Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    As a card collecting purist I think writing on a card, even an autograph, is a disturbance.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a card collecting purist I think writing on a card, even an autograph, is a disturbance. >>

Yep. And the reason autographed cards have their very own HOF rookie set. For all the autographed HOFer cards your heart desires.lol

Calling a CARD the "most valuable" because it has an autograph on it or a piece of jersey in it is simply not reality. It is the autograph or memorabilia that brings the value in those cases and not the card. I'm glad that most of our collectors on this set are CARD collectors and not auto-card collectors. You look at the number of regististered sets and compare the auto sets vs. the exact same non-auto set and i think it is clear what the collecting public prefers. Not that there is anything wrong with auto cards, but they have their own niche and own sets.

I'd be interested in seeing a list of all base issue autographed rookie cards of possible future HOFers there are with a confirmed print run over 1,000. It can't be more than a handful. Most I see are well under /1000. Any of the autograph collectors have that stat?

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>I have NO CLUE where Charlie Sanders came from or how/why he made the HOF...Really don't... >>

Speaking of Charlie Sanders, I was watching the top receiving corps of all time tonight on the NFL Network, and the Washington Redskins unit of the late 60's/early 70's was one of them, including Jerry Smith. Seems like he would have been a better pick than Sanders. Some think his suspected homesexuality is to blame for his complete lack of HOF support:

Sanders
    G 128 Rec. 336 Yds. 4,817 TDs 31 PB 7

Smith
    G 168 Rec. 421 Yds. 5,496 TDs 60 PB 2
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been beating that drum for a while, Shag. The best argument for Jerry is that he set the TE's touchdown record which stood for @ 20 years after his retirement.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have NO CLUE where Charlie Sanders came from or how/why he made the HOF...Really don't... >>

Speaking of Charlie Sanders, I was watching the top receiving corps of all time tonight on the NFL Network, and the Washington Redskins unit of the late 60's/early 70's was one of them, including Jerry Smith. Seems like he would have been a better pick than Sanders. Some think his suspected homesexuality is to blame for his complete lack of HOF support:

Sanders
    G 128 Rec. 336 Yds. 4,817 TDs 31 PB 7

Smith
    G 168 Rec. 421 Yds. 5,496 TDs 60 PB 2 >>

Why was Sanders chosen over him? Sanders might have more Pro Bowls but Smith's stats are clearly better. For a position not known for its scoring 60 TD's are pretty impressive.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

<< <i>

Why was Sanders chosen over him? >>

Sanders was a great blocker and Smith was not...At least that was some of the reasoning at the time...I would also assume that his admission about his personal life also placed a stigma on him...Personally I feel like there are many BETTER players at many OTHER positions who were/are more deserving...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Just to clear this up, I don't think he ever made any of this public, it came out after his death. It really shouldn't bear on his case in either direction, but I think his numbers are more than worthy.

Keep in mind, also, that it took them forever to elect any TEs.

To Jason's point, in my opinion as a casual fan of the game (one who is also generally more interested in it's past than it's present), the Football HOF has a serious backlog of quality candidates.
  • Options
    I agree there are more deserving candidates, but at the same time I question Sanders' Selection over Smith. Blocking in an important skill set but 29 more TD's from a position not known for scoring is pretty impressive.

title.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Dang, this thread is nearly at the 2nd page, gotta get it back to the top.

Many of you know I am trying to get a decent looking Jim Brown Rookie to get graded or already graded (3-5 range)

I have not had a hit on my trade bait for hit so I am going to offer the cards up separately here first and try to raise the funds to buy it out right instead of trading.

Prices are delivered.

1964 Willie Davis HOF Rookie PSA 8 $41.00
    1964 Herb Adderly HOF Rookie PSA 8 $44.00
    1984 John Elway HOF Rookie PSA 7 $21.00

I have other cards but they are not the HOF rookie so I won't soil the thread by posting them here.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have a PSA 9 Rickey Jackson? I thought they would start coming out of the woodwork since being inducted, but I havn't seen even one listed. I bet the first one listed will bring some good $.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I've caught a few right after they sold and they're rather resonable. But as soon as they get listed on ebay they are gone quick. I picked one up for $7 in January thankfully. Curious what one of the rare PSA 10's would fetch although I think they're all in the registry already. Give it time and 4SC wil have them flowing out like water.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Was checking the active rushing leaders on Pro-Football-Refrence.com to see who is approaching 1000 yds:

Rank Player (age), + - HOFer, Bold - Active Yds Years Teams

1. LaDainian Tomlinson (30) 12,490 2001-2009 sdg
    2. Edgerrin James (31) 12,246 1999-2009 3TM
    3. Fred Taylor (33) 11,540 1998-2009 2TM
    4. Jamal Lewis (30) 10,607 2000-2009 2TM
    5. Clinton Portis (28) 9,696 2002-2009 2TM (only needs 304 yards but with the concussions wonder if he'll retire)
    6. Thomas Jones (31) 9,217 2000-2009 4TM (workout warrior, excellent shape, should make it easily next year with a good o-line)
    7. Ahman Green (32) 9,205 1998-2009 3TM (done)
    8. Ricky Williams (32) 8,892 1999-2009 2TM (if he duplicates last year he will get there)

• Options

<< <i>Was checking the active rushing leaders on Pro-Football-Refrence.com to see who is approaching 1000 yds:

5. Clinton Portis (28) 9,696 2002-2009 2TM (only needs 304 yards but with the concussions wonder if he'll retire)
    6. Thomas Jones (31) 9,217 2000-2009 4TM (workout warrior, excellent shape, should make it easily next year with a good o-line)
    8. Ricky Williams (32) 8,892 1999-2009 2TM (if he duplicates last year he will get there) >>

I think Portis will retire.
    Thomas Jones has lit it up his last few years. I don't see Greene stealing enough for Jones to not get 800 yards
    Ahman is done unless Grant gets hurt but first he needs to resign.
    Ricky could easily do it in two years.
  • Options
    My latest purchase. I remember when I first started the HOF Rookie set I bought a Leaf version of Pete.

I think it looks great for a 3.
  • Options
    Awfully nice 3 there, crease or wrinkle?
  • Options
    It is in transit. My guess is yes but don't know if on the front or back. Could not turn it down for the centering and for $36
  • Options

<< <i>Was checking the active rushing leaders on Pro-Football-Refrence.com to see who is approaching 1000 yds:

8. Ricky Williams (32) 8,892 1999-2009 2TM (if he duplicates last year he will get there) >>

Jones, Portis, and Williams should all have pretty good opportunities to hit 10,000 yards. I have read that Lewis might try and play in 2010 as well.

title.
  • Options
    Speaking of Portis, I have a couple of his rookie cards in PSA 10 (Topps Chrome and SPX) for sale if anyone is interested. A few others too, listed in a BST thread:

FB for Sale
  • Options

<< <i> Jasen,
    I am not sure of exactly what you mean and would like you to explain to me. Your 2nd sentence , breaking it into two parts.
    1st part : " Even more disturbing is hearing many of the voters this year say that all of the final 15 were equally deserving." Well , I agree, they may not be all EQUALLY deserving, I mean Andre Reed is not as equally deserving as Jerry Rice, and Roger Craig is not as EQUALLY deserving as Emmitt Smith, but I'm telling you, having lived in Canton my whole life , and I was born a few years BEFORE there was a Hall of Fame, and have been going to many Hall events for many, many years, from what I have seen, ALL Hall of Famers are treated EQUALLY by The Hall of Fame.
    2nd part: "and should all be in Canton at some point" I agree with that 100% as well. I ABSOLUTELY expect everyone of these 15 to be in The Hall within a few years. In my opinion, everyone of the 15 finalists were among the absolute best at their positions for at least 5 or six years MINIMUM.
    Has ANYONE ever been elected to the Hall that didn't deserve it? MAYBE . But... having said that, compared to Baseball or Basketball, ( I admit, I don't know diddly about hockey ), I think the Football HoF has BY FAR the highest % of people in there that SHOULD be in there.
    If you get time, go to the Hall website. Read Pete Fierle's blog titled " The best selection process in sports"
    Is it perfect..... maybe not. I think having 6 to 10 Hall of Famers addressing the voting members on the merits of each possible enshrinee is a good idea. But I know that I'll take the way football does it, over all of the clowns that vote for baseball and basketball any day of the week.
    What I want to know is, exactly WHAT is so disturbing to you?
    Rocke >>

Rocke,

What is disturbing is stated in the sentence of my post directly after the one you quoted. That is, the HOF is turning into the Hall of Very Good. You have guys like Fred Dean next to Reggie White, Floyd Little next to Emmitt Smith, Rickey (Randy?) Jackson next to Lawrence Taylor. Everyone in the Hall was certainly very good for a 5-6 year period as you stated, but to say the 15 finalists were the very best at their positions for 5-6 years minimum, I would have to disagree. Tim Brown the best WR in the game for a 5-6 year period? Rickey Jackson the best LB in the game for 5-6 years during the same time period as LT and Derrick Thomas? Andre Reed the best WR in the game for 5-6 years having come into the league the same time as Jerry Rice? REALLY??? Again, as many others here have said, this is only my opinion. But to restate it, I believe the HOF is becoming more watered-down with each new class. That's it.

That being said, I still love collecting this set, here's my latest pickup courtesy of our good friend in Anchorage:

Jasen
  • Options
    Hey guys Im new here and am looking for all HOF rookies graded by either PSA or SGC. Im not sure how to send PMs but Im interested in anything
  • Options
    Welcome to the greatest set ever....

Are you from Indy? I live 30 minutes east of Indy.

Anyway, I have the following available. Let me know if you see anything of interest.

1927 W560 Ken Stong HOF RC PSA Authentic $200 (8 years older than card used for HOF RC set)
    1938 Dixie Lids Bronko Nagurski PSA 6 $300
    1948 Bowman Marshall Goldberg PSA 4 $25 (2 time Sr. HOF finalist )
    1948 Bowman Bulldog Turner PSA 5 $125 (HOF RC)
    1948 Leaf Vince Banonis PSA 5 $18
    1948 Leaf George McAfee PSA 3 $200 (Very RARE "georgous" variation)
    1955 Topps AA Vic Hanson PSA 7 $35 (Basketball Hall of Famer)
    1955 Topps AA Mel Hein PSA 6 $36 (HOF RC)

1955 Bowman Dick Stanfel PSA 7 $13 (Sr. HOF set)
    1956 Topps Roosevelt Brown PSA 6 $16 (HOF RC)
    1957 Topps Dick Lane PSA 6 $18 (HOF RC)
    1964 Philadelphia Mick Tingelhoff PSA 6 $10 (Sr. HOF set)
    1964 Philadelphia Mick Tingelhoff PSA 7 $15 (Sr. HOF set)
    1968 Topps Bob Griese PSA 7 (HOF RC) $82
    1970 Topps Elvin Bethea PSA 8 $20 (HOF RC)
    1970 Topps Elvin Bethea PSA 7 $9 (HOF RC)
    1974 Topps John Hannah PSA 7 $10 (HOF RC)
    1974 Toppa Joe Delamielleure PSA 7 $10 (HOF RC)

1974 Topps Ray Guy PSA 7 $12 (Future HOF set)
    1975 Topps Cliff Harris PSA 7 $12 (Sr HOF set)
    1976 Billy "White Shoes" Johnson PSA 7 $6 (75 anniv team)
    1976 Topps Jack Lambert PSA 7 $27 (HOF RC) $23
    1978 Topps Fred Dean PSA 8 $12 (HOF RC)
    1980 Topps Ottis Anderson PSA 8 $6 (all time RB set)
    1981 Topps Kellen Winslow PSA 8 $10 (HOF RC)
    1981 Topps Dan Hampton PSA 8 $8 (HOF RC)
    1982 Topps Ronnie Lott PSA 8 $12 (HOF RC)
    1984 Topps Darrell Green PSA 8 $8 (HOF RC)

1985 Topps Mike Munchak PSA 8 $8 (HOF RC)
    1988 Topps Kevin Greene PSA 9 $12 (Future HOF set)
    1990 Score Supp Junior Seau PSA 9 $5 (Future HOF RC)
    1991 Pacific Larry Brown PSA 9 $6 (SB MVP set)
    1991 Action Packed Aeneas Williams PSA 9 $6 (Future HOF RC)
    1993 SP Drew Bledsoe PSA 9 $23
    1993 Bowman Willie Roaf PSA 7 $3 (FUTURE HOF RC set)
    1993 Bowman Willie Roaf PSA 7 $3 (FUTURE HOF RC set)
    1993 Ultra Michael Strahan PSA 9 $22 (FUTURE HOF RC set)
    1993 Ultra Michael Strahan PSA 8 $8 (FUTURE HOF RC set)

1995 Sp Derrick Brooks PSA 9 $10 (FUTURE HOF RC set)
    1995 Sp Derrick Brooks PSA 7 $3 (FUTURE HOF RC set)
    1998 SP authentic Peyton Manning PSA 9 $850 (Die-cut, #ed 293 of 500, Future HOF RC)

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    i like these ones can you email me pictures:

1957 Lane PSA 6
    1974 Hannah PSA 7
    1976 Lambert PSA 7
    1982 Lott PSA 8
  • Options

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I believe the HOF is becoming more watered-down with each new class. That's it. >>

I'm right there with you, Jasen. The sad thing is, though, that it doesn't have to be this way. The voters could have put Emmitt, Rice, Carter, Sharpe, Grimm, Kramer and LeBeau in this year and there would have been no watering down. I suppose LeBeau is borderline, but at least he has stats that can justify his induction, unlike Little. Little is a clear example of what is wrong with the voting process. He's someone who had big voices behind him who could bully other voters. Bullying should take place on the field, not in the HOF election process.

One thing I like about the baseball HOF voting process is that there are no surprises year in and year out. You take a look at what percentage of votes a player got the year before, and you can pretty much see who's getting in or not. The Veteran's Committee is a completely different story. It's a joke, but I digress.

Basketball probably has the worst voting process. It's kept secret and it tends to favor COACHES over star players. I'll never figure that one out. Hockey I think is pretty good. All are definitely flawed, but I'd rank the HOF voting processes in order as baseball, hockey, football and basketball.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Why does the Future HOF RC set have Junior Seau's card as 1990 Acation Packed Rookie Update vs the 1990 Score Supplemental?

Todd
  • Options

<< <i>Hi all,

Why does the Future HOF RC set have Junior Seau's card as 1990 Acation Packed Rookie Update vs the 1990 Score Supplemental?

Todd >>

Because the Score Supplemental isn't listed in the Beckett Rookie Card Encyclopedia....And that is what PSA decided was the bible whe dtermining rookies...It used to be the Score until they purchased the book..lol

Jason
  • Options
    I shot you a pm dave. Anybody else with extra PSA stuff they are selling?
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    Turn your PM on.
    email me at jaycg@excite.com
    I have many many cards
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi all,

Todd >>

Because the Score Supplemental isn't listed in the Beckett Rookie Card Encyclopedia....And that is what PSA decided was the bible whe dtermining rookies...It used to be the Score until they purchased the book..lol

Jason >>

If that is true why is the Emmitt Smith card still the Score Supplemental?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi all,

Todd >>

Jason >>

If that is true why is the Emmitt Smith card still the Score Supplemental? >>

Because the Emmitt Score Supp IS listed in the Beckett book..its stupid. There are MANY inaccuracies in the Beckett encyclopedia.

Jason
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    strange, thanks for the info
  • Options

<< <i>

If that is true why is the Emmitt Smith card still the Score Supplemental? >>

I'll take this one, Jason.

The Emmitt Score Supp. is an RC b/c he did not have a card in the regular 1990 Score set, and it can therefore be used in the HOF RC set. Seau has a card in the 1990 Score base set (USC uniform), which is his RC in that set instead of the Supplemental. Since the Action Packed is a more valuable RC than the base Score card, the Action Packed is used in the HOF set for Seau.

Jasen
  • Options
    The difference is....

Junior Seau has a regular issue Score RC prior to the Supplemental set, Emmitt does not.
  • Options
    It all comes down to what Beckett defines as a TRUE rookie card. There are many different opinions on the subject. So PSA, instead of arguing it card by card, is going with the Beckett definition.

Buy the book and you'll know your options.

Jason
  • Options
    The Bears just signed Juluis Peppers and Chester Taylor imageimageimage

• Options
    Nice Peppers. With the Bears offense Peppers should see the field quite often.lol He was a good signing but they need to address the OL.

title.
  • Options
    Yes Dave they need another OT, #1 receiver, shut-down corner and possibly both safty positions, but that's it. image
  • Options

<< <i>Yes Dave they need another OT, #1 receiver, shut-down corner and possibly both safty positions, but that's it. image >>

They should be able to address those areas w/ the amount of high draft picks they have. Alot of the media mentioned Olsen getting traded for draft picks.

Peppers should get plenty of opportunities to rack up sacks.

title.
  • Options
    My latest addition to this set is a card that I have added expressly for building my All-Time Eagles Set. It appears below. I continue to downsize my PSA Football HOF RCs in favor of, among other things, the All-Time Eagles. This past week I sent my first-ever submission to SGC.

Over the months I have heard reference in e-mail, PM, Message Board post, and even on the phone about how some guy posted a shirtless photo of himself here a while back. Some seem to think this person was me! Now I can't imagine why anyone would do something like that. This is a forum about PSA Registry Sets. Now, c'mon. What kind of shamelss, self-centered narcissist would post photos of something like that? No one's doing stuff like that. If someone thinks that I would ever do this, I need to see some hard, tangible evidence. image

• Options
    That sure is a beauty.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes Dave they need another OT, #1 receiver, shut-down corner and possibly both safty positions, but that's it. image >>

well still weak oline and receivers. weak secondary as well. then no first or second round picks. you had to sign someone or you were going to be in trouble. not that you might not have problems in a year or two anyway. you better hope that taylor and peppers stay healthy and productive or jerry has set you back 4-5 years.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>That sure is a beauty. >>

The Wojo psa 9, or the picture of a shirtless dude running up a hill? image Not that theres anything wrong with that.....

Great looking card KW, in a very tough set, congrats. I just sent another round of cards to SGC a few days ago too mostly based on your experience with PSA- 48 Exhibits and some President cards.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    What an absolute gem. I would like to have that one in my collection. I'm sitting here giving hog calls and whistles I'm so impressed.
    Just spectacular..one of a kind. Dripping with high end quality.

Of course I like the card also.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    I have a '48 Van Buren psa 4 on an e-Bay auction starting at $69.99. If a board member wants it $60.00 shipped.

link
  • Options
    Being in the midst of selling the PSA HOF RCs hasn't been easy because some of the cards I have are so darn beautiful. I was pleased at how many have already sold on CU's Vintage Sportscard Trading Message Board. Demand is relatively strong.

Most of my remaining high-grade, high eye-appeal Football HOF RCs will be auctioned at the Thursday, March 25th Pre War Card Collector offering, hosted by eBay. I consigned dozens of cards there. Some of the more prominent examples include:

1935 NC Cliff Battles PSA 6
    1948 Bowman Bulldog Turner PSA 7
    1948 Leaf Doak Walker PSA 5
    1950 Bowman Joe Perry PSA 8.5
    1951 Bowman Van Brocklin PSA 8
    1951 Bowman Emlen Tunnell PSA 8
    1955 Topps AA Ernie Nevers PSA 8.5
    1964 Topps Bobby Bell PSA 9 Mint (POP 8, 0 higher)
    1965 Phila. Charley Taylor PSA 9 (POP 14, 1 higher)
    1972 Topps Staubach PSA 8.5
    1970 Topps Lem Barney PSA 10 Gem Mint (POP 3, 0 higher)

...and dozens of other cards too numerous to mention with high eye appeal for the assigned grade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the erstwhile Wojie is something that I committed to buy a while ago and nearly forgot about. Wow, it's addition still doesn't put me at #1 on the All-Time Eagles though.

<< That sure is a beauty. >>

<<The Wojo psa 9, or the picture of a shirtless dude running up a hill? Not that theres anything wrong with that.....>>

You can drop me your digits any time Big Boy...and I'm not talkin' about Steve "Big Boy" Van Buren either.

All is well...as sure as you exercised after eating those three chalupas from the Taco Bell drive-thru, Joe. Geez.

• Options

<< <i>What an absolute gem. I would like to have that one in my collection. I'm sitting here giving hog calls and whistles I'm so impressed.
    Just spectacular..one of a kind. Dripping with high end quality.

Of course I like the card also. >>

image Now that's some funny stuff, Jay. image

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Paul! Is that the one you just bought? I'm stunned you'd sell it!
  • Options
    I may be a little behind but I just noticed there is a Bronko PSA 8.5 now. Does anyone know the story on it? Who's is it? Was it a review bump?
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭
    Need to move my beautiful 55 Hutson. $975 dlvd. Paypal ok. Pm with any interest. Thanks.

PackManInNC