Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss Baseball - the unofficial but legal thread

Comments

• Options
    Bunker,

CONGRATS!

Be sure to register for both Basic and Master --- you'll get free grading coupons for both when you hit 85% completion on each. Obviously, each card you add can fit in both.

I think what you're doing with your son is really fantastic --- I hope to share a similar experience one day when I have a kid. That is truly the essence of collecting!

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I have registerd my set and I am in 16th place image I have a long way to go, but I am really looking forward to this. I have a stack of cards that I am wanting to send in, but I am hoping to do it when there is some kind of special.

My son is building a raw set and he is coming along nicely. It is fun watching him put this set together. He is really taking his time and choosing just the right card. I have not seen him play with his PS2 for a couple of weeks now. Baseball cards have brought us closer together than we have ever been before. He is my best friend and I am his. What a great hobby this is!

Thanks for listening to my rambling! >>

Please don't pass me yet!!image I have had to slow down a little, wife and I are purchasing (leasing that is) a new vehicle, so could not spend too much over the last couple of weeks. Congrats though on a great start!! And congrats to this thread for passing 1,500 posts!!image
  • Options
    86nova86nova Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Was trying to put some low pops together for a submission, and pulled out card # 127 of Jurak. Upon close inspection, saw what appears to be a hair off the bill of the helmet. Do some of you that have had this card graded have the same thing? Trying to determine if it is worth sending in or not. Thanks--- Craig
  • Options
    If anyone can help, these are the cards that I'm looking for to complete my set outright (only 8 cards to go! image )....

#5 Leon Durham DK - Steele
    #435 Edwin Nunez
    #480 Joel Youngblood
    #535 Bob Horner
    #544 Danny Darwin
    #582 Dan Spillner
    #597 Luis Sanchez
    #605 Alfredo Griffin

.....I also need to upgrade the following to PSA 9s or 10s from my current 8s.....

#7 Jack Clark DK - Steele
    #8 Dave Dravecky DK - Steele
    #14 Bob Horner DK - Steele
    #15 Lance Parrish DK - Steele
    #16 Matt Young DK - Steele
    #21 Larry Parrish DK - Steele
    #24 Pedro Guerrero DK - Steele
    #209 Bobby Ramos
    #236 Atlee Hammaker
    #471 Milt Wilcox
    #472 Tippy Martinez
    #539 Alan Ashby

So, I need a total of 8 to be at 100% on the master set (7 to be 100% on basic) and a total of 12 upgrades to be at all 9s or better! image

Any help would be appreciated!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny,

I've got the Atlee H. in 9 --- but I'm probably gonna hold onto it.

I do have two raw Milt Wilcox --- both are locks for a 9. I planned on submitting both. I've also got 1 or 2 Tippy Martinez raw that should 9 or 10.

I broke down and bought another box the other day. Ripped it all the last few nights. Pulled a Mattingly that may pull a 9, and some real nice low pop potentials (including those referenced above).

I'm still organizing ... but may have more off of your list. Of course, most of it I need for my set, too image

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    That's cool T, just keep me in mind! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Yes, please keep us all updated!!image
  • Options
    A few more PSA 9s (and 2 10s) available for anyone that might want them....

#58 Harold Baines (PSA 9 & PSA 10)
    #66 Dale Murphy
    #103 Dave Righetti
    #114 Chili Davis
    #117 Bill Buckner
    #150 John Wockenfuss
    #213 Bruce Hurst
    #222 Frank White (PSA 10)
    #273 Dave Stapleton
    #306 Cesar Cedeno
    #315 Willie Upshaw
    #322 Jim Morrison
    #516 Aurelio Lopez
    #543 U.L.Washington

.....PM or e-mail me at SCMAuctions@aol.com if you are interested in any and all of these. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    pm sent

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Right back 'atcha! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I'll be hanging low over the next six to eight weeks or so on this set...the wife and I decided to go to Vegas so all my extra $$$ is being saved for that......haven't been there in almost seven years. It will be hard to not purchase anything but I want to have some money available so I can bet on the Browns going to the super bowl this year. image I'll still be hanging out commenting now and then but just wanted to let everyone know that I won't be sending any cards in for the near future.
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Wonder if one of you 84 experts could help me out. I have a complete 84 Donruss set that I put together back in the day from opening packs. The entire set is straight from packs but back then wasnt worried about centering etc. Could someone let me know which are the really tough cards in this set. Wanting to look at my set and see if I have enough of them to send in and maybe get me started on this set.

Thanks to all

Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff, welcome to the '84 Donruss world! image

Well, not officially yet, but you'll get there. image

There are many cards that are difficult to find centered nicely and have very low pop numbers. The best indicator would be to look at the PSA Population reports and see which cards have low pop numbers for 9s and 10s. Right off the top of my head I know of a few like...Manny Trillo, Jim Slaton, Omar Moreno, Mike Fitzgerald, Joel Youngblood, lots of Diamond Kings, etc...that are tough.

Just wanted to let you know that I have about 75 to 100 PSA 9s available if you are in the market. The bigger the group of cards, the better the deal. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Arny...I am looking at the pop report...whats the difference between the steel and steele diamond kings and how can I tell the difference on the cards??

Thanks Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff,

welcome...

"Steele" were the corrected versions and only appear in factory sets (as do "numbered" versions of Darling and Stenhouse #29/30)

"Steel" are found in regular packs

-Tom

PS Brusstar, Horner, and Taber are three others real tough on centering.
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    To add to that list....Alan Ashby, Bobby Ramos, Tippy Martinez & Dan Spillner are tough to find as well.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I just bought a box of the 84 Donruss from Steve at BBCE. My son and I are really looking forward to them. I currently have about 60 cards that I want to send in for grading, but I want to wait until this box arrives first to see if we get any others to add to the list.

I will probably send 10-20 in first just to test the waters and then based on my results (my eye) I will send in a larger sub. I will post some pics when we get the box.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Good luck on the box Bunker! Hope you pull several Mattingly and Carter cards in GEM MINT shape! image

Bunker, I sent a group of about 8 cards and got a decent read on my 'eye' for the cards. 1 PSA 10, 1 PSA 8 & 7 PSA 9s. So, not too bad. The 9 was that super tough Fitzgerald and the 10 was the popular Ron Guidry card...so, I hope that you fare as well if not better!

Keep me in mind for these (of course, not the 'steele' ones though image )....

If anyone can help, these are the cards that I'm looking for to complete my set outright (only 8 cards to go!)....

#5 Leon Durham DK - Steele
    #435 Edwin Nunez
    #480 Joel Youngblood
    #535 Bob Horner
    #544 Danny Darwin
    #582 Dan Spillner
    #597 Luis Sanchez
    #605 Alfredo Griffin

.....I also need to upgrade the following to PSA 9s or 10s from my current 8s.....

#7 Jack Clark DK - Steele
    #8 Dave Dravecky DK - Steele
    #14 Bob Horner DK - Steele
    #15 Lance Parrish DK - Steele
    #16 Matt Young DK - Steele
    #21 Larry Parrish DK - Steele
    #24 Pedro Guerrero DK - Steele
    #209 Bobby Ramos
    #236 Atlee Hammaker
    #471 Milt Wilcox
    #472 Tippy Martinez
    #539 Alan Ashby

So, I need a total of 8 to be at 100% on the master set (7 to be 100% on basic) and a total of 12 upgrades to be at all 9s or better!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Bunker,

Good luck!

My first submittal was 3 ---- all came back 9's (Mattingly, J.Carter, O.Smith)

my second submittal was 36 --- 9 tens, 23 nines, 4 eights
    (3 of the 10s were pops 3 or less)

I've been very happy so far!

-t

PS I've got about 100 raw to submit --- can't wait until the next special!
    - Building these sets:
  • Options

<< <i>Bunker,

Good luck!

My first submittal was 3 ---- all came back 9's (Mattingly, J.Carter, O.Smith)

my second submittal was 36 --- 9 tens, 23 nines, 4 eights
    (3 of the 10s were pops 3 or less)

I've been very happy so far! >>

That's what I'm talking about! You and Arny both did well. Hopefully I will follow with the same sucess image

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Very stoked to add this to my player set- I only had an 8, and had simply been looking for a 9 for the past few years....

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I received my my wax box from BBCE today and have posted a couple of my better cards. I am glad that the Mattingly showed up I was getting worried I wasn't going to get one. I had 7 packs to go when I pulled it.

There are a fair number of 9/10 potentials that I plan on submitting this month. I pulled two Joe Carters, but when you have seen one O/C Carter you have seen them all:

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Do you think that the Mattingly is to OC to receive a 9?

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    That Mattingly could snag a 9 I think, I would like to see what the Brett receives.
  • Options
    I was going to send in a small amount to test the waters, but with the $5 dollar special I guess I will send in more. It may take awhile to get them back but man you just can't beat that price.

If my funds hold together I plan on sending in 100 84 Donruss, 30 1973 Topps, 25 1978 Topps (Some from our recent rip) 20 1980 Topps and 20 1982 Topps.

My wife said that is was ok with her as long as I sold some stuff on ebay. I have been procrastinating, but the $5 dollar special is a pretty good incentive to start listing some of my stuff. image

I sell coins, cards and beer cans at a local antique mall to help support me and Rob's baseball card habit, but I just gave my 30 day notice, so tommorow I plan on bringing everything home sooner than I had originally planned and list it all on the bay.

If I would have known what the special was I would have done it a little bit sooner, but I should have plenty of time.

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    The March special also will allow me to stretch meager funds and send in some of the 84s from a box I busted a month ago.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Marc,
    I've looked at a ton of DK Schmidt steele's and the centering on yours is by far the best I've seen.

Great pickup on probably the toughest-to-find centered card in the entire set - and yours is centered beautifully.
    Bill
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I agree with Bill..nice dead-on Schmidt!

Good luck Rick and Piman on your subs! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I am getting cards ready to send in to PSA so I am looking over some of the graded cards I have for comparisons. Just for fun I have posted a couple of cards. See if you can guess the grade. I will post what they are after a few guesses

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    I might be picking up another box of '84 Donruss to try and pull those last few that I need. I'm gettin' that itch.... image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    The Cruz looks nicer overall than the McMurtry. But since you are asking us to guess the grades on these cards I would say the Cruz got a lower grade than the McMurtry. The Cruz definately would be more than a 7 so I would guess it has a 8 and the McMurtry has a 9.
  • Options
    I'm guessing that the Cruz is a 9 and McMurtry is an 8 based on the scans. As far as what they really graded....well, that's sometimes a mystery! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I agree with Arny....PSA is picky on the centering which often has a card turn into an 8
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    bunker,
    very nice cards. i think the mattingly would have no problems with a 9. good luck.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

Just won this, what is the Pop? Could not find it for PSA 9.

Thanks
  • Options
    Stingray - out of twelve graded there have been 3 PSA 9s and 6 PSA 10s
  • Options

<< <i>Stingray - out of twelve graded there have been 3 PSA 9s and 6 PSA 10s >>

Thanks, seems like there are a few 84 Donruss that have more 10s than 9s. I thought it was a low pop 9 though.
  • Options
    Most folks won't send in common players unless they really look like a 10 possibility. 9s will get you to break even with these specials usually, but 10s will actually make you money.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Most folks won't send in common players unless they really look like a 10 possibility. 9s will get you to break even with these specials usually, but 10s will actually make you money. >>

That does make sense.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have one lonely psa 9 84 Donruss Len "perfect game" Barker # 443. If anyone needs it, just send me one psa 9 Dodger from any year up through 1987, and I will trade. Or $3 delivered. Just PM if you want it.

B
  • Options
    Page is stuck....turn....
  • Options
    Anyone planning on sending a sub in for the March special? I've got rougly a 1/2 box of unopened packs coming from eBay that I got for $40. Hope that he just got to the Mattingly and decided to leave the rest unopened to recoup some funds. Maybe I'll end up with a few of the ones that I need to finish my basic set. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny,

I'm sending in an 84D-heavy March sub .... not sure exactly when ... but I've got 100+ raw 84D and figured now's the time to get a few of them graded. Got some low pop gems!

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    I'm not submitting any this month Arny....saving all my money for my Vegas trip in April......wish I had some extra cash but just don't right now....
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    you kids are by far the most pro-active group on this forum.

think of all the constructive things you could've accomplished vs spinning your wheels w/ those '84 donruss cards?

i got out while the gettin was good.

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    I have sent 60 of the 84's in so far and I hope to send in another 40 or so. I was getting worried that if I kept putting it off I would miss out so I went with what I had.

I hope to get the next batch ready this weekend. I am pretty excited. This is my first large sub (Large to me anyway image)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Good luck guys!

I'm still waiting for this half box to arrive and a few loose lots to see if I can pull those elusive last cards that I need to finish.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    My half box arrived and there were a few stars (no Mattingly) and a few tough commons. But, the centering was...as always..off. image

There was one card that I think can pull a 9...the tough (at least for me) Atlee Hammaker card. Take a peek....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Nice looking Atlee card.....I agree with you Arny it is one tough card to find.....