Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

YN Forum Member Essay Contest Huge Jumbo Mega Multi Senior Member Contribution Prize Pot.

Comments

• Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    I AM GOING TO TYPE THIS AS "LOUD" AS I CAN FOR zrlevin AND THE OTHER yn's

I MEANT NO DISRESPECT OUT OF THE TIME AND ENERGY TAKEN BY THE OLDER YN'S ON THEIR ESSAYS.

My comment was geared more towards giving the younger YN's a shot at hope they could win against the older
    members. Could you imagine being 12 or 14 and seeing what you were up against. Maybe they didn't spend 3 hours on their essay. Maybe they didn't have the help other YN's had from parents and peers. But they were written from the heart. With the hope of claiming a prize and expressing their love for the hobby..

It seems only laxmaster92 understood this. Read his post it reflects what I was trying to say. I guess I am a little
    too old to try and speak to the younger generation...image

You all did an outstanding job!!!!!!!!! Every single essay was written from a YN to reflect their feelings. I understand that, I truly do.

James

• Options
    Battle Royale!!!
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Battle Royale!!! >>

I have no intention of fighting. I am just happy to be here, and to be involved with coins! image
    Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options

<< <i>I AM GOING TO TYPE THIS AS "LOUD" AS I CAN FOR zrlevin AND THE OTHER yn's

I MEANT NO DISRESPECT OUT OF THE TIME AND ENERGY TAKEN BY THE OLDER YN'S ON THEIR ESSAYS.

My comment was geared more towards giving the younger YN's a shot at hope they could win against the older
    members. Could you imagine being 12 or 14 and seeing what you were up against. Maybe they didn't spend 3 hours on their essay. Maybe they didn't have the help other YN's had from parents and peers. But they were written from the heart. With the hope of claiming a prize and expressing their love for the hobby..

It seems only laxmaster92 understood this. Read his post it reflects what I was trying to say. I guess I am a little
    too old to try and speak to the younger generation...image

You all did an outstanding job!!!!!!!!! Every single essay was written from a YN to reflect their feelings. I understand that, I truly do.

James >>

I was just letting out my feelings, and I completely understand what you were telling us YN's.

My response was not geared toward your comment, but rather to those who said that the prizes meant nothing to them.

I'll be honest in saying that I wrote the essay mainly in hopes of winning the prizes, and I feel that others need to be honest with
    themselves in realizing that without the prizes many of the essays would not have been written.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i'm in awe just how this truly is no mess at all...just some heart felt bonding as i cheerish all replies as the essay's

we in the end are but one big family here who share a passion in common...we's home how i see it where we all have understanding...share our excitements as with our disappointments

for truly without lows...could we know what a high is in life.

megan finally had her account approved and will be on under user name "meep" tomorrow when i get her..quite a yn as her dad is a cop(not me) and her mom is a vet who takes care of cats mostly...so she intends to be an "animal cop" with numismatics being a hobby to her she enjoys

;-)
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stella, you make a great case for being voted at the top with your last entry. It's very good. But, isn't it past curfew ? image
  • Options
    I do believe this is starting to get a little away from a lot of people on this thread. Being a contributor, father to a YN who wrote one of the essays, and a high school teacher, I want to add my two cents worth. As I don't have a vote (and rightly so) I feel that those that do vote should not have to justify why they chose the essays they did. Whether it is the formality of an older YN's essay, the cuteness of a younger YN's essay, or something in between, there shouldn't be any question as to "why", and just congratulations to a job well done for ALL of the kids that submitted an essay (this is one of the reasons I added the prize to make sure everyone that enters receives something). As a teacher, I may grade a science report as a 95%, seeing the effort made over previous work, knowing the capabilities of the student, etc., while a collegue may look at the exact same paper and give it a 75% because he only sees the facts as laid out on the paper in comparison to other students and/or a preconceived idea of what the essay should look like. A group of people seeing the same group of essays will rarely come to a consensus on which the top ones are - especially when they are being produced from such a diverse number of YNs.

That being said, I still believe this is a wonderful opportunity to get to see some of the YNs who may not post often on the boards and to give them the chance to tell what makes this hobby what it is FOR THEM. That is what this giveaway was started for - to see the shining lights that will carry this hobby on after the older generations are gone.

And Broadstruck, for having to contend with the ups and downs this post has generated, I wish you all the good karma possible, for I am sure, despite everything, the true spirit of this giveaway still lurks in the hearts of every forum member who has viewed these posts. And I am sure the next one will be planned out much farther in advance!!!image

Perry
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I just want to say that there are enough prizes to adequately compensate each and every YN who submitted an essay image.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I'm only in it for the money" - Frank Zappa.image

Only for the fossils. image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote-

Tie,

split it up
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    cinman14...I totally understand what you are getting at. a 10.12 y.o. YN hasnt been subjected to the language skills that, say, a 16 or 17 year old has.

When I said 'Battle Royale', I meant it only in a fun way. Its actually refreshing to see the pot stirred a bit, to see you speaking your mind. Its good for you. It'll help you down the road. Never be 'meely mouthed', always take a firm stance in your beliefs. Not to the point of being an aggravator, but stand your ground. Its part of becoming a NON YN!! LOL

Now, am I supposed to cast my vote publicly or....???? Broadstruck, where are ya??? You started this blasted thing!! LOL If I cant get a ruling from Broadstruck by early eve (say 9pm, east coaster here), I'll just post it publicly.

I WOULD like to say two things to the YN's that participated:

1) Excellent job by all of you. I know its said alot, and most times it just to make the people that DONT win feel good, but seriously, there were no losers here, all were very good. You all know why you decided to take the hobby up, and it appears you all enjoy it thoroughly. You MAY lose interest for a few years, when ya get a little older, say high school and college age, as, well, priorities change a bit at those ages (dont they at those ages, fellow adults? image ). Try to take a look at a special coin every now and again...keep that pilot light for the hobby burning. Once you come back to it, you'll see it in a whole new light...but that whole new light will still be lit from that old spark that got you into it...the ones you shared with us. Props, good job, atta-boys/atta-girls, all around!!

2) There may be hope, yet, for this hobby to continue. Each and every YN that participated showed me signs of being beyond their years. Its nice to know the passion they feel appears real, and hey, there's nothing wrong with doing it 'for the money'. As an adult, thats pretty much what its all about, in a nutshell (referring to working for a living). Those that didnt, more power to you....but ALL of you BETTER start posting and contributing to these boards, now!!! lol

Stay tuned for my vote, should I not hear from Broadstruck!!!

Oh, one last thing....I joked about an alt and sending in an essay to try to grab some of the 'pot'. I dont think I could have done as good a job as our YN's did on this. I, for one, am impressed. Kinda scared too, as they'll be more knowledgable and smarter collectors than I was for a time...also scared that these are the people that are gonna try to rip my coins when I am an old!! (they are getting valuable knowledge from these boards, and what goes around, comes around...lol).
  • Options
    i vote tie too...split it up
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    I am one of the participants and I agree to split it up as well but how do you split it up fairly?
  • Options

<< <i>I am one of the participants and I agree to split it up as well but how do you split it up fairly? >>

We could do like one member suggested, selling all of the prizes in a charity auction, and dividing the money up evenly among the entrants. That would be the most fair way, but I don't know how economical that would be.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    sell the lot and issue equal paypal payments to use...is how'd i'd split it

;-)

as i've no problem whatever happens to my contribution and even included more then disclosed

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    I disagree with splitting it up or changing the rules or prize structure after the contest closed. Broadstruck has this so that the contributing members are to vote for the prize winners and so it should be. He flew somewhere yesterday and will deal with this when he gets back, probably in a new essay/voting thread. I would assume the tie votes will do nothing but help no one. Everyone who votes can decide for themselves how to cast their votes, but to say sell everything and give the money to all the entrants evenly now may sound noble, but that is not what we agreed to.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    What if someone SNIPES the lot on Ebay for 100 bucks....imageimageimage

Stranger things have happened. All I know is I am only shipping this safe once....image

I would agree to splitting the prizes into 2 different age groups. With the level of prizes awarded accordingly.

It would be hard for me to vote knowing the vast difference in maturity levels. It would not be a fair contest in any situation
    to have 11 yr olds competing against 16yr olds. Keep the two highest valued items as first place prizes for each age group.
    and go from there.

Just another opinion. Please don't lambast me anymore for my opinions....image
  • Options
    what if every YN who entered was entered into a Grab Bag. Someone picks an order and everyone, in order selects a prize they want, until the prizes are all gone? This way everyone is happy
  • Options
    How to you suggest the ages being split

14 and under

15 and up?
  • Options

<< <i>How to you suggest the ages being split

14 and under

15 and up? >>

You really can't compare a 14 year old to a 10 year old. I'd say maybe 12 and under, and 13 and up?
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Maybe we could have a cage match!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>Maybe we could have a cage match!!!image >>

What, you finally realizing Hillary can't fix this? image
  • Options

I'm down!
  • Options
    << Maybe we could have a cage match!!! >>

OK.
  • Options

<< <i><< Maybe we could have a cage match!!! >>

OK. >>

Or is it KO? image

• Options

<< <i>

14 and under

15 and up? >>

You really can't compare a 14 year old to a 10 year old. I'd say maybe 12 and under, and 13 and up? >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

14 and under

15 and up? >>

You really can't compare a 14 year old to a 10 year old. I'd say maybe 12 and under, and 13 and up? >>

image >>

So who would get the camera set up and who would get the safe? Let alone First Second and Third have some prizes you can't split up. This is a YN contest. We signed up to give YN's Numismatic material, not money.
    It seems I am seeing a lot of the entrants (YN's), and some of the parents, are making the biggest case to change the rules. I have kids, and did not sign any of them up for this, as they were not old enough to make their own essay. We are not a communist state where we just split everything up and I don't think that is a good lesson to teach a YN, IMO. Everyone who entered realized they may win, they may not. Some members have agreed to give prizes all the way down to everyone who entered so no one will be completely left out. If I was a YN, I would love the chance to win a huge prize, or even second or third.
    I still stand by my belief the contest rules as set up originally should stand.

edited to add: I suppose I should say, I have not cast my votes yet, and I agree everyone did a great job too! image I just think this contest should play out like it was sold to us.
  • Options
    I HAD AN EPIPHONY!!!! While mowing my lawn (yes, some of my best ideas come during that time) it dawned on me - why not have the contributing members vote for the essays (like Broadstruck planned) but instead of sending the massive hoard to one person, have the member send their prizes to the essays THEY feel are best.

This way:

1) the pot will more than likely get split up and more YNs will benefit. I am sure not all of the contributing members would vote the same way across the board.

2) the contributors can PM the YNs and Broadstruck their choices so they can remain annonymous if they desire (or they can post, but it would be the contributing members choice)

and 3) we, as forum members, can bring this post back to its original intent and have Broadstruck give his Peace dollar to the YN HE feels is most deserving.

I know there are those that are going to say no changing the rules after the posts are in, but this is probably one of the more fair ways to dispurse the prizes and get a more equitable result.

Just some thoughts,

Perry

Edited to not make a certain type of donkey out of all of us, and yes, there is a prize allotted for everyone - I have 4-6 prize a circulated Morgan and 7th through however many YNs there are will get a P/D/Silver Wisconsin quarter set, but that could easily be adjusted to 1-3 get the Morgans and the rest get the Wisc. sets (I would take my YN out of contention and vote on the remaining essays) if my idea is acceptable to Broadstruck.
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
  • Options

<< <i>3) we, ass forum members >>

imageimage

Just like Broadstruck to start crap and then jump on a plane and fly awayimage
  • Options
    CgbCgb Posts: 710
    mispost
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>3) we, ass forum members >>

imageimage

Just like Broadstruck to start crap and then jump on a plane and fly awayimage >>

Thanks, I made the necessary corrections (I am a SCIENCE teacher, not an English teacher!!)

Perry
    TheZooKrew
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I'll be in Costa Rica until Thursday mid-morning. image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry I'll be in Costa Rica until Thursday mid-morning. image >>

The voice of reason has spoken!
  • Options

<< <i>

The voice of reason has spoken! >>

I'm not ready to speak... let me scroll down and see what the last 30 post are all about? image

A weedwacker would make it easier on some of these! image
  • Options

Bring me a shot glass back for the wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

Mega brownie points for me.....image
  • Options

<< <i>A weedwacker would make it easier on some of these! image >>

Some of the posts are pretty lengthy!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A weedwacker would make it easier on some of these! image >>

Some of the posts are pretty lengthy! >>

nutz4coinz, I liked your posts better when you where on the old Meds! image
  • Options
    I'm only 1/2 way done catching up, maybe a second stage to the contest is needed... for a while there a YN Steel Cage Match may have been in order? image

Edited to Say: Oh it's scary as I just saw MadMarty and I are thinking alike. image
  • Options
    CgbCgb Posts: 710

<< <i>I'm only 1/2 way done catching up, maybe a second stage to the contest is needed... for a while there a YN Steel Cage Match may have been in order? image

Edited to Say: Oh it's scary as I just saw MadMarty and I are thinking alike. image >>

Seeing as how I am on the wrestling team I would fully support that. image
  • Options
    Update: This contest started with the giveaway of a SINGLE Peace $1 for the best essay... and then the Pot GREW. This thread is a mess, however I'm not going to change things as we are now past mid-stream. I'll PM all the Essays to all the Contibuting Members and ask them to Cast their votes. One Sunday June 8 th 9:01 PM EST all the votes should be in and 1st, 2nd, 3rd Places will be chosen and some lucky YN will take the whole Pot.

This contest can be done again with more organization in the future... but for now this will run it's course! image

Edited to add: cinman14, I am outta town until Thursday... but the Costa Rica part was a joke! image
  • Options

<< <i>Edited to add: cinman14, I am outta town until Thursday... but the Costa Rica part was a joke! >>

image man I was hoping for a shot glass for the wifes collection..If you ever go there..image
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549

<< <i>

What, you finally realizing Hillary can't fix this? image >>

yeah, we better get the Supremes involved so they can offer another one time only opinion...
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

One thing that would life a whole lot easier for you, Broadstruck, would be to have a Poll.

Each member could vote for three essays - and the cut off would be for voting in a week or so;
    not June 8th; its too soon to end on the 8th and set up an effective Poll.

JMHO.

I'm reserving my vote(s) until you've given some thought about setting up a Poll.

Sorry to be a Buster.

BTW, all the essays were very well thought out and well written. I congratulate all the YN's
    who entered. One essay hit a chord with me as it echos my initial involvement in Numismatics.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Couldn't let Adrian enjoy the Twins all by himself, huh ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    GFourDriverGFourDriver Posts: 2,366
    Flip a coin?
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    I was very excited about the initial evolution of this giveaway when it first appeared on the boards. In addition, I have been impressed by the enthusiasm many of the YNs have shown. Each one is to be congratulated for their time, effort and dedication. But I have been disappointed at the amount of impatience, positioning and posturing I have seen as this contest has progressed. image

For those of you that are in this contest I understand you’re excited. This pot is huge with lots of cool stuff. image If anyone says they are not interested in this prize they are either lying or are simply highly competitive in essay contests but do not care about Numismatics (I personally do not believe that is the case).

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but if your not excited about getting enough Numismatic inventory to prepare you for the next local show in your area or to considerably enhance your current collection, PM me and let me know. I would rather this lot go to someone who is excited about receiving such a large catalyst to their collection, in addition to having a strong Numismatic interest.

As a contributor and voter I would respectfully request the following from the contestants:

1 – Please stop cluttering this thread with additional posts of your essay. Finding all of the information is becoming more difficult due to redundant and un-needed posts. I am going to PM Broadstuck and ask him if he requested all these reposts of essays. If he did, I will apologize for my comments. If he did not, I might consider voting for only those who did not repost. Broadstuck has been kind enough to put this contest together, if you have an issue with how your essay was posted I would speak with him. Reposting only adds to this symposium of clutter.image

2 – Please stop cluttering this thread with additional suggestions on how this contest should be run. That is what is known as a conflict of interest. If you want to have a say in the rules, respectfully withdraw your essay and make a donation to the pot!image Otherwise, let Broadstruck work this out, it is his show let him run it. image

Good luck to all of you

Now for the rest of you (if you thought I was too rough flame away). BTW, This is the exact discussion I would have with the up and comers in my house but I am always open to suggestions on how to tweak my presentation. Advice is often a work in progressimage
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    My head hurts. Broadstruck, please settle the masses with an appropriate cartoon, which will also help my headache brought on by confusion from the rules changes suggestions being made. This is not a Florida or Michigan Delegate vote, YET. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm only 1/2 way done catching up, maybe a second stage to the contest is needed... for a while there a YN Steel Cage Match may have been in order? image

Edited to Say: Oh it's scary as I just saw MadMarty and I are thinking alike. image >>

Seeing as how I am on the wrestling team I would fully support that. image >>

Now there's a twist. YN's are usually the one's getting threatened with a pounding, not the one's offering to give one. imageimage
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    It is possible that Cgb has a future in Chad evaluation, considering a declared "mispost" prior to a Post 114 minutes later with a 'cryptic' response.imageRespectfully, John Curlis. PS: I like new words.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    300 image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file