Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1976 Topps Baseball Thread

Comments

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Brian, sold the entire lot to ahkmedbinladen. He posted just before you. Try contacting him, I don't know what his intentions are with the cards.
  • Options
    I have a raw 1976 Topps set that I might be breaking up. What are some of the low POP 9's that I should looking for? Any other tough cards from the set that I should be checking?

Thanks
    Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    473 Briggs and of course 19 Brett. Those are by far the toughest.
    I'd also check for centered and clean copies of
    7 Umbarger
    35 Oliva these are usually covered in print so good luck
    126 Dettore is an absolute bear to find in good shape
    161 Kison
    302 Miller
    340 Rice always brings good money, usually is O/C or has roller marks
    350 Grove almost always O/C
    440 Mayberry haven't seen a good one in awhile
    610 Luzinski
    The Guidry RC and Eck RC - either one would be great to get in 9. Eck is always O/C and Guidry usually has a print blotch
    As far as the other stars, Winfield is pretty tough, as are Rose and Aaron
    Then there are other stars that aren't tough but sell well - ie, Ryan, Ruth
    If you get any of the above cards in 9, I'd say you did real well.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good list! Coincidentally - just got in a nicer Briggs. Centering will keep it out of a 9 though. Although I think it compares with the one on page 1 of this thread.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    That's one of the nicer Briggs I've seen, I don't see any print marks
  • Options
    No - and Oliva escaped most of the stray print marks too - a shame that they weren't centered.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I have about 80-1976 Oliva's all beautiful except for the lousy print defect on the upper left side that is.
  • Options
    Hi There:

I have a 76 PSA 10 Dave Winfield (pop 2) and a 76 #1 Aaron record breaker. Can someone give me a ballpark as to what these two might be worth?

Thanks!!
  • Options
    Winfield psa 10 hard to say, maybe 500?
    Is the Aaron PSA graded?
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have a scan of that Winfield I would love to see it.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind seeing a nice Rick Miller... I'd offer at LEAST $150 for a PSA 9... depending on the centering, which is always off. If anyone knows where I might get my hands on one, PM!!!
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

1960-present Topps Red Sox in PSA 9+
    Topps All-Star Rookies in PSA 9+
    Dennis Eckersley PSA 10's
  • Options
    GDM:

First time trying to attach. Hopefully the psa 10 winfield can be viewed with my reply. Yes, the #1 Aaron is also a PSA 10 to answer the other poster.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Very nice. I've always been a fan of that card. A suitably epic pose for a great player.
  • Options
    Ouch...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370418123875

Somebody wanted this one pretty bad!
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch...

Somebody wanted this one pretty bad!

You must be that somebody, you won the card. I was really blown away at the snipe amounts. Hope you enjoy that Miller!!!
  • Options
    So I have been trying to register my recently purchased 1976 Rick Miller #302 PSA 9 won on Ebay from seller "dgofwinter". According to the seller, this card was graded only a few weeks ago, had never been registered and aside from him, no other owner. I have had difficulty adding this card to my registry and we have come to the conclusion someone registered the card after seeing it listed for sale. While I have the card in my possession, I do not have a scanner to send the back as requested by PSA. I would have to go through quite a bit of trouble to obtain this. The seller has agreed to work with me and confirm this situation with PSA. Has anyone else had a problem with adding high value cards? Has anyone noticed another set with a Miller recently added to it? While the practice is not unheard of, I'm sure we can all agree it's less than honorable. More of a heads up than anything else here, but I'd love to find out who this sad person is...
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nutjob has apparently registered your card. As for the "quite a bit of trouble", all you gotta do is go to the nearest Staples, UPS store, or anywhere that makes copies. Send a copy of the front and back to Cosetta and she will delete the card from the nutjob's set and allow you to put it into your set. I've had to do this a time or two, more of a gnat bite than any big deal. I doubt you will ever find out who registered your card, PSA will not release that info. Should take at most a week + to get this done. Part of dealing with jealous idiots in the game.

FWIW, when I win a card, I almost immediately add it to my inventory to ensure that the seller has deleted the card from his/her set. If PSA says the card is registered to another set, I ask the seller to delete the card. Either way, if you have physical possession of the card, all you have to do is jump through a hoop or two, no big deal. I only commit the card upon actual receipt.
  • Options
    Big sale for a PSA 9 Oliva today.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Wow
    Mine sold for "only" $177
    Timing, I guess
    With this sale and the Miller, it appears to be a good time to be selling the real tough 76s
  • Options
    Here are some scans for some help on. I haven't subbed before, but think these may be ready to make the trip to PSA. Would like some feedback from others with more experience.

I scanned the backs also, while the fronts were centered well the backs were not in some cases. How much would the centering on the back affect the grade?

I should have scanned with a dark background, let me know if I should re-scan these.

Thanks
    Bob

Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    In all honesty, I wouldn't submit them. You have some tilts, rough edges, and snow which will decidedly impact the grade. For 76s, they aren't worth it in my opinion. Good luck though. Hopefully, others will weigh in with a little more advice for you.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I agree with the other poster regarding the grading prospects of these. Just to add a bit more info - yes, the back centering matters "some" but not as much as the front. For example, to get an 8 you have to be 70/30 or better on the front but 90/10 is OK on the back. So, I saw a couple that wouldn't meet the 90/10 standard.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Thought I finally had a Briggs in Mint.... didn't notice that it wasn't perfectly square. Print quality is better than usual. Still no 10's and only five 9's....

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    theoriolestheorioles Posts: 180 ✭✭
    Hi Folks...Does anyone have a list of 1976 Error/Corrected cards? I would appreciate it.

Gordon
    theorioles
    gordmott144@gmail.com
    Collecting PSA Graded Orioles From 1954 to 1980
  • Options
    Agreed with the above posts...8s are near worthless in 76s. I do wish that Umbarger was better, havent seen a nice one on ebay in ages,
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Just curious-- when was the last time a PSA 9 Brett was sold and its price (for those of you with VCP access)?. Thanks.
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for a Reds Team set of 1976 Topps cards, preferably RAW, but if you have PSA 8's cheap that is fine as well. I would like them to be NM-MT or better and centered no worse then 60-40.

Specifically these numbers: # 24,48,77,104,128,155,179,211,240,259,283,300,325,362,390,420,444,461,462,469,491,514,518,538,561,579,589,599,609,627,652,208T and 338T

If you would like to make a few bucks and have some/all of what I need, please PM with price and scans.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious-- when was the last time a PSA 9 Brett was sold and its price (for those of you with VCP access)?. Thanks. >>

last PSA 9 was $1,775 about 3.5 years ago
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Felt like 76 needed a bump
    1981 Topps in Process
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Thanks I needed a stroll down memory lane...
    Super nice Winfield posted 2 years ago.. LOL
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    76 is a nice set, very underrated. Its just that you need a spotlight to read the backs.
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    This has always been my all-time favorite set, probably because these were the first cards I ever collected. If I could be granted one wish, it would be for Topps to create a 1976 Mark Fidrych, because growing up in Michigan, I just didn't understand right away why the Bird did not have a baseball card in 1976.

I just wish I had found this thread sooner--far too many photos have apparently been deleted from Photobucket.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This has always been my all-time favorite set, probably because these were the first cards I ever collected. If I could be granted one wish, it would be for Topps to create a 1976 Mark Fidrych, because growing up in Michigan, I just didn't understand right away why the Bird did not have a baseball card in 1976.

I just wish I had found this thread sooner--far too many photos have apparently been deleted from Photobucket. >>

While Fidrych's rookie year with the Tigers was 1976, his first issued card was 1977 which includes his stats from 76. That is how Topps produced the cards. A 1977 card reflects a player's 1976 season. I hope this makes sense. Bobby
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This has always been my all-time favorite set, probably because these were the first cards I ever collected. If I could be granted one wish, it would be for Topps to create a 1976 Mark Fidrych, because growing up in Michigan, I just didn't understand right away why the Bird did not have a baseball card in 1976.

I just wish I had found this thread sooner--far too many photos have apparently been deleted from Photobucket. >>

While Fidrych's rookie year with the Tigers was 1976, his first issued card was 1977 which includes his stats from 76. That is how Topps produced the cards. A 1977 card reflects a player's 1976 season. I hope this makes sense. Bobby >>

It makes sense today. It just didn't make a lot of sense to me in 1976, when I was 8 years old.
  • Options
    My first year collecting also.. Funny thing about this set that I will always remember for the life
    of me is my friend needed 3 cards to finish the set and they were Chambliss, Frisella and Strom.
    We opened packs til our hearts were content looking for those cards... I remember getting the Hank Aaron
    card in one of the first packs I opened and I was hooked.. Oh the memories
    Collector Focus

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Ok I have the rest of the cards I need for my raw set one the way. I really like this set. So I am going to start a graded set. I am looking at doing PSA 8 to keep it somewhat affordable. I think I will be happy with that. Should have a few coming in next week.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok I have the rest of the cards I need for my raw set one the way. I really like this set. So I am going to start a graded set. I am looking at doing PSA 8 to keep it somewhat affordable. I think I will be happy with that. Should have a few coming in next week. >>

I should have a bunch of 8's coming to me in a few months. Hopefully not too many as they will be the ones that don't 9 in my upcoming submission. I should be able to help you with your set at that time if interested.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ok I have the rest of the cards I need for my raw set one the way. I really like this set. So I am going to start a graded set. I am looking at doing PSA 8 to keep it somewhat affordable. I think I will be happy with that. Should have a few coming in next week. >>

I should have a bunch of 8's coming to me in a few months. Hopefully not too many as they will be the ones that don't 9 in my upcoming submission. I should be able to help you with your set at that time if interested. >>

Yea let me know. I have several one the way but I am sure this set will take me some time to put together.
  • Options
    well the seller that just had his PSA 9(ish) set end tonight did pretty well to me
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    I know this set very well and the seller did well considering what he paid for it but what helped the final numbers were most of the HOFs in Psa 9 went for at least twice as much as they normally do. I dont understand that but maybe because of the set break concept and the sellers good rep as well. The low pop commons...no surprises there. A nice offering. Thanks BBG for the link.
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    I've always liked this set. Did some bottom feeding and picked up a few. Didn't win a single HOF'er, but no surprise there, the final prices for HOF'ers were off the hook. Great seller, nice final for the seller.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    Ya...I nailed a few of those low pop commons and I'm a little lighter in the wallet today...but a few of those cards offered last night only show up every so many years on EBAY and the pop numbers haven't budged much in the past several years -say pop 7-14 in a 9 with no 10's. Great set but the historically bad centering and print marks on a few of those cards just may keep the pop numbers down going forward. I did bag a bunch of psa 9 commons in the $3.50 to $5 range so I was real pleased about that.
  • Options
    It always seems a ton of set breaks come out shortly after I pick up a collection. Same thing happened with the high grade '71 set I bought where shortly after, like 90% of the top sets were broken up. Oh well. I'll still be submitting a ton of '76s in this month's special. Some will go to my set. I posted a bunch of scans on the main sportscard forum. I do love this set as it was the first one I collected as a kid. It's funny that I never viewed it as vintage until in recent years when I started looking at the cards again after not looking at them for several years. Cards of Carew, Brock, Billy Williams and Yaz really do have a vintage look to them. I like the action photos a lot.
  • Options
    John,

What set are you going to buy next? I wanna make sure I get ahead you again. image
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
  • Options
    I had this set almost done in 8/9's and sold it. I have been seriously thinking about doing it again..
    I am sure I posted this before but this was also my first set collected as a kid. To add to John's list
    of cards that look vintage I would add Gary Carter, Fingers,Jackson,Nettles,Bonds and the list goes
    on.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    I also like the Sal Bando, Reggie Jackson, Aaron In Action, Von Joshua and a lot of others with action shots. I like the Billy Williams because he has what looks to be his cap in his back pocket as he's batting that looks kinda like pre-war players who carried their gloves in their back pocket when they were batting (like Rogers Hornsby's All Time All Star card).
  • Options
    I love that Williams card, too. I got it in a trade in elementary school and used to draw the same image (hat in pocket, something that Gary Matthews also always did) on my notebooks. I can remember being quite impressed by his stats on the back.
  • Options
    Just wanted to bump this thread up and see who is still working on this set. I only have 102 cards for it so far. I am mostly just getting PSA 8 but I do have a couple 8.5's.

I plan to keep picking up a few here and there and eventually finish this set one day.
  • Options
    I picked up a couple 9's and some 8's as I really want to do this set again but just don't have the funds.
    I will continue to pick and choose some here and there but won't be until the after the new year..

A few more to add to the list of great action shots are Bernie Carbo,Concepcion,Schmidt,Tiant and Palmer
    Collector Focus