Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    2501!!!

imageimageimage
    Dan
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭
    The sold out Buffs are hardly setting the world on fire on eBay! 1/10's can be had for $160-190 already slabbed. I have my doubts about them as does the market. I'll stick with the Plat W's. When the numbers are finally set straight look out. Half oz. have to be almost gone......I'd predict next week or two they sell out. In 2006 the Plat's really took off in December/January. I see the writing on wall for the 08-W Plats.......2006 was a very good yearimage
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't even see that one.

Ren

ed4#
  • Options
    The Dolley Madison is still selling past its one year anniversary so they look to sell these for however long it takes to hit maximum mintage it appears. If they do that with all the spouse coins then no low mintages, all will be 20,000 UNC and 20,000 proof. No keys unless the mint goofs.
  • Options
    I agree that the $50 "w" platinum eagle has got to be getting close to sell out.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree that the $50 "w" platinum eagle has got to be getting close to sell out. >>

they just went on backorder, i placed an order for 2.

edited to add: just looked at the track order page and it says expected to ship 12/06.....these are done except a few returns.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
  • Options
    So there we have it folks......the 2008-w platinum eagles are going to be good coins and the mintages are small .....the question is how small? Less than 4,000 halves and quarters is certain but by how much? Less than 4500 dimes isn't bad either!
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Just watch the Half's # go up to 5000 on the next report with all the b/o's.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I placed my bets on the W unc sets and quarters, returning all the halves.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    That is just what I was thinking. It will at least show 4000.
  • Options
    The mint is playing with us, I am not biting. image
  • Options
    the 50 areready backorder now say product will ship 12/6/08 image
    I look for buy one 2006 w ms70 pcgs 50 dollar first strike
  • Options

<< <i>the 50 areready backorder now say product will ship 12/6/08 image >>

Thanks Fez!

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>This is it IMO for the bottom. Barring a depression where even gold and silver don't sell how can these be beat. Anyway this is all my opinon and I may be wrong, but I hope not. Only time will show what happens, and time will help these coins as word spreads of the low mintages. >>

I agree with you 100% except that I must warn you that the risk of a full blown depression is very real.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is it IMO for the bottom. Barring a depression where even gold and silver don't sell how can these be beat. Anyway this is all my opinon and I may be wrong, but I hope not. Only time will show what happens, and time will help these coins as word spreads of the low mintages. >>

I agree with you 100% except that I must warn you that the risk of a full blown depression is very real. >>

What do you mean risk? If you lost your job last week you are in a depression now!

If you still have a job then you are probably talking about the possibility of a recession early next year (ie.. news media).
  • Options
    Follow the thread jackass.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    One thing I haven't seen is sales on the 8-8-8 Double Prosperity set. This will affect sales of the 1/2 oz unc buff and eagle, yes? Anyone have any idea how well these things are selling? Could be very important.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    the point being made time and time again

backorder status began WHEN? on the 1/10, 1/4 and 4 cn sets?

Ahhh.........at 2046, 615, 1257.

Guys, now you know that the sales report is just a running total of orders. Not coins available. Orders.

It is useless.

However, when looking at the point the RED sign goes up, you get a feel for where inventory is........

IMO -

No more than 1000 1/4's and 1/2's.

No more than 2100 1/10's

No more than 1250 4 cn sets.

all sub 06-w.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>the point being made time and time again

Guys, now you know that the sales report is just a running total of orders. Not coins available. Orders.

It is useless.

However, when looking at the point the RED sign goes up, you get a feel for where inventory is........

IMO -

No more than 2100 1/10's

all sub 06-w. >>

Does it really matter as most of us own both the 2006 and 2008 W unc Platinum coins?image
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    GAT

your right, we all own both.

it's just that we have so much fun predicting this......

otherwise, what would we do...? bother the wife?
  • Options
    The Dolley Madison was the final coin of 2007. As soon as the 2008 Seated Liberty design becomes available, the Dolley Madison should be discontinued.
    Audentes fortuna juvat
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭

It is useless.

IMO -

No more than 2100 1/10's

all sub 06-w. >>

I like your #'s. They could be prophetic.
  • Options
    One thing I haven't seen is sales on the 8-8-8 Double Prosperity set. This will affect sales of the 1/2 oz unc buff and eagle, yes? Anyone have any idea how well these things are selling? Could be very important.

I could be wrong, but I don't think those have the "W" mint mark !
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>One thing I haven't seen is sales on the 8-8-8 Double Prosperity set. This will affect sales of the 1/2 oz unc buff and eagle, yes? Anyone have any idea how well these things are selling? Could be very important.

I could be wrong, but I don't think those have the "W" mint mark ! >>

They do have the W mintmark. It's the celebration coin that doesn't have a W mintmark. Yeah, it's confusing.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
  • Options
    So the 08-08 has the W mint mark on the 1/2 oz. buffalo??
    And the 1 oz. $50 celebration doesn't have the W mint mark correct??
  • Options

<< <i>So the 08-08 has the W mint mark on the 1/2 oz. buffalo??
    And the 1 oz. $50 celebration doesn't have the W mint mark correct?? >>

I'm pretty sure ALL of these have a W mint mark. So again, any idea on sales?
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

It is useless.

IMO -

No more than 2100 1/10's

all sub 06-w. >>

Does it really matter as most of us own both the 2006 and 2008 W unc Platinum coins?image >>

What might be interesting is to consider how many of the 2007-W went to the melting pot?
    I know I pulled some 1 oz. and some 1/2s from 4 coin sets. Pricing was such that I cleared the 1/4 and the 1/10s.
  • Options

<< <i>I am pretty sure all the buffaloes are minted at West Point, both the ones with a W and the ones without.

Added: I looked on Ebay and the coin comes in a plastic wrap and doesn't have a W. image >>

this is the bullion version from dealers. w mintmark is sold by the mint.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am pretty sure all the buffaloes are minted at West Point, both the ones with a W and the ones without.

Added: I looked on Ebay and the coin comes in a plastic wrap and doesn't have a W.
    this is the bullion version from dealers. w mintmark is sold by the mint. >>

Wait...I think I see a W in his hair!

More important, doesn't anyone know the %@#$%&amp; sales of the 888 set?????

• Options

<< <i>

Added: I looked on Ebay and the coin comes in a plastic wrap and doesn't have a W. image >>

this is the bullion version from dealers. w mintmark is sold by the mint. >>

This is what I see on Ebay is shipped from the mint in the American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin Set (BA3).

GritsMan the mint doesn't post what the 8 8 8 set sales are so nobody knows.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dolley Madison is still selling past its one year anniversary so they look to sell these for however long it takes to hit maximum mintage it appears. If they do that with all the spouse coins then no low mintages, all will be 20,000 UNC and 20,000 proof. No keys unless the mint goofs.

Current Mint policy is to issue up to 40,000 coins of each type, with unc. and proof mintages determined by number of orders received for each option.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Re the Celebration coin:

"This coin is an American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Bullion Coin and contains one ounce of 24-karat, .9999 fine gold. Each coin is packaged in its traditional protective covering and placed in a bright red, plush-lined gift box with a custom-designed foil-stamped outer sleeve."

I assume from the above that it is the bullion coin without the W mintmark.

• Options
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GAT

otherwise, what would we do...? bother the wife? >>

It really is fun, predicting the numbers on this stuff. I'll really miss all of this in future years. On the one hand I am relieved that I won't be spending a fortune on the Mint plat and gold offerings anymore, but I will miss the fun of the numbers game and looking for that next low mintage key.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Possibly overlooked in the 2008-W plat analysis is the $100 one-ounce coin.

Currently, one-ounce bullion plats dated 2008 and earlier are bringing higher prices on eBay than the Mint's price of $1,069.95.

I think the collector base for one-ounce coins is higher than for the 1/2 ounce and 1/4 ounce fractionals, judging by past proof and burnished mintages.

Something to think about, as the one-ounce is apparently the last burnished plat available on the Mint website.

• Options

<< <i>So the 08-08 has the W mint mark on the 1/2 oz. buffalo??
    And the 1 oz. $50 celebration doesn't have the W mint mark correct?? >>

Correct. BOTH coins in the 08-08 set have the W mint mark. The celebration does not.
  • Options
    For those who were around at the time, were sales of the 06 W plats on Ebay as slow as they are now for the 08 W plats as the 06 Ws began to sell out? You can still get the 08 W quarters for less than issue with the MSN rebate, yet they sit unsold on Ebay.
  • Options
    For those who were around at the time, were sales of the 06 W plats on Ebay as slow as they are now for the 08 W plats as the 06 Ws began to sell out? You can still get the 08 W quarters for less than issue with the MSN rebate, yet they sit unsold on Ebay.

As I recall, the 06 W burnished plats were fairly active on eBay following the Mint sellout. But those were different economic times, and the mintages were super-low compared to earlier issues. Now we have the 2006-W mintages to compare to, the 2006-W burnished plats have come down dramatically in price, and the final mintages of the 2008-W burnished plats are uncertain.

• Options

<< <i>GAT

otherwise, what would we do...? bother the wife? >>

Good one! imageimage
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options

<< <i>THE WEEKLY SALES REPORT IS ORDERS NOT SHIPMENTS-THIS IS FROM THE MINT. >>

Best News I Have Heard All Week! imageimageimage

Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    ship ship date go 1 day up product will ship 12/7/08imageimage
    I look for buy one 2006 w ms70 pcgs 50 dollar first strike
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    1/2 oz unc now on backorder.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I can keep it in the bank for 1-1/2% or buy plat and see what happens you know what I did. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    anyone on backorder has almost no chance of getting any of their orders unless they are in front of the line and only want a few - as they will be getting returns from those with the weakest hands.....

1/4's have been b/o since 10/21, delivery date started at 11/4 and has been ticking 1 day at a time until they finally put up the sold out sign.

no quantities of coins delivered since b/o, but yet they took 1500 more orders.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure this game out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file