Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• OK guys there IS going to be an anniversary set with a very high limit and one per household. It will be out in Dec.

The tenth once 2007-w unc coin is going to be prounced dead very soon and show up as such on the web site.

The weekly sales report for the 2007 proof plats as of 11/19 is

$100...2581
    $50....1061
    $25....1137
    $10....2006
    4 set...3993

for the 2007-w ms plats

OK guys thats the latest according to memos at the office of public affairs as of this week.

Best Wishes to you all,

Ericj96
    PS: I'm starting to wonder if the 2007-w silver eagle unc is dead too. This is just me wondering not anything from the mint.

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Wow 30,000 sets are they crazy. I guess I'll be waiting to buy on the secondary market. Way to many IMO.image

I'd sure be selling or sending back those 1/2 ounce proofs since there's now more than 30k! That's 3 or 4 years worth this year alone.

edited to add:

Eric I see you changed your numbers to 15k and that's still plenty. I'll have to see if they price them like the old hags....
  • I put down VERY HIGH LIMIT but they told me 30,000 sets and its hard to believe. I hedged my bets because I hate to run my mouth and be wrong.

Guys the unc-w plats are going to be killers in high grade. Think 4,000 as a general order of mintage magnitude for the half and quarter. The fractional plats and the unc-w silver dollar are going to be the ride again this year.

Ericj96
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Eric,

So you think PCGS MS70s for 1/10 Plats for the 2007-W will do well? What do you think.... $600 ish?
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Eric - What are you saying about the W Unc SAE? I thought they made a bunch of these? They are around $150 in MS70FS.

DeepCoin - I think the 1/10 MS70 in FS is $800ish.

Randy

• DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I believe there were 550K made of the 2007-W Unc SAEs. That is about 75 or 100K more than last year and those sell for around 90ish depending upon raw, certified...etc.

Perhaps a sell out before the end of the year would boost these. Interesting to watch
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I'll pass on the Plat.

I mean, they only sold a little over 15K total proof and Unc. 'w' for all sizes in 2007 !!

If they can't sell 20,000 1/2 gold coins (Dolley) , I don't see how they can sell 15K-30K Platinum sets at, what, $1500 - $1800.

I'm a buyer with a mintage of 5000.

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    OK guy there IS going to be an anniversary set with a very high limit of 15,000 plus and one per household. It will be out in Dec.

They just killed the desirability of this set I believe. They only made 10,000 of Reverse Gold but the Mint is forcasting the same enthusiasm for this set which I don't believe is there.

I have two unopened First Strike Eligible Plat 1/10 boxes and a 1/2 Plat MS which is at least a 69 maybe a 70. I would buy the quarter but the 1/10 oz MS plats are a very high mintage compared to last years and I believe the other singles will be close that number of the 07 1/10.
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the info about the 2007 reverse plat set coming from?
  • Info is from memos produced at the office of public affairs for the US Mint.

Lets assume we are coming to the end of the unc-w plats. And lets assume the mintage relationships based on history are somewhat stable and the halves run out at about 4,000 coins. The coins are very poor quality as a group and lets assume again the PCGS grade through rate stays stable at roughly 15 percent for the halves...................................600 coins is tight.

Will the anniversary set collectors that have gold and silver 3 coin sets want to put together a set like what they already have with 3 coins of the same design and different finish? If so that puts all kinds of pressure on the unc-w half in high grade.......... based on condition rarity the 2007-w may be stonger than the 2006-w in 70 plus the 2007-w could see anniversary set cross currents that the 2006 does not enjoy. I have no Idea how it will all turn out but I will be exciting to watch.

We shall see. Interesting times are upon us.

Ericj96
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    The 4- coin Plat. Proof set max mintage...10,000 and the 1/2 oz. single Proof....max. 5000 = 15,000. image Mint will alter max. mintage for half or will they stay put and put out the "not available" sign, when sales reach max. They have been throwing a few curve balls this year, so just have to pay attention, to see how it shakes out.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    2007 ASE W Uncirculated NO LONGER AVAILABLE as of today
  • Well that was quick on the 2007-w ASE. We were expecting it.

Deepcoin. I don't know how much the 2007-w $10 pcgs 70 will bring but over $400 would be safe if I had to guess.

Ericj96
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Any idea when the Mint will get around to providing final numbers on the 2006 w platinum uncirculated coins?

The figures I've been using are:

1 oz: 3,168
    1/2 : 2,577
    1/4: 2,676
    1/10: 3,544

but it's gotten to the point that I don't recall the source for those at this point

Can anyone verify or provide different numbers from a reliable source?

I still have a hard time accepting that it takes the Mint so long to provide an actual number- you'd think they'd be very carefully tracking something valued at $1,400+ an ounce.

Sales - returns = X right?

or maybe [coins struck] - [sales] + [returns] = quantity hidden in Mint vault

Dan
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well that was quick on the 2007-w ASE. We were expecting it.

Deepcoin. I don't know how much the 2007-w $10 pcgs 70 will bring but over $400 would be safe if I had to guess.

Ericj96 >>

I saw your post earlier and came back tonight to see
    "product not available" on this years silver eagle.

Good call Ericj96.

I've been selling some 2007 W ASE's and noticed a rise in my bids today.
    I thought these would be dead-in-the-water because of the Mint's proposed dollar series of offering
    the Presidential dollars, Sac dollar and the 2007 W silver dollar in a set (for this year?)

Oh, well...second-guessing the Mint can be detrimental to one sanity.

Ren

• Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    I think the mint stopped selling in order to hold back for inclusion with the dollar sets coming in early December. Just a guess, but we will see. image
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    There will be no ASE set in December.

• << <i>Any idea when the Mint will get around to providing final numbers on the 2006 w platinum uncirculated coins?

The figures I've been using are:

1 oz: 3,168
    1/2 : 2,577
    1/4: 2,676
    1/10: 3,544

but it's gotten to the point that I don't recall the source for those at this point

Can anyone verify or provide different numbers from a reliable source?

I still have a hard time accepting that it takes the Mint so long to provide an actual number- you'd think they'd be very carefully tracking something valued at $1,400+ an ounce.

Sales - returns = X right?

or maybe [coins struck] - [sales] + [returns] = quantity hidden in Mint vault >>

Dan the numbers that you have came from the report produced in July by the accounting department for the office of public affairs. Its the best and latest we have at this point. And the data fits a ton of other relationships that have proven to be good indicators in the past.

This thread has a very detailed description of this data and where it came from if you will look for it.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Eric, the 2007 W silver eagles are sold out at mint 550,000 or so mintage what say you?
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more I see happening with the 2007's, the better the 2006's look to me! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• << <i>Hey Eric, the 2007 W silver eagles are sold out at mint 550,000 or so mintage what say you? >>

I went out last night and bought 14 of them buy it now off ebay for just over issue price.

Ericj96
  • NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Deepcoin,

This are the sales averages for eBay and TT:

"based on condition rarity the 2007-w may be stonger than the 2006-w in 70 plus the 2007-w could see anniversary set cross currents that the 2006 does not enjoy. I have no Idea how it will all turn out but I will be exciting to watch", EricJ96

Since the 2007 Ws came out, the $50s and the $100s have had a very low MS70 rate compared to last year's. That may turn into a great opportunity for those lucky enough to have an MS70 IMO (especially long term).

• Eric,

someone mentioned on another thread, a rumor that the mint was going to start restriking the 2007-W ASE. have you heard anything like this? or is this coin done?

thanks

Craig
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Deepcoin,

This are the sales averages for eBay and TT:

image >>

The 2007-W 1/10 Plats in PCGS MS70 have just recently (in the last 30 days) posted 4 sales at $621.25 average........

They are moving UP ^^^ image
  • Eric,

someone mentioned on another thread, a rumor that the mint was going to start restriking the 2007-W ASE. have you heard anything like this? or is this coin done?

thanks

Craig

ANSWER: THE COIN IS DONE IN SINGLE ISSUE FOR CERTAIN. THE MULTI-COIN SET THAT THEY A WERE TALKING ABOUT EARLY THIS YEAR IS NOT LOOKING LIKELY.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neo, nice work on the summary. You're really gettin' into this stuff, aren't ya? And say, is that an MS-70 half ozer?image

I tend to agree that condition will be an important factor in the values for the 2007-Ws. It is becoming an interesting year, indeed.

As the economy slows down in 2008, you can be sure that the game will become even tougher. Platinum prices have continued to rise, even when gold and silver took a hit. At some point the pricing for platinum will top out, and when it does (my guess is 2008), I would expect some liquidation of Plats on ebay and elsewhere.

If my scenario does occur, I would also expect even lower mintages next year, which in my mind means an all-time low mintage year. That's my call for the Plat Series. Money will be less plentiful and some will get burned in platinum, leading to a major opportunity.

You heard it here first.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

As the economy slows down in 2008, you can be sure that the game will become even tougher. Platinum prices have continued to rise, even when gold and silver took a hit. At some point the pricing for platinum will top out, and when it does (my guess is 2008), I would expect some liquidation of Plats on ebay and elsewhere.

If my scenario does occur, I would also expect even lower mintages next year, which in my mind means an all-time low mintage year. That's my call for the Plat Series. Money will be less plentiful and some will get burned in platinum, leading to a major opportunity.

You heard it here first.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have little doubt that liquidation is already taking place- I've certainly sold some of my higher mintage plats to fund the purchase of lower mintage coins.

I know I'm not the first to wonder if, at some point, we'll be talking about the higher mintage proof plats in terms of surviving population, since they carry virtually no premium to melt as near as I can tell.

I agree that 2008 is likely to be another low mintage year. I could even envision (but would not predict) that 2008 proofs could be lower than 2004.

Still, it is almost impossible for me to imagine that the 2006 w uncirculated coins are vulnerable (assuming that the best guess 2500-3500 numbers hold up), absent something unexpected, like the Mint deciding to end the program early. I think there are too many people tracking the numbers at this point to keep that from happening.

Escalating prices chill the early market, but people will jump in if they see the potential for profit.

If prices increase again in 2008, though, I could imagine that we'll see fewer coins with the "first strike" label, especially on the more expensive $50 and $100 coins, as buyers will be reluctant to commit the money needed to buy early, before the mintage figures start to take shape. Maybe that will increase demand for first strike coins, or maybe it will force people to see that the "first strike" designation makes little sense for coins with such a small population.
    Dan
  • Since we are speculating on the Mint's intentions, here is my take on 30,000 10th Anniv Plat sets:

Each year, they have sold 5-8k of the 1/2oz proofs. Each year, it takes nearly a full year to do so. The mint has gotten an ear-full from angry customers who missed out on the 20th anniv sets. They took a lot of heat early on for the first two wives coins. They manipulated the market (continued taking orders, didn't post the sold out sign, etc) during the sale of the Jefferson Liberty Gold and it had the desired effect (killing the secondary market).

My guess: They are "manipulating" the market again with the Plat anniv sets. I don't believe that they have *ANY* intention of minting 30,000 reverse proofs, or even 30,000 more regular proofs for that matter. I suspect the true mintage might be somewhere in the 5-10k range, but they are advertising 30,000 and 1 per household from the beginning to prevent the overnight spike in price in the secondary market that a flash sell-out would produce.

I might be wrong, but I won't be surprised when sales end well before the 30k mark...

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
    jmski52,

That is a 2007 W PCGS MS70 with a First Strike label. I was very fortunate this year and got nice looking coins from the start! I definitely agree with you on how the 2007 grades will play a major role on the long term value of these coins. As of my last check, 2007 W $50s were grading at 18% in MS70. If the mintages stay below 4,500, 18% MS70 is going to make then evil (like Eric would say!)...
    SORRY DAN!!!

Congrats on that 2003 Platinum Proof Set!!! image
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I cant think of a better word to describe them than "evil"

Kudos to Eric for coining the phrase
  • Evil's Little Brother

• I read an article on Kitco that platinum is expected to outperform gold and may average $1700/oz in 2008, possibly peaking at $1850. I would imagine that high a spot price would severely curtail orders for the 2008 platinum eagles.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    There high now, But why buy from the mint, alot cheeper on the bay.
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!

• << <i>image
    There high now, But why buy from the mint, alot cheeper on the bay. >>

The last time I thought I would try this strategy was in 2004. That cost me over $2k thinking I'd buy it online cheaper than from the mint. I think the 25% price increase for the proof plat from the year before scared me off from buying from the mint.
    I rather buy my Platinum from the Mint first day of release. I am always afraid of waiting because I don't like getting stuck with returns...
    I've asked the forum this question before, and didn't get much response - asking a question about Plats is almost like being in "stealth mode."

The reason I am asking, is simply because I am following the mintages, and there seems to be a potential opportunity in the regular issue Unc. Plats.

The Question - does anyone know who stocks/sells regular issue Plats, preferably as ungraded bullion, in quantity? ModernCoinMart, Ampex, and Scotsman don't really have much. Scotsman is supposedly a Mint Distributor, but when I stopped there a month ago, they had nothing. Anyone?

I knew it would happen.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Have you tried Gaithersburg Coin Exchange, (301) 948-6884? I've bought plats from them in the "way back" and had good experiences with them. I bit the bullet and bought a 1/10 oz graded from APMEX.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
    Gaithersburg Coin Exchange, (301) 948-6884

They are great for straight bullion purchases...
  • Sales Report for 11/27/2007:

PROOF PLATS 2007

$100..2632
    $50....1083
    $25....1170
    $10....2067
    4 SET..3988

2007-W UNC PLATS

How they could sell 120 single isse tenths and never show the coins anything but back ordered is beyond me.

Also the details on the tenth anniversary set will be posted on the mint web site at 9:30AM 11/28/2007.

Best Wishes,

Eric
    How they could sell 120 single isse tenths and never show the coins anything but back ordered is beyond me.

they should change the saying to "lies, damn lies and Mint sales figures."
    Dan
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>They should change the saying to "lies, damn lies and Mint sales figures." >>

Wow! Great post and welcome. The Mint does lie and that is a fact of life. No one can guess what stupid thing the Mint will do next. We who collect moderns are repeatedly abused by the Mint but what can we do? They are not in touch with reality.image
    Well, at least it seems like the $100 is starting to catch up. That's a good sign. Hopefully the mint will announce how many Anniversary sets it intends on selling when they announce the set today.
  • Well the mint confrimed it today! 30,000 10th anniversary sets and one per household. IF there are any plats worth having this year it will be the unc w half because some people will want three coin sets not two and buy the unc-w to go with the 30,000 sets.......

If the flippers are stupid enough to jump all over this 10th ann. set it will be a tribute to the irrationality of the market and they will get what they deserve.

Ericj96
    Announcement of a future DOG, WOOF:

United States Mint Releases Special Set to Commemorate 10th Anniversary of American Eagle Platinum Coin Program
    Set to Include First Platinum Reverse Proof Coin

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint announced today that, beginning December 13, 2007, at 12 noon (ET), it will offer a limited edition, two-coin set to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the American Eagle Platinum Coin Program. Mintage of the American Eagle 10th Anniversary Platinum Coin Set, offered at $1,949.95, is limited to 30,000 sets. Orders will be limited to one set per household. To ensure the broadest and fairest access to this United States Mint product, the order limit will remain in effect for the first seven (7) days of release. Following this initial sales period, the United States Mint will reevaluate and either extend, adjust or lift the limit.

The American Eagle 10th Anniversary Platinum Set will contain one proof coin and one enhanced reverse proof coin, each containing one-half ounce of .9995 platinum. The proof coin features a cameo image floating on a mirror-like background. The enhanced reverse proof coin features a frosted background and a brilliant, mirror-like finish on the raised elements of the coin. This is an enhanced reverse proof version because it is not an exact opposite polish of the regular proof version. The design elements on the enhanced reverse proof platinum coin were strategically selected to feature the proof, mirror-like finish in contrast to frosted background design elements to enhance the entire image.

This is the first time the United States Mint is offering a reverse proof version of the American Eagle Platinum Coin.

Designed and engraved by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver John Mercanti, the obverse of both coins bear the striking image of Lady Liberty, symbolizing vigilance and resolute faithfulness to duty. Inscriptions are "Liberty," "In God We Trust," "E Pluribus Unum" and "2007." United States Mint American Eagle Platinum Proof Coins have featured this design since their debut in 1997.

The coins' reverse was designed by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Master Designer Thomas Cleveland and engraved by United States Mint Medallic Sculptor Phebe Hemphill. Featured on the 2007-dated platinum coins, it is the second design in the three-year series entitled, "The Foundations of American Democracy," and celebrates the Executive Branch of government. The design depicts a bald eagle with its wings spread wide representing freedom, with a shield at the ready to enforce the laws that guarantee those freedoms. Inscriptions on the reverse are "1/2 oz.," ".9995 platinum," "$50," "The United States of America," and "Freedom." The reverse also carries the "W" mintmark denoting production at the United States Mint at West Point.

The American Eagle 10th Anniversary Platinum Set is presented in an elegant hardwood box with a mahogany finish and adorned with a silver foil on the domed lid. The box is highly lacquered, rubbed and buffed to a gloss finish. The coins are exhibited on a specially designed wood platform angled to display the coins when the box is opened. Each set is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity.

The United States Mint will receive orders for the American Eagle 10th Anniversary Platinum Set at its secure Web site, www.usmint.gov, or at the toll-free number, 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Hearing- and speech-impaired customers with TTY equipment may place their orders by calling 1-888-321-MINT (6468) 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday.

Customers who are paying by credit card should ensure that their credit card information remains current to avoid order processing delays. Credit cards that expire before an order is shipped will be cancelled. To update credit card information after an order has been placed, customers should call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

Note: To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, any order placed prior to the official on-sale date and time (December 13, 2007, 12:00 Noon ET) shall not be deemed accepted by the United States Mint and will not be honored.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fail to see any reason AT ALL why the eagle and shield design is on the 10th anniversay reverse proof coin. That design has only been around for one year!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
    What I don't understand is why so many! Do they really think there is a market for 30,000 Reverse Proof Plats?
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    The Mint hasn't got a clue what they are doing. I am simply amazed they can even produce ANY product. Every coin produced is like a miracle.
    This is a non-announcement. What it will do is give the Mint a pretty good idea about the size of the collector base for Plats.

This might actually keep the mintage down, because the flippers will be stewing about the high mintage limit just long enough to realize that whoever wants a set from the get-go will be able to get one.

If you take away the incentives from the flippers, you get right down to the core group. And more importantly, after the collector base is fulfilled, there's just not as much profit to be had.

All of which, is just fine with me.image

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file