Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

The debate on what to do with SF and BS coins continues.

Comments

• TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>Let's see some progress before we get to 700! >>

AMEN to that!

Timimage
  • Orphans find home:

orphan coin 1

2005P CA PCGS 68

orphan coin 2

2005D West Virginia PCGS 68

For the amount of money spent on these 2 coins, you would think there would be a spot in the
    registry where they are truly recognized. By the way, there was a third ms68 orpan last night, an
    Or quarter that was bid at $700 the last I seen, guess that one didn't sell at that level, it's not
    showing up.

Edited because, once again, the fingers think independently image
  • CoinFameCoinFame Posts: 647
    I'd say @ $775, it's a low premium for pop 11 & Pop 8. Congratulations to the winner of those Business Strikes. Those are tough coins!

Seth
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd say @ $775, it's a low premium for pop 11 & Pop 8. Congratulations to the winner of those Business Strikes. Those are tough coins! >>

Comparing these low pop Business Strike coins to the more common Satin Finish coins these sound like bargain price's.

If they only had a home in the PCGS Set Registry for the buyer to display them in.

Congrat's to the winner, great coins!!!!

Tim, 2 more "Orphan's" added to the list image
  • I have to admit, after seeing those coins go for the amount spent, I kind of feel like a thief in the night when I consider what I paid for my 68's. At the time, I thought they were expensive, but, now I realize that I got hella deals on all of them! image
  • What about the $1k pd for the KS-D in 68, is that still considered stupid money now that it has held at a pop 3 coin? After admonishing my testostrone and passing on a KS-D in 68 for $700 as reported on the thread who is the smart one after all? I have more stupid money to spend for coins I need. dr
    Leaders step out and take the calculated risk, through both the ridicule and applause. Sometimes they win and sometimes they don't, but in the end, they're #1 leading the pack with courage and humility. image
    Seth
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Leaders step out and take the calculated risk, through both the ridicule and applause. Sometimes they win and sometimes they don't, but in the end, they're #1 leading the pack with courage and humility."

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Leaders step out and take the calculated risk, through both the ridicule and applause. Sometimes they win and sometimes they don't, but in the end, they're #1 leading the pack with courage and humility. >>

Very well said Seth!
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭
    I'm proud to see the business strike coins, in all series, doing well. It shows that what many, along with myself said hundreds of posts back. Business strikes brought us to where coin collecting is today, and no SF, or SMS coin is going to push it from its throne. It's the king, always has been, always will be, and no pretender put out by the US Mint, or it's minions, are going to push it off its throne. Go ahead, push it out of the mint sets, tell us he's not a real business strike, take his place in the registry away. You can never take the rolls and mint bags from us, and we "WILL" find him where ever you hide him, he's ours and we love him.
    LONG LIVE THE KING.......

Dan
    For the last few post's

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    This thread started January 21, 2006, now we are in May. Everyone knew that the population reports weren't going to be corrected overnight, but this is now becoming ridiculous if not ludicrous. This issue has gotten to the point that PCGS needs to address the reasons why they have not corrected the population reports yet and show the customers a little transparency of the decision process ("good faith" effort to explain the hold up).

As far as the orphans go, again I can not understand when a set in the Registry purporting to being "Kennedy Half Dollars Complete Set (1964 - Present)", and this set includes business strike, SMS, silver proof, clad proof and even an Accent Hair Proof (if it was made by the mint in a distinct and clearly different manner the coin was given it's own slot in the set), but PCGS will not give a seperate slot for 2005 and or 2006 P&D Satin Finish and Business Strike coins.

Getting back to the population reports, with all the work being done by WCQX, Wondercoin, rb7557, mas3387 and others, PCGS needs to step up to the plate and explain why they have not corrected the reports. There is no nice way of saying this, David Hall is the "top dog" at PCGS and he needs to knock some heads togother to find out what the hold up is? Mr. Hall needs to hire someone to take care of this matter and fire who ever has been dragging the feet of PCGS in completing this task.

Mr. Hall, if you read this: It is embarrassing when my nine year old asked his ninety-two year young great - grandmother to knit some sweaters for his orphans because "you" won't let them be with their brothers and they are being stored seperately.

Mitch, any luck with the "gentle reminder"?

I've vented enough for this week,
    Tim image

Edited for spelling.
    "Mitch, any luck with the "gentle reminder"?"

Tim: Sorry I was not able to respond to your question sooner - I have been out of town since Friday (and still am).

I need to get with DH on a number of coin related issues - I will try to get an appointment to see him next week. As it relates to this particular thread, I plan on asking DH: (1) if the state quarter pop report corrections are near completion and, if not, if he can step in and make it happen even quicker; (2) when PCGS will launch the variety set of State quarters - a set approved many months ago; (3) how he plans on addressing the other denominations of 2005 non-SF coinage (e.g. the "orphan" Kennedy half dollars, etc). Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Bushmaster8 summed it up well back in JANUARY (for God's sake!):

As it is clear that PCGS does not have the ability, or talent, or quality control, or just plain doesn't have

the will, to get it right on both the SF/ non-SF, as well as the 65-67 SMS coins, they should either

refuse to grade them or grade them for free.

Charging "us" for an inferior product, and we line up to give them our money... it is indeed a sad state

of affairs. Take one feather from PCGS's cap and give them a black eye instead, say I.

I haven't participated much at all in this thread but I have been reading along..mostly out of curiosity about what, if anything, PCGS will decide to do about designating non-SF and SF coins in some of the other denominations besides SQ's. Black eye is right and this is getting ridiculous. TAKE A STAND FOR GOD'S SAKE PCGS...WE ARE ALREADY INTO 2006!!! IT'S BEEN 4 MONTHS. IS ANYBODY HOME?????????
  • XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Seth..........image.......image......Very well said.

• Mitch's thoughts behind the opening statement of this thread had to do with people being able to afford the lower priced satin finish coins and being able to put them in the registry.

Anybody care to take a guess as to why this happened a tt with satin finish halves?

Here is the population:

96788 2005-P 50C Satin Finish ms70 7
    ms69 226
    ms68 827
    ms67 244
    ms66 20
    a straggler ms64 1

Previous Price History from Teletrade®
    Apr 26 2006 Half Dollar 2005P PCGS 69 Satin Finish $134*
    Apr 23 2006 Half Dollar 2005P PCGS 69 Satin Finish $123*
    Mar 5 2006 Half Dollar 2005P PCGS 69 Satin Finish $112*
    Jan 8 2006 Half Dollar 2005P PCGS 69 Satin Finish $101*
    * Please note prices include buyer's premium where applicable.

Auction 2201 • Lot 1735 • Monday, May 8, 2006 Previous Lot • Next lot
    Half Dollar 2005P PCGS 69 Satin Finish
    Current: $625 • "Next" Bid: $650 Max Bid:

Auction 2201 • Lot 1736 • Monday, May 8, 2006 Previous Lot • Next lot
    Half Dollar 2005P PCGS 69 Satin Finish
    Current: $625 • "Next" Bid: $650 Max Bid:

I was the idiot that paid the $134 of Apr 26. But now it appears that there are some out there that needed these pretty bad.

Any comments? Mitch? Anyone?????

What about the pcgs price guide amount of $115 and its gone up. image I guess it has!!!

Edited cause I screwed up! Again!!! image
    "Any comments? Mitch? Anyone?????"

Roger: My guess is simply an errouneously entered couple of reserves in play with coins that will not sell (and even if they do sell, I would still offer that date/grade to anyone for a small fraction of that sales price who asks me about them). Your purchase price was reasonable a couple weeks back; in fact, I would not be surprised to see the coins move up closer to $200/coin in the months ahead IMHO. But, of course, even if they do, the non-SF example(s) in MS68 will still command many, many multiples of that price level.

But, speaking of truly tough 2005 SF coins, I slabbed a couple of PCGS-MS69 WV(d) coins last week (that's 3 I handled and 1 DR handled of the new pop 4/0 coin) . Both coins are spoken for, but, I do plan on trying to slab (1) more coin, which I believe is fully deserving.

Wondercoin

• Mitch you may be right. Now the WV-D I could see getting a top bid like that, probably more.
  • And congratulations on the grades! image
  • Mitch, nice score on the WV-D SF69. Did they come from or were they as nice as the ones you went to Longbeach to see in the ANACS holders? dr
    Ok one last time for those of you that prefer to live in a fantasy world.
    Satin finish coins WERE NOT put into circulation strike sets to save you money.
    Low pop highest grade SF coins are going to cost you just like the business strikes do.
    Your top dealers make a living selling coins for top dollar.
    They are going to try to sell what ever they have for TOP DOLLAR.
    Now remember this, no dealer has ever lost sleep selling coins at the highest price they could get for them.
    And anyone who tells you different is full of MALARKY!!!!! Nuff said.
    Dan
    Doug: You are missing some words there image

If I told you they came out of bank wrapped rolls, I assume you wouldn't believe it anyway image

Wondercoin
  • There is a great deal said in silence and in jest. dr

• << <i>There is a great deal said in silence and in jest. dr >>

Words of wisdom my friend.

<< <i>I haven't participated much at all in this thread but I have been reading along..mostly out of curiosity about what, if anything, PCGS will decide to do about designating non-SF and SF coins in some of the other denominations besides SQ's. Black eye is right and this is getting ridiculous. TAKE A STAND FOR GOD'S SAKE PCGS...WE ARE ALREADY INTO 2006!!! IT'S BEEN 4 MONTHS. IS ANYBODY HOME????????? >>

In a word.........No! Well at least as far as the subject(s) of this thread is concerned.

<< <i> need to get with DH on a number of coin related issues - I will try to get an appointment to see him next week. As it relates to this particular thread, I plan on asking DH: (1) if the state quarter pop report corrections are near completion and, if not, if he can step in and make it happen even quicker; (2) when PCGS will launch the variety set of State quarters - a set approved many months ago; (3) how he plans on addressing the other denominations of 2005 non-SF coinage (e.g. the "orphan" Kennedy half dollars, etc). Wondercoin. >>

Another week has come and gone.............. Mitch: Just wondering if you had the chance to have your appointment with MR. Hall? Does anyone want to wager if the population reports will be done or the Orphans have a home before the 2007 coinage is issued?
    imageimageimage
    "Mitch: Just wondering if you had the chance to have your appointment with MR. Hall?"

Tim: I am getting closer. DH had time to see me on Friday and his assistant asked if I wanted to lock in the time slot. Unfortunately, my schedule could not accomodate that particular time. So, I will try to set something up for early next week.

Wondercoin
  • Well here it is May 16, in the year of our lord 2006, and PCGS still hasn't taken care of the pop report. Even though there was a helluva lot of work and efforts put into cleaning it up by private collectors/dealers, to date, the grading service which is supposed to be the best in the land, hasn't done it's job and taken care of their internal problems. Comon already! What is the big holdup????????image
    from http://www.pcgs.com/new_set_registry/news.chtml

2/5/03
    Varieties Policy
    Here's how we handle varieties for Set Registry purposes.

1. In most series where there are varieties recognized by PCGS, we will have two possible sets, a "Basic Set" that does not include varieties, and a "With Varieties Set" that does include varieties.

2. In most cases, the "With Varieties Set" will include every variety recognized by PCGS that has a total PCGS Population in all grades of at least 5 coins.

3. PCGS will review all varieties currently recognized. We will start recognizing considerably more varieties. There is also a chance that we will stop recognizing a few very marginal varieties.

4. A few of the "Basic Sets" will actually include a few traditional varieties. For example, the Basic Lincoln cent set will include the 1909-S VDB and 1909 VDB and the Morgan dollar set will include both the 1878-7TF and 1878-8TF.

5. If you want to have a new variety recognized by PCGS, make the suggestion to us. If we agree it is a significant variety, we will poll the top Registry set holders for that series and if the majority of them want the new variety recognized, we'll do it.
  • ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    If we agree it is a significant variety, we will poll the top Registry set holders for that series and if the majority of them want the new variety recognized, we'll do it.

Furthermore, one has to wonder what constitutes a "top registry set holder" (Top 5, Top 10, Top 20?) and why all "registry set holders" in that particular series cannot have a say in the matter as well? image
    I met with DH today. Details to follow tonight after I dig myself out of this pile of work.

Wondercoin

<< <i>I met with DH today. Details to follow tonight after I dig myself out of this pile of work. >>

Work can wait, Give us the scoop!! The orphans are out in the cold and it wet out there! image
    Tim: Fair enough...

1. DH is totally aware of the pop clean up that needs to occur with the 2005 state quarters. There is a software application that is very close to being fully installed that the job has been waiting on. DH expects the software to be fully operational end of next week.

2, DH is reviewing the state quarter with varieities set.

3. DH was receptive to the idea of a Kennedy Half Dollar variety set as well and plans to discuss the concept with his graders.

We agreed to folow up on everything next week.

Wondercoin
    Mitch - Thank you.
    Mitch, you won the gentlemen's handshake:

2005-P PCGS MS67 KANSAS Flag State Quarter

Very respectable coin in MS67. Anyone find out where the 68 is??? image
    Seth
    Seth: Thanks. The values have been cut in half on the MS67 coins. But, the values on the MS68 specimens I believe have only become stronger this year. So, overall, a good situation for those who stepped up and purchased the top pops.

Wondercoin
    It is nice to see the MS67s at an affordable, yet respectable price. The MS68s are certainly strong. It looks like there's a coin in everyone's price range, so it is a good thing for all collectors. image
    Seth
  • golddustingolddustin Posts: 838 ✭✭
    I read the first 10-15 pages of this thread when it first was put forth, and have not revisited until today - I must say that I am both glad & sad that it is still going.

I'm glad due to the fact that there are enough folks upset by PCGS's stance that they keep posting & prodding in an effort to effect a change in the misguided registry rules (sorry, Mitch!)image

I'm sad that the issue has not been addressed yet and so many collectors are left "twisting in the wind" until a definitive answer is produced by PCGS.

I'm sure that somewhere in the thread the issue of weighting has come up, and I think that that is the easiest and fairest way to deal with the Mint's decision. The difference between the SF coins and circulation strike coins is just much too large to grade them on the same scale.

It is also news to me that a seasoned collector can take a look at twenty 1999 BU SHQs and be able to tell which came from rolls & which came from unc sets.....I find this very hard to believe, but possibly it's true. I would have to take the stand of a Missourian - SHOW ME!

The Mint has put PCGS between a rock and a hard place with the decision to change finishes in mid-issue, but the difference in surface finishes are so evident that PCGS should not have created more problems with the 'mechanical errors' (if, indeed, that's what they originally were!) - and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to fix them, especially if the collecting community joined in & returned the mislabeled coins. With the interest and passion that this thread has stirred up ( kudos, Mitch), it doesn't seem like too much of a reach to think that the registry quality coins involved could be taken off the market and relabeled (at no cost) with accurate data.

Just my thoughts....Chuck
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    This brings back memories of being made to wait forever for the results of the study regarding whether or not PCGS' grading had gotten tighter.

Make a decision, take care of business and let's move on, for Pete's sake.

I'm getting tired of looking at this thread everyday..... no offense to the originator, of course. image

<< <i>We agreed to folow up on everything next week. >>

Mitch - Another week has passed, any news for the Orphans?

Thanks,
    Timimage
    Tim's Orphans have been kicked out of their house by a variety coin and want to get back in

Here's a cake for their 1'st birthday
  • Hoilday update
    New Pop out - NO CORRECTIONS
  • No revised pop reports, no new variety sets for 05 and newer circulating coins, orphan coins abound without a true place in the registry. And now rumors are floating around that 06 SF coins have been released with business strikes. I guess a "thank you" is owed to the
    U.S. Mint for their wisdom and forsight. They have taken collecting to a new level. Now instead of waiting for the new mint sets to reveal
    hidden treasures, they're just a can of worms waiting to be opened. What a mess they have truly created. And for all of their professional
    grading abilities, the TPG's just don't have the ability tell the difference between the 2 strikes, let alone the desire to keep their marketing ploys (ie registry sets) clean and pure. I have to wonder what other injustices are in store for collectors in the future.

Happy Birthday to the 05 orphans. A year since their arrival, and still no place to call "home".
  • rb7557
    Speaking only for the 2006 statehood quarters, grade wise I do not think it has ever been tighter. If these look like SF coins why have there only been 2 MS68s graded so far?

I have not given up hope that TPG will be able to tell difference and the end user can trust the label on the coin and the pop report.

With this said I can not agree with you more about correcting the KNOWN errors on the pop report and have some way where the business strike collector can be rewarded.
  • I was refering to this thread I think Mark said a mouthful!
    I also had a chance to review the coins that Datentype spoke of and I agree,

<< <i>not even close >>

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will agree with Mark that it is very unlikely that 2006 SF dies are being used by the mint this early in the year. Also I have some B/S and SF coins and anybody that is not blind can usually see the difference. Yes there is that one in a million super coin that will fool even the best graders but there have been those forever. It just happens that they usually end up at the surer market in the change drawer.

Thanks for the help on the Nebraska coins mas3387.
    LindeDad

PM sent image

<< <i>I have not given up hope that TPG will be able to tell difference and the end user can trust the label on the coin and the pop report. >>

As of right now, that's a REAL GRAY subject, trusting the label. Seems the MECH. ERROR thing leaves a big loophole in the trust dept.
    Dan
  • Anyone going to the Long Beach Coin Show out in Southern California?

<< <i>Anyone going to the Long Beach Coin Show out in Southern California? >>

It is on wrong coast for me. If the show was in my area, you could regonize me as being the one in front of the PCGS booth with a picket sign stating "ORPHANS need HOMES" or "GIVE US HOMES FOR ORPHANS"image