Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Unreal cards!!

Especially the Bednarik. The one and only 8 in existence!

We ought to have some kind of contest on what the final price will be on that card!image

40, 50, 60 grand??image

Gabbs

Unreal Bednarik card !
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    My guess: $44,150image
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Wow what a card!! Is it just me or do those borders look too cream colored? If I saw just the front I would swear it was a 49....Here it is compared to mine. I don't believe I've seen another 48 with the borders that "toned"..

imageimage

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    it looks like all the colors are darker on the PSA8 compared to your card. Blue, red and yellow are also darker. Could it be something with scanners or software settings on the card??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    I think it is the scan or maybe a little photo enhancement...All the colors on the PSA 8 seem a little darker/thicker than the typical 48 Leaf.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

<< <i>it looks like all the colors are darker on the PSA8 compared to your card. Blue, red and yellow are also darker. Could it be something with scanners or software settings on the card?? >>

Jay beat me to it...lol
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Look at the white on the flips, the 4 is enhanced.
  • The Vick deserves a spot on the list for the impact it caused. But, to put the Vick ahead of the Nagurski in a list of the Top 100 football cards of all time is, IMHO, ignorant.

Joe, on this point I agree. But all of these lists are a matter of opinion. If someones opinion is slanted towards modern, the list will look different than one slanted towards vintage.
    I've made it a point of trying to be knowledgeable in both areas. So when these vintage vs modern debates come up, I'm just surprised at how quickly some knowledgeable hobby guys just trash modern without knowing anything about a specific product or year.

BTW Joe, you're not a bad guy yourselfimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

<< <i>Look at the white on the flips, the 4 is enhanced. >>

The 4 is mine and it is not enhanced. Unless my scanner does it automatically....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

• << <i>Page 2 is unacceptable for this thread.

Slightly OT, but did anyone read Beckett's Top 100 football cards in the last monthly?

Here's a taste:
    #12 1935 National Chicle Narurski
    #10 2001 SP Aucthentic Vick

No kidding. They said Vick would have been higher before his legal troubles, but that card still deserved a spot in the Top 10.

Joe >>

Hey Joe. What month was that? I'd like to take a look at that list. I've got the one with Romo on the cover, so I'm guessing it was the month befor that?
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Look at the white on the flips, the 4 is enhanced. >>

The 4 is mine and it is not enhanced. Unless my scanner does it automatically.... >>

A lot of scanners will enhance automatically if you set it up with the defaults. I was not saying your card was enhanced, just the scan, compared to the 8. The guy with the 8 did not do any filtering or smoothing out.

Dave, your scanner must have done that. Hell, I like the look of your four than paying that for an eight
  • I kinda agree with Dave, it really does look more like 49 stock than 48. If anyone has a 49 Bednarik, I would love to see the card to compare.

.1949 leaf sammy baugh

1948 george connor
  • Also check out the rear scan to the 48 Bednarik. All of the 48 leaf's that I've seen have a tan back, the 49's have more of a cardboard or gray stock back. Check out the scan's on the Goodwin site all the , all the 48's and 49's have the same corresponding backs except the 48 Bednarik and the Fred Enke - both high #'s .
    Maybe the there were different card stocks for the High #'s ? Ok, lets see those Bednariks boys. I curious now.
    Here is a 49 stolen from the registry..They look pretty close to me...

imageimage

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I just checked my uber-sexy psa 1 Bednarik...very tan back. Same with the rest of my 48's with one exception.... my Bobby Layne is a distinctly different color and is quite gray.
  • I don't know why I never noticed this before, but after looking around 48 Leaf did have two different stocks of paper. Heres two different scans just to confirm.
    If anyone knows why I would love to know. Thanks

#55 1948 leaf scan

#60 1948 leaf scan
    Good thing they changed the card #'s from 48 to 49 or we'd be screwed. image
    so are you trying to say that the most reputable grading company cant tell the difference between a 48 and 49??

their response is just send it back its only a mechincal error. unless you pay the big bucks for the 48 when its really a 49. as i have said numerous times before their inability to correctly label slabs will cost them down the road. i have seen a 91 Topps Stadium Club Favre slabbed as a super bowl card yet there is no logo embossed. they say just send it in to be corrected. but what do they do when you buy the card with an inflatted price due to the mechincal error??

its a pain enough when you know what you have and they screw up. i have many examples of how little care they take in the label process (a Marino auto labeled and Elway auto just for simple example). but think of your pain when you pay for something through an auction where you havent had the chance to hold the card yourself and decide and are relying on PSA to get the label right.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>so are you trying to say that the most reputable grading company cant tell the difference between a 48 and 49??

their response is just send it back its only a mechincal error. unless you pay the big bucks for the 48 when its really a 49. as i have said numerous times before their inability to correctly label slabs will cost them down the road. i have seen a 91 Topps Stadium Club Favre slabbed as a super bowl card yet there is no logo embossed. they say just send it in to be corrected. but what do they do when you buy the card with an inflatted price due to the mechincal error??

its a pain enough when you know what you have and they screw up. i have many examples of how little care they take in the label process (a Marino auto labeled and Elway auto just for simple example). but think of your pain when you pay for something through an auction where you havent had the chance to hold the card yourself and decide and are relying on PSA to get the label right. >>

Goes back to the whole, but the card not the holder thing...As long as you see the card itself you should be able to tell which is which. Although the cards are the exact same picture (48s-49s) as Josh said they are numbered differently. Anytime I buy a 48 Leaf I always check the card number. I have miss-bid on cards before that were 49 Leaf thinking they were 48s...

Jason
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    My God, Tom Brady cards are on fire!!! This PSA 9 2000 SP rookie just ended for $1,751.11, well more than twice what I paid for my 9 about a year ago. This is a NINE, not even a 10!:

Brady 9

There's another 9 on eBay now at $934.99 that ends in a few days. Something tells me that's going to finish well into 4 digits image

A couple of 10's ended recently for $2,050 and $2,499. These prices are just insane.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    how easy is it to pick out a refractor say in a scan from a normal finest card. espcecially the ones that have the protective film.

i understand when you say by the card and not the holder. but sometimes when buying on ebay or from an auction you rely on what the slab says.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    i am sure glad that i picked up my brady 9 last spring as well as a moss rc.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    I'm glad I got my Moss 10 when I did. Last year for $240. image Still wish I had a Brady but I still have a hard time paying $1200 for any card, let alone a modern card #/1299. Sad thing is, those /1299 rc's fell about 4-6 / box IIRC and Brady was a complete nobody so many probably ended up in dollar boxes.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm glad I got my Moss 10 when I did. Last year for $240. image Still wish I had a Brady but I still have a hard time paying $1200 for any card, let alone a modern card #/1299. Sad thing is, those /1299 rc's fell about 4-6 / box IIRC and Brady was a complete nobody so many probably ended up in dollar boxes. >>

I thought the rookies in the 2000 SP boxes were 1 per box. I busted 3 boxes 3 or 4 years ago and pulled 3 rookies.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    I know the autographs were one per box, but when I opened my boxes, I got Shaun in one box and I know I got at least one other #/d rc in the box. I'm fairly certain I got a couple others. I could be wrong though, it has been 7 years since I opened a box of that stuff.
  • Can you a die cut on the sp,s for the future set or do`es it have to be base ?

Had a few grades pop today got a 9 on my base and a 10 on the die cut
    Has to be a base card. If you use a die cut, the die-cut police will narc on you. image
  • I thought the rookies in the 2000 SP boxes were 1 per box.

I broke 2 1/2 cases of the product and I remember there being 3 rows of packs in a box. There are 81 RC's in that set numbered from 91-171 (81 in all). The pull ratio was 1-3 RC's per box, most commonly 2 were pulled.
    Believe me, at $80-$100 per box, no RC's ended up in common boxes. Even no name RC's like Spergon Wynn would go for $3-$5. Brady was a QB and the cheapest I remmeber seeing his RC card was $15-$20 raw.
    The hot RC's when the product was released were Urlacher, Pennington, S. Alexander and R. Dayne.
    When it comes to SP questions, come to the source guysimage
    I thought there was more than 1/box but I couldn't remember for sure. I think I pulled a Burress rc out of that too. I remember how pi**ed off I was I got Burress and Shaun. All I wanted was a damn Pennington, Dayne or Warrick! What a rip. lol
  • Frank do the die cuts sell for more ,the same ?

• << <i>

<< <i>Page 2 is unacceptable for this thread.

Slightly OT, but did anyone read Beckett's Top 100 football cards in the last monthly?

Here's a taste:

No kidding. They said Vick would have been higher before his legal troubles, but that card still deserved a spot in the Top 10.

Joe >>

Hey Joe. What month was that? I'd like to take a look at that list. I've got the one with Romo on the cover, so I'm guessing it was the month befor that? >>

Found it. Novemeber. Brett Favre cover if anyone else is interested.
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Page 2 is unacceptable for this thread.

Here's a taste:

Joe >>

Hey Joe. What month was that? I'd like to take a look at that list. I've got the one with Romo on the cover, so I'm guessing it was the month befor that? >>

November issue with Favre on the cover.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • I'm not too familiar with the conditions of these '63 Topps Football cards. But, what do you think this Deacon Jones rookie grades at? Sure seems like a decently centered copy. Thoughts?

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    I'm guessing 8 with the possibility of a 7. But since it's already in a PSA holder I'm thinking you're going to surprise us Arny image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    Looks 7 ish to me

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

• << <i>I'm not too familiar with the conditions of these '63 Topps Football cards. But, what do you think this Deacon Jones rookie grades at? Sure seems like a decently centered copy. Thoughts?

image >>

Looks like an 8 to me. However, it could be a 5 with a back crease. Either way, the kind of presentation that I like in a card.
    Hard to tell from the scan, but I would guess an 8 as well based on what I can see...I agree, I think its going to be something crazy like a 5 or a 9 otherwise, the question would be posed..lol...No scan can substitute holding the card in hand in good lighting...

OK Arny, spill the beans..

Jason
    Anyone know how long the October special's have been taking? I sent in 14 cards and they were entered in yesterday.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • I sent in 4 subs at month end, 1 5-day special, 2-monthly special and 50's commons. They were entered on November 1st. I got grades on one of the monthly specials yesterday. 90 cards ranging in years from 1961 to 2007. I purposely brought out all the 1977 cards and sent them in on the other monthly special as like cards seem to get done faster. Still nothing on the 5 day 1 card sub.

Still waiting on a 90 card sub from September special as well.

Wish the grading priority made sense for once!
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    Good luck on the 77's Bill.
    Just got back the 77' cards from all the team set vouchers I had.
    Nothing great but filled in some low pop cards.
    I put four orders in the mail on 10/26. All were logged in on 10/29. I have two on the way back. One of those was a 12 card renewal sub and the other one was a mech. error, which I have a sneeky feeling is still not 100% correct. The other two are still waiting. One was a single card PSA/DNA. The last was a 103 card football special this was kinda like Bills but the bulk were Favre 1995 cards.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Frank do the die cuts sell for more ,the same ?

Art, the real answer "It depends". Logically, the die-cuts should go for more because they are even mor elimted than the regular RC card. Usually die-cut population is 10% of the Rc card pop. In the case of 1998 SP Authentic, die-cuts were numbered to 250.

Even with these facts, the die-cut versions tend to sell for about the same (and sometimes less, sometimes more) than the regular version. I know I prefer the regular version of the cards as well as many other set builders. There is a small die hard "die-cut" community of collectors who will support these cards. I'm just not a big fan of die cuts.
  • Tom, I hope the 77's go well. There @ 45 of the remaining 75 I need in there. Would really like to get the grades back before the Chicago show in a couple weeks.

Are you going? Greg, you going? Was going to try and spend Saturday there. Maybe some of us can get together. Would be nice to meet everyone.
    Here's a quick look at the RBs and WRs who have a shot to join the all-time sets this year:

Fred Taylor (13 yards away)
    Warrick Dunn (147 yards away)
    LaDainian Tomlinson (167 yards away)
    Shaun Alexander (795 yards away)

Randy Moss (376 yards, 68 catches away)
    Torry Holt (749 yards, 42 catches away)

Realistically, Taylor, Dunn and LT2 are the only players who will hit the automatic numbers for inclusion this year (10,000 yards/800 catches, 12,000 yards). Holt has a shot if he picks up the pace. Moss should get the yardage easily, but it'll be hard for him to catch 68 more passes this year. The way he and the Patriots are going though, I wouldn't rule anything out. Well, except for Alexander. How the mighty have fallen. It's a shame. He used to be a touchdown MACHINE.

And if Adrian Peterson gets 9,000 more yards this year... image

• recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    Bill,

I was going to go on Friday night, but if your going on Sat. I'll see if I can get off work.

Tom
    We COULD see 3 players surpass 10,000 in the next 2 weeks actually!

Behind the RBs listed you have guys who could hit it next year:

Ahman Green (needs 1,249 yds)
    Jamal Lewis (needs 1,719)
    Priest Homes (needs 1,849)

Next closest after those 3 is Clinton Portis who still has 3,000ish to go...

At WR:
    Keenan McCardell (needs 814 yds)
    Joey Galloway (150 catches, 1,794 yds)
    Eric Moulds (53 catches, 2,230 yds)

I seriously doubt any of the 3 above will every get to 800/12,000...There are all pretty old already..lol

Next WRs I think will have a REAL shot are Chad Johnson and Reggie Wayne. Each are on pace through their first 7 seasons...Isn't really anyone else in the next 5 years with a shot...

I'm also ready to add Tom Brady to the QB set...Don't really see any other QBs worthy within the next few years. McNabb is probably the closest with his 5 Pro Bowls and 24,000+ yds...

What about the All-Time Defense set? Champ Bailey, Brian Urlacher are probably the only guys with a chance to get added within the next few years, but even those 2, I think I'd like to see 3-4 more dominant years first..The Defense set is REALLY tough to crack. Almost have to be first ballot kinda guys to make that set...

Jason

<< <i>Bill,

I was going to go on Friday night, but if your going on Sat. I'll see if I can get off work.

Tom >>

My wife and daughter and I might make the trip on Friday. It's about a 7 hour drive from MN, so depending on when I left, I probably wouldn't make the show until Saturday. If I do make it down there though, I'd love to meet up with some of you.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there on Saturday is anyone wants to meet up.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Never say never Jason it is kind of neat that Keenan is back in Washington after starting of here as a rookie and the word in DC is with Lloyd being such a bust McCardell may take over as the #3 wide out and return next year

<< <i>Never say never Jason it is kind of neat that Keenan is back in Washington after starting of here as a rookie and the word in DC is with Lloyd being such a bust McCardell may take over as the #3 wide out and return next year >>

Who said never???lol

I'd love to see McCardell get the yards..I'm a Jacksonville guy, and I sitll own an old McCardell jerseys..He was one of my favorites back in his Jacksonville/Pro Bowl days...Not sure why he isn't already the #3 guy, he's still good at getting open in the slot. Then again, Campbell rarely throws to his WRs anyway..lol

Jason