Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Those are actually higher then I would have figured..... >>

Yes but how many were returned, it sounds like a good number judging from this board. >>

How can any have been returned at this point? They just started shipping them last week!image >>

Well do a little reading on this board about the quality of the coins recieved. I get a bad coin from the mint and it's gone the next day. I didn't order mine for over a week after they first came out and mine came the first of this week. Those coins that were ordered are out there and on the way home at the price one of these babies cost.

If you collected these you'd know that the best coins are purchased up front. If you wait to return them you seems to get the rejects in your next shipment until those are gone. Disagree if you must but I've been collecting these since 1999 but really didn't start with getting every year until 2002.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Those are actually higher then I would have figured..... >>

Yes but how many were returned, it sounds like a good number judging from this board. >>

How can any have been returned at this point? They just started shipping them last week!image >>

Well do a little reading on this board about the quality of the coins recieved. I get a bad coin from the mint and it's gone the next day. I didn't order mine for over a week after they first came out and mine came the first of this week. Those coins that were ordered are out there and on the way home at the price one of these babies cost.

If you collected these you'd know that the best coins are purchased up front. If you wait to return them you seems to get the rejects in your next shipment until those are gone. Disagree if you must but I've been collecting these since 1999 but really didn't start with getting every year until 2002. >>

I don't know the quality of the one's I've received. I've never bothered to open them.image
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Re: question. Yes, those numbers include the 4-coin sets, which sold 200. So only 63 people ordered individual 1/2-oz plats.

BTW, these numbers probably don't include returns yet, but I'm sure a lot of returns are winging their way back to the Mint. I returned mine yesterday and hope I get something nicer back. I wonder if Mint employees make any special effort to pick nice coins for people who return their pock-marked specimens?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    08 plat proofs are still unavailable. I notice Ebay sellers have adjusted their prices because of this. I wonder what's up. Would the Mint just pull the product after this very short offering period?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    We can dream, but I don't think so.

• << <i>08 plat proofs are still unavailable. I notice Ebay sellers have adjusted their prices because of this. I wonder what's up. Would the Mint just pull the product after this very short offering period? >>

This one Could be a steal @ anywhere near the starting price!

I'm watching it, but already bought this one two months ago.
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    The Mint says it doesn't like to adjust prices down. Therefore, if platinum goes up, the Mint prices the proofs higher and there is limited interest because of the extremely high price (oh, and the fact that the economy sucks--resulting in fewer buyers...and the reality that plats are unloved anyway). If platinum goes down, the Mint may just pull the proofs and the unc's won't sell well at their current price.

JMO

What does the Mint do with unsold coins? Do they melt them, or keep selling until they're gone?
    As the year goes on everyone will jump in if they stay low. That's what may happen all the way up to November which at that time the mint more than likely wouldn't make another batch since they will be busy on next years designs and the holidays. It's a wait and see isn't it and if you wait you might not be able to get a good example of the year.

<< <i>What are people seeing so far with the unc-Ws? The 1/2-ounce gold unc-w I ordered also has a little flake or ding on the reverse field. First time I've had problems with my Mint orders, but I guess I've been lucky. >>

My 1/4 oz unc-W has a major hairline scratch on the obverse between the I and B in LIBERTY and extending into Liberty's crown. This one is definitely going back. I also notice the 1/10 oz has a much lower relief than the other denominations, making it look like a weak strike.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the Microsoft discount over? I tried the instructions in puritan9's post. It got me to ebay but no discount was apparent? Thanks for any info!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are people seeing so far with the unc-Ws? The 1/2-ounce gold unc-w I ordered also has a little flake or ding on the reverse field. First time I've had problems with my Mint orders, but I guess I've been lucky.

My comments on the 2008-W Uncs:

I received my (2) Unc Sets today, and one of them is already on it's way back to the Mint. One of the 1 ozers had a scratch on Liberty's nose; one of the 1/2 ozers had a scratch next to Liberty's eye, and one of the 1/10th ozers had a scratch on the eagle's podium on the reverse. For $4,000+, I'd expect no scratches, period.

All of these scratches were noticeable to the naked eye, and they had some depth, i.e. they weren't just hairlines - they were gouges or scratches.

Like another poster previously mentioned, both of the 1/10th ozers seemed to be very weakly struck, as if they reduced the number of strikes used, and the design was not brought up to normal relief.

On the plus side, I felt that most of the coins had a better finish compared to the 2007 coins, i.e. - they had better "frost" that didn't have alot of weak areas or uneven sheen, like the 2007s that I received did.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>What are people seeing so far with the unc-Ws? The 1/2-ounce gold unc-w I ordered also has a little flake or ding on the reverse field. First time I've had problems with my Mint orders, but I guess I've been lucky.

My comments on the 2008-W Uncs:

I received my (2) Unc Sets today, and one of them is already on it's way back to the Mint. One of the 1 ozers had a scratch on Liberty's nose; one of the 1/2 ozers had a scratch next to Liberty's eye, and one of the 1/10th ozers had a scratch on the eagle's podium on the reverse. For $4,000+, I'd expect no scratches, period.

All of these scratches were noticeable to the naked eye, and they had some depth, i.e. they weren't just hairlines - they were gouges or scratches.

Like another poster previously mentioned, both of the 1/10th ozers seemed to be very weakly struck, as if they reduced the number of strikes used, and the design was not brought up to normal relief.

On the plus side, I felt that most of the coins had a better finish compared to the 2007 coins, i.e. - they had better "frost" that didn't have alot of weak areas or uneven sheen, like the 2007s that I received did. >>

No idea of why you guys get the Mint's wrath and have to return platinum coins. I have the complete 3 year set of both the 1 oz and 1/2 oz coins and they are all perfect with no defects or scratches.
    USAF vet 1951-59
    Well aren't YOU special, GAT. La-dee-dah! image
    But really, this is the first problem I've ever received such a chewed-up coin from the Mint.
    Raufus, the Microsoft rebate is still there, and still 20%. The button shows up in the Live Search results.

<< <i>Raufus, the Microsoft rebate is still there, and still 20%. The button shows up in the Live Search results. >>

Thanks! Got it. Purchased an NGC PF 70ER $10 Plat. for $300 post rebate, just over original issue. What a great deal!
    Platinum way down today. Buying opportunity?

Oh, and a question: got acknowledgement the Mint has received my returned unc-w plat and will credit my account. BUT, I had asked for a replacement. Do you think this is a mistake or is this SOP to get this message before they ship out the replacement? Thanks!
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    As for your return, I believe this is SOP.

The mint credits the item to return it to inventory and then has to charge you for the replacement item.
    I am certain that you will be receiving a replacement coin.

<< <i>As for your return, I believe this is SOP.

The mint credits the item to return it to inventory and then has to charge you for the replacement item.
    I am certain that you will be receiving a replacement coin. >>

Thanks, ebizgobro!
    With platinum down $100 in the last two days, APE's are overpriced. With the mint's policy of not lowering the price on "collector" coins, it may be some time before the APE proofs go on sale again...

I was at the Mint's website looking for APE Proofs and they're gone??? Oops, they're back...and still unavailable?
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are my quarters!

The burnished finish of the 08 and 07 is more satin than the 06.

Ren
    WOW. I don't have any unc APE's, but I want some!

<< <i>If you don't purchase anything within an hour of signing in the offer disappears. If you sign out and sign in again it is valid for another hour. You only get three purchase with this rebate so choose wisely. ; >>

My read of the rules is that you only get three searches with the rebate (i.e., with the 20% off tag appearing in the search), whether you buy or not. Is this correct?

<< <i>

<< <i>As for your return, I believe this is SOP. >>

It is SOP for sure.

• << <i>My read of the rules is that you only get three searches with the rebate (i.e., with the 20% off tag appearing in the search), whether you buy or not. Is this correct? >>

That is incorrect. Only actual purchases count toward the three limit; searches do not. You can do as many searches as you like without purchasing.
    Plat proof's totally gone from Mint web site. Gone forever or about to be up again re-priced???? As usual, the phone reps are useless.
    I'd say they are about to come back since they've announced the price of the UNC W's. On sell outs it seems they leave the image up until the next years coins they don't remove them. We'll see
    So, it seems the ONLY reason they're repricing is so the proofs stay higher than the unc-Ws--unless they plan to LOWER the price of the proofs, which seems unlikely. Personally, I hope they pull them all together and really give us something to talk about!
  • NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    So, it seems the ONLY reason they're repricing is so the proofs stay higher than the unc-Ws--unless they plan to LOWER the price of the proofs, which seems unlikely. Personally, I hope they pull them all together and really give us something to talk about!

New York bid is $1889 on platinum. If the mint lowers the $100 APE by $200, what a negative consumer response they'd have (those that already paid through the nose)! If they raise proof prices above unc levels, they're way too high. I'd say they're gonna do nothing for awhile...their next move is likely gonna be discussing the reverse design for the 2009 APE. JMO

NOTE: If "they" would like my invaluable advice image I think they can enhance interest, buzz, and generate future sales by creating a 2008 super scarcity--END THE 2008 PROOF SALES NOW! The plats really need a shot in the arm. Thank you.
    Numbers for the week:

Sales Averages Update

Very cool, Ben. Very cool. Lot's of work there.

On a side note, I ordered (1) each of the regular issue 2008's yesterday. As my luck would have it, the market was down.image

I knew it would happen.
    Thanks for the great information, Neo! Fun and interesting to look at, and consider.
    Thanks for the great information, Neo! Fun and interesting to look at, and consider.

Believe me, It wouldn't be this much fun if I couldn't share it with you guys!
    On a side note, I ordered (1) each of the regular issue 2008's yesterday. As my luck would have it, the market was down.

Wise move Jerry! image

I bought a regular bullion 2008 $25 a while back. It seems the mint has been selling plenty of it since last month...
    Hey Neo, I was admiring your 1/4-oz set and noticed that the '06 has the lowest POP in the series. Do you make much of that, or in fact, of the variation in numbers between years. Do you think the quality was really that much better in some years than in others? I'm just curious because (at least until this year) the quality has seemed so outstanding for these. Then again, I haven't looked at large numbers of raw plats.
    The 2006 listed on the set is actually a First Strike label coin and it has a pop of 14 in PR70 but there are 99 PR70s in green slabs. Quality was actually great in 2006. The worst years (in terms of quality) to me are:

1997 - Strong strike but not always a sharp cameo effect (though to make 70 at PCGS and NGC)
    1998 - Beautiful coin but difficult to find in extreme high quality in $25s for that year
    2004 - I've had plenty of these in my hands and the quality differs a lot from coin to coin
    2005 - Much tougher to find in high grade than 2004 but easier than 1997 and 1998
    2008 - Crappy year, not even close to 2006 or 2007 in terms of quality
    Grits! Excuse my manners! I forgot to say, thank you for looking at the set! SORRY!!!
    I'm now firmly convinced that the best quality is found when the first coins are shipped, and anything after that has lower and lower odds of being good quality as the ordering period progresses.

There are some exceptions, like when a 2nd run of coins is done - but I'd go with the earlier offerings, simply from the standpoint of die wear, accumulations of debris vs. housekeeping on the Mint floor, and of course, returns of unacceptable product that gets recycled.image

I knew it would happen.
    I'm now firmly convinced that the best quality is found when the first coins are shipped, and anything after that has lower and lower odds of being good quality as the ordering period progresses.

It's very hard to get high quality coins after return season starts...
    Very useful observations, Neo and jmski. So little has been written about the series, that your experience is very valuable. I don't really get to see many sets other than those I order, but my few years of collecting them has also led me to jmski's habit of ordering when they first come out. Not a sure guarantee of success, but my 2008 looked flawless. However, this strategy did not work for the 2008 Unc-W!

Part of what's a challenge of this series is it seems, as others have noted, that most years are widely distributed, so it's difficult to come up with raw material to look at. BTW, APMEX has a raw '04 $50 up now, and you can see, the price has dived a couple hundred dollars. Interesting.

I'm still looking for a raw 2001 $50 in OGP if anyone has any leads.

Thanks, youse guys!
    I'm still looking for a raw 2001 $50 in OGP if anyone has any leads.

Why don't you get one already graded and get it out of the slab? Most people with access to this stuff (like major dealers) don't want to leave money on the table and get them graded anyway...

<< <i>I'm still looking for a raw 2001 $50 in OGP if anyone has any leads.

Why don't you get one already graded and get it out of the slab? Most people with access to this stuff (like major dealers) don't want to leave money on the table and get them graded anyway... >>

I may end up doing that. Do you think most of the dealers keep the packaging or would I have to buy that separately on eBay?

<< <i>New York bid is $1889 on platinum. If the mint lowers the $100 APE by $200, what a negative consumer response they'd have (those that already paid through the nose)! If they raise proof prices above unc levels, they're way too high. I'd say they're gonna do nothing for awhile...their next move is likely gonna be discussing the reverse design for the 2009 APE. JMO

NOTE: If "they" would like my invaluable advice image I think they can enhance interest, buzz, and generate future sales by creating a 2008 super scarcity--END THE 2008 PROOF SALES NOW! The plats really need a shot in the arm. Thank you. >>

I agree that it is unlikely that they will lower the price. However, if they do and people get upset, these people should not be investing in metals. Like stocks and most other investments, the price fluctuates. I would think that those investing in plats. would understand this.

• << <i>I'm still looking for a raw 2001 $50 in OGP if anyone has any leads. >>

I may have an extra in my SDB I'd be willing to part with.
    Would have to go check and make sure though. image
    FULL Heads RULE!

<< <i>The 2006 listed on the set is actually a First Strike label coin and it has a pop of 14 in PR70 but there are 99 PR70s in green slabs. Quality was actually great in 2006. The worst years (in terms of quality) to me are:

1997 - Strong strike but not always a sharp cameo effect (though to make 70 at PCGS and NGC)
    1998 - Beautiful coin but difficult to find in extreme high quality in $25s for that year
    2004 - I've had plenty of these in my hands and the quality differs a lot from coin to coin
    2005 - Much tougher to find in high grade than 2004 but easier than 1997 and 1998
    2008 - Crappy year, not even close to 2006 or 2007 in terms of quality >>

Neo -- You say '08 is crappy, but so far in 2008 the proofs are grading about 25% PR70. Is that because grading is lenient or is that typical early in the grading cycle?

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm still looking for a raw 2001 $50 in OGP if anyone has any leads. >>

I may have an extra in my SDB I'd be willing to part with.
    Would have to go check and make sure though. image >>

Hey, that would be cool. I'll try to PM you, but please be patient. I've not done this successfully before. Thanks!

Oh, sent you an email instead, since that's simpler. Look forward to hearing from you!
    I may end up doing that. Do you think most of the dealers keep the packaging or would I have to buy that separately on eBay?

You'd probably have to buy it separately. Most dealers don't send you the packaging when you buy the coin. It would be cool though...
    Neo -- You say '08 is crappy, but so far in 2008 the proofs are grading about 25% PR70. Is that because grading is lenient or is that typical early in the grading cycle?

That kind of requires two answers:

1. In the last few years, collectors have started screening coins more often before sending them in for grading which is great for the hobby (when collectors become more involved). Also, after the 2004 Proof raise in value, a lot of savvy dealers and flippers (with grading experience) have become more involved with Platinum helping sort out the crap more effectively.

2. On the other hand, grading bullion a few years ago was new to everybody (to include TPGs). Standards were a little tighter back then; but, that's not to say that the coins don't deserve it. There are a lot of true gems being made at the mint every day and grading bullion has become more defined and widely accepted.
    Thank you Neo. I kinda assumed something like you described was at work...regardless, 2008 is looking like a very bad/good year!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file