Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    For some information about platinum and palladium futures. a quick read image
    http://www.gold-eagle.com/gold_digest_08/gnazzo062208.html
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

• << <i>

<< <i> Would you think your set is complete without the 2007 reverse proof? >>

I consider the reverse proof as part of my $50 proof collection and was surprised that it is not required in my registry set of such.

On May 27th, I sent the following e-mail to BJ Searls, the Set Registry Manager:

Hi BJ,

Will the half-ounce platinum reverse proofs ever
    become part of the composition for the half-ounce
    Platinum Eagles proof sets?
    As the 2006 silver reverse proofs are a required coin
    in the Silver Eagles proof sets, it seems inconsistent
    that the 2007 platinum reverse proofs are not required
    in the half-ounce Platinum Eagles proof sets.

Regards,

Don

Her reply was as follows:

Hi Don,

We are not sure at this point. We are going to run a poll on this issue
    in a week or two. Thanks.

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Manager
    512.420-8805 Fax

Since it has now been more than two weeks without a poll, perhaps some here can pester,.. err question her about this. It sure would help the reverse proofs if they were required in the registry sets like the silver ones are.

BJ's e-mail addy is:

BSearls@collectors.com >>

Anyone else receive the e-mail to participate in the poll? image

EricJ, Looks like we succeeded! image
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Just noting that 2008 $50 proof plat sales are STILL below 1,000--the only one left under that number, according to new NN results. I find that quite remarkable, especially since Louisa Adams unc sales hit almost 2,000 right off the bat. I know, apples and oranges, but still, these high prices just seem to have sucked the wind out of plat sales.

On another note, maybe this has already been done, but it might be useful to compile a list of good plat sellers. So far, I've had good experiences with:

APMEX
    MODERN COIN MART (though I think a bit overpriced)
    eBay (especially Richard's Coins)

Anyone else have other dealers who keep a good supply of quality material at fair prices?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just noting that 2008 $50 proof plat sales are STILL below 1,000--the only one left under that number, according to new NN results. I find that quite remarkable, especially since Louisa Adams unc sales hit almost 2,000 right off the bat. I know, apples and oranges, but still, these high prices just seem to have sucked the wind out of plat sales.

On another note, maybe this has already been done, but it might be useful to compile a list of good plat sellers. So far, I've had good experiences with:

APMEX
    MODERN COIN MART (though I think a bit overpriced)
    eBay (especially Richard's Coins)

Anyone else have other dealers who keep a good supply of quality material at fair prices? >>

Wayne Herndon Rare Coins. Great dealer, very fair prices and a pleasure to deal with.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    All 2008 platinum proofs are now marked unavailable. It looks like they are going to increase the prices. I assume they are doing this because of the pending release of the Uncs and they want to have a certain spread between the price of the proofs and the uncs.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

<< <i>All 2008 platinum proofs are now marked unavailable. It looks like they are going to increase the prices. I assume they are doing this because of the pending release of the Uncs and they want to have a certain spread between the price of the proofs and the uncs. >>

Thanks for the heads-up! This is great news for us proof collectors who are hoping 2008 becomes the KING. I, personally, think it will--at least until everyone figures out there are only 67 2002s that survived the melting pot!
  • Theory:

Maybe they just ran out of resale coins that had been sold once and returned to them and they are ordering more platinum for another production run?

Does this make sense?
    Hm... That doesn't seem likely to me. Usually, the mint would just put them on backorder or something until they'd minted enough. Also, it seems unlikely they would have run out all at the same time like this. I'm guessing a repricing is in the works and have my fingers crossed the Unc-Ws are on their way. I bet we'll find out soon.
    Just spoke to the Mint Cust. Svc. Rep. She said that the plat proofs are pulled for repricing and will definitely be back.

She also said that the Uncs, which go on sale tomorrow will be priced as follows: 2349, 1999, 619, 259 and 4289 (OUCH!) for the four coin set.

Who's going to be digging very, very deep to spring for these?

I wonder how high the proofs will be repriced?

Is this the last year for the plats.??

<< <i>Just spoke to the Mint Cust. Svc. Rep. She said that the plat proofs are pulled for repricing and will definitely be back.

She also said that the Uncs, which go on sale tomorrow will be priced as follows: 2349, 1999, 619, 259 and 4289 (OUCH!) for the four coin set.

Is this the last year for the plats.?? >>

No friggin' WAY! That half-ounce price has GOT to be a mistake. More like $1199??? The other prices look in the ballpark.
    My guess for the repriced proofs is 289/659/1359/2449. The old prices were 269/609/1174/2299. I think the 4-coin proof set will be 4499 (was 4119). I'm assuming a spot price of $2050/oz.

Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    Okay, fortunately that 1/2-oz price was a mistake, so who is buying?

I note that the Mint is pushing the 1/4-ounce coin on the website, an acknowledgement that almost no one is going to be able to afford anything bigger. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the half for now, though, maybe the quarter later...

Others?

Edited to Add: Took the plunge. Whoo-weeeeee!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, of COURSE I am buying. I'm just not sure if I can afford it. This is the first time I haven't had enough money ready to deploy when they've come out.image

Times are hard when jmski starts waffling on what is probably going to be a low mintage issue.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Well, of COURSE I am buying. I'm just not sure if I can afford it. This is the first time I haven't had enough money ready to deploy when they've come out.image

Times are hard when jmski starts waffling on what is probably going to be a low mintage issue. >>

Sometimes, the Universe provides, so keep the faith. I didn't see how I was going to do this, but yesterday got an unexpected check in the mail. Yesterday, an atheist. Today, I've got religion! image
  • Just ordered 2 of the 1/2 oz w-uncs. I hope they are nice. I had to go through 12 of the proof 1/2 ounce coins until I found one that I liked enough to keep. All of the others had LOTS of dings on them. Where is the QC?!?

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/4 oz 4 me.

Will the uncs be lower in mintage than the current proofs?

Ren

<< <i>1/4 oz 4 me.

Will the uncs be lower in mintage than the current proofs?

Ren >>

I'm guessing they'll be very similar, with the proofs maybe a little higher, but both very low.

<< <i>

<< <i>Just spoke to the Mint Cust. Svc. Rep. She said that the plat proofs are pulled for repricing and will definitely be back.

Is this the last year for the plats.?? >>

No friggin' WAY! That half-ounce price has GOT to be a mistake. More like $1199??? The other prices look in the ballpark. >>

Oops! Very sorry! It's of course $1199.

<< <i>Okay, fortunately that 1/2-oz price was a mistake, so who is buying? >>

Still waffling on this one. I have a four coin set of the 06W's in PCGS 70 FS, and raw set of the '07Ws and I was certain that I would buy a set of the '08W's and then get out. I collect the Proof quarters and halves as well. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on this set. Just too much $. Of course if most others feel this way, then the sales could be very, very low, yada, yada, yada...With the likely low mintage of the '08 proofs, I was thinking about a set of those as well when they're back. Over $8K for both of course. It's a lot of $ to bet on rarity.
    Still waffling on this one. I have a four coin set of the 06W's in PCGS 70 FS, and raw set of the '07Ws and I was certain that I would buy a set of the '08W's and then get out. I collect the Proof quarters and halves as well. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on this set. Just too much $. Of course if most others feel this way, then the sales could be very, very low, yada, yada, yada...With the likely low mintage of the '08 proofs, I was thinking about a set of those as well when they're back. Over $8K for both of course. It's a lot of $ to bet on rarity.

Raufus, to put things into perspective - that is how I've felt every single year that I've bought Plats with the expectation that mintages were inevitably going lower. Incidentally, I was right every time, and I've never regretted buying any of those Plats from 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. Those were ALL low mintage years in relation to the previous years in the series.

But, you're right of course about the $8,000+ being alot to bet on rarity. And, one of these days, platinum won't be a sure bet to keep going straight up. In the final analysis, I always assume that if it is tough for me to do it, it's tough for everyone else, too. That's when the mintages are low.image

In search of the Modern King..........to be continued...........

I knew it would happen.
  • NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Another factor to keep in mind is that as of yesterday PCGS won't be allowing non-dealers to get First Strike labels. That would probably push the flippers out of the market since green slab 70s usually don't command the same premiums as FS 70s...
  • I don't think there will be many FSs at all. I know I am going to be satisfied grading mine as non-FS. I have no intention of buying from a dealer or taking mine to a dealer to have graded.
    If the coin can't make it on it's own without a label, then it's really not worth paying a premium for anyway.

It's a label. It has nothing to do with the coin, which is still the biggest irony of all.

I knew it would happen.
    My intensions are to buy my own and get them graded myself (with or without labels) as well. These past few years I have been sorting my own before I send them in for grading. I still believe that PCGS new restriction on labels will keep a lot of flippers away from trying to get a quick flip on these coins (which is a great thing)...

Less flippers, less coins sold for the hell of it, lower mintages...
  • The way that I am kind of seeing this going is that many wont want to spend the cash for 2008s. This sounds like it should be the time to buy then if the funds are avail. Think the $10 plats are a good buy?
  • Also, how does everyone feel about collecting the $5 gold. Is this a series that is "underwater" or will it be profitable in the future?

<< <i>Also, how does everyone feel about collecting the $5 gold. Is this a series that is "underwater" or will it be profitable in the future? >>

IMHO, if you like the "baby coins", you should collect them--but not expect any appreciation beyond bullion. They're are just too many of them out there. OTOH, they also probably have the largest collector base. Still, I don't see them going very far.

<< <i>Still waffling on this one. I have a four coin set of the 06W's in PCGS 70 FS, and raw set of the '07Ws and I was certain that I would buy a set of the '08W's and then get out. I collect the Proof quarters and halves as well. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on this set. Just too much $. Of course if most others feel this way, then the sales could be very, very low, yada, yada, yada...With the likely low mintage of the '08 proofs, I was thinking about a set of those as well when they're back. Over $8K for both of course. It's a lot of $ to bet on rarity.

Raufus, to put things into perspective - that is how I've felt every single year that I've bought Plats with the expectation that mintages were inevitably going lower. Incidentally, I was right every time, and I've never regretted buying any of those Plats from 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. Those were ALL low mintage years in relation to the previous years in the series.

But, you're right of course about the $8,000+ being alot to bet on rarity. And, one of these days, platinum won't be a sure bet to keep going straight up. In the final analysis, I always assume that if it is tough for me to do it, it's tough for everyone else, too. That's when the mintages are low.image

In search of the Modern King..........to be continued........... >>

jmski52-

Thanks for your great post. Alright, I'll trudge down to the Mint's store in D.C. next week and buy the set (this way I can examine the set before buying and thus eliminate having to send it back if it's not perfect - and for this $$ I expect PERFECT!). I make a pretty good living. As you note, if this is giving me pause it must be doing that for many others. If, this is the last of the series and they sell it forever, I'll most likely be able to get much of my $ back in bullion if I want to sell. What will the wife say when I put over $8K into plats. this year :-(

<< <i>

<< <i>Still waffling on this one. I have a four coin set of the 06W's in PCGS 70 FS, and raw set of the '07Ws and I was certain that I would buy a set of the '08W's and then get out. I collect the Proof quarters and halves as well. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on this set. Just too much $. Of course if most others feel this way, then the sales could be very, very low, yada, yada, yada...With the likely low mintage of the '08 proofs, I was thinking about a set of those as well when they're back. Over $8K for both of course. It's a lot of $ to bet on rarity.

jmski52-

Thanks for your great post. Alright, I'll trudge down to the Mint's store in D.C. next week and buy the set (this way I can examine the set before buying and thus eliminate having to send it back if it's not perfect - and for this $$ I expect PERFECT!). I make a pretty good living. As you note, if this is giving me pause it must be doing that for many others. If, this is the last of the series and they sell it forever, I'll most likely be able to get much of my $ back in bullion if I want to sell. What will the wife say when I put over $8K into plats. this year :-( >>

Don't count on the Mint store having these. I've been several times when they didn't have the plats. Maybe someone here knows...

<< <i>

<< <i>

jmski52-

Thanks for your great post. Alright, I'll trudge down to the Mint's store in D.C. next week and buy the set (this way I can examine the set before buying and thus eliminate having to send it back if it's not perfect - and for this $$ I expect PERFECT!). I make a pretty good living. As you note, if this is giving me pause it must be doing that for many others. If, this is the last of the series and they sell it forever, I'll most likely be able to get much of my $ back in bullion if I want to sell. What will the wife say when I put over $8K into plats. this year :-( >>

Don't count on the Mint store having these. I've been several times when they didn't have the plats. Maybe someone here knows... >>

GritsMan-

When I was there a month or so ago searching for 2008 ASE w/07 Rev. they had the plat proofs. I wish that I had bought a 4 coin plat set then! They had them both at the D.C. store as well as the Union Station Kiosk. I'll certainly call before I go to check stock.

Thanks!
    What's the address for the mint store in DC?
    That's great they're carrying the plats. Good luck!

Neo, the store is really just a kiosk, inside Union Station if we're talking about the same thing. It's fun to go down there. If only they carried original bags of CC dollars!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    The only coins I bought from the kiosk in Union Station was the 1999 Silver Proof Set. I do check them out sometimes when I am down that way.
    They do have the Plat. UNCS. I called them today and checked.

I don't know the street address off hand, but it is on the Mint web site along with the phone number.

There are TWO D.C. U.S. Mint retail locations: A Kiosk at Union Station and a Retail Sales counter at the Mint office. Info about both are on the Mint web site. If I were computer saavy enough.

I meant to say that I would link to the info about the retail locations if I were computer saavy enough (I have to proofread!)

I'm puzzled they haven't put the proofs back on sale again. It would seem a minor thing to reprice and repost. Anyone have any inside scoop?

<< <i>There are TWO D.C. U.S. Mint retail locations: A Kiosk at Union Station and a Retail Sales counter at the Mint office. Info about both are on the Mint web site. If I were computer saavy enough. >>

Here ya go.

United States Mint Kiosk, Washington, DC.

While the Mint does not have a production facility at its headquarters in Washington, D.C, there is a sales kiosk located in Union Station. The next time you are in town, feel free to stop by and see some of the interesting products that the Mint is now selling. The kiosk offers the latest commemorative and annual coins, the popular new quarters, collector maps, medals, and a variety of coin jewelry. Purchases can be made by cash, checks, and most major credit cards. The kiosk is located in the Main Hall (East End) of Union Station, 50 Massachusetts Avenue, N.E., Washington, D.C. 20002. The hours of operation are: Monday-Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.; and Sunday, 12:00 noon - 6:00 p.m. Please call (202) 289-0609 to inquire about directions, or products available at this location. All other calls should be directed to the Mint's Office of Public Affairs at 202-354-7227.

United States Mint Sales Counter, Washington, DC.

The United States Mint recently opened a second retail sales outlet in Washington, DC, located in the lobby of the United States Mint headquarters at 801 9th Street, N.W. The headquarters building is conveniently located one block south of the Washington Convention Center and close to the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro station. Among other coin products, the Headquarters Sales Counter offers the latest commemorative and annual coins, the most recently issued state quarters, collector maps and medals. Hours of operation are Monday — Friday, 10:00 a.m. — 4:00 p.m.; and closed weekends and holidays. Please call (202) 354-6800 to inquire about directions or product availability at this location.
    1/2-ounce plat proofs still under 1,000!

1 oz 1135
    1/2 443
    1/4 565
    1/10 1040
    4-coin sets 522
    (must add sets to individuals for totals)

Also interesting that Louisa Adams seems to be keeping pace with Monroe.
    proofs = 3766
    uncs = 2187
    What do y'all think "ultra low" will be for first spouse? Is 3-4000 as low as they'll go in uncs?

No numbers on plat unc-Ws yet!
  • RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm puzzled they haven't put the proofs back on sale again. It would seem a minor thing to reprice and repost. Anyone have any inside scoop? >>

Does *anything* they do seem to make sense?

<< <i>Also interesting that Louisa Adams seems to be keeping pace with Monroe.
    proofs = 3766
    uncs = 2187
    What do y'all think "ultra low" will be for first spouse? Is 3-4000 as low as they'll go in uncs? >>

I guess that the quesion with the FS coins is will they just sell them forever or cut them with low numbers. Anyone know?
  • 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Just got email........my 2008 unc. plats are shipped.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Are Mint proof plat sales figures available to the public? If so, where? Does the Mint deduct returns?

Thanks in advance.

• << <i>I guess that the quesion with the FS coins is will they just sell them forever or cut them with low numbers. Anyone know? >>

The mint has previously stated that the the First Spouse coins will remain on sale for a period of 1 year from date of issue or until sold out...
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
    A $50 raw 2008 Plat proof sold earlier today on ebay for less than issue. Wish I had snagged it :-(
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    tttt
    Very few 2008 plats being offered for sale on the Bay. Is this an indication the flippers are staying away?

<< <i>Very few 2008 plats being offered for sale on the Bay. Is this an indication the flippers are staying away? >>

Hard to imagine there would be any flipper incentive here as high prices have crushed the collector base. I'll bet a few jump in at the end of the season (whenever that may be) and mintages still look low. Even as a collector, I have my doubts these plats will do anything for a long, long time. I just like 'em!

<< <i>

<< <i>Very few 2008 plats being offered for sale on the Bay. Is this an indication the flippers are staying away? >>

Hard to imagine there would be any flipper incentive here as high prices have crushed the collector base. I'll bet a few jump in at the end of the season (whenever that may be) and mintages still look low. Even as a collector, I have my doubts these plats will do anything for a long, long time. I just like 'em! >>

May be opportunities, such as that which I mentioned above, to pick them up at below orig. issue. Of course, the major risk is that they sell them forever and the base metal goes down.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hard to imagine there would be any flipper incentive here as high prices have crushed the collector base. I'll bet a few jump in at the end of the season (whenever that may be) and mintages still look low. Even as a collector, I have my doubts these plats will do anything for a long, long time. I just like 'em! >>

May be opportunities, such as that which I mentioned above, to pick them up at below orig. issue. Of course, the major risk is that they sell them forever and the base metal goes down. >>

That's the risk for the flippers, but not for the rest of us. The base metal would have to drop a LOT for the Mint to lower its prices, and if the prices stay high, the mintages will stay low. Great for crowning 2008 the new King of the series!
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Platinum prices may drop, but I wouldn't count on it.

Possible miners strike

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file