Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

YN Forum Member Essay Contest Huge Jumbo Mega Multi Senior Member Contribution Prize Pot.

Comments

• Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549

<< <i>

<< <i>Great idea Broadstruck -

i'll happily toss smoething in the pot if you out the B&M shop that offers a 25% buyback to a YN!!

z >>

zenny, I'd really like to but it wasn't the owner as it was one of the B&M groupies that's just there all the time and I guess therefore became somewhat of an employee. I know the owner from his days as a collector and also know some of his personal family issues and this is his livelyhood. I had ventured into the shop 3-4 times over a 9 month period with a checkbook in my back pocket and there hasn't been a single item worthy to whip it out from 1/2c to $20. All stale inventory too, and you can tell by reading someone's face that their business venture is not stable. Since I'm not a regular I'm not sure if this was a normal occurance or just desperate measures even at the expense of a YN. I'm glad I was there when this occurred and was also happy just to have another collector in the shop during my visit! I hope you understand? >>

aw shucks, will pick out a pot addition when i get home and pm ya, pards...
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE: First, Second, and Third Place Prizes are now rolling in where the Contibuting Member is allocating how each prize is awarded! image

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Great idea!!

I must add that those are some sweet coins that Boiler78 has added!image Very nice!
  • Options
    If this pot gets any bigger/better, I am gettin' an alt and put in an essay!!!! LOL You are right, its already nicer than my collection!!!
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! It's great to see such generosity so far from the Forum members on behalf on us YNs... Here's a "thumbs up" to all the contributors so far.
    Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options

<< <i>imageMore prizes posted below! image

image >>

• Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    This is great Broadstruck!
  • Options
    Man, 66RB is putting that in the pot? I am DEFINITELY getting an alt now!!! LOL

<< If it is getting to be large, why not split it up among a few yn's? >>

Man, there could be a prize for every essay written, including those adults that get alts and hand one in!! LOL
  • Options
    nutz4coinz, I think you need a to take a hiatus/sabatical from the forum till June 1st at 9:01 PM EST! imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>nutz4coinz, I think you need a to take a hiatus/sabatical from the forum till June 1st at 9:01 PM EST! imageimage >>

I started collecting when I was 10, the knowledge and free stuff image I got is what kept in the hobby. Because of coins I turned into a huge history buff and learned early in life why America is the greatest country to live in, why so many people have died to protect our freedoms and much much more . My PM with a contribution to all 3 places is being sent.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options

<< <i>imageMore prizes posted below! image

image >>

• Options
    More prizes will be posted tonight!!! image
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    I suppose I will have to write an essay this weekend! image
    Zach
  • Options

<< <i>I suppose I will have to write an essay this weekend! image >>

I turned mine in last night... Good luck to all the participants, and thanks to the forum for their generosity!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    Yes SilverEagles92 was the first and now with zrlevin that makes 5 YN's that I know are busy working on an Essay!

I will not accept an Essay from nutz4coinz's alt coinz4nutz! image
  • Options

<< <i>I suppose I will have to write an essay this weekend! image >>

Same here image
  • Options
    I was going to attempt to enter but everyone else has me totally smoked...good luck with the contest
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    I will not accept an Essay from nutz4coinz's alt coinz4nutz!

Damn you, Broadstruck!!! Now it will take me till at LEAST June 2 to come up with a new alt......image

All kidding aside, Broadstruck, you are doing a GREAT JOB with this, and I, for one, commend you...and to ALL of you who have donated, great job stepping up and sweetening the pot. There's a TON of great stuff....
  • Options
    Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭
    good luck you guys, ill be turning one in, and i won the Summer Seminar YN Scholarship Essay.image
  • Options

<< <i>I will not accept an Essay from nutz4coinz's alt coinz4nutz!

Damn you, Broadstruck!!! Now it will take me till at LEAST June 2 to come up with a new alt......image

All kidding aside, Broadstruck, you are doing a GREAT JOB with this, and I, for one, commend you...and to ALL of you who have donated, great job stepping up and sweetening the pot. There's a TON of great stuff.... >>

nutz4coinz, Thanks and Guess What?

imageMore prizes posted below! image

The donations are still flowing in as a few members are out of town, or need the weekend to dig something out.

Just totally overwhelming, as the amount of generousity on the boards is mind blowing!!! image

To all the YN's image
  • Options
    Top50SetBuilder, there may also be a prize for the YN with the most humble Essay.imageWith Respect And Support For All YNs, John Curlis
  • Options
    I have an additional set of prizes I am donating...I am not a big fan of schools having a "no first, second, third prizes - everyone is a winner" mentality, but here I think all entries deserve something for their efforts. Therefore, I am offering a random circulated Morgan dollar for the 4th through 6th place winners and 7th through however many entrants there are will receive a 5-quarter plastic holder with one silver-s, one unc P, and one unc D Wisconsin quarter included. It isn't much, but the extra leafs are what got me back into coin collecting and it is a little thank you for their hard work.

Perry
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options
    Wow, this is pretty cool! Props to everyone involved, and too bad my son is only 7 months old!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, this is pretty cool! Props to everyone involved, and too bad my son is only 7 months old! >>

By now, with all of the contributions, if he drooled on the keyboard he could probably win something. image
  • Options

<< <i>I was going to attempt to enter but everyone else has me totally smoked...good luck with the contest >>

Tvac897, You really need to try to enter if you are a YN, as there's nothing to loose and a lot to gain. As it's not always about wining, but just giving it your best shot and knowing you tried. If you don't you may regret it, as there are no loosers in a contest like this.

• Options

<< <i>I have an additional set of prizes I am donating...I am not a big fan of schools having a "no first, second, third prizes - everyone is a winner" mentality, but here I think all entries deserve something for their efforts. Therefore, I am offering a random circulated Morgan dollar for the 4th through 6th place winners and 7th through however many entrants there are will receive a 5-quarter plastic holder with one silver-s, one unc P, and one unc D Wisconsin quarter included. It isn't much, but the extra leafs are what got me back into coin collecting and it is a little thank you for their hard work.

Perry >>

thezookrew... I'll figure out some way to list these below?

Many Thanx!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Top50SetBuilder, there may also be a prize for the YN with the most humble Essay.imageWith Respect And Support For All YNs, John Curlis >>

It should be noted that "charley" is the Official 1st Flake to get this additional Prize Pot to Snowball, as he contacted me within minutes of my thread posting to add his donation. image

"charley" the above statement was meant as a very sincere compliment... but deep down please be assured I am getting a wee bit of a chuckle out of it! image

Many Thanx!!! image
  • Options
    I only regret that I didn't see a patented Broadstruck cartoon of a bowl of cornflakes being poured over a caricature of 'Charley' and a picture of a box of Chuckles. You are orchestrating a very important effort and YNs should not take the task in vain, so that this can be repeated. I sincerely appreciate your complement and recognition and it is humbling. With Thanks And Respect, John Curlis
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Since the pot gets sweeter seemingly by the hour, and that the YN's will probably try harder and harder as it grows, would it be possible to have the winning entrant submit his
    essay for publication in the Numismatist or other publication? Maybe the Top 3 entrants should get their essays published, I'm just spit-balling ideas.

This would be a great thing to promote at least once or twice a year to get more YN's involved in the hobby and to get them more recognized.

Anyone care to give their 2 cents on this idea?
  • Options
    Well I would definately like to repeat this again with a bit more organization next time around as this is a bit unstructured... fly by the seat of your pants as a first time run. Nevertheless this I'm very confident that it will run smoothly with no hic-ups.

I think there needs to be some sort of clearing center for all these prizes as I'm not sure if it's a grand idea to send out the address of all these YN's? Yet I really do not want it to slow down the prizes being delivered.

It would also be greatly appreciated if the Contributing Senior Member's could add Delivery Confirmation to all the parcels to track transit.

Just some food for thought image
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Have the Y/n's learn how to PM the prize holders that way only one address will be given and they will learn how to used the PCGS board better. image
  • Options
    Semi related thread KARMA

imageimage
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825

<< <i>I think there needs to be some sort of clearing center for all these prizes as I'm not sure if it's a grand idea to send out the address of all these YN's? >>

I agree, probably not such a great idea to distribute YN's addresses to a bunch of folks on the internet (although I'm sure all of our forum members are fine upstanding citizens). The YN's parent's might take issue with such an act. I know I'd be a little leary of having my daughter's name, interest in numismatics and contact information floating around the internet.

I would be happy to send my contribution (today) to you (or another designated clearing house). I'll be happy to include delivery confirmation and even a couple of bucks to help cover reshipping to the YN winner.

I wonder if the nice folks at PCGS might be willing to act as the clearing house (they could even kick in a free CC membership to the YN(s) ). Just a thought.

Broadstruck - you've started a very nice project! Thanks. Maybe next time I'll chip in a copy or three of "On Writing Well," by William Zinsser.

Thanks again Broadstruck!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think there needs to be some sort of clearing center for all these prizes as I'm not sure if it's a grand idea to send out the address of all these YN's? >>

I agree, probably not such a great idea to distribute YN's addresses to a bunch of folks on the internet (although I'm sure all of our forum members are fine upstanding citizens). The YN's parent's might take issue with such an act. I know I'd be a little leary of having my daughter's name, interest in numismatics and contact information floating around the internet.

I would be happy to send my contribution (today) to you (or another designated clearing house). I'll be happy to include delivery confirmation and even a couple of bucks to help cover reshipping to the YN winner.

I wonder if the nice folks at PCGS might be willing to act as the clearing house (they could even kick in a free CC membership to the YN(s) ). Just a thought.

Broadstruck - you've started a very nice project! Thanks. Maybe next time I'll chip in a copy or three of "On Writing Well," by William Zinsser.

Thanks again Broadstruck! >>

I'd much rather not slow things down and just donate the funds to the winners for the fees of a six-month term for a USPS Post Office Box, I'll have to inqure at the USPS to see if you have to be an adult for a P.O. Box image
  • Options
    Note: I'm seeing all the PM's and will reply on Saturday as I'll be away from a keyboard till then... thanks in advance for your paitience! image
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    pm sent
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    Very long time lurker here. Probobly not gonna win but i figured i would post my story anyways. Pm is sent. Cant wait to read the other responses.

Cheers,
    Michael
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy, miktau.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    This is an insane post!
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I just want to say here that the generosity of the board members and their support of the YN is outstanding!

I am proud to belong to a group of such great people.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    UhOh...I think we overwhelmed Broadstruck! He has been in hiding for over 48 hours. Time to call out the search and rescue teams!!

Perry
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options
    Welcome, miktau. I expect that you will present a worthwhile Esssay. Originality is good, effort is better. Ricko, note miktau signs off with "Cheers". There is something about that I find appealing... imageRespectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. I thought i wrote a pretty good original essay, Im in ap english and i usually do quite well although with this level of competition i think i may have to revise my essay lol. Guess im no longer a lurker.

cheers,
    Mike
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Don't despair! This is how Will Shakespeare got his start!
  • Options
    you wrote a whole essay?I only wrote about 4 short paragraphs. Hopefully its quality over quantity in this case.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭
    What a great idea, more donations to follow. Fred
  • Options

<< <i>UhOh...I think we overwhelmed Broadstruck! He has been in hiding for over 48 hours. Time to call out the search and rescue teams!!

Perry >>

image Call off the Dogs... I was out of town for the Memorial Day holiday weekend and wasn't able to get online image

Update: More Prizes and More Essays have trickled in... looking good YN's!!! image

(I'll make all revisions to the prize pot's today)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who are the players ?

This is quite a pot'o'gold. Where do I send my CrackerJack Prize ?
  • Options
    100? Respectfully, John Curlis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file