Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this order: 1/10th, 1/4th, 1/2, 1

2006W: 4,146/2,956/2,745/3,174

2007W: 5,566/3,690/3,635/4,177

2008W: 4,623/3,894/3,415/4,063
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"THE 2004 PROOF PLATINUM COINS WILL CONTINUE TO BE THE "KING" OF THE PROOF PLATINUM SERIES FOR MANY, MANY YEARS TO COME"

You heard it hear first.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Wondercoinimage >>

Do you think that the final, audited '08 W numbers will show greater numbers of '08s than '04's? If the '08s have the lowest mintages after the final, audited numbers are released why would you say that the '04s will be king?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally believe 08 will likely be the lowest mintage, but 04 will still remain king as:

1. The 04 coins are tougher to locate, especially in any quantity; and

2. The 04 coins are far, far tougher to slab PR70DC, which is why at the moment, an 04 set of PR70DC trades at around $15,000 - $20,000 while an 08 set of PR70DC trades at roughly $6,000 - $7,500 tops.

Compare 1991 $25 MS Gold at $1,500/coin (24,000 mintage) with 2006-W $25 MS Gold at $875/coin with sub-20,000 mintage - very similar situation. The 1991 $25's never wavered in price after the 2006-W mintage was revealed; in fact, it only got stronger!

JMSKI52 - THANKS MY FRIEND!!

Wondercoin

P.S. 2008-W Proof Plats are still great coins as are nearly all of the proof platinums in my view. The 2004's are simply the most special IMHO.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>In this order: 1/10th, 1/4th, 1/2, 1
    2006W: 4,146/2,956/2,745/3,174<<

I understood the 2006-W burnished mintages to be lower:

2006W: 3,544/2,676/2,577/3,068

Can anyone verify?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

2006W: 3,544/2,676/2,577/3,068

Overdate, I had those numbers at one point and was corrected by someone - only now I can't even tell you by whom, when, or why.

Regards, jmski

I knew it would happen.
    According to this thread, your numbers represent the raw mintage figures. My numbers represent final sales, which were reported halfway down the page in this thread.

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wondercoin

P.S. 2008-W Proof Plats are still great coins as are nearly all of the proof platinums in my view. The 2004's are simply the most special IMHO. >>

LINK MOST SPECIAL INDEED!!! image
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it fascinating that the 2006-2008 3-coin Branches of Government uncirculated 1/2-oz. Plats have a total mintage of 9,922 COMBINED. A set of three coins with a total mintage of less than 10,000.
    Drei3rei - I have listed a set of PR70DC 2004-W plats out on ebay for an asking price of $19,500 (OBO), about $2,000 - $4,000 less than (2) other sets out that were already out there (and still are I believe). The Price Guide also shows $23,850 on the PR70DC set today after (3) minuses today on 3/4 coins in the set (minuses I personally suggested last week that the Price Guide editor consider taking on these coins (which he just did) when he asked me my thoughts on the Proof Platinum chart). Based upon my current asking price, I might suspect a possible additional round of small price drops on some, or all, of these coins is in the cards (entirely up to the editor). But, of course, as I recall, I believe I mentioned the other day on this thread that I personally thought this set had a current value of between $15,000 - $20,000. Or, maybe I am just getting old and my memory fading? And, again, I do have a "best offer" on my offering as well.

In any event, this kind of proves my point a bit doesn't it.... I would happily sell a 2008-W PR70DCAM set today for a small fraction of the price of a 2004 PR70DC set. I personally do not see the 2008 coins reaching par value with the 2004 coins, especially on the 70's, anytime soon (IMHO).

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    double post - sorry

Wondercoin
    Speaking only about $10 APE proofs in PCGS 70, this seems to be the current market rate:

~$7,000 for the set. All APEs are undervalued. However, relative to the other 1/10th APEs; the '08 is way undervalued, but so is the 2007.

Edited: Good luck finding the '06 & '08 1st Strikes--currently 72 total in PR70.
    "the '08 is way undervalued"

Could be, but the fact remains, I could find you (5) - (10) 08's today at 10% LESS than the undervalued price you mention. While I might not be able to find you one of the 04 $10's at that same 10% back on their listed level. Supply is also a key factor in establishing price levels.

Wondercoin

<< <i>Supply is also a key factor in establishing price levels.

Wondercoin >>

Agreed. Higher priced coins are harder to find in most cases, ergo the higher price. I'm VERY interested in buying 2008-W PCGS 70 First Strikes--please send all that you can find in my direction!

Edited: Only the US Mint/PCGS version, I'm not at all interested in the Chinese FS holders. image

• ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    US Mint announces ordering information for the 2009 Buffalo Gold Proof. NO Order Limits and NO mintage limits.

2009 Buffalo Gold Proof -US Mint announces no order limits or mintage limits
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I think people are still flipping the 2008 proof platinum's but eventually they will run out of coins. Once that happens then the coins should go to their normal trajectory perhaps.
    October 29th on the proof buffalo is too early it seems to get a low mintage for these. The 2008 prices will probably ensure that the 2009 will be heavily ordered and it could be up to how many blanks they have to fill orders.

Of coarse the mint could do one small striking of these and prove me wrong.image

With no limits though they must have a lot of coins or else they have no idea what people will order.
    HalfStrike, I would assume that since the 2009 Unc Buffalos have ballooned in mintage - that there is no blank shortage for the Proofs.

If there is no blank shortage (and there doesn't seem to be one), and since there are no mintage or household limits, I'd expect at least a greater than average number of sales.

Which is somewhat of a shame, because I'd already talked myself into ordering multiples. I might have just talked myself out of it.image

I knew it would happen.
    Here is the order page for proof buffalo.

Linky

I will wait to see what the first week sales are or if it goes backorder.

• << <i>I find it fascinating that the 2006-2008 3-coin Branches of Government uncirculated 1/2-oz. Plats have a total mintage of 9,922 COMBINED. A set of three coins with a total mintage of less than 10,000. >>

... I agree!

David

• Well guys the 1991 $25 gold eagle traded for less than the 1990/previous dates in 1995 but lets just say the situation "righted" itself over time. I think the 2008 proof quarter, half and $100 will eventually trade at twice the price of a 2004 in raw, NGC 69, NGC70, and PCGS 69 grades provided the weekly sales report was correct. Now PCGS70 I don't know because its hard to predict PCGS grading standards going forward.
  • i picked up 2 1/2 oz. 2008w buffs today, MS. i needed them to have 3 complete MS buff sets. the prices aren't getting any cheaper, if i would have waited too long, i might have been priced out of the market. i didn't think the 1/2. MS buffs would rise so quickly since a fair amount were minted.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i picked up 2 1/2 oz. 2008w buffs today, MS. i needed them to have 3 complete MS buff sets. the prices aren't getting any cheaper, if i would have waited too long, i might have been priced out of the market. i didn't think the 1/2. MS buffs would rise so quickly since a fair amount were minted. >>

Good call; I believe, as the fractional buffs are rising with little regard for tradition or past performance of other low Mint mintage issues!!
    They are ON FIRE.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    Two days later and they have added even more in sales.

2006 337,012
    2007 136,503
    2008 214,058
    2008 W 9427
    2009 86,000 so far

PS someone paid $4200 for the 2008 W is MS70 FS. Is this coin better than the Jackie Robinson?image
    Hopefully we find out soon what platinum design was picked. I hope it is the top right or bottom middle.

The proposed 2009-W platinum designs are all so UGLY!!! image

Maybe Pt will be $2000 in November and nobody will buy the ugly suckers. image

Oh well, it won't be the first time the Mint ruined a series for me:

I hope it's not the third one across the top. People will confuse it with the Mercury dime, plus we'll have to worry about whether it is Full Bands! image

What...are those five hands all from white males in the 2nd reverse? How can that be "A More Perfect Union?" That just won't do!
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Now if they choose that hot gal with the "come hither" look on her face for the reverse, I might just buy one of these!image
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the choice had already been decided for the proof plat reverse. If I recall, it was the bottom right one... the one with the many faces. There was discussion on this forum about how PC the choice was.... and sounded like not too many were interested in it.
    ----- kj

<< <i>I thought the choice had already been decided for the proof plat reverse. If I recall, it was the bottom right one... the one with the many faces. There was discussion on this forum about how PC the choice was.... and sounded like not too many were interested in it. >>

The bottom right was the committee's recommendation, but the Director is free to make another choice.

• << <i>Hopefully we find out soon what platinum design was picked. I hope it is the top right or bottom middle.

image >>

I agree, those two I also find the most appealing. I would have a hard time buying the PC hands or faces. When would the design be announced?

<< <i>

<< <i>Hopefully we find out soon what platinum design was picked. I hope it is the top right or bottom middle.

image >>

I agree, those two I also find the most appealing. I would have a hard time buying the PC hands or faces. When would the design be announced? >>

I hope that you're right.

The top, second from left and bottom right make me want to YAK!
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What...are those five hands all from white males in the 2nd reverse? How can that be "A More Perfect Union?" That just won't do! >>

whatever...

I actually like the 2nd one one the bottom
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I actually like the 2nd one one the bottom >>

I wish thy would put that on the half dollar and change the obverse too. Then again, clad would not do it justice.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • There should be no debate about this; the only possible choice is the design incorporating thirteen rings representing the original Thirteen States. (I am assuming those words were taken from the preamble to the U.S. Constitution):

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

The Constitution was formed by people, but it was a union of individual (and somewhat self-interested) states that was formed.

The Preamble's first draft can be seen HERE "We the people of the states of New-Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New-York, New-Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North-Carolina, South-Carolina, and Georgia, do ordain, declare and establish the following constitution for the government of ourselves and our posterity."

The four faces (no white guys need apply) is a farce, plain and simple, and if adopted would fit only something like Mr. Obama's misappropriation of the phrase in one of his campaign speeches, which you can see HERE. Not only did he incorrectly seem to think that the phrase came from the Declaration of Independence image he said some things in that speech upon which I will not comment.

In short, the four faces reverse is not "PC." It might be Polically, but it is certainly not Correct. I certainly won't be buying any of them. History is history, and the U.S. Mint ought not trivialize it.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There should be no debate about this; the only possible choice is the design incorporating thirteen rings representing the original Thirteen States. (I am assuming those words were taken from the preamble to the U.S. Constitution):

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

The Constitution was formed by people, but it was a union of individual (and somewhat self-interested) states that was formed.

The Preamble's first draft can be seen HERE "We the people of the states of New-Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New-York, New-Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North-Carolina, South-Carolina, and Georgia, do ordain, declare and establish the following constitution for the government of ourselves and our posterity."

The four faces (no white guys need apply) is a farce, plain and simple, and if adopted would fit only something like Mr. Obama's misappropriation of the phrase in one of his campaign speeches, which you can see HERE. Not only did he incorrectly seem to think that the phrase came from the Declaration of Independence image he said some things in that speech upon which I will not comment.

In short, the four faces reverse is not "PC." It might be Polically, but it is certainly not Correct. I certainly won't be buying any of them. History is history, and the U.S. Mint ought not trivialize it. >>

speaking of good grief...some of you guys are wrapped way to tight
  • bluelobster wrote:

<< <i>speaking of good grief...some of you guys are wrapped way to tight >>

Nothing better to add, but an adhominem attack?

I suppose I need to clarify my remarks. My point was that none of the proposed designs has anything to do with what is supposedly being commemorated, except the one I mentioned.

Now, if someone would like to debate that, fine. If someone woukd like to comment about me, I don't think this Forum is intended for that.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Give me liberty (especially the middle one in the bottom row), or give me death.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    updated 110,500 2009 bullion buffalo gold so far, more than the UHR now.

On the coin designs I think they used 13 stars in four of the designs and the large Brussels Sprout tree has 13 pieces to cover that one. Not sure how the hands and heads coins fit in?image
  • From a business standpoint I'm sure those 100,000+ buffalo and UHR are far, far more profitable to the the US Mint than all the platinum, buffalo and AGE fractionals from 2008.

As a business it makes sense that they dropped the low volume, less profitable items to focus on high profit/high volume offerings.

It also greatly simplied inventory and marketing.

It will IMO be a long, long time before we see an opportunity to equal what we saw in fall 2008.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will IMO be a long, long time before we see an opportunity to equal what we saw in fall 2008.

Amen to that. I scraped and squeezed to get all that I could and I'm happy. The 4 coin Buff Unc set has already more than doubled and I'm patient enough to wait for the Plat fractionals to have their day... Wish I could have afforded a Buff proof set and a Plat proof set - my single quarters and halves are lonely...

• << <i>It will IMO be a long, long time before we see an opportunity to equal what we saw in fall 2008.

Amen to that. I scraped and squeezed to get all that I could and I'm happy. The 4 coin Buff Unc set has already more than doubled and I'm patient enough to wait for the Plat fractionals to have their day... Wish I could have afforded a Buff proof set and a Plat proof set - my single quarters and halves are lonely... >>

Your last comment about your lonely single quarters and halves is a very telling statement.

IMO in future years there will be a lot of people looking to complete 2008-W 'Short Sets' .

(i.e. Complete 4 coin sets of the various 2008-W proof and uncirculated AGEs, APEs and the Buffalos)

<< <i>There should be no debate about this; the only possible choice is the design incorporating thirteen rings representing the original Thirteen States. (I am assuming those words were taken from the preamble to the U.S. Constitution):

In short, the four faces reverse is not "PC." It might be Polically, but it is certainly not Correct. I certainly won't be buying any of them. History is history, and the U.S. Mint ought not trivialize it. >>

Thanks for this fantastic post!!
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    As others have noted in this and other threads, it will be interesting to see how sales go for the 2009 Buffalo Proof 1 oz coin.
    According to Numismatic News, over 71,500 unc 2009 Buffalo Gold 1 oz coins had already been sold through the first four days.

With fewer coin options, a supply of gold blanks and still two months left in the year, the US Mint could certainly focus and produce a very large number of 2009 Buffalo proof coins.

2009 probably won't be a good year like 2008 was for Buffalos.
    I went back to see what the first week sales were for the 2006 buffalo proof as the 2009 bullion coin has sold similar to the 2006.

According to coin world, within the first day or two the mint sold 74,000 2006 buffalo proof coins. And i think that included a 10 coin limit where the 2009 does not have one.

In over a week and a half it was up to over 100,000 proof coins.

So it looks like we should know quickly if the 2009 proofs are going to be a small amount, but from how it is set up I think we are looking at a high mintage relative to 2008 once ounce coins.

The good news I think if this happens will be it reinforces the 2008 W gold buffalo as very low mintage by comparison and will keep prices rising perhaps for those coins is my guess.
  • Guys the 2008$50 W BUFF is looking like a young 1995w.

2008w......9,000
    2009.....110,000 and selling

I AGREE WITH MANY OF YOU THAT THE DAYS OF ULTRA LOW MINTAGE EAGLES ON A ROUTINE BASIS ARE OVER.

There are fewer products to support and fewer options to split the demand. The crushing sales volume is flattening out. Planchet manufacturing capacity has increased. All of this suggests that we are are unlikely to see these sub 5,000 platinums or sub 15,000 golds for a while. Maybe this years fractional gold eagles will have a surprise but remember the LAW STATES THAT GOLD EAGLES ARE TO BE STRUCK TO PUBLIC DEMAND AND THAT INCLUDES THE FOUR FRACTIONALS. Maybe the Mint just will not have time but we know they can run off 50,000 coins in about 2 days.................. they can ruin the rarity of the 09 bullion fractional gold eagles in the three fractional denominations in less than a week! The new bar is set at sub 13,000 in almost all cases. Less than a days production!

2008 were GREAT years! A gift from the Mint.....
    Hope you saved some!
    Eric-

I thought that the only 2009 fractional gold eagles were non-W business strikes. Do you (or any forum members) feel that non-w business strike Eagles of Buffs have any numismatic value?
    If the price of gold and platinum keeps going up and the economy doesn't improve, I think most new collectors will gravitate toward the more affordable fractionals, especially the 1/10 and 1/4 ounce coins.

The fact that many of them are lower mintage than their 1-ounce counterparts won't hurt their popularity either.

• SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys the 2008$50 W BUFF is looking like a young 1995w.

2008w......9,000
    2009.....110,000 and selling

I AGREE WITH MANY OF YOU THAT THE DAYS OF ULTRA LOW MINTAGE EAGLES ON A ROUTINE BASIS ARE OVER.

There are fewer products to support and fewer options to split the demand. The crushing sales volume is flattening out. Planchet manufacturing capacity has increased. All of this suggests that we are are unlikely to see these sub 5,000 platinums or sub 15,000 golds for a while. Maybe this years fractional gold eagles will have a surprise but remember the LAW STATES THAT GOLD EAGLES ARE TO BE STRUCK TO PUBLIC DEMAND AND THAT INCLUDES THE FOUR FRACTIONALS. Maybe the Mint just will not have time but we know they can run off 50,000 coins in about 2 days.................. they can ruin the rarity of the 09 bullion fractional gold eagles in the three fractional denominations in less than a week! The new bar is set at sub 13,000 in almost all cases. Less than a days production!

2008 were GREAT years! A gift from the Mint.....
    Hope you saved some! >>

image 2008 was a good year..............only time will tell how good!!!!!!!!!!!!image
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file