Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• Options

<< <i>
    This sort of thing is insane. >>

Oh, I see that it got even worse. $899.99 for Billy Hunter PSA 8. Can anyone, anywhere justify this? Over 22x PSA's SMR of $40.00.

Unreal.....
    Currently working on 1959 Topps PSA set, now # 20
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    D A M N ! Sweet cards! I still like the 1958 set better for some reason.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    The Billy Hunter card is in the same league with Rice, Amaro, Triandos, etc.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Spoken like an ambitious seller, Don *wink* Hey, your set is fantastic and I appreciate seeing the pics. I promise to put some time aside and load up more pics to my set.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    are there any of you building a decent RAW set?

I have a BUNCH of raw stuff that I am never going to submit because it's either OC, possibly OC, or I don't think it will "8".
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PT - sounds like you're doing just fine on your 7&8 set. Money can always solve the problem, patience and diligence will get it done too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    goose PM sent
  • Options

<< <i>The Billy Hunter card is in the same league with Rice, Amaro, Triandos, etc. >>

Yes, beneficiaries of irrational exuberance.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I see that card 282 has finally received a 9. Isn't R C Stevens one of the hardest cards from that set?

I always liked the colors om that set.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see that card 282 has finally received a 9. Isn't R C Stevens one of the hardest cards from that set? >>

Yes it is. I wonder if Scott recently won that card raw on ebay.
  • Options

<< <i>Spoken like an ambitious seller, Don *wink* >>

Yeah, darn you guys. Give 'um up! image
  • Options
    Al, thanks for the comments about my set. I plan to add more scans and comments to it after the National. I just think that makes it more enjoyable. I look forward to seeing more scans on your world class set!!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Thanks Don. Sorry I won't be at the National. Cost form the East Coast just too much. Still looking forward to meeting you and chatting.

I was wondering about the Stevens card. Has an 063 prefix on the flip. That number according to my notes was back in 1995-96. Is PSA starting over again at 0XXXXXX if it's a new grade ?
  • Options

<< <i>I was wondering about the Stevens card. Has an 063 prefix on the flip. That number according to my notes was back in 1995-96. Is PSA starting over again at 0XXXXXX if it's a new grade ? >>

FYI, PSA started using cert numbers starting with zero again about two months ago. The #282 R.C. Stevens PSA 9 on that's on eBay now was graded 3 weeks ago. There appears to be no logical connection between cert number prefix and date of grading, and my guess is that this is by PSA design.

Scott
  • Options
    There most certainly is a correlation between the prefix and date time frame of the grading. In addition, there is also a correlation between the prefix and the site location of either the grading or acceptance of the item for grading.
  • Options
    Al, just about everything PSA is grading is starting with 0 certs now....I just had a sub pop this week starting with 064.

It will be interesting what the cert #'s are at the National.....ususally I remember seeing them start with 5's or 6's before.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Anyone interested in a couple GAI graded beauties?

Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    Don that's interesting. I know that onsite and submissions to Sun Times in Chicago, as well as the Fort had their own unique prefix of the cert #. Let's see what the National is this year.
  • Options
    Hey Don...check out this auction.

Mantle Game Used Bat
  • Options
    Al, that is a sweet item!! Anything Mantle is sweet!!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I just noticed that two of the top 20 on the 1959 Basic Set Registry are up for sale......No 10 is being sold by Mastro Auctions next month and No 18 is on the block via Huggins and Scott coming up in early October.It will be interesting to see the price differential in the sets and if it is really worth it to make that leap from a 7 to an 8. Money is not necessarily the only driving force in putting together a collection,but let's face it, it's very important.At any rate,it should give us a very good idea of the current market for sets at both levels.Both are very nice sets and I know that Bill Evans aka Squeabie has an extremely nice collection of well centered 7's.Hope they both hit home runs.
  • Options

<< <i>I just noticed that two of the top 20 on the 1959 Basic Set Registry are up for sale......No 10 is being sold by Mastro Auctions next month and No 18 is on the block via Huggins and Scott coming up in early October.It will be interesting to see the price differential in the sets and if it is really worth it to make that leap from a 7 to an 8. Money is not necessarily the only driving force in putting together a collection,but let's face it, it's very important.At any rate,it should give us a very good idea of the current market for sets at both levels.Both are very nice sets and I know that Bill Evans aka Squeabie has an extremely nice collection of well centered 7's.Hope they both hit home runs. >>

Good catch. Since I have a similar set to Squeabie's, I am interested also. Do you have any predictions as to what this set might bring vs. SMRP?
  • Options
    My prediction would only be a SWAG....but here goes.The 7.32 set somewhere around $19, 000 and the 8.0 set just under $40,000.Doubt if one could have put one together for that at last years prices.The 7.32 set has an absolutely beautiful Maris 9 in it and that card alone is a $2000 card,so it may go higher.Hope I'm way low on my guesses and they both get more. The SMR I think is $14,00 for all 7's and $31,000 for all 8's and I know that's low,but just how low I don't know.
  • Options
    I just got back from the National so I haven't posted in a few days.

Steve, it will definitely be interesting to see what those sets sell for.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don:
    What did you buy at the National????

Cooperstown was dead with only Sutter inducted. Many fans stayed away and protested since Buck O'Neil did not get in.
    AZ
  • Options

<< <i>I just got back from the National so I haven't posted in a few days.

>>

What did you observe as far as the availability and prices relative to SMRP of the 1959 Topps cards, you know, the tough ones.
  • Options
    Al....

I did not buy a single graded '59 card. I did buy some others.....the best was a '62 Clemente in PSA 8 that was freshly graded at the show. It looks like a 9 and I got it for slightly less than SMR. I saw other Clementes on the floor where the prices were 25%-40% above SMR. You have to shop to get the best deals.

I also picked up 8's in '62 Banks and Stengel plus '63 Maris and Buc Blasters. I also bought 2 PSA 8 '61 high number all stars....Banks and Kaline as well as 2 PSA 9 all stars......Skowron and Fox. They are incredibly nice. I always buy the card. For example, I saw several PSA 8 cards that I needed that I refused to buy because the card just did not look that good to me.

I did buy raw cards from two different dealers. In one deal, I did buy about 20 raw 1959's with the intent to grade them and sell them on ebay. High grade raw is very tough to find at shows these days (even the National), but it can be done. I also think that a couple of them could come back as 9's. If they do, they will go to my set.

Also, the first day of the show, I found a raw '62 Mays. It looked very sharp so I took the plunge and bought it. I graded it at the show and it came back PSA 7. I really thought it had a shot at an 8 so I think that I will be cracking and resubbing that one.

ptarmandiblex.....

1959's seemed to be pretty tough to find at the show. Andy Madec had four common mint 9's that I would love to have....except he wanted $400-$500 each for them. I passed. Each of them were in the range of pop 3 to pop 5. I don't remember now which cards they were.....but they were about as common as they could get. I did not really see any tough 1959's anywhere (with one exception) and the usual stars were in cases.....like a few Mantles, Kalines, Clementes, Mays, etc. I would say that anyone with high grade '59's were asking high prices for them too.

Now, the exception. One of the dealers had a 1959 Shantz in PSA 8. It was nice for sure. They had it in cases with other cards they were going to put up in an auction that they were doing in a few weeks. I just can't remember which dealer it was. Anyway, he told me how he bought this Shantz raw at a Chicago show for $20 recently. He graded it and it came back an 8. I told him that I had a Shantz but might be interested in this one for a collecting friend. (I was thinking about Steve Park). Anyway, since his auctions had not been set up or started yet, he offered to sell me the Shantz if I wanted to buy it for my collecting friend. His price was $1500, no budge.....he based it on a recent ebay sale of that card and similar tough '59's. I said, "no thank you", and went on my way. I can't blame him though because it could go that high in an auction.

Other than the Shantz, I did not see any tough '59's in PSA 8 at the National.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Al, I forgot to mention Cooperstown.....I love that place! Sutter would not be a big draw. My son and I were there in 1999 when Ryan, Brett, Yount, Cepeda, etc were inducted.....it was huge then. The largest crowd that they ever had there. I would go back in a heartbeat.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don, Sounds like you had some nice pickups there, especially the 62 Clemente! That was an incredible buy by the guy who paid $20 for the raw Shantz, now an 8! Suffice to say, that is a very nice return. I thought only Scott Susor did that well. image
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    Don:
    Then come back next year. Ripken and Gwynn. We must have meet in 99. For the past 25 years I have had a table on the intersection of the Main street, where the traffic island is. This year I lost the table thanks to the town officials. So I had Frank Howard signing autographs at the Legends Are Forever store. You're right that attendance was down. Many fans boycotted since Buck O'Neill did not get. But what a gracious guy he is even so.
    Off to Canton OH tomorrow for the HOF FB show.
    AZ
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Just sent 20 more cards to PSA .I have 7 still sitting at PSA.I am getting close to the end now in completing my Master Set.I will upgrade a few also.I am finding the Phillies Team card as very difficult so I sent in my raw one to PSA hoping to get lucky and and get at least a 6.Mine has only a very small surface wrinkle on the right border of the card.This is the first time I have sent a card in with any type of wrinkle whatsover.Unbfortunatley I can not show the card as I have sent it out.
    Is there a chance that a card with a fingernail size wrinkle do better than a 6???It is not a crease..
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Does this card look like a miscut???? The picture may not be to great however I would greatly appreciate your comments on this.It was labeled miscut by PSA non holdered.Does this card stand a chance if I resubmit.I can not for the life of me see why this card is considered a miscut.
  • Options

<< <i>Just sent 20 more cards to PSA .I have 7 still sitting at PSA.I am getting close to the end now in completing my Master Set.I will upgrade a few also.I am finding the Phillies Team card as very difficult so I sent in my raw one to PSA hoping to get lucky and and get at least a 6.Mine has only a very small surface wrinkle on the right border of the card.This is the first time I have sent a card in with any type of wrinkle whatsover.Unbfortunatley I can not show the card as I have sent it out.
    Is there a chance that a card with a fingernail size wrinkle do better than a 6???It is not a crease.. >>

Just hope that it doesn't come back a 4. I had what I thought was a beautiful 1955 Duke Snider and expected a 7, but got a PSA 4 because of a small wrinkle on the BACK of the card. I was not happy.
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>Just hope that it doesn't come back a 4. I had what I thought was a beautiful 1955 Duke Snider and expected a 7, but got a PSA 4 because of a small wrinkle on the BACK of the card. I was not happy. >>

Hey hows it going ???.I have purchased several cards from you in the past on EBay and vise versa.I believe that if it were not for that small wrinke it would be a 7 without a doubt in my opinion.I turned in a Yankee Team card recently which overall was not as nice as the Phillie team in my opinion and it came back a 6 however it had no wrinkle. >>

• Options

<< <i>Does this card look like a miscut???? The picture may not be to great however I would greatly appreciate your comments on this.It was labeled miscut by PSA non holdered.Does this card stand a chance if I resubmit.I can not for the life of me see why this card is considered a miscut. >>

I'd give it a whirl....I had a Mays 7 that I thought had a chance at being an 8....cracked it,sent it in and it came back a miscut.I couldn't see anything obvious that would warrent that label.........size,centering or diamond cut.Cracked it again and it came back a 7...still think it was an 8,but at least I recovered.A Hannebrink no trade is worth a try.Good luck.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I have 2 nice AARON cards that were returned to me as MC.

I just don't see it.

They are solid 7/8's.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does this card look like a miscut???? The picture may not be to great however I would greatly appreciate your comments on this.It was labeled miscut by PSA non holdered.Does this card stand a chance if I resubmit.I can not for the life of me see why this card is considered a miscut. >>

I'd give it a whirl....I had a Mays 7 that I thought had a chance at being an 8....cracked it,sent it in and it came back a miscut.I couldn't see anything obvious that would warrent that label.........size,centering or diamond cut.Cracked it again and it came back a 7...still think it was an 8,but at least I recovered.A Hannebrink no trade is worth a try.Good luck. >>

I am going to send it in again.It will be worth the try the card is 7 material at least.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'd give it a whirl....I had a Mays 7 that I thought had a chance at being an 8....cracked it,sent it in and it came back a miscut.I couldn't see anything obvious that would warrent that label.........size,centering or diamond cut.Cracked it again and it came back a 7...still think it was an 8,but at least I recovered.A Hannebrink no trade is worth a try.Good luck. >>

I am going to send it in again.It will be worth the try the card is 7 material at least. >>

Good luck on it...the last 7 on Ebay sold for more than $500 and there are none higher. My previous reply said I cracked the Mays and sent it back.I didn't crack it the second time of course as they don't holder miscuts...but you get my drift.Had to say something...just looked stupid when I read it.
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>Good luck on it...the last 7 on Ebay sold for more than $500 and there are none higher. My previous reply said I cracked the Mays and sent it back.I didn't crack it the second time of course as they don't holder miscuts...but you get my drift.Had to say something...just looked stupid when I read it. >>

I sure do Steve,Thanks for you comments.I am going to give it another try.I paid book for this card a couple years ago and it would make me sick if I would have to throw it in the junk heap. >>

• Options
    Since this is the 59 board I thought I would post this here as well. All White Sox cards with no qualifiers

I have the following cards I would like to sell in one lot.

$340 Shipped

Card No. Player Name Grade
    22 1959 TOPPS AL SMITH 7
    30 1959 TOPPS NELLIE FOX 8
    86 1959 TOPPS BOB KEEGAN 7
    103 1959 TOPPS BILLY GOODMAN 7
    119 1959 TOPPS JOHN CALLISON 7
    138 1959 TOPPS JOHN ROMANO 7
    277 1959 TOPPS TURK LOWN 8
    293 1959 TOPPS RAY MOORE 7
    328 1959 TOPPS LOU SKIZAS 7
    341 1959 TOPPS TOM QUALTERS 7
    351 1959 TOPPS EARL TORGESON 7
    385 1959 TOPPS SHERM LOLLAR 8
    410 1959 TOPPS BILLY PIERCE 7
    426 1959 TOPPS JERRY STALEY 8
    438 1959 TOPPS SAM ESPOSITO 8
    453 1959 TOPPS LES MOSS 8
    477 1959 TOPPS BARRY LATMAN 8
    493 1959 TOPPS JIM LANDIS 8

PM me if interested.

Thanks,

Glen
  • Options
    I

Now, the exception. One of the dealers had a 1959 Shantz in PSA 8. It was nice for sure. They had it in cases with other cards they were going to put up in an auction that they were doing in a few weeks. I just can't remember which dealer it was. Anyway, he told me how he bought this Shantz raw at a Chicago show for $20 recently. He graded it and it came back an 8. I told him that I had a Shantz but might be interested in this one for a collecting friend. (I was thinking about Steve Park). Anyway, since his auctions had not been set up or started yet, he offered to sell me the Shantz if I wanted to buy it for my collecting friend. His price was $1500, no budge.....he based it on a recent ebay sale of that card and similar tough '59's. I said, "no thank you", and went on my way. I can't blame him though because it could go that high in an auction.

Other than the Shantz, I did not see any tough '59's in PSA 8 at the National. >>

Don,
    Thanks for thinking of me at the National.......looks like the dealer you talked to on the Shantz has decided to list it on Ebay along with some other very tough PSA 8's. It's unbelievable he could have a Shantz,Skowron All Star,Kiely, and R.C Stevens all at once.Scott must have really beat the bushes to find those. I was surprised that the Rice didn't get a bid last week....$1200+ had been the norm for that one since the first of the year.Maybe prices are coming back to reality since a few of the real heavy hitters have been silent lately........We'll know by next Sunday night.

Still looking for your Hoak
  • Options
    Steve....

The dealer who had the Shantz at the National definitely was not Scott Susor. So Scott's card is a different one....it is amazing how he has found these low pops that he has up now......and he was the one who sold the only PSA 9 R. C. Stevens recently on ebay as well. From what I understand, he puts a lot of time into finding cards, but it looks like it is paying off.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the Shantz.It's good to know there is another one out there waiting in the wings.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I was surprised at the price on the PSA 9 Stevens. A year or two ago that card would have closed over 2K. Makes me believe the set with Mastro's might be over priced at 33K plus the juice. A good time for the seller to unload the set. A better time would have been last year.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I really thought my Shantz had a good shot at an eight. At least the Stevens was not my card-I sent it in for a friend. I have found that about 20% of the 71s I send in have come back recolored. I have had them for a long time, so I am just out of luck.

I can attest that Susor scours the net for raw cards. I have lost many auctions to him, but I am nevous about buying raw. I have had some succes, but I have been burned as well. I bought the Ford, Shantz, Baker and Stuart raw on ebay. I figure I broke even on the 7s and came out way ahead on the 8. I will try to forget about the 5.

1 06456523 1961 TOPPS 160 WHITEY FORD N/A 7
    2 06456524 1959 TOPPS 222 BOBBY SHANTZ N/A 7
    3 06456525 1959 TOPPS 282 R.C. STEVENS N/A Not Holdered, Miscut
    4 06456526 1959 TOPPS 238 GENE BAKER N/A 5
    5 06456527 1959 TOPPS 223 CARDS TEAM N/A 6
    6 06456528 1971 TOPPS 630 ROBERTO CLEMENTE N/A Not Holdered, Re-Colored
    7 06456529 1971 TOPPS 570 JIM PALMER N/A 7
    8 06456530 1961 TOPPS 126 DICK STUART N/A 8

Date Received: 08/09/2006
    Date of Grades Posted: 08/14/2006
    Date Shipped: 08/14/2006

• Options
    Nice work Mark.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    All:

I've got six 1959's that I haven't been doing anything with - and I doubt I'll get around to this set soon. Am looking to sell the following PSA 7's. All are well centered and legitimately high end for the grade. I have posted the ultra-tough Triandos on this thread before - it is the only one that is a clear 7, the rest are 7.5 to 7.95 type cards. The Burdette is gorgeous and s/b an 8.

Not my intention to spam this board, so pm me if interested - I thought the Triandos and the Mays would be of interest here.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Steve/Don:

The PSA 8 Shantz that is on EBAY right now IMHO does not meet the 8 grading guidelines with respect to centering. Too far off top to bottom to be an 8.

AZ