Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    I look for buy one 2006 w ms70 pcgs 50 dollar first strike
  • Options

<< <i>anyone on backorder has almost no chance of getting any of their orders unless they are in front of the line and only want a few - as they will be getting returns from those with the weakest hands.....

1/4's have been b/o since 10/21, delivery date started at 11/4 and has been ticking 1 day at a time until they finally put up the sold out sign.

no quantities of coins delivered since b/o, but yet they took 1500 more orders.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure this game out. >>

Platinum Is Best
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

I am curious but how do you know this?
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I am curious but how do you know this? >>

Read the 7th post above yours.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    there were several orders placed by friends of mine at varying intervals after backorder status on the 1/10 and 1/4 unc-w's.

the first 5:30pm, the next few a few hours later, the next on Wed, 10/23 around noon. all are orders of 25-50 coins each for the 1/4.

none of the orders have been filled. not even partially. but, unbelievably, the USM sales report leaps ~1500 coins.

same with the 1/10. orders placed at sellout, hours later, the next day. none filled. again, unbelievably, the USM sales reports leaps ~500 coins.

all orders still backorder status, slipping day by day.

we are waiting for cancellations of all of those orders, or smaller orders to be filled by returns.

in any case, the sales figures should start to show big declines once returns start pouring in, these mostly from speculators (the so called - weak hands) that are not willing to float the purchase beyond one month and not be able to return the items if they hold.

the orders to take the returned items are already in queue, hence the total sales reported should begin to drop. they will only drop by the amount of returns (since the USM has to "cancel" the original order taken because of return)

at some point in the future, orders taken but not filled by returns will be cancelled.

then the sales report should match the net coins minted (as long as all inventory is exhausted)

• Options

<< <i>there were several orders placed by friends of mine at varying intervals after backorder status on the 1/10 and 1/4 unc-w's.

the first 5:30pm, the next few a few hours later, the next on Wed, 10/23 around noon. all are orders of 25-50 coins each for the 1/4.

none of the orders have been filled. not even partially. but, unbelievably, the USM sales report leaps ~1500 coins.

same with the 1/10. orders placed at sellout, hours later, the next day. none filled. again, unbelievably, the USM sales reports leaps ~500 coins.

we are waiting for cancellations of all of those orders, or smaller orders to be filled by returns.

in any case, the sales figures should start to show big declines once returns start pouring in, these mostly from speculators (the so called - weak hands) that are not willing to float the purchase beyond one month and not be able to return the items if they hold.

the orders to take the returned items are already in queue, hence the total sales reported should begin to drop. they will only drop by the amount of returns (since the USM has to "cancel" the original order taken because of return)

at some point in the future, orders taken but not filled by returns will be cancelled.

then the sales report should match the net coins minted (as long as all inventory is exhausted) >>

This is where the Mint could very well screw us all.... like they did in 2006. They could be minting to the demand of the back orders. It is suspected they did that in 2006 and that is why there was a 500 coin jump in the mintage total of the 1 ounce coin. image
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>there were several orders placed by friends of mine at varying intervals after backorder status on the 1/10 and 1/4 unc-w's.

then the sales report should match the net coins minted (as long as all inventory is exhausted) >>

This is where the Mint could very well screw us all.... like they did in 2006. They could be minting to the demand of the back orders. It is suspected they did that in 2006 and that is why there was a 500 coin jump in the mintage total of the 1 ounce coin. image >>

If they do this, I am counting on all of those placing large orders to act for the Common Good and deface all but one of their coins. This should rectify any perfidy on the part of the Mint.

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The US Mint has the blanks on hand and are minting to order. No, I don't have any info to back this up, but sure seems to make sense given what is taking place. Every order placed is driving up the mintage.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The US Mint has the blanks on hand and are minting to order. No, I don't have any info to back this up, but sure seems to make sense given what is taking place. Every order placed is driving up the mintage. >>

All of those orders and backorders are in the total mintage count right now IMO. Watch them drop after the 30 day returns are over. The mint is working on 09 products right now not 08 IMO.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    My plat return was shipped via USPS overnite on Friday, the 21st. It had to be back on the 23rd. This is what I see when checking the USPS tracking:

We attempted to deliver your item at 10:56 AM on November 22, 2008 in MEMPHIS, TN 38118 and a notice was left. You may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice, call the Post Office to arrange for redelivery, or click here for redelivery options. If this item is unclaimed after five business days then it will be returned to sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Anyone else ever see this?

Is it possible I'll get these back from the Mint at which time they would be outside the 30 day return window?
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    ?????
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they do this, I am counting on all of those placing large orders to act for the Common Good and deface all but one of their coins. This should rectify any perfidy on the part of the Mint.

image >>

You want us to do platinum sepuku?!image
  • Options

<< <i>My plat return was shipped via USPS overnite on Thursday, the 21st. It had to be back on the 23rd. This is what I see when checking the USPS tracking:

We attempted to deliver your item at 10:56 AM on November 22, 2008 in MEMPHIS, TN 38118 and a notice was left. You may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice, call the Post Office to arrange for redelivery, or click here for redelivery options. If this item is unclaimed after five business days then it will be returned to sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Anyone else ever see this?

Is it possible I'll get these back from the Mint at which time they would be outside the 30 day return window? >>

'

Do not worry about that...just means they attempted to deliver the coins on a Saturday when the Mint was closed...they will be re-delivered on Monday. image
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they do this, I am counting on all of those placing large orders to act for the Common Good and deface all but one of their coins. This should rectify any perfidy on the part of the Mint.

image >>

You want us to do platinum sepuku?!image >>

Ha! Only in Service to the Emperor!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Guys -

The USM is not minting more, and did not mint more when the plats were re-released in October.

This fabricated "story" is the least likely event that attempts to explain higher sales......hogwash.

Tincup - you absolutely dont know what you are talking about. Blanks on hand? Yeah, lets just hold a couple thousand more planchets and expose ourselves to PLAT PM movements....especially when it was $2000+ per oz when the USM bought their planchets.....!!! Are you kidding me....think about it....

They stated clearly "we are selling REMAINING stock" when coins were offered again for sale in October. This was CONFIRMED AGAIN when the USM stated that the remaining Plat Unc-W's were to be discontinued and remaining stock sold.

BTW, all you guys who believe this bs, if they minted more, why haven't all the coins been shipped? They can run another 1000 coins in one day.

They are always busy in Oct/Nov/Dec minting 09 bullion products to be released very early in January.
  • Options
    Me personally.... Just being cautious is all...I do like what you have to say...just trying to cover all possibilities. Thanks for the input! image
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

• Options
    IMO -

Halfstrike - the sets went b/o at 1257. So 1400 is a little rich for sets in your estimate.

I believe that 1/4 and 1/2 were minted to the tune of 1000 coins. I could possibly buy 1250, but that would seem unreasonable given it equals last years sales in a better market with less material cost.
  • Options
  • Options

• Options
    I believe the 4 cn set numbers we rec'd we as of the day they went b/o. Eric confirmed that was the case. 1257.
  • Options
    i seen the 4 coin set on backorder before they went off for repricing on that thursday (nov 13 2:00pm est) i think someone else seen that also, then they came back for a short time friday.
  • Options
    "Tuesday November 18, 2008 11:25 AM

Mine is In Stock and Reserved...from the day it went back on sale at the lower price last week.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not cancelled! "

That is from someone that bought it the day it went back up for sale so IMO they were still selling for the week past the 1257 number. But we will see eventually.
  • Options
    LittleEagle I think you are right, the 4 coin sets went backorder the morning they pulled the coins for repricing, then after repricing they came back without backorder status. So they did sell past 1257 IMO. Some purchased them at repricing and then they went backorder. Confusing but they went backorder twice, one before repricing and once after. Still there were sales past 1257 IMO.
  • Options
    just trying to help pin point the #, thanks for all the updates!!
  • Options
    backorder, better hurry,
    2008 American Buffalo Gold Proof Four-Coin Set (BE8)

Price: $2,005.45 Qty. More Info.

Product will be available for shipping 12/08/2008
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Wow - a seller on ebay is selling two complete Platinum Eagle Proof Sets from 1997-2006 with OGP.

APE 97-06 sets

Also there are six 2006-W platinum sets for sale on ebay ranging in price $4,195.95 - $10,995,95 with some in PCGS-69, PCGS-70, NGC-70 grades.
    2006-W APE sets
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " Tincup - you absolutely dont know what you are talking about. Blanks on hand? Yeah, lets just hold a couple thousand more planchets and expose ourselves to PLAT PM movements....especially when it was $2000+ per oz when the USM bought their planchets.....!!! Are you kidding me....think about it.... "

LOL..... yeah, maybe you're right. But one thing I do know is that the US Mint cannot always be predicted as to what they will do. That was all I intended with the post; be prepared to be surprised and/or disappointed. Do I really think there are buckets of plat planchets on the shelves at the Mint? Of course not.

Anyways.... we each place our bets as we see fit. To each their own..... (I like the buffs myself).
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Those of you that want the 4 coin unc-w buffalo set need to get with it now!

The Mint has told us that the $50 gold buffalo is going to survive next years purge. Lets assume this is correct.

2006 $50 mint state finish buffalo......323,000 coins
    2007 $50 mint state finish buffalo......167,000 coins
    2008 $50 mint state finish buffalo......200,000* coins
    2008-W $50 mint state finish buffalo....25,000* coins
    2009 $50 mint state finish buffalo......225,000* coins
    2010 $50 mint state finish buffalo......167,000*coins
    2011 $80 mint state finish buffalo......200,000* coins

Do you guys see it? We are looking at a multi year run thats going to have huge total series pops in the midst of it all is going to be a small number of "2008-w" key dates. The only thing that might hurt the 2008-w is if the series one day goes to changing reverse it could becomes a type coin. If that happens date and mint mark do not matter as much.

Bottom line is most of the time when you buy a 4 coin set to get the fractionals the big coin is dead weight. This time its not clear to me that the big coin is dead weight at all. It may carry its weight just fine then some. What most do not grasp is the 2008-w $50 mint state buffalo my be its series 1995 -W silver eagle.

The problem with the $50 proof buffalo is its not going to have a drastic mintage advantage over the proof buffs of the coming years so the opportunity for collector base compression does not look that great.

Thanks

Ericj96

• Options
    Guys -

IMO

1250 sets.

You say a few more.

We'll see soon.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wavering. Can I afford it? Yeah, but should I? I love the design - always have, since getting worn out, undated Buffs for milk money way back when (and skipping milk those days!).

I bit. 4 coin Unc Buff "In stock and reserved". Let's see what happens...
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those of you that want the 4 coin unc-w buffalo set need to get with it now!

The Mint has told us that the $50 gold buffalo is going to survive next years purge. Lets assume this is correct.

Do you guys see it? We are looking at a multi year run thats going to have huge total series pops in the midst of it all is going to be a small number of "2008-w" key dates. The only thing that might hurt the 2008-w is if the series one day goes to changing reverse it could becomes a type coin. If that happens date and mint mark do not matter as much.

Bottom line is most of the time when you buy a 4 coin set to get the fractionals the big coin is dead weight. This time its not clear to me that the big coin is dead weight at all. It may carry its weight just fine then some. What most do not grasp is the 2008-w $50 mint state buffalo my be its series 1995 -W silver eagle.

The problem with the $50 proof buffalo is its not going to have a drastic mintage advantage over the proof buffs of the coming years so the opportunity for collector base compression does not look that great.

Thanks

Ericj96 >>

Hi Eric-

Per The Mint press release, CW article, et. al., this is the last year for ALL UNC Buffs. ONLY the Proof 1 oz is to be minted in the future. Why then do you list mintages in future years?

Thanks.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow - a seller on ebay is selling two complete Platinum Eagle Proof Sets from 1997-2006 with OGP.

APE 97-06 sets

Also there are six 2006-W platinum sets for sale on ebay ranging in price $4,195.95 - $10,995,95 with some in PCGS-69, PCGS-70, NGC-70 grades.
    2006-W APE sets >>

This is why it is so important for the 08s to have a mintage 1 coin lower than the 06s. It would immediately establish a minimum pricing structure for the brand new 08's without having to wait a few years.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Those of you that want the 4 coin unc-w buffalo set need to get with it now!

Thanks

Ericj96 >>

Hi Eric-

Per The Mint press release, CW article, et. al., this is the last year for ALL UNC Buffs. ONLY the Proof 1 oz is to be minted in the future. Why then do you list mintages in future years?

Thanks. >>

ANSWER: BECAUSE THE $50 BULLION MINT STATE FINISH BUFF IS GOING TO CONTINUE. THE $2008-W BUFF IS A MINT STATE FINISH WITH A MINT MARK.
  • Options
    alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Hi Eric,

I believe I am a bit confused regarding the "mint state finish" terminology. Would it be correct if I were to summarize as follows:

The only buffalo that can be purchased directly from the Mint, for the collectors, will be the One Ounce Proof. That is, all the Uncirculated-W buffalos and all the proof fractionl buffalos are discontinued.

Thanks,

Al
  • Options
    RIGHT BUT THE BULLION $50 BUFF WILL CONTINUE.
  • Options
    It's kind of interesting how the 4-coin buff proof set went backordered before the 1/4 and 1/2 ouncers. Isn't the set usually the last to sell out? If an individual coin sold out, you could always order the set if you really wanted one. Well, you're out of luck now if you wanted the 1/10 oz or the 1 oz. Those are now gone for good. I wonder why that happened.

If I was a betting man, I would never have thought the 1/4 ouncer would be one of the two remaining items that are still available, since it most closely matches the size of a buffalo nickel.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>RIGHT BUT THE BULLION $50 BUFF WILL CONTINUE. >>

eric, which mintmark does this coin carry? thanks, kevin
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    Well i just bit and ordered the 4 coin unc. Buff set.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $$$ well spent it's all up hill from her. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    The common sold to dealers buff $50 mintstate finish bullion has no mint mark.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Unc W Plat 1/2s are no longer on backorder. They be officially dark as of a couple minutes ago...
  • Options
    Word has it there is a world wide movement to buy up all precious metals. Gold and silver way up today. This may speed up the mint selling out of the plats and buffs etc.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Word has it there is a world wide movement to buy up all precious metals. Gold and silver way up today. This may speed up the mint selling out of the plats and buffs etc. >>

And where may I ask did you hear that??image
  • Options

<< <i>Word has it there is a world wide movement to buy up all precious metals. Gold and silver way up today. This may speed up the mint selling out of the plats and buffs etc. >>

He is right. There is, and it will.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Word has it there is a world wide movement to buy up all precious metals. Gold and silver way up today. This may speed up the mint selling out of the plats and buffs etc. >>

<<And where may I ask did you hear that?? >>

Actually both Barron's and the WSJ had stories on the increase in PM prices as more of the public is/has become alarmed that the financial crises is not getting better...and may actually be getting worse. And one of them in particular mentioned the disconnect between the spot price and the inability to get the physical metal for anything near spot.

So there IS talk out there...
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Boy the plat 1/4's sure are cheap....Plat 1/4 oz
  • Options
    All financial websites have articles about this being 4th straight day of rapid increases in Gold, silver et al.
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Boy the plat 1/4's sure are cheap...

Wow! That has to hurt!!!
  • Options
    I was reading on the "Market Watch" website. . The forums will not let me post the website because of a forbidden word in it.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file