Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    Buffalo proof set no longer available. That went from backorder to not available pretty quick.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    If you want to read about gold and precious metals, I would suggest the precious metals forum.
    There is a long running thread (9300+ postings) initiated by Goldsaint which is very interesting.
    There were a number of posts about the premium in the physical gold market versus paper gold.
    Some of the posters to this thread also post to that thread.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think the Mint had moles working over the weekend to pull the red lever that says "product is no longer available."

Ren
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    This is probably a dumb question.

How do you remove the coins from the holder of the Buffalo Gold Proof set?
    I just received my set today. I noticed some minor rim damage on the 1/2 oz coin but can't seem to easily remove all four coins so that I can look at both sides of every coin.

Since it is now sold out, I don't want to return it since I will probably not get a replacement.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boy the plat 1/4's sure are cheap....Plat 1/4 oz >>

Hard to unload them for issue price over a week after they went dark. This certainly does not make me confident in the long term potential of the '08 UNCS!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Hard to unload them for issue price over a week after they went dark. This certainly does not make me confident in the long term potential of the '08 UNCS!! >>

Looks like those Buffaloes are not doing any better.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options

<< <i>

Hard to unload them for issue price over a week after they went dark. This certainly does not make me confident in the long term potential of the '08 UNCS!! >>

Yeah imagine......a whole 7 days without a price spike. Bummer. What's a flipper to do?
    What do you consider as long term............a month??
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yeah imagine......a whole 7 days without a price spike. Bummer. What's a flipper to do?
    What do you consider as long term............a month?? >>

LOL. they will go up soon enough!
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭
    What are the final mintage predictions from board members for the gold buffalo fractional proofs and uncirculated coins?
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

What do you consider as long term............a month?? >>

LOL. they will go up soon enough! >>

Absolutely, I don't know why he disagrees with me that 33% below mint issue isn't cheap...image
  • Options
    Anyone know the final mintages for the 2006-W and 2007-W one ounce PROOF buffalos? If they are both much higher than the expected mintage for the 2008-W, that might explain why the 1-ounce and four-coin sets sold out before the 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz. That is, maybe the 2008-W one-ounce is being perceived as the king for the series.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know the final mintages for the 2006-W and 2007-W one ounce PROOF buffalos? If they are both much higher than the expected mintage for the 2008-W, that might explain why the 1-ounce and four-coin sets sold out before the 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz. That is, maybe the 2008-W one-ounce is being perceived as the king for the series. >>

These are official but from a 3-13-07 NN, 246,000 2006 Proof Buffalo One Ouncers. And from the 12-15-07 NN, 55,265 2007 Gold Proof Buffs. Some ball park numbers. Makes those 2008 numbers look puny.

Ren
  • Options

<< <i>These are official but from a 3-13-07 NN, 246,000 2006 Proof Buffalo One Ouncers. And from the 12-15-07 NN, 55,265 2007 Gold Proof Buffs. Some ball park numbers. Makes those 2008 numbers look puny.

Ren >>

Thanks for the research, Ren. If the 2008s come in at around 20,000 and the 2009 mintage goes back up due to the smaller number of offerings from the Mint, that would be good news for the 2008s.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the research, Ren. If the 2008s come in at around 20,000 and the 2009 mintage goes back up due to the smaller number of offerings from the Mint, that would be good news for the 2008s.

For a lot less money, you can buy a low-mintage complete set of 1/10 ounce Buffalo gold proofs! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>This is probably a dumb question.

I just received my set today. I noticed some minor rim damage on the 1/2 oz coin but can't seem to easily remove all four coins so that I can look at both sides of every coin.

Since it is now sold out, I don't want to return it since I will probably not get a replacement. >>

I have not done it yet but I thought I read on a different thread the preferred way is to use a dremel tool around the edges. Search the threads or wait for one of the experts to verify the best way to do it.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Since it is now sold out, I don't want to return it since I will probably not get a replacement. >>

I have not done it yet but I thought I read on a different thread the preferred way is to use a dremel tool around the edges. Search the threads or wait for one of the experts to verify the best way to do it. >>

If it's anything like the singles, it's alot like a 2X2 coin tray. Just press down on the botton of the coin & the top of the coin will tip up to you.image
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Just press down on the botton of the coin & the top of the coin will tip up to you.

for god's sake, that is correct. there's an indent underneath the coin; when you push down on the bottom part of the casing, the back will lift up. DON'T listen to whoever suggested using a dremel tool, which I hope was a joke!
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have not done it yet but I thought I read on a different thread the preferred way is to use a dremel tool around the edges. Search the threads or wait for one of the experts to verify the best way to do it. >>

If it's anything like the singles, it's alot like a 2X2 coin tray. Just press down on the botton of the coin & the top of the coin will tip up to you.image >>

MF, My fault, I did not read his post closely and thought he was dealing with a slabbed set. Mint holders, just throw them against the wall, image
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I have to admit I got a laugh out of that.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

If it's anything like the singles, it's alot like a 2X2 coin tray. Just press down on the botton of the coin & the top of the coin will tip up to you.image >>

MF, My fault, I did not read his post closely and thought he was dealing with a slabbed set. Mint holders, just throw them against the wall, image >>

Dude: you'd really think of returning a set because you can't get it out of the box ?
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    I've heard it all.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He once sold his house his key was not working so he sold it. Turns out he was at the wrong house. image Just kidding. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Mint responds to pricing criticism.

Reprinted below in full are the bullet points provided by the US Mint:

The United States Mint’s gold, silver, and platinum numismatic coins are intended as collectibles, rather than investment tools. Accordingly, the United States Mint strives to maintain the established prices for these coins throughout the life of the program year.

As a Federal agency, Federal law (31 U.S. C § 9701) requires the United States Mint to base its price for each numismatic product on the production cost to the Government, as well as on the current value of the product to its recipient. Significant increases in the price of gold, silver, or platinum must trigger a pricing review. A review ensures that the Agency establishes a new price that recovers our production costs, and is consistent with the prevailing market value of the product’s precious metal content.

Significant decreases in the price of gold, silver or platinum also trigger internal reviews of our pricing. Where possible, should the price of these metals fall significantly, the United States Mint will attempt to re-adjust their pricing downward. The degree to which the United States Mint can lower its prices is driven primarily by the cost paid for the gold, silver, or platinum that was used in the fabrication of the coins.

The United States Mint is developing a method by which it will be able to adjust the prices of its 2009 numismatic products in a manner that is more responsive to substantial changes in the value of their precious metal content. More details will be available in the coming weeks.

From http://mintnewsblog.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Guys...you may not want to hold a lot of these coins unless you are truly a GAMBLER....Check this out 7over8....from http://mintnewsblog.blogspot.com/

Friday, November 21, 2008
    2008-W Platinum Eagle Sales Figures

With the 2008-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagle 4 Coin Set recently sold out, we can now start to piece together rough numbers for some of the sold out individual coins.

Many collectors have been intensely focusing on these numbers. When the 2008-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagles first went back on sale the numbers were low enough to create the possibility of a new key date for the series.

Listed below are the sales figures for 2008-W Uncirculated and Proof Platinum Eagles. The most recently published Mint Stats from Numismaster contains sales data through November 16. Since the 4 Coin Set sold out a few days after that, the number may still increase slightly from these levels.

The first column displays the amount for the ordering option. The second column displays the total for each coin (individual sales plus 4 coin set sales). Coins which are sold out and no longer available from the US Mint are listed in bold.

2008-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagle Sales Figures

Individual Combined
    1 oz. 669 2,834
    1/2 oz. 1,061 3,226
    1/4 oz. 2,027 4,192
    1/10 oz. 2,504 4,669
    4 Coin Set 2,165 N/A

2008 Proof Platinum Eagle Sales Figures

Individual Combined
    1 oz. 1,865 3,736
    1/2 oz. 927 2,798
    1/4 oz. 1,157 3,028
    1/10 oz. 2,528 4,399
    4 Coin Set 1,871 N/A

The previous key date for the series are the 2006-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagles. For comparison, the mintages for each coin appear below. These amounts are not yet "official mintages" but represent the last release sales figures for that year.

2006-W Uncirculated Platinum Eagle Mintages

Individual Combined
    1 Ounce 1,079 3,068
    1/2 Ounce 588 2,577
    1/4 Ounce 687 2,676
    1/10 Ounce 1,555 3,544
    4 Coin Set 1,989

As you can see, the sold out 2008-W coins all ended up ahead of the 2006-W numbers. However, with mintages below 5,000, the numbers are still quite low. The coins could see some appreciation as collectors seem to be finding a renewed interest in the series. Notably, the 2008-W 1 oz. coin is still below the mintage level of the 2006-W.

Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    Dolley Madison just went "toast" and Van Buren's Liberty is on sale.
  • Options
    Guys...you may not want to hold a lot of these coins unless you are truly a GAMBLER....Check this out 7over8....from http://mintnewsblog.blogspot.com/

Sales figures are not mintage figures. The numbers have been extensively analyzed earlier in this thread, and many believe that the preliminary sales figures exceed actual mintages by a considerable margin, especially the 1/4 ounce and 4-coin sets. No guarantees, but current sales figures are almost certainly not the last word on the burnished plats.

• Options
    So what is the new #?image Doesn't it comes out today?
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    WEEKLY SALES REPORT AS OF THE CLOSE OF BUSINESS 11/23/2008

STATED IN THIS ORDER
    1OZ
    FOUR COIN SET

PROOF PLATS

UNC-W PLATS

PROOF BUFF GOLD

UNC - W BUFF GOLD

GUYS ALL OF 2008 MAY BE A GIFT FOR THOSE THAT CAN HOLD ON LONG TERM

• Options

<< <i>GUYS ALL OF 2008 MAY BE A GIFT FOR THOSE THAT CAN HOLD ON LONG TERM >>

I agree Eric. I think this is a once in a lifetime chance if the mint in fact delivers and does not suspend sales like the Australian mint has done. I have even placed an order for a few AGEs which could also prove to be shockingly low mintages for 2008.
  • Options
    Thanks, it seems like all the SOLD OUT platinum unc's went down. Returns or canceled b/o's, that is the question?image
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I still find it hard to believe that the number of 4-coin unc sets went from 1257 to 2158 in about a week, possibly after the backorder date.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also odd how the gold and unc Buffalos in varying sizes are alternating between lower and higher numbers...usually the proof is higher across the board.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also odd how the gold and unc Buffalos in varying sizes are alternating between lower and higher numbers...usually the proof is higher across the board. >>

Seems to me gold proofs are often purchased as gifts--not as much by serious collectors. Perhaps gift-giving is way off because of the economy. Also, I would suggest that most people who've seen both the uncs and the proofs believe that the uncs are more attractive. I do, anyway, along with friends I've talked to. That would lead to relatively higher unc sales. I'd be curious what other people think.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭
    There must be very, very few 1 oz UNC Plats left.....They should be gone anyday. Maybe any hour.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭
    Eric- Looks like the 4 coin PLAT UNC set is still overstated in your numbers based on when the Mint pulled them from the site? Would you agree with that?
  • Options
    Regarding to Inc plats, it looks like the half may be the real winner. It went "no longer available" at 1257, so allowing for overages probably only 1000 were minted...plus the 1250 in sets should make a new KING at 2250.

FloridaBill
  • Options

Any thoughts on when the 2008 gold eagle fractionals start to go dark...especially the uncs?

And what are the current sales numbers on those (proof and unc) and how do they stack up vs prior years?
  • Options
    PROOF GOLD EAGLES
    4 SET 8870

UNC "W" GOLD EAGLES
    4 SET 1606
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Regarding to Inc plats, it looks like the half may be the real winner. It went "no longer available" at 1257, so allowing for overages probably only 1000 were minted...plus the 1250 in sets should make a new KING at 2250.

FloridaBill >>

Sounds great, except for the fact that the mint continues to post a sales figure of 2150 for the 4-coin set. And even if it is an incorrect value it will not mater, since they are a government agencies and can never admit a mistake, these erroneous values will stand forever.
  • Options
    Well the 2100 may or may not be the real 4 set number and it may take some time but we will come to the bottm of it all even if it takes two years. It is public information.......................
  • Options

<< <i>Any thoughts on when the 2008 gold eagle fractionals start to go dark...especially the uncs?

And what are the current sales numbers on those (proof and unc) and how do they stack up vs prior years? >>

I don't know, but I just ordered 2 more of the BUFF UNC 4 coin sets, 2 of the UNC AGE 4 coin sets and 1 PROOF AGE 4 coin set.

I am loaded for bear on these 2008s! Let's play!
  • Options
    Dolley Madisons went dark earlier, looks like it will be the first First Spouse with less than 40,000 overall mintage.

• Options

<<I don't know, but I just ordered 2 more of the BUFF UNC 4 coin sets, 2 of the UNC AGE 4 coin sets and 1 PROOF AGE 4 coin set.>>

Right now, I'm "In Stock and Reserved" for a second APE Unc 4-coin Set (since 11/13); a second Buff Proof 4-coin set and an Unc 4-coin Buff set (both since 11/21). Hopefully, they'll all be filled.

I'm also backordered for about a month on a couple of Plat 1/4 Uncs...but hope is fading fast on those.

Next month's credit card bill is going to choke a horse!
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i><<I don't know, but I just ordered 2 more of the BUFF UNC 4 coin sets, 2 of the UNC AGE 4 coin sets and 1 PROOF AGE 4 coin set.>>

Right now, I'm "In Stock and Reserved" for a second APE Unc 4-coin Set (since 11/13); a second Buff Proof 4-coin set and an Unc 4-coin Buff set (both since 11/21). Hopefully, they'll all be filled.

I'm also backordered for about a month on a couple of Plat 1/4 Uncs...but hope is fading fast on those.

Next month's credit card bill is going to choke a horse! >>

No it won't, he returns everything that isn't MS70 or PF70 He's one of these on approval guys.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    <<No it won't, he returns everything that isn't MS70 or PF70 He's one of these on approval guys. >>

I've never submitted a coin for a third-party grade and don't pretend to be able to tell the difference between a 69 or a 70...my blood pressure remains lower that way.

I just buy them from the Mint and hold...and hold...and hold.
  • Options

<< <i>No it won't, he returns everything that isn't MS70 or PF70 He's one of these on approval guys. >>

It's a good thing they passed the "don't ask don't tell" for you when you were in the USAF!

Otherwise you would have been OUT OUT OUT!!!

Right GATTY boy?

LMAO!!!
  • Options
    Trying to determine the most valuable 2008 bullion coin kinda reminds me of playing roulette...just freakin' cover every number with a few chips...and you're bound to hit something!!!
  • Options
    Might hit something on almost all of them. With the mints new policy next year that if they can't sell a load of a coin they don't even want to mess with it coming I think we will look back on the 2004-2008 years with fond memories. :-)
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding to Inc plats, it looks like the half may be the real winner. It went "no longer available" at 1257, so allowing for overages probably only 1000 were minted...plus the 1250 in sets should make a new KING at 2250.

FloridaBill >>

DREAM ON!!!! 2006 WILL REMAIN THE KINGS. image
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    2006 or 2008...... one will be king but ALL will be royalty!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file