Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE Thread

Comments

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I opened 8 packs of them (all that I bought)
    3 Perez (2 are Prince Fielder)
    3 SP all of which I have
    1 NAP I have
    1 BF I have

Yuck, is Topps trying to drive me away?

Oh, and 7 blackbacks Yippee image
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    alma1960alma1960 Posts: 151 ✭✭

<< <i>Interesting: Chrome and Refractors are over twice as hard in Retail. Blacks are 1-315 Hobby to 1-450. What's that about? Also, with all the Minoso/Berra talk, look at the odds for Group A and Group B between the two. Retail, Group A 1 - 7,400; Hobby, Group A 1 - 4,100. Retail, Group B 1 - 7,800; Hobby Group B 1 - 18,000??? Screw-up on the Hobby odds of Group B? Just got (relatively) easier to get a Minoso in Retail? Finally, look at the Dual Flashback Relic odds in Retail 1 - 40,000 vs. 1 - 55,000 in Hobby. Double huh?

Kurt >>

Those dual Flashback relic odds sound strange. Oh, Kurt I sent the information you requested via PM, hope you received it, Mark
    Collect HOF on card autographs -PSA graded

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

Topps Heritage Blue Autos (2016-2022)
  • Options
    I just opened 4 retail boxes (24 packs each). For those of you waiting for retail to complete your set, I wish you luck. I am happy that I didn't buy a case. This was the collation of each of boxes:

Chrome: 2
    Refractor: 1
    Black Back: 23
    SP: 7
    Inserts (e.g., NAP, TN): 4

The rest of the cards were base. There were no GU/autos. There were no retail specific variations. My opinion is that you should skip the 24 pack retail boxes and try a blaster box.

• Options
    Thank you for the retail odds!! Does anyone know if the blaster odds the same as regular retail pack odds? I would like to pose a question to the fellow Heritage gurus. Once I get refunded by svu18, or through other means, would I be better off buying hobby cases or retail cases? Hobby is very expensive right now in relation to retail but I did not know if it would be worth paying more for better odds or cheaper for not as good odds. Any thoughts?

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    As far as value goes, I would say one hobby box is equal to 3 retail boxes. Thus, I would recommend that you buy a hobby case.
  • Options
    At least with the Hobby boxes, you get the advertising panel, a shot at a buyback card, and supposedly 1 relic or autograph per box. With retail, you aren't promised anything except 8 cards per pack.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    Box 4
    Ad Panel= 1
    Buyback= 1
    Ink= 0
    Relic= Mantle Seat
    SP= 8
    Chrome= 3
    Refractor= 1
    FB= 4
    TN= 2
    NAP= 1

After 15 boxes, it looks like I am still 16 cards short of a master, I'll sort everything and hopefully have a trade list together tomorrow.
  • Options
    Stopped at the local Target today, no blaster boxes yet, but they did have 3 regular retail boxes of heritage. 2 of them looked like the pack searchers had hit and the third was still sealed so I picked up 6 packs out of it. The target packs indicate there is an exclusive set that are based on the T205 set. Also seeded 1:4 like the perez cards at walmart.
  • Options
    bjbrall4bjbrall4 Posts: 277 ✭✭

<< <i>I just opened 4 retail boxes (24 packs each). For those of you waiting for retail to complete your set, I wish you luck. I am happy that I didn't buy a case. This was the collation of each of boxes:

Chrome: 2
    Refractor: 1
    Black Back: 23
    SP: 7
    Inserts (e.g., NAP, TN): 4

The rest of the cards were base. There were no GU/autos. There were no retail specific variations. My opinion is that you should skip the 24 pack retail boxes and try a blaster box. >>

The four retail boxes I opened yesterday (posted yesterday) had a much better collation as far as non-base cards. Maybe it just depends on the particular case they came from.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Here's some scans.

Box 1:

• Options
    Box 2

• Options
    Box #3

• Options
    Box 4

My best so far, two chromes of Reds players (albeit one is no longer a Red) and a Tulowitzki, plus a dual relic.

Only one box left.

I was going to hit retail next but after seeing the above info, I may just have to buy a couple more boxes off of eBay and then go from there.

On a bright note, I DID receive reimbursement from Paypal today on the case that I ordered and got stiffed on from aaee8.

Shawn
  • Options
    After looking at my pics, I promise to clean my scanner before any more pics. image
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    nice boxes bigred - love the dual
  • Options

<< <i>As far as value goes, I would say one hobby box is equal to 3 retail boxes. Thus, I would recommend that you buy a hobby case. >>

Amen to that. Very disappointing. I have retail coming and wish could send them back !

Does anyone have an idea how many of the 2nd series heritage chrome /refractor will be seeded per case of 2008 Topps chrome ? I can't believe Topps would do such a thing. having said that, I can't wait for the next 100 !
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    Very nice dual there Shawn, I'd definitely go with hobby over retail at this point. My 4 boxes coming are retail however.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    Anybody have any confirmation that there aren't any traded-variations in the retail packs so far?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I was hoping that early reports about retail were wrong, but it looks like they were true. I can't see any reason to drop 72 plus tax
    on a box of retail with those crappy odds, when you can buy a hobby box for the same price and actually get some value out of it.
    This has to be one of the worst decisions by topps in a long time. The ironic thing is that they will have to eat the left over retail
    packs, not dealers.

I am very close to my master set, after that I will shut it down and funnel out my remaining chromes and SP's to guys on here. What
    started out to be a great year for heritage has some what fizzled out in my opinion. I guess topps knows they can sell it, so why
    load it up? I would much rather open up 2003 or even 2004 heritage.

I almost hate to see what topps has in store for A&G this coming summer!

kevin
  • Options
    Shawn, glad you got your money back and nice pull on that dual.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Kevin you called it early on when you said you thought it would be watered down this year, I just didn't think it would be this watered down. I know what you mean about the A&G, I don't even know if I'll do it this year.
  • Options

<< <i>Kevin you called it early on when you said you thought it would be watered down this year, I just didn't think it would be this watered down. I know what you mean about the A&G, I don't even know if I'll do it this year. >>

you will do it and you will like it
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    I posted earlier that I picked up 6 packs from Target to see what the T205 exclusives looked like and I was very suprised to pull this...

Six packs of retail produced a better hit than 10 hobby boxes. I guess I was due for a good hit after not receiving any ink and only a mix Group C and D relics in the boxes.
  • Options
    JP

You arn't missing much by not pulling ink, unless you like lifetime 11-10 or lifetime .178! Nice pull. probably the best you are going to
    do out of retail.

Kevin
  • Options
    CubsFan41CubsFan41 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Nice job on the dual.
    Does any one know where to send box and wrappers from no auto/relic hobby box? I heard that they will send a replacement on here somewhere.
    Thanks
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    The Topps Company will replace any Topps produced card that is determined to be damaged or defective from any current-year product (only), while supplies last.

A maximum of 25 cards per request is permitted, and each grouping must be accompanied by the following four items: (1) a letter of explanation, (2) copy of receipt from the store in which you purchased the cards, (3) pack wrappers and (4) proof of purchase (UPC code found on the bottom of the box) sent to the following address:

The Topps Company, Inc.
    401 York Ave.
    Duryea, PA 18642
    ATTN: Consumer Relations

Topps strongly recommends sending all replacement requests in a fashion which provides proof of delivery, within padded envelopes or boxes.

Please note that The Topps Company is not responsible for lost, stolen, damaged, delayed, or, misdirected mail.

Replacements for eligible cards will be shipped within 2 to 4 weeks of receipt. Any ineligible cards received (or any cards that Topps is unable to replace, for any reason) will be returned back to the Consumer.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if anybody posted this before, but where might I find the groupings and odds for the autos?

Thanks,

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Groupings are usually on the box, odds are on the pack.

Kevin
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some math brain can double check me on this. I'm going to base this all on the fact that there are 982,000 hobby packs because of the cut signature odds.

The odds of getting a chrome in a hobby pack are 1:8, so that means that 122,750 chromes can be gotten from hobby (982,000/8). If a total of 195,900 chromes have to be produced (1959 X 100) then that leaves 73,150 chromes to find in retail (195,900 - 122,750). That would put the number of retail packs at 1,316,700 (73,150 X 18) If all that proves true, then Topps put almost 2/3 of the chromes in hobby, but almost 2/3 of the refractors in retail with black refractors being almost 50/50.

Hobby Chromes = 122,750
    Retail Chromes = 73,150
    Hobby Refractors = 33,862
    Retail Refractors = 62,038
    Hobby Blacks = 3,117
    Retail Blacks = 2,783

What does all this mean? I don't know, I was bored with time to kill, but why the alarmingly high number of refractors in retail?
  • Options

<< <i>After looking at my pics, I promise to clean my scanner before any more pics. image >>

LOL- it looks fine.
  • Options
    86nova86nova Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Quiz for the day. There are 11 cards in the 08 set that have as the players position "Designated Hitter." How many can you get without looking? Two of the 11 have both a green and black back. Another two are SPs. Finally, the major hint....... All play in the America League. Kevin will have the correct answer posted later on. Craig in Ohio
  • Options

<< <i>What does all this mean? I don't know, I was bored with time to kill, but why the alarmingly high number of refractors in retail? >>

I'm actually a little bit relieved to see those numbers, maybe my retail boxes will be halfway worthwhile.

Kevin, the retail from Worldwide was $50 + SH . I paid 223.60 total for 4.

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options

<< <i>Quiz for the day. There are 11 cards in the 08 set that have as the players position "Designated Hitter." How many can you get without looking? Two of the 11 have both a green and black back. Another two are SPs. Finally, the major hint....... All play in the America League. Kevin will have the correct answer posted later on. Craig in Ohio >>

Ortiz - did I win?
  • Options

I just spent a good part of 24 hours busting two cases.

Nothing special to report. Only one auto (Bill Renna, a Red Sox backup outfielder) and I came across that in the last box I opened!

Three of the 24 boxes didn’t have a relic.

Flashback relics included Luis Aparicio, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson and Orlando Cepeda. The rest of my Clubhouse Collection relics are Group C and Group D.

Two good 1-of-59 black border cards: Ken Griffey and Manny Ramirez. (ManRam was 01 of 59. My first first!)

Other than that, a ton of subsets . . . (Do they have to print so many?)

I had no problem getting all 75 SPs. I’m 14 short of a second set.

No Johan Santana or John Smoltz variation and no Perez drawing.

Last year I had three or four autos out of two cases. I just I’m just not that lucky this year.

As for those so-called semi-SPs,

I need two cards (12, 224) to complete a third green set; and I need eight cards (2, 12, 28, 92, 196, 224, 284, 333) to complete a fourth green set) and I need 47 cards (2, 3, 12, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 34, 49, 52, 61, 67, 81, 92, 98, 28, 92, 117, 126, 135, 150, 155, 175, 179, 180, 196, 196, 224, 284, 333 210. 225 262 266 283 285 301 322 325 330 333 335 337 372) to complete a fitth green set.

As for black backs, I have two complete sets and need the following cards to complete a third and fourth set: 3 (twice), 58, 91, 150, 228 (twice).
    I’m thinking of putting together a couple of base sets are mix the green and black and put them on EBay.

As for chromes, I thinking of putting the set together. I have 63 difference one and a ton of doubles and 1-of-559s as well.

I haven’t opened the box toppers yet – I have 24 panels and 12 1959ers.

It wasn’t depressing as this many sound. It was a lot of fun. But right now, after ripping and sorting everything, I’m crashing.

I’ll be back with a trade list tomorrow (or Sunday).
  • Options
    Here is my trade list:

WANTED

Chrome (xxx/1959): 1, 35, 55, 63, 70, 72, 75, 81, 83

SP: 465

Ad Panels: Any

New Age: NAP9

***I also need some 2001 Topps Heritage Chrome to complete my set. If you have any, let me know and I will trade for them or buy them.

EXTRAS

SP: 231, 426, 427, 429, 431, 432, 433, 434, 437, 438, 443, 445, 446, 449, 450, 451, 452, 454, 455, 458, 461, 463, 464, 468, 470, 471, 474, 477, 479, 481, 482, 484, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 496, 500

New Age: NAP4, NAP5, NAP6, NAP7, NAP10, NAP12, NAP13, NAP15

Then & Now: TN1, TN2, TN4, TN5, TN7, TN9, TN10

Flasbacks: BF3, BF4, BF5, BF6, BF7, BF8, BF9, BF10

News Flashbacks: NF1, NF3, NF4, NF5, NF6, NF7, NF8, NF9

Chrome: 84 (I will add my extras tonight)

Refractor (xx/559): 1, 6, 7 (2), 10, 14 (2), 16, 18, 22 (2), 31, 34, 36, 40, 41, 47 (2), 55, 64, 67, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84 (2), 90, 91, 92

Clubhouse Collection Relics: Eric Chavez, Mike Mussina (2), Richie Sexson, Roy Oswalt, Ryan Zimmerman

Flashback Relics: I have 4 (Banks, Brooks Robinson, and two others that escape me)

Black Refractors and Autos: I have 2 Black Refractors and some autos (red, blue and redemption) available for trade

Black Backs and Base: I have not gone through all of my extras. However, if you need any, let me know and I will set them aside for you.

***I also have a 2006 Heritage Chrome set and numerous 2001 Topps Heritage (base, SPs, Relics, etc.) available to trade.
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Pharber, I was debating picking up a second case for 745 (62/box), but now you are making me gunshy!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Have a happy Heritage Weekend, all. I'm out for the next couple days (camping). Catch you on Sunday night.
  • Options
    Well, every year good or bad, there seems to come a heritage story. Wether it was pulling my first heritage auto...Warren Spahn, or
    pulling Don Newcombe on my birthday at a walmart, the memories are everlasting.

This year will have a story too. I was really bumed about retail. I had been checking targets daily in search but have now decided that
    it would be better to go hobby. There are two stores in town here that have big time heritage. The one I usually go to I raided
    early on and pulled two autos...two nobodies, but none the less beautiful cards. The other shop was charging 72 plus tax, which
    isn't exactly highway robbery, but I have bought PLENTY there and was hoping for a break. Last year I wanted to buy 6 boxes, but
    the owner would not budge on a 5 dollar price break..well I put four boxes back and bought only 2.....I pulled the Brooks Robinson
    from the first box and was very happy that I only bought two.

Well, Im on my lunch break and Im crusing the westside in need of a fix. Target was running dry and those long odds really had me
    down, it was time to swallow my pride and hit the card store! I came in and spotted the heritage graveyard.....two 06 boxes
    and 1 07...probably will never be sold. Next to them..plenty of 08...my plan was to buy one at a time until I hit ink. I was hoping to
    only go through 3 or 4 boxes.

Well, what do I see but an open box with 14 packs in them. I figured that it would be better to buy by the pack, until I hit something
    big and then move to boxes, hopefully getting out cheap! I started opening the first pack, ready to take the second to the last card
    in the pack and put it in an SP pile and then the last card and put it in the black back pile...well before I got to the SP card something
    blasted me in the face like a ton of bricks.....................................A JOBA CHAMBERLAIN REAL ONE AUTO!!!!!!!!!!!!

but what is this..something stuck to it....ARAMIS RAMIREZ REDEMPTION AUTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is right my first pack, 3 dollars and 80 cents into it produced two autos, one being a dooooooozie. The dealer was dumbfounded
    and offered me a screwdown holder, which he NEVER does. In it went. After that I felt bad and opened the rest of the box and pulled
    a Griffey refractor! I could not believe my luck. The heritage Gods had saved me once again. Last year with 4 boxes and this year with
    no telling how many boxes.

Hopefully I will have a few cards that I need in that 14 packs, that would cap the day off!

Good luck with all your ripping my friends, I hope you have a story to tell!

Kevin
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Hey all,

I just finished opening my case. I have not yet sorted it all, but I can say I did not get anything great. One auto, no black refractors, no Santana variation....

I have decided to build the 1959 buyback set. This may take the rest of my life and entire savings, but I will make an attempt at it anyway.

If anybody would be willing to part with their "Buybacks", I am interested. I will be buying and trading for these cards, condition is not a concern for me, I like to build VG-Ex vintage sets anyway.

I can be reached via PM or my email @ dlarson1966@sbcglobal.net

I will put up my trade list as soon as I finish sorting these cards.

Thanks
    Dave

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    Wow Kevin, great story! Glad to see you got by spending a little less and got some great pulls.
  • Options
    Kevin, I enjoyed your story. Looks like you need to go purchase some lottery tickets today, lady luck is smiling on you.

2 autos in one pack, nice. I opened my last box of Heritage Hobby and pulled 2 refractors and 3 chromes. One of the refractors was also a Griffey. It's a good looking card. - Mark

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

• Options
    Congrats, Kevin. That is a big one.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options

<< <i>Some math brain can double check me on this. I'm going to base this all on the fact that there are 982,000 hobby packs because of the cut signature odds.

The odds of getting a chrome in a hobby pack are 1:8, so that means that 122,750 chromes can be gotten from hobby (982,000/8). If a total of 195,900 chromes have to be produced (1959 X 100) then that leaves 73,150 chromes to find in retail (195,900 - 122,750). That would put the number of retail packs at 1,316,700 (73,150 X 18) If all that proves true, then Topps put almost 2/3 of the chromes in hobby, but almost 2/3 of the refractors in retail with black refractors being almost 50/50.

Hobby Chromes = 122,750
    Retail Chromes = 73,150
    Hobby Refractors = 33,862
    Retail Refractors = 62,038
    Hobby Blacks = 3,117
    Retail Blacks = 2,783

What does all this mean? I don't know, I was bored with time to kill, but why the alarmingly high number of refractors in retail? >>

Nick based on your pack count, there are total of 2,298,700 on the market. I'm assuming the blaster boxes will carry the same odds as the retail boxes. Since you get a SP 1 in 3 packs that would be a total of 766,233 SPs. If the 75 SPs were produced in equal numbers the number of complete 2008 Heritage sets that could be assembled would total (766,233/75) = 10,216. Does this logic work??
    Is the 2008 set more or less scarce than 2007? - Mark

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

• Options
    excellent news Kevin - glad to see you got something really nice
  • Options
    I like it, Mark. Nerd Heritage math. Think they will start teaching that in the schools?

Thanks again for the form letter!
    IWTDMBII
  • Options

<< <i>A JOBA CHAMBERLAIN REAL ONE AUTO!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

WooHoo, way to go Kevin, that's a great story. Wish we had some shops here but it's too rural.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    If anyone wants anything from this list before it goes on ebay this Sunday night please let me know. Thanks.

Minnie Minoso clubhouse collection jersey
    Tom Carroll real one auto
    Alex Rios black refractor 16/59
    Matt Kemp black refractor 11/59
    clubhouse collection: Chavez, Tejada, Cabrera, Hunter, Berkman, Oswalt
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Kevin - nice story!

262 runner, all my buybacks are up for trade. I have about 10 or 11.

i will post them on my website later tonight. my wants are there as well.

The link is in my sig.
  • Options
    mdk.
    Check with geordie on the kemp

K