Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I'm glad someone started a 1959 thread. I have decided that my next major project will be a PSA 8 set from the 50s and, except for a 1952 Topps PSA 5-6 set, I think I settled on this one. Some of the cards are striking, especially the Frank Robinson, the presence of Musial, the Gibson RC, and the nice all-star and other subsets make this seem to be a real winner while still being at least somewhat economically feasible (Shantz and other low pops will just have to wait while I collect the other 500 cards). I look forward to making my first acquisitions soon, and it's good to see it has lively support.

Did I say Mazeroski? Duh.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    helionaut....

Welcome to the 1959 set! It would be great to have you join all of the '59 crazies on this set. For starters, there are a lot of cards that you can pick up for a good price (without breaking the bank) to get you started. Do you plan to put them on the registry when you start so we can follow your progress? I am glad to hear that you have chosen this set to collect. It is a great one and one that I think you will truly enjoy. Let me know if I can offer any assistance.

Now, to the PSA 9 Bill Skowron that Jay had on ebay......duke of mint was the winner at $2247!! It is an incredible card and went for an incredible price......whew!! This is on the heels of the PSA 8 Shantz that went for $1500+ recently. 1959 Topps baseball Yankees are a very hot item.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    DON - The Jim Coates also topped a thousand. Wish I had more Yankees to offer...jay
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Here are the Moose & Coates cards.

• Options
    Does anyone remember how much the last Skowron All Star brought on Ebay ? There's another one up now.
  • Options
    Hi Steve....

First of all, welcome to the CU forum! The last Skowron AS PSA 8 went for $921 on ebay......I should know.....I was the winning bidder. image
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Welcone Steve!

Prices on these 59's are just crazy.
  • Options
    The prices on a select number of tough commons is very crazy now,but once you get past the first tier of bidders,the prices fall off the table.Seems there are about six or seven people all shooting for an 8.0 set.
    Now would be a great time to start a set,as most PSA 8 commons are very reasonable and some very nice 7's can be had for next to nothing.If PSA runs another $8 special like they did last fall,I think we'll see another large quantity of 59's hit the market making it that much more economical to build a quality set.
    Don.thanks starting the thread.It's good to see the interest is out there for our beloved 59's,especially the folks thinking of starting a set.
  • Options
    You're right Steve in that once you get past the first tier, prices drop off. But that is the same thing that happened 2-3 years ago when I was finishing my set. There were 3-4 guys that bid outrageously (seems cheap now) to finish their sets. It will happen again due to the popularity of the set and the cheap commons PSA 8.

I saw the same thing happen with 57s when I broke my set and sold off the mid series on line. They went crazy. But the lesser commons weren't bringing squat but now they have edged up to the $40-50 range. It will happen to 59s. Should push the whole value of the set upward.

Remember, this is the last year that baseball cards weren't mass produced by Topps.
  • Options
    I am putting the 59 White Sox team set toghether in PSA 8 if anyone has any double commons.

Here is what I have now.

277 1959 TOPPS TURK LOWN PSA 8
    385 1959 TOPPS SHERM LOLLAR PSA 8
    426 1959 TOPPS JERRY STALEY PSA 8
    453 1959 TOPPS LES MOSS PSA 8
    477 1959 TOPPS BARRY LATMAN PSA 8
    493 1959 TOPPS JIM LANDIS PSA 8

Thanks,

Glen
  • Options
    Time to add a few scans.......these two cards are very recently acquired cards for my set.

Finding Mint 9's in the All Star cards is tough.

The '59 Skowron AS card in PSA 8 is on a lot of wantlists. I paid more for this card than any other card in my set except for the Mantle.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Very nice tread...initially I put this set together completely ungraded...in fact I might have one of the nices ungraded complete set out there...I'm a centering freak and if you can believe it all of my set is 50/50 or very near to it...though I think the set is filled with 7's and 8's...I'm not sure PSA would agree...and I don't care...they are for my amusement only...

Needless to say I started gathering a graded set (I have no intention of grading my completed set)...and have been lucky enough to pick-up a couple of very nice cards even some really hard to find such as the very difficult #11 Mike Hunter (50/50 perfect centering)...

By far my favorite set...at this point I'm 33rd on the list...not in a hurry...as I am extremely picky...anal would be better...

Thanks everyone for sharing...really enjoyed this...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    Well,I picked up the Skowron All Star the other night on Ebay,thanks to Don's coaching.I agree it is a nice one.That leaves me 22 short of getting to my goal of all 8's and 9's.I still have some real tough ones to go,but would appreciate any help that might be out there.I already have both,but has anyone else noticed the difficulty in finding #237 Run Preventers and #519 Infield Power cards in an 8 or better? I've been at this for about 18 months now and don't remember either one coming up on Ebay.Those two even though some others have lower pops are as tough as any I've encountered.
    Here's my list,like I said before,any help would be appreciated.

#1 Ford Frick
    #5 Dick Donovan
    #11 Billy Hunter
    #38 Morrie Martin
    #61 Dick Brown
    #68 Dick Schofield
    #109 Bob Schmidt
    #115 Mickey Vernon
    #142 Dick Stigman
    #146 Jerry Zimmerman
    #195 Rip Repulski
    #197 Ray Semproch
    #222 Bobby Shantz
    #271 Orlando Pena
    #282 R C Stevens
    #511 George Susce
    #534 Faye Throneberry
    #541 Bob Thurman
    #556 Nellie Fox AS
    #567 Del Crandell AS
    #570 Bob Turley AS
    #572 Billy Pierce AS

I'll keep looking for a Hoak for Don....hope the rest of you will ,too.He's been a great help to a lot of us.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Followed those Skowrons on Ebay from the sidelines. Not far enough into the set to spend that much yet, although I look forward to picking up a few of the tougher cards.

About 12% into the set so far on graded in 7 and 8, with about 30 raw or in other slabs waiting to be graded. Can't get off the road long enough or find the time to list the set.

If anyone is looking to unload well centered 7s and 8s as they upgrade, I'm looking to buy.

Barkus - I keep checking your Naxcom list and perhaps soon I'll contact you about a few.

Keep the thread going. It's really helping us new guys learn more about the details of this set and changed my buying trend to looking more closely at 8s rather than 7s. Thanks.

Keith

• Options
    BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    Keith,
    I don't plan to list my 59s on Naxcom. If I have any that you want send me a pm and lets work out a deal directly. There is no sense paying fees to Naxcom if not necessary. If I don't sell the 59s directly, I plan to list them on ebay when I have time. I have a huge number of new cards to list and the 59s are among my priorities.

David
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    Steve, your list is indeed a tough one. It is one of those things that you will just have to plug away at, one card at a time. It will not be easy to get all of the cards on your list. You are right, two unspoken tough cards are Run Preventers and Infield Power. Come to think of it, I have not seen either one available in a very very long time.

To all, Steve's set is a very impressive one. He is currently tied for 9th on the registry. It is worth checking out.

Steve, I really appreciate it that you are on the lookout for a Hoak for me!

Keith, speaking for the '59er's, we are glad that you have joined the ranks. Look forward to seeing your set listed on the registry (when you have the time) and watching it grow. I am really low on dupe cards right now, but as soon as I acquire some more, I will post it here so you can contact me. Yes, we intend to keep the thread alive.....there is still a lot of info and pics that can be shared on the '59 set.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I am hanging on by a thread at spont #20, needing just a few cards to complete. If anyone has a Billy Pierce All Star PSA 8 for under $100,000, please contact me.Also, what is th e deal with the Cardinals Team card? I must have had dozens of them when I was a kid, I guess they all got their checklist marked.

Joe Smo, I hate you. :-).
    Currently working on 1959 Topps PSA set, now # 20
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Joe Schmo has won quite a few from me on feebay! Come to think of it....I think you've won a few too! Welcome aboard!

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I am currently #10 due to several folks on this board that has helped me out.I just got back my lastest SUB with a Morrie Martin in an 8 which was a GAI 7.5 .Your list is indeed tough especially the Hunter & Schofield in which I had to settle for a 6.My tougest find at the moment is a HANEBRINK NO TRADE.I submitted one to psa which I really believed had a strong chance for an 8 however it came back as a miscut and for the life of me I surely do not see it.I would like to post it to show other 59 set builders and ask for thier opinion however my posting skills are mediocre at best akthough I may later.GOOD LUCK WITH THE SET!!!

59er for life!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    If the card looks good resubmit it. I would bet that it comes back with a grade next time.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options

<< <i>If anyone has a Billy Pierce All Star PSA 8 for under $100,000, please contact me. >>

You can have mine for $98k less than that.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    Here is what I need

1. GIANTS TEAM 69 UPGRADE 6----to 7 or better
    2. DEL RICE 104 UPGRADE 6 probably won't happen
    3. JIM DAVENPORT 198 UPGRADE 8 O/C who am I kidding?
    4. LEO KIELY 199 UPGRADE 6
    5. BOBBY SHANTZ 222 UPGRADE 6
    6. CARDS TEAM 223 MISSING
    7. VIC POWER 229 UPGRADE 8O/C
    8. BILLY ODELL 250 MISSING
    9. HARRY HANEBRINK 322 MISSING
    10. JOE KOPPE 517 UPGRADE 6
    11. INFIELD POWER 519 UPGRADE 6
    12. ELMER SINGLETON 548 MISSING
    13. BILLY PIERCE 572 MISSING
    ...and 389 Joe Nuxall
  • Options

The one on the left I sent to PSA

Here is the back

Here is the grade. Can anyone tell me why? I've seen a lot worse diamond cuts in PSA 7 and 8 holders.

Yes, I submitted it TWICE!

• Options
    On the Pierce AS, I can't tell for sure but it does look like the left border does have an uneven cut by Topps. I have had several cards where one of the borders had a distinct uneven cut and got the same Miscut back from PSA.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If anyone has a Billy Pierce All Star PSA 8 for under $100,000, please contact me. >>

You can have mine for $98k less than that. >>

Hmmmm, let me think on this for a while. I could probably buy it and auction it on eBay, where Park and Joesmo would bid it up to $5,000, even though they already have one.

• Options

<< <i>Joe Schmo has won quite a few from me on feebay! Come to think of it....I think you've won a few too! Welcome aboard!

image >>

I need to bid on a couple of your listings.
  • Options
    The last Pierce All Star PSA 8 sold on Ebay for $898 and I didn't bid on it...and I don't have it in an 8.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You can have mine for $98k less than that. >>

Hmmmm, let me think on this for a while. I could probably buy it and auction it on eBay, where Park and Joesmo would bid it up to $5,000, even though they already have one.

image >>

I was being a bit tongue in cheek on that post.

I went to the National in Atlanta in 1999 and was basically just collecting HOfers at the time. In a conversation with a major dealor, I heard him talk about how tough the 59 Pierce AS card was in NMMT 8 (he said he thought it was the toughest card of the 50s and 60s to get in an 8). I could not believe it when he told me how much he would pay for one at the time ($600). This was before the set registry "explosion". Recollection of that conversation is really the reason I bought that card several years later. I really like the 59 set, but when I see cards like the Amaro going for $713, the Del Rice at $1,497, the R.C. Stevens at $798, and the Bobby Shantz at $1,525 all in PSA 8s, I realize that I would not be able to complete it in my lifetime at those kind of prices. Do I think the Pierce AS is worth $2,000? Heck no. Do I think one day 2 bidders who have been trying for years to get that card might bid $2,000? Possibly.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options

<< <i>The last Pierce All Star PSA 8 sold on Ebay for $898 and I didn't bid on it...and I don't have it in an 8. >>

OK. I was being sarcastic all the way around.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I was being a bit tongue in cheek on that post.

I went to the National in Atlanta in 1999 and was basically just collecting HOfers at the time. In a conversation with a major dealor, I heard him talk about how tough the 59 Pierce AS card was in NMMT 8 (he said he thought it was the toughest card of the 50s and 60s to get in an 8). I could not believe it when he told me how much he would pay for one at the time ($600). This was before the set registry "explosion". Recollection of that conversation is really the reason I bought that card several years later. I really like the 59 set, but when I see cards like the Amaro going for $713, the Del Rice at $1,497, the R.C. Stevens at $798, and the Bobby Shantz at $1,525 all in PSA 8s, I realize that I would not be able to complete it in my lifetime at those kind of prices. Do I think the Pierce AS is worth $2,000? Heck no. Do I think one day 2 bidders who have been trying for years to get that card might bid $2,000? Possibly. >>

Oh, I was being facitious, too. I would never pay that kind of bucks for that card. I'm probably going to send in one of my EXs and be content with a 5. There's too many other things to spend that kind of money on, like travel.
  • Options
    A Del Rice PSA 7 just hit the eBay auction block. It is O/C both ways, but how picky can you be with this card. Straight 7, NQ. I think I'll bid....
  • Options
    Good luck on that Rice card! They all look pretty much this way.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this has been a hot card on these boards, I'll show off my Triandos. Bottom 2 corners are lightly touched, but centering is as nice as you will see, and surface is glossy and clean. Some positively beautiful cards on this thread!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Mike, I can honestly say that that is the best centered Triandos that I have ever seen. If it had the corners, it would be the best Triandos on the planet. My 8 is not centered as well as yours, although it is a nice one. Congrats to you. This just proves that nice 7's have tremendous eye appeal and are just great cards.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I agree,that is the nicest Triandos as far as centering that I've seen,too. Just an awesome card. It seems that the graders at PSA have put more emphasis on corners rather than centering lately. I noticed that a lot of the 7's I was upgrading had better eye appeal than some of the 8's I was replacing them with. At least that was my opinion....I guess I just appreciate centering more than razor sharp corners. I also noticed that my resubmissions were being moved up to an 8 about 50% of the time Did anyone else see the same thing,or was I just lucky?
  • Options
    Thanks fellas. I actually got the Triandos from Goose's (and his Dad's) seemingly endless pile of gorgeous cards along with some other nicely centered 7's.

I've been resubmitting quite a few vintage cards too, with about a 50% success rate on bumps (mostly 7's to 8's). I'd agree that they seem more focused on technical grades rather than overall eye appeal.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    About cracking out and resubmitting.....

I have done that only when I feel that the card has a good chance at a higher grade.....which means that I have inspected it very closely. I have had similar success rates but I think it is because I have already weeded out the cards that will not bump higher. What I crack and resubmit has a good chance (based on my expertise) of being graded higher because they have the qualities of a higher grade. Hence, the excellent success rate. I imagine that is true with you too, Steve and Mike.

You, too, know what it takes to get a PSA 8. So, 50% is not lucky but rather a close inspection of 7's you have knowing that upon resubbing, there is a good chance at an 8 based on the qualities of the cards.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Here are some more scans of vintage gems.....I love these cards!!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don - that Harry Bright looks like HD TV - boy, is it crisp!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Well as soon as I said I hadn't seen an Infield Power card in an 8 on Ebay for the past 18 months,one pops tonight.Be curious to see what it brings
    Infield Power

Don't think he has an image posted yet.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about the bad scan. Here's my PSA 8 Killebrew.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Well as soon as I said I hadn't seen an Infield Power card in an 8 on Ebay for the past 18 months,one pops tonight.Be curious to see what it brings
    Infield Power

Don't think he has an image posted yet. >>

• Options
    The Infield Power will do well, no question about it. Brian is a world class seller too.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Here's another Infield Power on eBay

Maybe Joeshmo will win the other one and I'll have a chance....OOps, he's already been outbid by another wildman.
  • Options
    Can anyone explain why the Cards Team card #223 is so elusive? I know that the populations report for this card and the adjacent card, Bobby Shantz are fairly low, but what are the prevailing theories? Is it a checklist being marked issue? I have had zero luck in obtaining this card in PSA 7 or 8.

EDIT: Ditto for Billy ODell, too.
  • Options
    Infield Power.....$522.69 Insane.
  • Options
    How much higher than $100 would you have bid? Just curious.....
  • Options

<< <i>How much higher than $100 would you have bid? Just curious..... >>

Not much, if any. I have a PSA 6 and even though I am obsessed with the 1959 Topps, I am not insanely obsessed. I bid 100 times for every item I actually win. This will not last forever, i.e., these outrageous prices. These high auction prices have been bringing cards out of the woodwork, and I suspect that there will be a more plentiful supply before all is said and done.
  • Options
    You might not ever own one then. As I said in a previous thread, when I was building my set, there were maybe 4-5 guys bidding what I considered were high prices at that time. So after this lot, there will be some one else since the 59 set is the last vintage baseball set not mass produced by Topps. My 1961 set was extremely easy to finish compared to the 59 set.

If you understand that, then you'll understand why some cards like the Schantz and Infield Power are so hard to find in high grade. There just are not a lot of copies available that meet the qualifications for a PSA 7 or 8. In the raw state, I have maybe 8 each of Triandos, Singleton, Schantz, Cards Team, Amaro, etc. that are 90-10 or worse.

So my last point is....how many nicely centered Del Rice PSA 8s are there of the PSA 8 population? Not many. So what is someone going to not only pay for an 8 but a nicely centered 8? The sky is the limit not only today but 2 years from today. You want to finish the set, step up to the plate.

• Options

<< <i>You might not ever own one then. The sky is the limit not only today but 2 years from today. You want to finish the set, step up to the plate. >>

Spoken like an ambitious seller. I have been stepping up to the plate for year, but that doesn't mean that I have to offer at every pitch thrown. I have managed to complete over 98% of my set in PSA 7s & 8s without paying what I consider to be exorbitant prices. For example, I recently purchased a nicely centered Billy Consolo 8 for just over $22. I have seen this card go for over $100 on eBay. As card owners notice these inflated prices, more cards will hit PSA for grading and more graded cards will hit the marketplace. I fully understand that there is a finite number of these cards, but the recent realized prices will result in a lot of churning. I've seen it already in cards like Nellie Fox, one of the very few cards that I think I paid too much for.

Like I said, I already own a PSA 6 of Infield Power, not an enviable card, but I'll be d*mned if I'll pay $500 for Runnels, Gernert and Malzone in my lifetime.

This sort of thing is insane.