1923 peace dollar with the backwards Q caused me to look for that basically impossible variety. But, upon my amazement, I found a full late die state in BU, and paid $20 for it. I was physically shaken when paying. I sent the coin to my boss to be slabbed (I worked at Cameo CC in Ohio at the time as their chief grader/attributer) and it came back with the incredible grade of MS 63 by NGC. I, a mere 15 year old new to varieties, had picked a population 2 coin with one higher at NGC worth $3200 for $20. After that, I knew I was at the point of no return. Now, at 16, I am basically addicting to varieties, but still have a love for the regular US coinage. I hope to be the youngest person ever to discover a VAM, and I believe I may have as I recently sent a package to Mr. Van Allen. I am able to hold conversations with the guys who wrote the books that I love reading, and my knowledge grows daily. In conclusion, it seems I owe a great amount of gratitude to several people, including by father, Orv at Roma Coins, and my grandfather for influening my father to collect.

20.) YN Age 15

I remember when I was younger I would do just about anything for a dollar. Money as a concept was mystifying to me. I remember asking my parents why they went to work everyday, the answer was simple - to get money. Money seemed incredibly powerful, after all it had to be for it to cause my parents to leave me every day.

In my short lifetime I had never seen money change. A penny always looked like a penny, a dollar always looked like a dollar. This idea was shaken when I found a penny that did not look like all the others - it was a wheat cent. A penny that did not look like all the others was mind boggling. It was like someone showing me a square circle or a purple sky!

I had taken that wheat cent and I placed it on my window sill, where it remained for some time. To be honest I had forgotten the cent after a few days, and went back to my typical childhood activities. My interest in 'old money' was revived one day on a trip to the local shopping mall with my family. While on the way back to the car there was a rather small stand in the corner, as I approached I saw something quite extraordinary. From a distance, it seemed as if someone was selling, or at least trying to sell cents, nickels and dimes stuck between pieces of cardboard (2x2's). As I was looking at the coins behind the glass I did not really know what to think. I was not even sure that they were coins until I saw what looked like a buffalo standing on the words 'Five Cents'. I had heard of buffalo nickels on the playground but had never seen one. They were alledgedly extremely rare and "worth lots of money". Having only heard of them previously, seeing more than 10 at once was a bit overwhelming. While looking at the other coins this seller had: mercury dimes, indian cents, some SLQ's and others it dawned on me that money was not unchanging.

It is a bit hard to explain, but this is where my appreciation of numismatics really began. Having with my early-age awe and appreciation of both the concept and the power of money, seeing something money from so long ago was like finding ancient treasure. These coins had a very real value, I would wonder who held these coins and these coins were spent on; buying a horse? buying a slave? To me, numismatics changed my perception of history from a boring collaboration of old stories, to what I can really only call an alternate universe. A living, breathing past universe that is quite different than what I knew.

What I like about the hobby is that it cultivates intelligent discussion and conversation (something that as a high school student I don't get all too much of). I have met many great, smart people who I have never known had I not been into numismatics, especially at the ANA's Summer Seminar.

I am also thankful for the opportunities Numismatics has provided for me personally. I have gained financial freedom doing something I enjoy (investing in and selling Coins and Paper Money). I have learned to enjoy research through the exhibits I have created and talks I have given on various subjects, which has helped my grades in school greatly. Additionally, the ANA offers awards for papers, articles, and exhibits, as well as scholarships to Summer Seminar. Having been a few of these awards I am sure that they will help me greatly when it comes time for me to apply for college, which in turn I believe will open even more doors for me. Overall, my interest in the hobby has helped me to gain many skills essential to school and other aspects of my life, as well as setting me up for hopefully a greater quality of life.

Besides everything else I have mentioned I really love the coins themselves. I feel that collecting American coins is in away keeping the American dream alive. Past generations came to America in search for a better life, of which money is a large part. I feel that we as Numismatists must keep and appreciate the coins which past generations worked so hard to earn - a service I am more than happy to provide.

21.) YN Age 12

Coins are interesting and fascinating and this is why I think so. Well, to start, they are so interesting and each one has their own story. Some are cool to posses and many are cool to admire.
    There are so many reasons that coins are expensive. One reason is that they are really rare. Another is they’re they are so fun to collect. My favorite one to look at is the cameo coins because they have a special reflection, it kind of makes it a blurry scene, but I like that about them. That is why I think they are expensive. Other than what it looks like the cameo coins are my favorite because any coin can be cameo. So far I have seen a penny, dime and a half dollar that is cameo. I actually own the dime and the half dollar that is cameo. That is my favorite type of coin and why.
    Coins are interesting enough to have collections of them. I know that some people collect them. My grandfather on my dad’s side was a coin collector. Also my grandmother on my mom’s side is a state quarter collector. So I think I have this mixed in my blood. I’d like to thank Teddy Kidwell for bringing this talent to attention. I enjoy coin collecting, and hope to keep doing it.
    One coin I have always wanted to find was a 1992 wide AM. To find one of these by myself would be one of the greatest things that happened to me in my life. Maybe even to have one in my collection could happen someday.
    There is an art to collecting coins, and some people have it, while others don’t. I would like to keep collecting since it is in my blood, and I enjoy doing it very much. There are very rare coins in the world, but some are more fascinating than others. That is what makes coin collecting so amazing. Thank you for your time.

22.) YN Age 15

My name is Dylan and I started collecting coins a couple of years ago when my father got me interested in them. My dad has also sold me most of the coins I have. Coins interest me because they are pieces of art and they represent something. I especially like older coins because they are a piece of history and are something that most people don’t have. For me collecting coins is a fun hobby. I like the old 50 cent commemoratives. I have couple of them one is the San Francisco commemorative. I also like the 2006 w platinum American eagle because they have a different reverse than the others and they have a low mintage.
  • Options
    it is valid as the moderators have to approve her...she signed up way before the dead line...you did get her essay right?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    That is way too much to read image
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    Zach
  • Options
    good idea ^
    Heres mine, easier to read

When I tell people that I am a Numismatic, their reaction usually goes as follows. It starts with their face dropping from upon their face, preceded by a dull, blank stare of incompetence. This is usually the part where I spare them any embarrassment and explain that a Numismatic is a coin collector.

I first embarked in the world of Numismatics by shear luck. I was at the homepage of eBay and saw a picture of a Wisconsin state quarter with a heading about some rare error. I clicked the link and pictures of old, intricate looking coins that I’ve never seen before came up. I was immediately entranced by the designs of these coins.

Until this point in my life I had never been the collector type, although my dad had always been. I embarked on my crusade of all these tantalizing EBay auctions. I clicked on one that tickled my fancy. It was titled “Huge Lot of Old Rare Coins.” I reviewed the images of these atypical coins and I was astonished at the inner beauty that the held.

I’ve always loved history, especially the Civil War, and I always wished that I could have lived during those times when everything ran at a much more austere pace. For some reason, collecting coins makes me feel like I was part of those time periods. The designs, numbers and people on the coins remind me of the ornate objects I’ve seen in pictures of hundreds of years ago.

Sometimes I become ecstatic when I see a beautiful coin and sometimes coins provide a peaceful bliss after a long day at school.

My collecting interest peaked when I learned that my great grandpa had put together a modest coin collection. Most of the coins were accumulated from his work in a Queens’s deli a long time ago. The album was very old and falling apart. Each coin was placed into hand cut out cards. I realized how much time and effort was put into this album and those coins reside in my own personal collection, never to be sold.

Now that I have been collecting coins for about a year and half, I feel like a smarter, more intellectual person. I’ve learned so much from coin collecting, like how the economy works, investing in commodities and many other pieces of precious information. Most of this information has come straight from people that I’ve never met before, on this board. I find that I’ve became a much more intellectual person and sometimes I find myself explaining things to kids my age like why the American dollar is almost worthless and that coins used to be made of precious metals.

I feel that being involved with Numismatics has broadened my choices for a career after college. When I was younger I always wanted to be a doctor, because my parents said I could have a big house and fancy cars, but Numismatics has opened me up to more money oriented and fulfilling trades like investing and the stock market.

Without PCGS board and the people on it, I don’t think that I could have been involved with Numismatics as long as I have been because there are so many great knowledgeable and generous people here. I’m pretty sure that the people involved in Numismatics are some of the most generous people there are. I mean, who else would give away money to kids in the hopes that they will uphold the hobby? This is why I love Numismatics.

Unlike others I am not seeking riches in collecting coins. I do not have thousand dollar pieces, gold coins or 19th century proof coinage. I also do not have the funds to gamble with new Mint products. I am a Numismatic merely for my own enjoyment and contentment.
  • Options
  • Options
    CgbCgb Posts: 710
    Edited as per request.
  • Options
    Mine too image
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorry, hit enter too soon image

P.S. My birthday is next sunday, June 8th, and this would be the best birthday present ever image

**Edited to remove essay.
  • Options
    did you even submit one originaly cgb?
  • Options

<< <i>did you even submit one originaly cgb? >>

I was wondering the same thing image
  • Options
    Why don't we make another thread for *just* essays? This thread has had a good run, IMO.
  • Options

<< <i>Why don't we make another thread for *just* essays? This thread has had a good run, IMO. >>

• Options
    CgbCgb Posts: 710

<< <i>

I was wondering the same thing image >>

I did. I sent Broadstruck a PM with my essay at around 8:50 PM. I had written up the essay in MS-Word but had forgotten to send it in. I have been so busy studying for Finals and other exams it had slipped my mind to send it in until the last minute.

I hope I'm not ruffling any feathers here. I just want to throw my essay into the pot with everyone else.
  • Options
    Cgb is OK his Entry came through at 8:53PM and was an oversight as I had 35 PM's! image
  • Options
    Hi, my name is Chris. I am 14 years old and have lurked on the boards for about a year now and this contest has finally gotten me to make an account and post. The ability to pull something from change that is worth more than face value is what originally attracted me to the hobby of numismatics. I began by looking through my parents change from everyday purchases and eventually began obtaining rolls of coins from the bank to search. Currently I search Halves and nickels. Fortunately for me as well my Grandfather left me a rather large collection of coins. What really got me into the hobby was when I went to the Whitman Baltimore Conventions. Just walking around and seeing all the different coins was overwhelming. Unfortunately there are not any good BM shops near me so I’m stuck purchasing coins from local auctions, EBay, and when I go to the Baltimore Conventions.
    When I seriously got into the hobby about a year ago I read the message boards and took heed to the advice to buy the books before the coins. Most of what I buy is junk silver. I am surprised at some of the coins you can still get for melt. Such as I have gotten cleaned seated quarters for melt at the Baltimore convention and UNC Morgan dollars at local auctions. I always like to think of who could have used these coins. It could have been a Civil war soldier or a prospector out west in California. I think you lose some of this touch of history though when you buy uncirculated coins that are worth so much more. I really enjoy looking through the catalogues stacks auctions house sends me. Hopefully one day I can buy some of the coins I see in the catalogues.

I would like to thank all of the forum members for their generous donations in this event.

Since Everyone else is doing it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I was wondering the same thing image >>

I did. I sent Broadstruck a PM with my essay at around 8:50 PM. I had written up the essay in MS-Word but had forgotten to send it in. I have been so busy studying for Finals and other exams it had slipped my mind to send it in until the last minute.

I hope I'm not ruffling any feathers here. I just want to throw my essay into the pot with everyone else. >>

No problem here. I was just curious.

I know the feeling of things slipping your mind while worrying about finals.

I kept pressuring myself to turn it in so that I wouldn't forget to.
  • Options
    Well I guess since everyone else is doing it heres my entry in an easier to read format.

miktau YN Age 17

What do I like about collecting coins? While it’s hard to really answer a question as complex as this, I guess it all really boils down to the fact that every coin tells a story, an entirely unique one at that. For starters coins are one of our best historical reference points. Everything about a coin from its metal composition to its design has something to say about the time period in which it was minted. ’43 pennies tell us about the war material conservation effort on the home front during WWII. The image of George Washington emblazed on our quarter reminds us of our duty to remain true to the ideals of our forefathers. The list simply goes on and on. Coins are truly a part of the American legacy and a testament to our achievements.

One can also not ignore the simple beauty of coins. Often as coins age naturally they begin to tone and take on characteristics of their life whether it is in general circulation or the private hands of collectors. There is just something about certain coins that just catches your eye, when you see it you become entranced and obsessed with its glow.

My introduction into the world of numismatics was an interesting one. I was but a wee eight years old on vacation in Maine catching some summer sun with my family. As it was a hot day I ran to the ice cream truck to get a treat to cool myself. In the change I received a coin I had never seen before. It was odd, larger and heavier than a quarter with a design I had never seen before. I was intrigued, so much so that I ran back to the beach house my mother had rented and asked her what it was. She informed me that it was a 1954 Franklin half dollar, in very good condition as well. I still have that half dollar tucked safely away in an album of mine. Every so often I pull out that coin and just gaze at it. In someway odd way it provides a sense of comfort for me, it takes me back to a simpler time when I was just a kid. Coming from a family with no collectors this truly was the catalyst for my obsession with coins and in particular the Franklin half dollar series.

As I grew older I only began to appreciate the beauty and complexity of coins more and more. It’s a hobby that I hope to remain with me for the rest of my life. I truly cannot simply define what I like most about collecting coins. Maybe I just like the way they look.

cheers,
    Mike
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    There are alot of YN's that must be honor students in school. Because my 11yr old and 16yr old could not write an
    essay as well as most of these. Of course they do make the ocassional B in English image

Well educated and most make my collection look like chump change...image

Well good luck to all of you. I only wish I had the compassion you all have at such a young age..
    I only hope my gift to the winner is worthy...image

James
  • Options
    YES I know that some of your paragraphs collapsed when I posted all the essays in one huge thread post.

Had Y'all given me a minute or two to re-edit prior to posting all your own essays I would have corrected it all! imageimage
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>YES I know that some of your paragraphs collapsed when I posted all the essays in one huge thread post. Had Y'all given me a minute or two to re-edit prior to posting all your own essays I would have corrected it all! image >>

Impatient little boogers aren't they.....imageimage
  • Options
    This is a mess
  • Options

• Options
    Removed as per Broadstruck's request!!
    Brie

I am a YN that likes collecting state quarters and newer dollar coins
  • Options
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I've been informed the votes are to be posted, most likely to avoid any thoughts the selections are made soley by Broadstruck.

All the essays were great its a shame they all can't win first.

Having read all the essays these are my selections:

miktau= First
    Coinsareneat=second
    Weather11am=third
  • Options

<< <i>I've been informed the votes are to be posted, most likely to avoid any thoughts the selections are made soley by Broadstruck.

All the essays were great its a shame they all can't win first.

Having read all the essays these are my selections:

miktau= First
    Coinsareneat=second
    Weather11am=third >>

Correct... Kindly Post all your votes in the Thread, do Not PM me on your choices.

Also it was mentioned by one YN that he/she didn't want the whole world to know their age... Sorry it just wouldn't be fair to judge an entry by a 10 year old at the same level as a 17 year old.
  • Options
    well broadstruck, its your giveaway, arent you going to vote?
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, this is a toughy. I'm going to go with:

SilverEagles
    Stella
    Megan (LVTeddy's)

I'm in awe of the turnout, as well as everyone's efforts.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I'll read this in the mornin with fresher eyes and a well rested body.

Looks like there are a lot of participants and good luck to you all.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file