Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1981 Topps Baseball "Official" PSA Thread

Comments

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    post a scan. it varies. Most of mine with noticeable snow (assuming 81s here) have never came back above an 8.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Yes I do owe you guys some scans.

Does anyone know if graders actually have a scanned image of the card to look at
    along with their eyeballing of a card?

Sometimes when I scan cards I can see surface issues that really aren't apparent to
    the naked eye.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Did the graders throw 'em a bone on this one?

I thought the rear centering had to be 80-20 for PSA 10.
    That looks more like 85-15 or 90-10 tome.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • I've got to think that they also take into consideration the set in question.

for 1981, even if the front centering is good, they are very often badly centered on the back.

The quality control on that set was just awful.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • I have a number of cards that might be PSA 9 or even 10
    otherwise but have a noticeable tilt so that the border on the lower
    right corner looks thinner. Rickey Henderson is a good example;
    most of my Henderson cards have this issue.

Do these cards still have a shot at a 9 if the tilt is not too extreme
    or will they most likely ony rate an 8?

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Took me a minute to see the tilt -- it's top to bottom not left/right.

Nice card.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    The lower corners are definitely NOT PSA 10 material on the Rose...
  • Lower left looks very similar to a lot of my cards from my vending boxes.

Maybe this means that I have a good shot at some PSA 10s. image

These soft cardstock 1981s are so hard to find with 4 razor-sharp corners.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • I've finished 26 of 36 boxes. Going slower as I learn the 1981 set better and setting
    aside more potential 9/10 cards as I go.

The star cards are for the most part not very good. Not very many 9s for most
    of the key HOF players. Centering is just not good it's that simple.

The corners on these unsearched boxes are a littler better than I expected given
    the thin card stock. These boxes were packed tightly in their case for 30 years
    and definitely not moved around much.

Who knows -- the last 10 boxes might have some real surprises. Not betting on
    a PSA 10 Rose though since I don't think I've gotten a 9 yet after 18 cards.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • I'm enjoying it immensely because some great cards are gonna
    come out of this.

I probably would not want to pay the current market price for these
    vending boxes given what I've seen so far. I got a geat deal on 'em
    so that softens the blow quite a bit.

The card stock is very thin compared to 1988, 1989 Topps.
    Now I'm curious what a vending box of those years would
    yield given stronger card stock. For $70 a vending case
    at BBCE it's hard to see how you couldn't recoup your
    investment easily.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 2 packs of '81 Topps this week and cards seemed very nice for this issue, including a very sharp and well centered Yaz. Anyone know if any of these are worth subbing?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Nice selection. The Yaz is better than any that I just pulled from vending boxes. If they're as good
    as they look then I think they should grade well.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Team Cards....

I've always hated them and never bought one ever.

That being said I have about 600 of them for 1981 and many in really nice condition.

Can someone please explain to me what drives the price on these? When I look at the
    population reports there is nothing that suggests to me why the 1981 Astros cards can
    fetch $170 and others with the same population get only $20 in PSA 10.

Is this related to registry sets? I guess I just don't get it.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • I have a 1981 #317 PSA 8 Lonnie Smith for sale.
    Starts at $5, free shipping.
    Click on the link bleow.

eBay
  • After accidentally deleting my entire collection from the PSA set registry a year ago, I finally had time to get my 1981 set reloaded. Back on the board at number 8. Got some work to do to catch smokie image
    1981 Topps in Process
  • Excellent.

Increases the market for my PSA-graded 1981 Topps.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Maybe. Look forward to seeing how the rest of the grading goes
    1981 Topps in Process
  • Any particular ones that you're looking for?

I have a bunch of potential PSA 10s and I might as well sub something that
    someone needs for their registry set.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • I have 2 nice 1981 Topps cards for sale on eBay:

1. #494 - PSA 9 MINT - BOB WALK
    2. #402 - PSA 9 MINT - Phillies Squeak Past Astros '80 NL Champions

eBay
  • I have a three (3) card lot of 1981 Topps PSA 9's.

1. #494 Bob Walk PSA 9
    2. #470 Manny Trillo PSA 9
    3. #402 Phillies Squeak Past Astros '80 NL Champions PSA 9

Bid starts at $5 - great price for 3 really good looking cards.

eBay
  • Opened a cello box...75% of the cards looked like I had pitched them (like we use to do back in 81) against the wall, right out of the pack.
  • cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Those and the vending boxes can be rough... Tough luck, Chief. Try a box of Rack Packs. Should be much better
  • Rack packs are my favorite too, but the quality is very tough in this issue. Be prepared if the top card in the card is O/C - they will all be O/C.

I have about 50 miscut Johnny Benchs with the exact same flaw....
    Les Aiello
    AAA
    Pete Rose #180:

Another one on Ebay

I see the population is now eight on this card in PSA 10 GEM MINT condition -- yet it is still commanding nearly $2k+ (perhaps much higher, after this one closes).

What gives? Is one or two collectors hoarding the 10s that exist? Population eight PSA 10 nearly twenty years after his debut -- I imagine there are other Rose cards that are harder to find in 10 that are not as valuable.

I'd love to add a 10 some day to my 1981 Phillies team set, but cannot envision paying so much money for a card with that high a population.

Thoughts?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    This is one of the best looking 81 10s I've seen. Very nice.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• jessherronjessherron Posts: 182 ✭✭
    Been quiet in here. Making a push to complete this set. Only about 60% done but have a huge self submission getting close to send off. Anyone else still grinding this set.

The price for unopened from 81 has gotten stupid in the past 18 months.
    1981 Topps in Process
    Still targeting that Glenn Adams and Fernando 10. lol

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• SmokieSmokie Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Still working on it Jessherron, down to 10 more to change out to 9's or 10's and it will be all 9's and 10's
  • jessherronjessherron Posts: 182 ✭✭
    Nice work smokie. Wasnt that long ago you were where I am on this bad boy
    1981 Topps in Process
    Been chipping away at this set ever since I broke two vending boxes from gaspipe a while back. Much tougher set than I thought and undervalued, imo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Been chipping away at this set ever since I broke two vending boxes from gaspipe a while back. Much tougher set than I thought and undervalued, imo. >>

I don't know if I'd call it undervalued -- there's just not much demand for these. You are absolutely correct, though, that the cards are insanely tough and it's a challenge to find in top grade.

I've been upgrading my Phillies team set for the better part of a decade, and still have a few cards to go.

• I recently made a trade with Ron (Smokie) and picked up a card for my 1981 set, great guy to deal with. Just had grades pop last night on one of my subs I have in right now, pretty happy with two hits on 10's that are now pop 2. Also hit with a pop one 10 Bob Molinaro and a pop three Benny Ayala 9.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak

<< <i>I recently made a trade with Ron (Smokie) and picked up a card for my 1981 set, great guy to deal with. Just had grades pop last night on one of my subs I have in right now, pretty happy with two hits on 10's that are now pop 2. Also hit with a pop one 10 Bob Molinaro and a pop three Benny Ayala 9. >>

Nice hits. That Ayala is a beast.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

<< <i>

<< <i>Been chipping away at this set ever since I broke two vending boxes from gaspipe a while back. Much tougher set than I thought and undervalued, imo. >>

I don't know if I'd call it undervalued -- there's just not much demand for these. You are absolutely correct, though, that the cards are insanely tough and it's a challenge to find in top grade.

I've been upgrading my Phillies team set for the better part of a decade, and still have a few cards to go. >>

Underappreciated may be a better term~considering the degree of difficulty with this issue. Also makes it a challenge to decide which cards to submit as most retail for less than the grading fee for PSA 9 grade.

• I think it is the design that kills this set as well as the low price on the 9s and the just plain difficulty in pulling these cards centered. The 1980 set was the first set I had a shot at completing and I loved the design, I remember my disappointment when opening my first pack of 1981's, I could never find any love for the Hat set. Now that I am actually getting them graded, I've found a new reason to dislike the set :-) I've got 42 Tens so far...and a LONG way to go.
  • Did anybody notice the pop report now shows the Glenn Adams card as having two 9's? Also a few without 10's changed to pop 1's, Hernandez and Corcoran both are now slabbed gem mint. Anyone here hit on those?
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak

<< <i>Did anybody notice the pop report now shows the Glenn Adams card as having two 9's? Also a few without 10's changed to pop 1's, Hernandez and Corcoran both are now slabbed gem mint. Anyone here hit on those? >>

Major hits. Adams bumping from 0 to 2 on the 9s is incredible. Can't wait to see how these compare to other 8s.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Does anyone know if the owner of Kasper Cards is on the boards?
    ~WalterSobchak
    I picked up one of the 2 Glenn Adams PSA 9 cards today, when I get it I'll put a pic of it on here of it.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Is this it??
    Yes it is................ Waiting for it to arrive.
    Definitely a sharp card. Lee has some nice cards.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Getting closer Dave, 9 more to change out.
  • 81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    Haven't had much activity in this thread for awhile, wanted to bump this to first page. I just hit 100% today with my set thanks to Smokie (Ron) who sent me an 8 Mickey Klutts #232 card. I asked him if he had a raw Klutts that had a chance of grading an 8 and he just sent me an extra PSA 8; Ron is a great guy to deal with.
    Originally posted by: 81 Topps Guy
    Haven't had much activity in this thread for awhile, wanted to bump this to first page. I just hit 100% today with my set thanks to Smokie (Ron) who sent me an 8 Mickey Klutts #232 card. I asked him if he had a raw Klutts that had a chance of grading an 8 and he just sent me an extra PSA 8; Ron is a great guy to deal with.

Congratulations. Are you planning to upgrade?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a great set, and the #1 spot! Definitely jealous of the Youngblood.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Wondering what that Jose Morales is going to end up??

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the 3 different 1981 boxes being ripped on the other board, just thought I'd give this thread a bump in case there are some that want to read up on the 81s. Unfortunately, almost all of the photos that were in this thread have been lost.

1981 was the first year that I ever collected, so of course I have an affinity for these even though they don't get a lot of love from the hobby overall. I've tinkered around with a PSA 9+ registry set for 5+ years, and am about to break the 50 percent mark with only a few more additions. I don't actively (substitute in "aggressively" or "vigorously", if you like) work on this set, because I have so many other projects going that divert my bankroll, but will bid on a few from time to time when I see them pop up.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if part of the reason set collecting on the registry has slowed is because ripping and submitting has become so impractical.

I'm not an expert on this set, but it seems clear that when submitting, with the exception of a few low pops and major stars, anything less than a 10 is not worth the grading fees, let alone the cost of the unopened material. Take the really nice Yount Sdub pulled. Looks great, but it is worth about $8 as a 9. It's so much more financially sound to just buy the grades you want, yet less fun.