Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Truly a beautiful card. On my White Whale list but I don't have the coin for that one since I am focusing on Jim Brown at this time. Good luck with the sale.
  • Options
    Half of the top 20 set have the little "Updated" flag next to them....that's the kind of activity I like to see on this set! Personally, I'm toiling away somewhere in the mid-50s, but I was able to pick up this beauty from our good friend in Anchorage:

The centering and brightness of the coloring make this 7 better looking than any of the 8s I have seen.

Jasen
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    to anyone on the list looking for additions/upgrades to their sets...please take a look at the Fletcher Collection.....most cards are available....good luck to all with your quest!
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    If anyone has an extra Randle rookie PSA 10 they want to sell, please let me know. I thought 4SC would have a bunch by now.

Thanks,
    Doc
  • Options

<< <i>I may be a little behind but I just noticed there is a Bronko PSA 8.5 now. Does anyone know the story on it? Who's is it? Was it a review bump? >>

Vince, I'm glad that you brought this up because I had not noticed this either. No one here seems to know the story on it. Gradewise, it is indeed the second-best PSA-graded example. It also is both unlikely and noteworthy because it is the only Nagurski to ever receive a bump to a half-grade. No Nagurski PSA 7.5s, 6.5s, 5.5s, 4.5s, etc. exist.

Selling my Football HOF RCs has been relatively easy. I am surprised with the high buying demand in this strong recession. In fact, lots of mine have already sold on the CU Boards' Vintage Sportscard Trading Forum at this link, and some others were consigned to Pre War Card Collector's auction hosted by eBay, which begins March 25th (next Thursday).

1935 National Chicle #24 Clarke Hinkle (HOF) (RC) PSA 8 NM-MT
    Green Bay Packers
    *For Sale here*
  • Options
    CSU, where would I find the "Fletcher Collection"?
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    Vince
    He is Pete Fletcher
    He has the #1 heisman collection. Listed under key card sets.
    Frm there you can get to his sets AZtech

He has an outstanding reputation amongs the other collectors
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Thanks mate. Got caught up surfing through the PSA registry the other day -- before I knew it 3 hours had passed as I mucked around in there. Is it just me or is the Football HOF RC category one of the most active?
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Hi Doc,

Either go to your profile tab at top of page and check to allow private messages or send me an e-mail offer to ikewash77@yahoo.com I have a Randle RC PSA 10 I would consider selling.

Drew
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭
    BUMP for the weekend. Now priced at $900!!
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Mike - Your givin it away at $900. Bargain price. Vince I ditto the opinion on Pete Fletcher. He is cool. Even if he just pussies around with Heismans. LOL - Fletch

Keith - Prewar will be auctioning on the Bay - is that correct?

Vince, U dah man - I am headed to play Cyp Pt Tues. Weather 65 and sunny. No laying up on 16 baby!
  • Options
    Jim, Hit it long and straight!
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    Jim, let me know how you go at Cyp Pt. I can only imagine the views -- or look at pictures. I agree about 16 too -- laying up is for pansies. You playing the tips?
  • Options
    Mike - Your givin it away at $900. Bargain price. Vince I ditto the opinion on Pete Fletcher. He is cool. Even if he just pussies around with Heismans. LOL - Fletch

Keith - Prewar will be auctioning on the Bay - is that correct?

I agree on the Hutson. Though I'm phasing out of many PSA cards and into some SGC cards, I'm nearly tempted to buy the Hutson for a short-term hold at that bargain price.

Hi Jim, how's it going? Yes, PreWarCardCollector has indeed been entrusted with a large number of my high grade, high eye appeal PSA Football HOF RCs (and lots of other vintage football that aren't HOF RCs). Their eBay-hosted football auction is to begin this Thursday, March 25th. Some of them are examples of what you are best known for - 1955 Topps All-Americans. It includes HOF RCs of Nevers 8.5, Hein 8, Kinard 8, Ace Parker 8. (There's also a knockout Otto Graham 8.)

I think that most readers have seen earlier iterations of this by now: My other PSA Football HOF RCs are for sale here with updated lower pricing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though it's nothing groundbreaking, here's a card I bought more recently that meet's this thread's theme. I relish '48 Leafs like this one with strong print on the text and background, no bleed-throughs, and bright color:

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Keith, Very nice looking 5. Makes me wonder why it's graded that way.

Are you selling off your PSA becasue to the Chamberlain card? What ever came of that? Did you ever get your money back, file a complaint, etc....

It's ashamed people stoop to such a low level just to make a buck

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Hello Dave, sincere thanks for the compliment and inquiry. I will send you a Private Message shortly.

----------------------------------------------------------

Below are just a couple of the pieces that I recently received back from my first SGC Grading submission. Other than the holder, the Hein card fits this thread's theme and the Bowman Baugh RC belongs to the SGC Football HOF Rookies Set Composite.

For my eye, SGC's museum-esque black matte frame around the black-and-white Baugh image compliments the subject with a subdued embellishment.

C'mon now...whether or not you agree, you must appreciate that I am sharing images of men whom are donning complete shirts with full sleeves. image

-Keith

• Options
    For my eye, SGC's museum-esque black matte frame around the black-and-white Baugh image compliments the subject with a subdued embellishment.

I agree Keith. I think SGC's holder is a bit classier than PSA's. The black insert creates a matted look for the card in the holder.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    I usually update my spreadsheet with current VCP pricing and updated pop reports on this set every week or two. Here are a few changes in the pop report in the last couple of weeks that I think are noteworthy:

2 new Waterfield 7s
    2 new Baugh 7s
    1 new Connor 7
    1 new Otto Graham 9!!!
    2 new Namath 8s
    1 new Csonka 9

DeLamielleure 9s dropped from 71 to 65 and the 10s increased from 5 to 11. Perhaps not coincidentally, 4SC has a DeLam 10 listed on eBay.

Jasen
  • Options
    My first upgrade to the set in a long time........It will be followed by another next week thanks to Keith allowing me to put in layaway.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    I see lots of '55 AA's (mostly HOF rooks) being auctioned on ebay by PREWAR. Assuming yours Keith - should be good timing as lots of AA activity lately with prices going up, up and up.

Mexpo Mike - Did you get the Hutson sold?

Down Under Vince - Shot 88 from the tips at Cypress Point after nervously starting dbl-dbl on one and two. Made nine pars, and blasted driver into the wind on 16. I nutted it and caddy said it hit the rocks and missed clearing by 2 ft! My only adjust of the rd. - took a 5 there. Spectacular place - best golf course in the world (although you might argue a few of your tracks could be). Played MPCC Shore course next day and carded 85 with back to back birdies on 9 & 10. 10 is the signature par three. Site of this year's AT & T, and although not in the same league as Cyp Pt, a terriffic top 100 course. You would love it.
  • Options
    Very envious about Cypress Jim. Glad you played well and there's no shame in falling short on 16. One round for the memory bank. Had a golf weekend myself with the boys -- first rounds after a long layoff. Went 81-88-81, not too ad but very rusty. Would've gotten smashed from the tips at CP.

Dave, great looking Marchetti -- bump??
  • Options
    Guys:
    As we get closer to more modern cards being used for the Football HOF set. I was wondering about variations of standard cards ie refractor, diecut and so on being available for use. I have noticed that these variations are able to be used on the key card sets. If they are not to be used for the HOF set why are they able to be used in those other sets.
    David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys:
    As we get closer to more modern cards being used for the Football HOF set. I was wondering about variations of standard cards ie refractor, diecut and so on being available for use. I have noticed that these variations are able to be used on the key card sets. If they are not to be used for the HOF set why are they able to be used in those other sets.
    David >>

Inserts and parallels are not usually considered rookie cards.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

<< <i>

Inserts and parallels are not usually considered rookie cards. >>

Not trying to speak for him, but I think that is the point Dave is trying to make. If the parallels are not considered RCs, why can they be used in the key card sets? I have particularly noticed this in the Future HOF set with the Tomlinson Topps Chrome RC, where many of the higher-end collectors using the refractor parallel for their future HOF sets. Since it is permitted in the Future set, one would only presume that it will be allowed in the HOF RC set if/when LT (or any other player with a chrome, finest, etc. card used) actually makes the Hall. Only being in this set about 3 years, I believe the vote on this (if there was one) was done prior to my involvement in this set, so perhaps one of the veteran collectors here can shed some light on how the parallels came to be permitted in these sets.

Jasen
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    All RCs in 2001 Topps Chrome are refractors, that's why they are considered RCs. There are no base RCs in that set.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Inserts and parallels are not usually considered rookie cards. >>

Not trying to speak for him, but I think that is the point Dave is trying to make. If the parallels are not considered RCs, why can they be used in the key card sets? I have particularly noticed this in the Future HOF set with the Tomlinson Topps Chrome RC, where many of the higher-end collectors using the refractor parallel for their future HOF sets. Since it is permitted in the Future set, one would only presume that it will be allowed in the HOF RC set if/when LT (or any other player with a chrome, finest, etc. card used) actually makes the Hall. Only being in this set about 3 years, I believe the vote on this (if there was one) was done prior to my involvement in this set, so perhaps one of the veteran collectors here can shed some light on how the parallels came to be permitted in these sets.

Jasen >>

Exactly Jasen.

Personally I have a card in the Super Bowl MVP set for 2002 TOPPS CHROME DEION BRANCH that is a refractor and it plugs in with no problem. Either the refractors or other variations are OK for addition to all the sets or they are not. So if they are not I think we need to stop they're use on other sets to avoid any suprises later. I know from experience that any variation has the capabilities of being added to a set where it is called for, from test adding potential cards for purchase from ebay.

David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Yep, as stated above, the 2001 Topps Chrome Rookie Refractors are NOT parallels. Not sure if there are any other instances in some of the team sets, but certainly are NOT any in the Future HOF Modern set, which is a pre-cursor to the exact cards that will transfer to the HOF RC set upon induction.

If there are any being used in other key card sets, it is simply a Registry programming error allowing them. To my knowledge PSA has gone through and corrected all of them, however as new cards are added to some sets, there may be errors. Eventually PSA will find them and fix them.

Do you have specific examples Dave?

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>

Exactly Jasen.

Personally I have a card in the Super Bowl MVP set for 2002 TOPPS CHROME DEION BRANCH that is a refractor and it plugs in with no problem. Either the refractors or other variations are OK for addition to all the sets or they are not. So if they are not I think we need to stop they're use on other sets to avoid any suprises later. I know from experience that any variation has the capabilities of being added to a set where it is called for, from test adding potential cards for purchase from ebay.

David >>

Looks like we were typing at the same time..lol

Dave, shoot Cosetta or Gayle an e-mail on any that you find and they will get the programming fixed. Or you can wait it out and eventually they will find it themselves. It isn't that they allow them, simple an error in the system.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, as stated above, the 2001 Topps Chrome Rookie Refractors are NOT parallels. Not sure if there are any other instances in some of the team sets, but certainly are NOT any in the Future HOF Modern set, which is a pre-cursor to the exact cards that will transfer to the HOF RC set upon induction.

If there are any being used in other key card sets, it is simply a Registry programming error allowing them. To my knowledge PSA has gone through and corrected all of them, however as new cards are added to some sets, there may be errors. Eventually PSA will find them and fix them.

Do you have specific examples Dave?

Jason >>

I knew about the 2001 Chrome but I figured they were the exception b/c they were part of the base set.

title.
  • Options

<< <i>I usually update my spreadsheet with current VCP pricing and updated pop reports on this set every week or two. Here are a few changes in the pop report in the last couple of weeks that I think are noteworthy:

2 new Waterfield 7s
    2 new Baugh 7s
    1 new Connor 7
    1 new Otto Graham 9!!!
    2 new Namath 8s
    1 new Csonka 9

DeLamielleure 9s dropped from 71 to 65 and the 10s increased from 5 to 11. Perhaps not coincidentally, 4SC has a DeLam 10 listed on eBay.

Jasen >>

Very informative post, Jasen. Thanks. In fact, one only needs to go back a couple months to see that the 1950 Otto Graham RC in PSA Mint 9 has gone from a POP 5 to a POP 7.

Of course, for many of these one can only speculate how many of these are true population increases. One wonders how many are:
    Crack-and-resubmit with the same grade in return.
    Crack-and-resubmit with a lower grade in return.
    Crack-and-resubmit with a higher grade in return.
    Crack-and-submit from other grading company holders.
    Direct crossovers from other grading company holders.
    Raw cards submitted for the first time.
    New finds.
    Other...

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I doubt that others follow it as closely as you and it is to our benefit to know what may be newly available.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    the 2002 topps chrome rookies are all refractors also, I'm not sure about 2003 but I know that in 2004 they have base rookies, refractors, xfractors, and so on
  • Options

<< <i>the 2002 topps chrome rookies are all refractors also, I'm not sure about 2003 but I know that in 2004 they have base rookies, refractors, xfractors, and so on >>

If that's the case, it answers the Deion Branch issue. Any others?

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>the 2002 topps chrome rookies are all refractors also, I'm not sure about 2003 but I know that in 2004 they have base rookies, refractors, xfractors, and so on >>

2003 Topps Chrome has regular cards and parallels, so when it's time to add Aquan Boldin to the future HOF list, this will be the card:

Jasen
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    For Sale: $40.00 delivered. SOLD

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Got my tickets to the Packer Hall of Fame dinner for July. Haven't been there in three years so looking forward to seeing some important players inducted into the Pro Football HOF.

Bart Starr will be there for sure along with Paul Hornung. Jerry Kramer, who should be in the hall, is a regular attendee. I heard Willie Wood will not be attending. Willie Davis will be though. I don't hound the guys for auto's but do get a decent amount on my program each year.

A few years back I got to shoot the @$% with my two favorite Packers of all time for a good 20 minutes prior to the dinner. Lynn Dickey and Gerry Ellis. Not Pro Football HOF material but it made my night.

Well, here is to the off season everyone! Go Draft!
  • Options

<< <i>Got my tickets to the Packer Hall of Fame dinner for July. Haven't been there in three years so looking forward to seeing some important players inducted into the Pro Football HOF.

Bart Starr will be there for sure along with Paul Hornung. Jerry Kramer, who should be in the hall, is a regular attendee. I heard Willie Wood will not be attending. Willie Davis will be though. I don't hound the guys for auto's but do get a decent amount on my program each year.

A few years back I got to shoot the @$% with my two favorite Packers of all time for a good 20 minutes prior to the dinner. Lynn Dickey and Gerry Ellis. Not Pro Football HOF material but it made my night.

Well, here is to the off season everyone! Go Draft! >>

Very cool stuff. Really can't beat it when guys you admire talk to you and treat you as an equal.

Jason
  • Options
    JIm, Sorry being so late to get back to you, but yes I did sell the Hutson, to a fellow Packer backer, so I know it went to a good home.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    Anyone have any new items to share? I've having withdrawal not being able to "purchase at will", but I did pick up this beauty from Keith. Definatly one of the nicest 6's ive seen.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Nice, very nice Waterfield Dave. Whats the deal with that card to be in a 6 holder? Perfectly centered, looks clean...

Man I love the leaf set image

• Options
    Corners drop it down, but the centering and eye appeal make feel like a 7 to me..image I just can't afford a 7... This is a "poor man's 7"

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Publius- I love how you non-chalantly threw up a gorgeous Warfield 9. Awesome card! Where did you get it? And I want one tooimage
  • Options
    I heard that Upper Deck lost it's football licence. It looks like the only football set for this coming year will be Panini. That really sucks.....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone here know anybody over at Panini? WIth the football card landscape the way it is, this might be the best opportunity in decades for the collecting community to have input over what a modern football set should look like.
  • Options

<< <i>I heard that Upper Deck lost it's football licence. It looks like the only football set for this coming year will be Panini. That really sucks..... >>

It seems like alot of collectors that only focus on modern products are really upset by this. 2010 will be strange without both Topps and UD.

title.
  • Options
    I can't wait to add a 2010 Panini card to the HOF RC set in about 20 years.......

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I can't wait to add a 2010 Panini card to the HOF RC set in about 20 years....... >>

C'mon, Dave...a 2010 Panini Ndamukong Suh would fit right in next to this kind of stuff

• Options
    Lol Jasen you just wanted an excuse to drop the new Bronko on us! If I had that card I'd drop it in threads it didn't even belong in.

ANYONE GOT ANY BUBBLE MAILERS FOR SALE?

No but I got this new Nagurski 7 BAM!
  • Options

<< <i>Lol Jasen you just wanted an excuse to drop the new Bronko on us! If I had that card I'd drop it in threads it didn't even belong in.

>>

Nice Nag JC! Congratulations on an awesome pickup buddy! I agree, if I only had a card that nice, it would be in my sig line!!

Edited to add: Frank, and you can call me Mr. Joe, I got the 65 Warfield from Rick at Mint state at the Chicago national 2 years ago. In exchange for the purchase he bought me lunch, gave me 2 Mint state pens, and let me pose in a picture with his beard..... image
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice, very nice Waterfield Dave. Whats the deal with that card to be in a 6 holder? Perfectly centered, looks clean...

Man I love the leaf set image

image >>

Joe, that is one fine looking Football card. One of my all-time favorite cards. Totally jealous.

Nice of Rick to treat you to a few pens and a beard pose!
  • Options
    Frank, and you can call me Mr. Joe

With a card like that I would have to call you Sireimage

If you ever decide to sell that card to me, I would throw in a steak dinner at Maloney and Porcelli's here in NYC (my favorite NY steakhouse). Not as nice as Mint State pens, but right up thereimage