Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Let's get this thread back up front.
    Also, many AFL players have been notably overlooked. Hey, Gino is Mr. Patriot for goodness sake! And I think we can all agree on Johnny Robinson.
    On a side note - there have been several players who were deceased before induction. I would have loved to hear Reggie and definitely JR. , but not having Stabler there broke my heart some.
  • Who did'nt show for the 2016 inductee Sunday signing?
  • I always felt, Chucking Charlie Conerly and safety Jimmie Patton were worthy Veterans committee selections! Have a NY Giants bias?
  • I agree on Conerly
  • Google Jimmy Patton, he has amazing stats and was over shadowed by Em Tunnel. Jimmy belongs, great kick returner and a nose for the football. Did all 5 inductees show up for the Sunday signing in Canton??
  • YES on Patton ! He's is absolutely one of those guys who are my "cult guys " who merit strong consideration !!
    On mobile now....Will com back to this.
    Ps Conerly too, bt hardly a more obscure guy
  • raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭
    Been a while - everyone OK?

WAY disappointed with the contributor members this year. Also think Jerry Kramer is over due for a senior nod. Is it sad that the contributor setup was redesigned to give some guys warranted recognition, but I wouldn't put either of this years into the hall (even though I think Jerry will make it - not sure why Tag is up in the middle of the concussion scandals etc).
    Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: GONEBATS
    I always felt, Chucking Charlie Conerly and safety Jimmie Patton were worthy Veterans committee selections! Have a NY Giants bias?

Yes and as you know I'm a Giants fan. Patton maybe, Conerly no,Young yes

Well since no one has opinions on the nominees I'll show off some more pieces from Jeffrey. Most of these will be available - if interested in anything just LMK.

First a 6x8 Custom of the Purple People Eaters:

Some HOFers:

A few Heisman winners:

And some more college greats along with a full name Pele from the first game he ever played in the US:

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • That Purple People Eaters piece is TREMENDOUS!!
  • So Derrick -
    I knew you had some great stuff in that matchbook collection lot !
    Those look beautiful - very nicely done , as usual. I picked up about 30-40 of these things from you including...Jimmy Patton! Who is starring on the thread this month ! (and have yet to leave you feedback . Whatta putz! - I'll fix it - I swear.)
    These are tailor made size for those customs - the Lombardi was great. Was that the 1st one you did?

My thoughts on the Veterans Committee nominations :
    First,the Commish: Taliabue.
    This should come as no surprise since every NFL Commissioner since 1946 is in the Hall - both of them. What they all have in common is the continued growth and success of the league to unprecedented heights . Now, I don't believe this is entirely their doing ,per se, as much as it was the growth of travel & communication, technology, marketing avenues - but someone has to be the face of all that brokering.
    I remember thinking in 1989 "Wow! I cant imagine how football is going to get any bigger & better"
    But now?
    Tagliabue ushered the NFL through the information age and helped its growth by putting a very ...vanilla face on the NFL. Plain. Said all the right things to the public while representing the Owners and " the Shield" to insane fortune. There is no controversy with Tagliabue but nothing sexy or tough ,either. He will get Jerry Richardsons support.
    I also buy into a little politicking on the NFL's part. They have been faced with a lot of controversy the last few years- partly due to the very technology that has helped them. Constant player issues, bickering , and a current commissioner trying to put his foot down on the wrong things and wrong times will make one nostalgic for the Dial-Up age that Tagliabue steered through. From Newspapers to NFL Network he was part of the framework and no one should be at all surprised with this choice, just the timing.

Jerry Jones:
    Again , no surprise. Maybe the timing.
    Despite Eddie D.'s dealings that helped him out of football he was beloved by the players and community he represented , and the 49ers represented excellence throughout his ownership and its not likely Jerry would be in before Eddie. They represented a newer guard in decidedly different ways.
    Jerry has always been a blowhard - like Steinbrenner, Al Davis, even Mark Cuban , the league , any league, probably needs someone out front taking the spotlight and relishing it. It takes the pressure off everyone else !
    Like the 'Niners, the Cowboys during that time were a defining organization. You can thank Jones for firing Landry , hiring Johnson ,and trading Herschel Walker. You can also just blame the Vikings. Either way no surprise. Maybe a little surprise at the timing.

#45 Kenny Easley :
    Now THIS was unexpected !
    I got to see Kenny play his whole career living here in NorCal beginning with the Bruins. Him & Ronnie Lott were just THE best players at their position going. From college to the pros. At the Coliseum watching Easley throw Plunkett & Marc Wilson around...takes me back ! The AFC West was a good time back then. This is probably apocryphal, but I remember the whole division playing round robin for seasons on end - Oakland couldn't beat Denver who couldn't beat San Diego who couldn't beat Seattle..et al.
    The most obvious thing about Kenny was the fact he played only 7 seasons before retirement and this seemed to be the biggest contention with Stanfel ,who played as many seasons, so ..what gives?
    ( On that: Sterling Sharpe. Terrell Davis. )
    Also, Easley was a major voice during the strike year ( as he should have been , though maybe not in the eyes of the NFL at the time ) and later- I think - sued the Seahawks for negligence regarding his later health issues and was reluctant to be celebrated as a Seahawk by the team . So I don't know that his off the field contentions should really matter when it comes to the Hall of Fame - a separate thing - but I bet it does.
    I think this : I watched Kenny Easley and he wasn't just the " Hall of Very Good" - he was a Hall of Famer.
    See: Sharpe. Davis.
    Finally, I'm not sure the Hall is doing itself any favors. The selection committee seems random. Purposeless. The newer stipulation that one year it's 1 player & 2 Contributors and visa versa is just painting the Hall in a corner it doesn't need. Are there that many serious Contributors? I think 15 in the next 10 years should take care of it.
    Seeing Ken Stabler elected two minutes after he passes away is insulting after all this time . And Stanfel - geez...that mans resume had been the same for an awful long time to turn him down twice before induction. Certainly.

Oh. By the way. If Easley is....Well then lets put Jimmy Patton back in the conversation ! Not just because I picked up one of those nifty matchbook covers with his name on it from Raiderguy10 either !

Who I am now off to leave some well deserved and overdue feedback on the Bay.

BTW Derrick - you should make some customs for the 1958 Championship Game - Colts v Giants Greatest Game Ever Played .

• Anyone on this thread win the Tim Mara picture or one of Joe Carr autographs.I won the Crosley Field pass on Heritage auctions.

Craig
    I'll tell you one thing - I'd sure be pi$$ed if I were the high bidder on the Mara, having Heritage call it the most significant signed football picture in existence....then 2 days after it ended they listed a second one!!

"In Al We Trust!"

• I guess that Heritage auctions is calling this Mara the second most significant photo in recent memory? Another Carr is being offered. Interestingly no Charles Bidwell picture signed to Carr up for auction. Maybe because none exists?
  • CatmanCatman Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Yes, they were all there signing during the class event. Everyone was very nice, except Harrison. He never looked up at anyone and didn't say much at all. He only signed his name. The others included HOF 2016. Both Dungy & DeBartalo thanked everyone for coming.
  • Derrick thanks for the sheet of cut autos on eBay. Going to send some of them off to Jeffrey to get cards made this week. Thanks again. Robert
    That was a great price on the sheet, who you having done

"In Al We Trust!"

• Getting Richter, McKay, Fairbanks from the sheet I got from you and DeBartolo, Jerry Jones and Clarke Hinkle from others I have.

@GONEBATS said:
    Anyone on this thread win the Tim Mara picture or one of Joe Carr autographs.I won the Crosley Field pass on Heritage auctions.

Craig

Blood Bank Bill Heinen won the Mara

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

I am having a problem getting this card added to the Card HOF auto set. I think I am going to take the case up to Cosetta. We have plenty of cards signed by owners that aren't listed or pictured on a team card that are in the set.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Are the members of the Veterns Committee on drugs! Jerry Jones a rival to Donald Trump as a Narcasist! Tagliabue could have Josh Brown as his presenter? Easley is a yes, how about George Young and Jimmy Patton, Jerry Kramer! Makes way too much sense to nominate "real" candidates!

"In Al We Trust!"

Anyone looking for a nice Bill Hewitt let me know, I have an extra available.

"In Al We Trust!"

• Hi All,
    Picked up this 1943 Green Bay Packers team signed photo.
    Thanks,
    Ed

edited March 15, 2017 7:44PM

Anyone interested in a Turk Edwards signed my life with the Redskins book, I have one available. $325

"In Al We Trust!"

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2017 5:33PM

Hi guys. I've decided to start selling off my collection - I have other priorities at this point in my life. I'm keeping my signed HOF rc, but selling most everything else. I wanted to give everyone on this thread first dibs on the cut auto'd cards. Please PM or e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com if you have any questions - thanks!

I would consider trade for the following signed cards:

1933 Sports Kings Jim Thorpe
    1935 National Chicle Cliff Battles, Turk Edwards, Clarke Hinkle, Bronko Nagurski, Ken Strong
    1948 Leaf Bob Waterfield
    1952 Bowman Small or Large Steve Owen and Joe Stydahar

Greg M.

Link Lyman $1500

Vince Lombardi $1000

Jim Conzelman $1500

Jim Thorpe $5,000

Greasy Neale $750

Arnie Herber $750

Bert Bell $400

George Trafton $400

Turk Edwards $750

Clint Frank $500

Clark Shaughnessy $75

Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Any one out there interested in a Gold Goal line art set? LMK

• revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    edited February 11, 2017 6:32PM

In December 1930 the New York Giants played a benefit football game against a team of Notre Dame All Stars to raise money for the unemployed in New York City. The contest was also promoted as a opportunity to see if the nascent pro game was equal to the venerable and very popular college game. The Giants won the day 22 to 0. I would guess this football was signed at one of the dinners or other events prior the game (no score is recorded on the ball). I’ve been working on deciphering the signatures and figuring the affiliations of each signer, and here is what I’ve come up with so far. (ND after the name indicates Notre Dame and NYG is New York Giants)

Hunk Anderson ND, Dale Burnett NYG, Red Cagle NYG, Frank Cardieo ND, Jack Chevigny ND, Gene Edwards ND, Benny Friedman NYG, Butch Gibson NYG, Hal Hilpert NYG, Frank “Bill” Jones ND, Elmer Layden ND, Lou Little Offical, Tim Mara NYG, Joe Maxwell ND, Saul Meilziner NYG, Ed Thorpe Offical, Tom Thorpe Offical, Ted Twomey ND, Joe Vezie ND, James J. Walker Mayor of New York

Red Badgro NYG, Leo J. Bundy MLB Giants & Yankee’s legal counsel, Glenn Campbell NYG, Les Caywood NYG, Rudy Comstock NYG, Tiny Feather NYG, Mack Flenniken NYG, Len Grant NYG, J. A. Kavanaugh MLB Giants 1929, John Law ND, Jack Lenz Announcer at Yankee Stadium, Dr. Harry March NYG, Frank J. McCarthy ND ’25 lawyer later VP PRR, Hap Moran NYG, George Murtagh NYG, Bill Owen NYG, Steve Owen NYG, K. K. Rockne ND (faint), Len Sedbrooke NYG, Charles Stoneham MLB Giants owner, Joe Westoupal NYG, Oscar Wiberg NYG, Doug Wycoff NYG

Jack Hagerty NYG, Hinkey Haines NYG 1925-1927, Ken Strong SI Stapes

Hunk Anderson ND, Joe Bach ND, E. T. Brannick MLB Giants front office press, Frank Collins ND, Dick Connell ND, Jim Crowley ND, John Gebert ND, Noble Kaizer ND, John Law ND, Elmer Layden ND, John McManmon ND, Don Miller ND, Rip Miller ND, Tim Moynihan ND, Joe Nash ND, Albert B. Nixon NYU Director of Athletics, Dick Stahlman NYG, Harry Stuhldreher ND, James J. Tierney MLB Giants secretary, Chile Walsh ND

Hey guys - I've decided to sell my entire set. Please PM me or e-mail to montooth13@yahoo.com if you are looking for anything. I have partially complete signed sets from 1948 though the early 90's. Plus I have some rare cut auto'd cards and even a 1967 Philadelphia Rams team card signed by Dan Reeves.

Thanks,

Greg M.

References:

Just got the bulk PSA/DNA sub results this week. Here was my haul. Many are available. Very happy with the Ed O'neill 97 Legends Polk high and Joe Delaney Rookie autograph.

"In Al We Trust!"

Let's see- Pamela Anderson or Pudge Heffelfinger? Quite the range - very impressive!

Had to jump on this at $100 - Friedman was coaching at Yale where Booth had been an All American. Booth was working for an ice-cream maker in New Haven and the dairy was in Branford CT just east of New Haven

Just a bump to keep from falling off the page!

edited July 7, 2017 1:52PM

Man I used to love reading this thread each week. Ever since CU went through the update and I think people were unintentionally unsubscribed this thread has sure slowed down a lot!! It's sad - I love seeing what others are up to.

I have some nice pieces available if anyone is looking to add items. Have nice Paddy Driscoll, Turk Edwards, Pudge Heffelfinger, and Willie Galimore customs available as well as William Clay Ford, Jack Kent Cooke, and Charles Bidwill (Jr) items available. Check them out if you want to take a look.

Raiderguy's Ebay Store

"In Al We Trust!"

Hey y'all. I wanted to let everyone know that I have a lot of cards currently in the H&S auction that started last Friday. Below is a list of my cards...so bid early and often :)

Greg M.

https://hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/category.pl?catid=213&mode=b

Lot 1406
    Lot 1407
    Lot 1408
    Lot 1409
    Lot 1410
    Lot 1411
    Lot 1412
    Lot 1413
    Lot 1497
    Lot 1498
    Lot 1499
    Lot 1500
    Lot 1501
    Lot 1502
    Lot 1503
    Lot 1504
    Lot 1505
    Lot 1506
    Lot 1507
    Lot 1508
    Lot 1509
    Lot 1510
    Lot 1511
    Lot 1512
    Lot 1513
    Lot 1514
    Lot 2084
    Lot 2086
    Lot 2089
    Lot 2090
    Lot 2091
    Lot 2092
    Lot 2093
    Lot 2094
    Lot 2096
    Lot 2097
    Lot 2098
    Lot 2099

References:

It looks like we lost another one today. Y.A. Tittle.....RIP Yelberton!

• xdvop86xdvop86 Posts: 18 ✭✭

Does anyone post on here anymore? Or has everyone stop collecting? Just curious. Thanks

For me the autographs have really slowed down - the one's I don't have and haven't previously posted are few and far between (and not on cards)
    Here's Swede Johnston, not in the HOF but well known probably due to his Chicle card - a condolence letter to the widow of Mike Michalske

And an inscription in the book Pro Football It's Ups and Downs from Joe Carr to Dr. J. B. Eckstrom, former coach of Ohio State

I don't think anyone gets notified if someone has posted in here. I haven't been notified in quite sometime.

I hit the wall, need only Bidwell, Ray and Kiesling, so I just drifted away....Also,my password mysteriously stopped working and I couldn't reset it since my email had changed when I moved. had no choice but to register again. Would be nice to see all the familiar collectors make an appearance!

• BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

@JMDVM said:
    I hit the wall, need only Bidwell, Ray and Kiesling, so I just drifted away....Also,my password mysteriously stopped working and I couldn't reset it since my email had changed when I moved. had no choice but to register again. Would be nice to see all the familiar collectors make an appearance!

Good to see that you are still with the hobby. Any idea how Rocke is doing, I haven't seen a post of his in ages. Last I remember he sold you his Goal Line Art Set. Thanks Rich

• Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2018 1:27PM

Two recently acquired customs:

@BigRed7 said:

@JMDVM said:

Good to see that you are still with the hobby. Any idea how Rocke is doing, I haven't seen a post of his in ages. Last I remember he sold you his Goal Line Art Set. Thanks Rich

I saw Rocke HOF weekend. There is a lot to tell but it would be better if you PM me. I still have his GLA set, and he'll never buy it back. I'd love to sell it if I could avoid losing money

• Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

And two more ...

Just a bump. Need only 3 to finish off the set...Bidwell,Ray,Keisling

@JMDVM said:
    Just a bump. Need only 3 to finish off the set...Bidwell,Ray,Keisling

I have this if you're in the market available.

"In Al We Trust!"

• a66cobra1a66cobra1 Posts: 11 ✭✭

@revmoran said:
    In December 1930 the New York Giants played a benefit football game against a team of Notre Dame All Stars to raise money for the unemployed in New York City. The contest was also promoted as a opportunity to see if the nascent pro game was equal to the venerable and very popular college game. The Giants won the day 22 to 0. I would guess this football was signed at one of the dinners or other events prior the game (no score is recorded on the ball). I’ve been working on deciphering the signatures and figuring the affiliations of each signer, and here is what I’ve come up with so far. (ND after the name indicates Notre Dame and NYG is New York Giants)

Hunk Anderson ND, Dale Burnett NYG, Red Cagle NYG, Frank Cardieo ND, Jack Chevigny ND, Gene Edwards ND, Benny Friedman NYG, Butch Gibson NYG, Hal Hilpert NYG, Frank “Bill” Jones ND, Elmer Layden ND, Lou Little Offical, Tim Mara NYG, Joe Maxwell ND, Saul Meilziner NYG, Ed Thorpe Offical, Tom Thorpe Offical, Ted Twomey ND, Joe Vezie ND, James J. Walker Mayor of New York

Red Badgro NYG, Leo J. Bundy MLB Giants & Yankee’s legal counsel, Glenn Campbell NYG, Les Caywood NYG, Rudy Comstock NYG, Tiny Feather NYG, Mack Flenniken NYG, Len Grant NYG, J. A. Kavanaugh MLB Giants 1929, John Law ND, Jack Lenz Announcer at Yankee Stadium, Dr. Harry March NYG, Frank J. McCarthy ND ’25 lawyer later VP PRR, Hap Moran NYG, George Murtagh NYG, Bill Owen NYG, Steve Owen NYG, K. K. Rockne ND (faint), Len Sedbrooke NYG, Charles Stoneham MLB Giants owner, Joe Westoupal NYG, Oscar Wiberg NYG, Doug Wycoff NYG

Jack Hagerty NYG, Hinkey Haines NYG 1925-1927, Ken Strong SI Stapes

Hunk Anderson ND, Joe Bach ND, E. T. Brannick MLB Giants front office press, Frank Collins ND, Dick Connell ND, Jim Crowley ND, John Gebert ND, Noble Kaizer ND, John Law ND, Elmer Layden ND, John McManmon ND, Don Miller ND, Rip Miller ND, Tim Moynihan ND, Joe Nash ND, Albert B. Nixon NYU Director of Athletics, Dick Stahlman NYG, Harry Stuhldreher ND, James J. Tierney MLB Giants secretary, Chile Walsh ND

Rev,

That ball is AMAZING!!! Just got to the last page on this amazing thread after all these years.

All the best, Dan

Wow....didn't know this forum was still up and running, no posts for ages.

• @Catman said:
    Wow....didn't know this forum was still up and running, no posts for ages.

This thread is EPIC - an amazing testament to collecting and all that is good with it.

I have a few recent additions that I'll add ASAP - two difference items with Chic Harley autographs on them.