Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The official Vintage Golf Card Thread

Comments

• Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Also, saw on ebay last night a Tom Morris Jr, 1900 Copes graded a PSA 5. I would make an offer on it if I didn't already have this card in a PSA 6!
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    I picked up my first two F & J Smith's cards.
    After receiving them - I have to say, I love them...... so now I am looking for more!

I missed out on the Vardon that was auctioned off on eBay recently (kind of bummed about that) - but hopefully someone here snagged that card.

Both of the cards are trimmed / and the seller sold them as such.
    Both have the blue back.

I had a Morris PSA 2 once upon a time in the FJ smith set....sold it for a LOT of money too.....damn, shouldda kept it!
  • Options
    Joe,
    Nice cards. I was tempted to bid on those F &J Smith cards. They look even better in your scans than I remember them on the eBay auctions. They are tuff cards!

So who won the 1927 W560 Bobby Jones PSA 9 last night in the Legendary Auction? I was really interested in it, but it quickly got out of my price range.

Jason
  • Options
    The better deal in that auction was the Rogers Peet Lot with a Jones, I did not see the final price but I think it was under $2000, Rogers Peet Jones are imposible, only the 2nd one I have ever seen.

Would have thought about bidding on it, but still cringing from my 8 huskers season football tickets....when people pay me for those I will be a lot happier.

In other news, the great amont of Ogden's cards came back. All the 1902 Tabs cards I got from one particular seller came back evidence of being re-colored....the seller is not willing to do anything to make it right with me...his attitude..."well you saw the scans" I explained grading in scans in one thing, buying an ALTERED card is another.

What an A$$

Anyway, once I get them back from psa, I will be selling them on ebay, and I WILL be disclosing the PSA findings to sellers.

IT really stinks too, I think it was one card from a complete set.

The good news is there are a lot of other psa 3-6 cards that I will be selling that are ogdens, and the ogdens are pretty rare so be on the lookout. I also have a ton of cards from my world golf hall of fame set that I upgraded, so I will be putting those out as well. Still need to get organized, but it will be the first time I have had a lot on ebay for a long time.

Dave
  • Options
    Joe, at least on your trimmed FJ smiths the seller disclosed they were trimmed.

The same guy was the one who hosed me on the Ogdens.

I am sure he did not know they were re-colored but he could have tried to make it right versus giving me the blow off.

In other news I likely will be selling the re-colored near set (just missing one card) in order to try and re-coup some of my money. I also have a slug of world golf hall of famers and a few other odds and ends for sale, if interested shoot me a note. Otherwise off to ebay in a few weeks.

1926 Spalding Champions Walter Hagen PSA 2 - RARE card
    1948 Kellogg's Pep Sam Snead - PSA 5 (cracked case) tough card!
    1914 Marsuma W.J. Travis PSA 5
    1927 Churchman Famous golfers #39 Jess Sweester
    1934 Gallaher Densmore Shute PSA 8
    1935 Mitchell & Son Lawson Little PSA 7
    1952 Wheaties Marlene Bauer PSA 8
    1952 Wheaties Patty Berg PSA 6
    1968 American Oil Julius Boros PSA 4 (real toughie)
    1928 Millhoff A.G. Havers PSA 7
    1927 Churchman James Braid #7, PSA 7
    1931 Churchman W Campbell PSA 7
    1928 Millhoff Dorothy Pearson PSA 7
    1900 Copes Keep your eye on the ball PSA 7
    1990 Pro Set Bob Charles PSA8
    1990 Pro Set Billy Casper PSA 9
    1990 Pros Set Chi Chi Rodriguez PSA 9
    1991 Pro Set Charlie Sifford PSA 9
    1992 Pro Set Bob Hope Hologram PSA 8
    2003 Upper Deck Juli Inkster PSa 8
    1992 Si for Kids Pat Bradley PSA 8
    1993 Si for Kids Amy Alcott PSA 6.5
    1993 Si For Kids Kathy Whitworth PSa 4
    2004 Upper Deck Beth Daniel PSA 9
    1998 Champions of Golf Ralph Gudhal PSA 6
    1998 Champions of Golf Jimmy Demaret PSA 8
    1998 Champions of Golf Jack Burke Jr.
  • Options
    Dave -

sorry to hear that about the Ogdens.

I am surprised..... I've always had good transactions with Lee.

imageimage
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    A few recent golf pickups...

• Options
    Anyone have some golf cards available for sale?

If so - please send me a list / with pricing.
    If you have scans or a link to images you have on the web - even better.

joe@internetville.com

I am in the mood to do some shopping. image

Here is what I have available.

FamousGolfers - For Sale/Trade - Page

Let me know if you are interested in anything.

Thanks,
    Jason - famousgolfers@gmail.com
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys - just wanted to say hello. I stumbled upon this thread and have had a great time reading up on it. I've recently started collecting vintage tennis. A lot of the sellers I've been looking at also carry some cool vintage golf stuff. Anyways - thanks for the great read, fellas!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks for the link Jason.

I may be interested in some of the Marsumas you have - but I have to check to see which ones I already I have.
    I am thinking of putting that set together.

I have a number of golf cards I am getting ready to list on ebay. Happy to sell here first if anyone is interested in any of these. The Snead RC has a crack in the case, when I bought it some time back it got damaged in shipping, so that is how I found it.

I will pay for prority mail shipping so that will be factored in to any sale. Please make an offer either here of via pm.

thanks Dave

• Options

I wanted to make large scans to show the cards better, I am happy to work out package deals on cards. A lot of cards from the world golf hall of fame set registry, and even some of the more modern cards (especially the SI for kids cards) are tough to find period.
  • Options

I have multiples of the BGS 9's and even some extra bgs 9.5 tiger rookies (not shown)
  • Options
    Here is the last of them including the snead rookie card, sorry for all the scans, but I figured people who might be interested would want to see photos!

• Options
    I also have a number of Ogden's cards that show evidence of re-coloring. I will be selling these "as is" as well for what I know will be a substantial loss. I have most of the Tabs set including a J Morris ( Old Tom Morris) The cards look to be mostly psa 5-7 type of range were it not for the very very light touch up on a corner here or an edge there.

Let me know if anyone wants me to post scans of those cards as well, or if anyone would be interested in some or all of them for a good price. The seller was not willing to refund my money and I am at the point now that I am just ready to cut my losses and move on.

Thanks for looking at my cards currently for sale.

Dave
  • Options
    sold 5 of the cards in the scans, thanks for the deals to those who contacted me.

The rest hit ebay tonight. Time to make room for more!

Dave
  • Options

Just got some new Grades !!

Check out the Bobby Jones 8.5 !!

1 1 17860742 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1926 LAMBERT & BUTLER WHO'S WHO IN SPORT (1926) 2 R.T. JONES Card US
    2 1 17860743 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1927 W.A. & A.C. CHURCHMAN FAMOUS GOLFERS-SMALL 27 R.T. JONES Card US
    3 1 17860744 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1927 W.A. & A.C. CHURCHMAN FAMOUS GOLFERS-SMALL 28 R.T. JONES Card US
    4 1 17860745 NEAR MINT 7 1927 W.A. & A.C. CHURCHMAN FAMOUS GOLFERS-SMALL 33 TOM MORRIS Card US

Let me know if interested in any of these.

Thanks, Matt
    Ebay Store: MSKD2

Thanks, Matt
  • Options
    Matt -

I most likely would be interested in the 1927 Jones cards (upgrades for me).
    If you have scans - please send them to joe@internetville.com

Thanks,
    Joe

PSA 8.5 Bobby Jones 1927 Churchman Famous Golfers Small #27
    PSA 8 Bobby Jones 1927 Churchman Famous Golfers Small #28
    PSA 7 Tom Morris 1927 Churchman Famous Golfers Small #33
    PSA 6 Bobby Jones 1926 Lambert & Butler Rc #2

Thanks, Matt
    mskd2@yahoo.com

Thanks, Matt
  • Options
    I need help from someone here who can provide.

I am in need of a couple of insurance appraisals for my golf card collection. This would be for my complete sets listed under Dave Johnson on the set registry as well as a few single cards such as the Sport Kings, Abdulla and Caramel Bobby Jones

Since I work for the same insurance company that is requring the appraisals, they are not real crazy about me providing them....which makes sense.

I have done these for other people in the past for some of their collections, but not sure if I have for anyone here on these boards. Since we have some of the more active folks located here, I though I would start here before just a straight email solicitation.

For your assistance I will send you free of charge a 2001 Tiger Woods BGS 9 card #1 rookie card. Hey it is not much but it is something.
    If interested in helping me out, please send me a PM and I can get you some additional details.

Dave
  • Options

Thanks, Matt
  • Options
    Just listed the two Churchman's Bobby Jones on ebay:

PSA 8 Bobby Jones 1927 Churchman Famous Golfers Small #27

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290518630395&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290518632175&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Check em out !!

Thanks, Matt
    mskd2@yahoo.com

Thanks, Matt
  • Options
    One Day Left on these Rare Bobby Jones:

PSA 8 Bobby Jones 1927 Churchman Famous Golfers Small #27

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290518630395&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290518632175&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Check em out !!

Thanks, Matt
    mskd2@yahoo.com

Thanks, Matt
  • Options
    Here ya go Matt - a bump and links to your auctions:

1927 Churchman's #27 Bobby Jones

1927 Churchman's #28 Bobby Jones

Good luck with your auctions!
    Jeff
    Jeff
  • Options
    I just noticed the Harry Vardon player sets are available. I think Dave requested them. I am not too crazy about the 1993 Fax-Pax and the 1999 Gallery cards included in the Master sets, but I don't know what Dave requested. Does this bother anyone else? I am also not fond of all 4 variations of the 1901 Ogden 476 card being included in the set. I don't think PSA does a very good job of keeping these straight. I have to admin, I can't either. Thoughts?
    Jason
  • Options
    Hey Jason thanks for the note.

I onl requested a Vardon Basic set. I did not request the master set but would see no reason that the fax pax and such cards should be included as those are WELL after his playing days.....I mean the Bobby Jones UD cards are not part of his master set are they?

I tried to keep out a few even out of the basic set, (ones that have exceedingly low populations reports) as I wanted this to be a set people could complete..

I will send a note to Cosetta and see what transpires.

By the way, thanks for the note here...I had not even seen these were listed yet as new composites on line!

Dave
  • Options
    Here is what I was going to send to Cosetta, let me know what you think....or would it just be best to put it on the "New Set Composites" online post from her and let any of you that want to chime in - chime in....I don't want to speak for everyone here, so let me know if this seems to hit it on the head.

Dave

Cosetta, thanks for adding the Harry Vardon player sets. I do have a couple of questions as a few of us in the vintage golf community were wondering..

1) the basic set has a couple of things that a few of us would recommend changing. There are many cards from some of the years that have different numbers in the set that they represent. These include 1923 Copes, 1927 Churchman Famous Golfers Small, 1914 Marsuma, and the 1901 and 1902 Ogdens. These are clearly defined in the population reports, the only issue (again agreed upon by a few of us in the golf community) is NOT listing the different variations of cards #476 from the 1901 Ogdens set,

2) these are issues regarding the "master" set listing. I purposely did NOT include the FJ smiths as well as the Ogdens cricketeers cards as they are exceedingly rare and not really obtainable for most any collectors. I am basing this just on the very few cards ever graded period. 2nd - I am not sure that I would inlcude all 4 variations of the 1901 Ogdens card #476...again most collectors cannot tell the difference between a C base, I base etc. 3rd - the fax pax and gallery of legends cards were not produced anywhere close to Vardon's playing days - which I thought was part of needing to be considered for inclusion.

3) I did send in weighting for each cards I had included on my initial request list. It appears this was used in the "basic set" but not at all on the "master set" if you would like me to send in weighting for the Master set, please let me know and I would be happy to oblige.

I hope I am not coming across as unappreciative! I do sincerely appreciate all of the work of you and your colleagues, but I am seeing if some adjustments can be made. I have also asked others on the Vintage Golf Thread to post any comments here so they can be seen as well.

Hope to see you at the National this year!

Dave Johnson
  • Options
    Hey Dave,
    Yeah, I didn't figure you wanted the 1993 and 1999 cards in the Master set. I am glad we agree on the variations of the 1901 Ogden #476 card. Like I said, I can't keep the variations straight. I would like to see scans of the variations, just to get them straight in my head. I would like to see 1898 Ogden's and the 1902 FJ Smith cards as part of the master set, but I am fine waiting until there are a certain number graded (like 3 or 5) before adding them to the Master set. It is like the 1928 Crescent Confectionery Bobby Jones card in the Jones Master set. I think there is only 1 graded.
    Jason
  • Options
    your bobby jones example was completely my thinking, that along with the move house card, which there are actually like 1-12 different ones, yet I think there is only one in the bobby Jones set
  • Options
    was tired of seeing these cards on ebay

Ebay link

and never getting any answers to anything so here is an ebay review I wrote today

These are cards that are manufactured by an individual, not a licensed company that makes sportscards. It appears based on their items for sale and from a variety of blog sites on their business model that they primairly do sportscards mock ups in the design of the Goudey series of the 1930's as well as some of the Allen and Ginter Series of the Tobacco eras. As a collector of golf cards myself, I had witnessed may examples of authentic game used golf gloves from Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy. When I tried and locate any info about this company doing other online searches, I did not find out much, but here is what I was able to locate. Hopefully it will assist in allowing you to make an informed buying decision one way or another.

The cards are almost exclusively of high profile sports people, actor, acrtresses, presidents etc, and many contain a "piece of authentic" hair, coat, shirt, glove etc to give it the extra collecting appeal.

These cards have been done very nicely and are a very well done representation of what they are and appear to be...made up cards. They are NOT licensed by any of the major sportscards companies, and for example, Tiger Woods is used, although I know for a fact he has an exclusive arrangement just with Upper Deck currently to produce any cards that bear his likeness.

the following excerpt was taken from a blog interview with the owner/creator of the cards/company and a blog site ( i have decided not to share the address here in this review but I am sure it can be found by looking it up on any search engine )

blog question - Where do you get the items for your cards, (for example the woolly mammoth hair).

A: I buy the items I use on the memorabilia cards from various reputable dealers on eBay.

blog question - How do you decide how many copies to make of each card?

A: Just depends really on how much of the item of memorabilia I have to work with.

blog question - What kind of paper do you use? Printer?

A: I get all my cards printed at Wal-Mart on Kodak photo paper, this gives them a great finish and look.

Blog question - About how long does it take to make each card (once you have everything printed out)?

A: Each take takes a few minutes to put together. I take the to sides and glue them together with a index card in the middle to add some stiffness to the card, and if any windows need to be cut for memorabilia this is done as well then the cards are cut to size. The average card take 2-3 minutes to complete and a lot of glue sticks.

Blog question - Are you considering doing some sports memorabilia cards (like patches or numbers)?

A: Yes, I am always thinking a new ideas to do and am always checking eBay for memorabilia to use and make into cards.

blog question - How do you encapsulate the larger objects, like civil war bullets?

A: The civil war bullets are attached to the cards using a putty that hardens and holds it to the card and they are stored in plastic card cases for protection

***************************************************************************************************************

Moral of the story, when deciding to purchase any of the cards from the manufacturer " Canadiam Gum Company" use the old adage - - caveat emptor. If you realize that you are buying a nice produced yet unauthorized card that was not made by a licensed manufacturing company, I am sure you will be quite pleased with your purchase. If you are looking to speculate on these cards or have any stand behind the product of gurantee that what you are buying is legitimate as posed, then I would be assured to ask lots of questions to the seller of these items and make your own informed decision based on the infomormation I have outlined

Now in all actuality I would love it if I could find someone a heck of a lot more talented than me to make up a set of cards that was all US Open winners since its inception, but I wish this guy would at least be more forthcoming in his auctions about what it is you are potentially purchasing here.
  • Options
    Hey all

Not sure how many of you also check into the golf message board on NET54. I have posted a couple of topics over there as quite frankly it seems to see a little more action than we get on this board...but that is not saying much.

Be sure to check it out, and chime in on any of the Golf Chatter posts I have added today.

Thanks

Dave
  • Options
    getting a few more cards back from PSA, grades have popped.

1901 Ogdens harry Vardon PSA 3
    1901 Ogdens sullivan Rea PSA 4
    Lloyd Mangrum Kelloggs Pep PSA 8

I also graded about 10 more of the 1930 Pattreiouex Celebrities in Sport, I will be putting a 2nd set up for sale. I ended up upgrading 4-5 cards I think, so overall I am happy.

Also had 4 1955 Topps all americans in the bunch.....3 psa 8's and 1 psa 7 $$$$$

The Mangrum ended up being a nice $6 purchase on ebay! image

Dave
  • Options
    After some debate with Gayle, we have added some weighting to the harry vardon master set as well as removed two of the cards that are exceedingly rare.

Also she indicated that it is not uncommon and actually seems to be the common practice to add cards of a player set even that are issued well after play years, so I guess that means there may also be some updates coming to the bobby jones and walter hagen sets.

I am suprised no one else has entered any cards on either Vardon set. I would not even call myself a die hard vardon guy, but I figured there would be a couple of entries...maybe people do not know it is there yet.

a couple more things....

1) is anyone planning on going to the national this year? I also posted something on the golf board on Net 54. Trying to see if we could get a few people together one day after the show to talk golf cards since I have emailed and sold stuff to many of you but have really never met any of you in person. If you have an interest or are thinking about it please reply to this thread.

2) have a number of items going to ebay this sunday, many are world golf hall of fame members, including a lower graded vardon 1901 ogdens, lower graded Jones rookie, kellogs pep mangrum psa 5, a big lot of recolored 1902-1901 ogdens that I am not even bothering to send in to psa due to the recoloring issue (which stinks because someone messed up some nice mid to upper grade ogdens with a black marker) a few tigers and a complete set of 1930 pattrieouex celebrities in sport with like 12-14 of the cards already graded. It has always been among my favorite sets and this is a nice mid range set with great centering and eye appeal.

if anyone is interested in any "stuff" before ebay, let me know.
  • Options
    Went to ebay with some items. Since I am at home recovering from surgery I had nothing better to do today than get a bunch of golf, baseball and (gulp) coin sets ready for ebay. Please feel free to look. My ebay ID for those who don't already know is

thickestofalltime

I hope people appreciate the honesty of my listings, I tried to give as accurate as descriptions as possible on the graded and ungraded cards.

Good luck if you are looking to bid on any of the items! If you have any questions shoot me a note.
  • Options
    Just Listed some Great Newly Graded Golf stuff on ebay.

Jones, Vardon, Armour, Churchman's Men of the Moments, Ogden Guinea Gold's, etc........

Check out My Ebay listings under "MSKD2"

http://stores.ebay.com/mskd2/Golf-/_i.html?_fsub=1582199017&_sid=301567&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Let me know if you see something your interested in.

Thanks as always,

Matt Doyle
    mskd2@yahoo.com

Thanks, Matt
  • Options
    Just Listed a couple more Bobby Jones (1927 PSA 8 Highest Graded) and some great New PSA graded Boxing, Baseball, & Misc/Other on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.com/mskd2/Golf-/_i.html?_fsub=1582199017&_sid=301567&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Thanks as always,

Matt Doyle
    mskd2@yahoo.com

Thanks, Matt
  • Options
    Just Listed a couple New Bobby Jones (1927 Jones PSA 8 Highest Graded) and some New Boxing, Baseball, etc./Other PSA on ebay.

Thanks as always,

Matt Doyle
    mskd2@yahoo.com

Thanks, Matt
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

I currently have 12 different cards (about 1/4 of the set) from the tough 1900 Copes Golfers set listed individually on eBay. A few are PSA graded, many are raw - most of them have an EX+ appearance but lower technical grades, due to minor paper loss or scrapbook residue on the back. Included are the tough Allan Robertson and John Taylor cards!

Thanks for looking - LINK to the listings is here.

Scott
  • Options
    I have been too quiet for quite a while, so wanted to give an update on a few things in the hopper in the world of golf cards.

1) There is an upcoming trade show/summit in Las Vegas in about a week. I have asked a local shop owner who is also a big buyer in the unopened market to see if he can talk to Upper Deck about reintroducing a new golf card product. I gave him a short list of reasons including:

1. It has been 6 years since you had a golf product
    2. The market can support it, and your company needs to find some niches in order to survive
    3. Many young stars could support a premium product and drive sales, particularly in overseas markets

2) The Old Judge has an auction coming up. I am going off of memory here as I do not have the catalog in front of me, so I am sure I am going to forget some…but these lots include:
    - 1898 Harry Vardon Cricketeers and Sportsmen SGC 5
    - A bunch of Ogdens F series graded 1902 Tabls
    - Large lot of Ogdens numbered series from 1901, including a bunch of base variations
    - Lot of Bobby Jones cards including a PSA 5 Sweetacres
    - US Caramel and MOTM Sarazen both graded
    - Large lot of graded golf cards from a variety of sets

Some of the opening prices seem quite high, others seem very reasonable. In my experience this seems to be pretty typical of Lew’s offerings. I wonder if the start price is set by the consignor, or if maybe it is the acquisition cost by Lew – regardless his site – the Old Judge – will be live with the Auction on March 14th.

3) REA had a press release a few months back about Jack Zugay selling off his golf card collection and consigning it through REA. While Jack has a number of sets listed under the handle “Vintagegolfcards” he also has numerous high grade single cards that might be offered. I have attempted to contact Jack a few times over the past few months but with no success, so I am not sure if I have an old email address. I have also recently sent an email to REA hoping that they can give me a “preliminary” listing as I think it will be another 2-3 weeks until the catalog comes out. If I get a list back I will let you all know what I find out. I do know that he has some gems like PSA 9 Spalding Champions, A 1901 Morris Graded PSA 8, and a PSA 8 Abdullah Bobby Jones, which if he is selling it likely will have some crazy reserve.

4) I noticed a website while I was doing some searching on line the other day. The website is http://vintagegolfcards.com/. For all I know one of you is the site administrator. I would like to say “good job” if it is one of you and if so, don’t be a stranger. I am sure there are a few people here that could help out with info, photos of cards etc if you are looking for any of that info. I have thought about tackling something similar to this over the past 4-5 years, but I do not have the time nor the computer expertise to do any of this and give it the attention it deserves on my own. Kudos to whomever is working to put this site together, and chime in and let any of us know if we can add anything to help out.

All comments on all of these topics are welcome. Happy Collecting

Dave
  • Options
    "- 1898 Harry Vardon Cricketeers and Sportsmen SGC 5"

Dave -
    I received the catalog and thought the 1898 Vardon card was cool.
    What is your guesstimate on value?

Joe,

Hard to guess value of that card, I thought $1000 opening bid is a bit steep, but at the same time, if two people get after this one it could go for double that.

Always hard to predict value on something like this that is very rare and basically non-existent.

When will you see another? How much will someone overpay?

I know one person (not me) who is VERY interested as he wants to add it to a Harry Vardon signed letter from about the same time and make a display piece since it is truly Vardon's rookie card. The Letter he has is 3 pages and on some really elaborate letterhead, I am sure the two combined would be an outstanding display piece, I know he will be a strong bidder on this card, but how strong is likely dependent on how crazy of a mood he is in.....

I am bummed as I would have bid on it, but i don't want to be bidding against a friend on a card like this.

Dave
  • Options
    Dave -

Yeah.... I am not sure how much I would be willing to bid - but I am interested in the card.

Most of the lots I was interested in last year had starting bids over their value (IMO)...... his starting bids are quite high.

I am also looking forward to the cards in the upcoming REA auction.
    The Jack Zugay collection is being auctioned off by REA this year.

I posted the following two posts on the New 54 Message boards under the vintage golf board. I know not everyone is on over there that is on here and vice versa, but since I put so much time into it, I thought I would post both places. Feel free to comment.....some great stuff coming up on auctions in the next couple of months.

Dave
  • Options
    The Old Judge has his annual auction rolling, and some real nice Golf Cards. Here are pretty much the entire lot of golf card with some highlights and some commentary from me:

1. 1898 Harry Vardon Ogdens Cricketeers and Sportsmen SGC 50 - This one had a high start price but already has a couple of bids. A very rare card.

2. Group of Falkners Golf Terms and Clarke and Sons Sporting terms all PSA graded. - Not my bag personally, but these are very rare cards!

3. Group of PSA 1900 Copes and 1902 Ogdens Tabs - The Copes include #5- A Drive (PSA 5), #16 - An Anxious Moment (PSA 7), #17 - The Tee Shot (PSA 5) and #25 - J. Ball (PSA 4). The six Ogdens are highlighted by the Harry Varden "C" Series (PSA 4) and 5 cards from the Tabs series - Vardon Driving (PSA 5), a rare numbered 242-Vardon (PSA 4 MK), J. Ball (PSA 3.5), H. Vardon (PSA 5) and Ben Sayers (PSA 4). - A nice lot here with some toughies especially from the Ogdens series. I remember when I had the highest 1900 Copes set....ahhh the memories...maybe again someday....

4. 6 different PSA graded Rare 1901 Ogden Guinea Gold numbered variations. All are different and include 4 of the 6 known golfers. There are 3 with J. H. Taylor ( 2 PSA 7 and 1 PSA 5) each with a different variety of the "g" in Cigarettes. Also one each of Harry Vardon (PSA 4), James Braid (PSA 6) and Harold Hilton (PSA 6 MK). A rare group. - if you are the type collector this is for you. Two PSA 7's from this series are nuts, and you get all of the different Base series C, H, F and I. THe H and F series in my experience are ultra tough.

5. 1902 Ogdens Very rare F Series near set with 7 of the 9 cards, all SGC graded. Missing are F352 Ball and F352 Laidlaw. Includes #241-Braid (SGC 70 EX+ 5.5), #242-Vardon (SGC 70 EX+ 5.5), #243-Richardson #(SGC 80 EX/NM 6), #244-Gray (SGC A AUTH), F341 H. Vardon (SGC 20 FAIR 1.5), F353 (SGA A AUTH), AND F355 Hilton (SGC 60 EX 5). All of these cards have minimally an excellent appearance. - A $1000 opener here seems really high for two authentic grades and one 1.5 graded card, still the F series are a bit tougher but this would be a much better buy at half the start price

6. Two 1923 sets issued by Copes and B. Morris and Sons, both called "Golf Strokes". The better Copes set consists of 32 cards and features 9 different cards with photos of Harry Vardon, 7 cards with Abe Mitchell, 5 cards with George Mitchell, 7 cards with J.H. Taylor and 4 with Edward Ray. The set is vg-ex with most excellent or better. The Morris set is 25 cards and all cards feature illustrations and golf tips by Arthur Havers. The set is also vg-ex with most cards being excellent or better. - the 1923 Copes set is one of the most underrated. If it had Jones or Hagen it would sell for 5x what it does. Very rare in anything other than smoked condition. I have the #1 set and I am glad I picked it up when I had the chance.

7. 1927 Churchman set of 50 Famous Golfers. Tough set with sepia photos of small cigarette cards. Includes Two Bobby Jones cards, a Tom Morris and 3 Harry Vardon. Highlights: 27-Jones (ex-mt), 28-Jones (ex-mt), 33-Tom Morris (ex-mt), 44-47- Vardon (all ex-mt to nr mt); Balance: all ex-mt to near mint.
    - another $1000 opener here, not sure you could grade a flip and make it back if you pieced it out, but if you want to buy and hold this looks like a decent set for the price.

8. Four very high grade PSA graded cards from the 1927 Churchman Famous Golfers (Small) including Jones & Morris. Includes # 1- J. Ball (PSA 7 (highest known), # 14-Walter Hagen (PSA 8.5), # 28-Bobby Jones (PSA 8), #33-Tom Morris (PSA 8). - would love the Hagen 8.5 for my own set and the Ball in PSA 7 is TOUGH. might be interesting if any set registry folks chase this one.

9. 1928 J. Millhoff set of 27 Famous Golfers. Very popular and difficult sepia toned photographic set. Featuring Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen, the set is virtually all near mint. The #20-Jones card appears near mint on the front, however, the rear has a slight abrasion or scrape (see scan). - Tough luck on the Jones - the star of the set. Will be interesting where this one ends up. I have not seen a decent raw set for sale for some time.

10. 4 PSA graded golf cards of Walter Hagan. Group is highlighted by a 1926 Spalding card (PSA EX-MT 6). Also a 1927 Churchman Famous Golfers #13 (PSA 6), a W512 very neatly cut strip card (PSA 8) and a 1945 Autograph Game Card (PSA 6). - First off, I wish people could spell Hagen's name correctly. Not a big fan of the Liesester game card, but still a nice lot. Especially the Spalding card. The $250 opener is one of the better deals in the auction as far as golf cards go in my opinion.

11. Two PSA 8 Churchman cards of Walter Hagan and Harry Vardon. Includes 1931 Churchman Sporting Celebrities # 33Â Hagen (PSA 8) and 1931 Churchman Prominent Golfers (Large)Â # 9 Vardon (PSA 8). - Not for me but two nice cards!

12. Two PSA Gene Sarazen graded cards including a 1932 U.S. Caramel. The U.S. Caramel was graded a PSA EX 5 apparently because of paper aging as the card appears much better. The second Sarazen card is from the Churchman Men of The Moment small set #31 and is a PSA NM-MT 8 - Might bid on this one just for the US Caramel....The MOM card at one time could sell for big money, the last one in an 8 went for about $75 though.

13. Group of 7 Early Harry Vardon PSA graded golf cards. The group includes two 1914 Marsumas #1 Vardon’s Grip #4 (PSA 4.5), #35 (PSA 4), 1923 Golf Strokes Vardon #6 (PSA 6), a 1927 Churchman Famous Golfers - small #44 (PSA 7), a 1927 Churchman Famous Golfers - large #11 (PSA 6), a 1928 Millhoff #5 Vardon (PSA 8 O/C), 1930 Wills #22 Famous Golfers (PSA 7). - Would love to find a partner on this just so I could get the Wills Vardon for my set registry, there is another similar vardon in a later lot too...if anyone is interested in a deal like this let me know.

14. 6 High Grade Bobby Jones PSA graded golf cards. The group includes a 1927 BAT Who’s Who (PSA VG-EX 4), a 1928 Millhoff Famous Golfers #20 (PSA 7), a 1930 Sweetacres (PSA 5), a 1931 #5 Churchman Prominent Golfers (large) (PSA 7), a 1932 Wills Homeland Events showing Jones at the 17th at St. Andrews at the British Amateur in 1930 (PSA 5) and a 1935 J.A. Pattreiouex #19 (NM-MT 8). - The only thing here of interest to me is the Sweetacres, but still a nice lot.

15. Group of 38 diverse golf cards, all graded by PSA. Highlights are 4 T218 golfers (4s or 5s), 1914 Marsuma Braid, 2 1928 Churchman Large Braid (5), 1930 Wills Braid (7) and Vardon (7); 12 1939 Players (grades from 5 to 8, 1959 Fleer Williams & Snead (8), 12 1939 Player & Sons cards, 1951 Berk Ross Hogan (PSA 6), etc. Detailed list on request. - I have not requested a detailed list, but if someone does and wants to post it here that would be great. Again, would love to get in on a vardon Wills if anyone is interested let me know

There is also a lot under mixed sports that has The T227’s of Golfers Harold Hilton (good) and Jack McDermott (good) - both have some front damage and no back scans are provided. These are tough cards however and they also come with a bunch of others...should be interesting to see what this goes for.

All your comments are welcome. A really nice and diverse offering of cards from the Old Judge!
  • Options
    Hey all. First of all I want it to be known that while I have dealt with Jack Zugay over the years (even got a nice compliment from him is a PSA article once upon a time) I have not spoken or corresponded with him in months. I was suprised to see he was selling his entire golf card collection (it appears that way at least) and I do hope that all is ok and it is simply a case where he has decided to move onto other avenues.

I took the time to write to REA to see if they could give me a teaser of a breif description of the lots that they would be offering for Jack. While many are PSA Registry sets, and any of us could view those on the PSA site, I know he has some single cards that are very high grade that might be offered.

Below are the twenty-five lots from the Jack Zugay Collection that will be offered by REA. Too bad I do not have a better description of a few lots, but still it was nice for the REA folks to reply to me when I asked if they could provide a list ahead of the catalog coming out. The auction catalogs are being mailed the first week of April and the auction ends on May 7th.

I have added some comments to each of these, feel free to comment as you see fit. I never have met Jack in person, although I had many deals with him via email over the years. He was always a nice person in my dealings with him, and I can assure you this is likely the biggest collection that will hit the market any time ine the near or distant future.

1914 Marsuma "Famous Golfers and Their Strokes" Complete Set (50): #1 PSA
    Set Registry! - A real tough set should be interesting what this goes for as I believe Jack bought it on last years REA auction.

1923 Cope Bros. & Co. "Golf Strokes" PSA-Graded Complete Set (32) - I have the #1 set from this very tough issue. I need to look to see if any would upgrade mine and I might have a standing offer for the winner of this one

1927 W. A. & A. C. Churchman "Famous Golfers" (Large) Complete Set (12): #1
    PSA Set Registry! -Jones, Hagen, Vardon, just 12 cards but large size and rare...what more do you need to say?

1924 W.D. & H.O. Wills" Golfing" Complete Set (25): #1 PSA Set Registry! - A fabulous set featuring some of the more popular golf courses of the day, St Andrews, Muirfield, Cruden Bay just to name a few (how many of you have been to these places or played any of them?) I can claim 6 of the 25 in the set as personally played or visited. A nice set with great artwork, mid grade examples are normally affordable so I am interested to see what this one does.

1928 J. Millhoff & Co. "Famous Golfers" Complete Set (27): #1 PSA Set
    Registry! - I have conversed with Jack many many times over the years...this was his favorite set bar none. He was always a millhoff guy and when early copies of "9's" started hitting the market, I just got out of his way as I was costing him money. I actually sold him a number of cards in this set. It is really a top notch set and probably was his toughest one to part with.

1928 W. A. & A. C. Churchman "Famous Golfers" (Large) Second Series Complete
    Set (12): #1 PSA Set Registry! - Old Tom Morris Large Size...this is actually more rare than the 27 Large set in my opinion, wonder if someone will chase both of these issues down simultaneously?

1930 W.D. & H.O. Wills "Famous Golfers" Complete Set (25): #1 PSA Set
    Registry! - Highlighted by Vardon and Hagen cards, Another great set with epic artwork. Just think if they had a 1930 Wills Bobby Jones...sort of like Topps Missing out on the 54 and 55 Mantle cards.....dang it anyhow.

1931 W. A. & A. C. Churchman "Prominent Golfers" (Large) Complete Set (12):
    #1 PSA Set Registry! - This is a TOP SHELF set. Unreal GPA - Sharp cards with caricatures. This one might go a bit nuts...it is always a popular one.

1936 John Cotton Ltd. "Golf Strokes" A/B Complete Set (50): #1 PSA Set
    Registry! - The Cotton cards have grooves in the side like they were supposed to be held together with a string or a rubber band and then viewed much like a flicker book. Never one of the more Popular sets but they are rare in high grade

1936 John Player and Son "Championship Golf Courses" Complete Set (25): #1
    PSA Set Registry! - These cards look more like golf course architectural renderings that would make my cousin the golf course designer proud. A nice set that features many big name courses.

1937 John Cotton Ltd. "Golf Strokes" C/D Complete Set (50): #1 PSA Set
    Registry! - see my notes from the A/B set above, I think this may be a bit more rare but not sure.

1901-1902 Ogden's Guinea Gold PSA Graded Collection (11) - Curious as to if these are tabs, or F series sportsment etc. Will there be a Morris? How many vardon's? One thing I would wager money on is that they will all be high grade.

1901 W. & F. Faulkner "Golf Terms" PSA Graded Collection (3) A very tough set and just three cards, not sure which ones.

1926 Lambert & Butler "Who's Who In Sport" Golf PSA-Graded Complete Set
    Including Jones (5) - The Jones has to be a minimum of an 8 - this one will draw some interest for sure.

1928 W. A. & A. C. Churchman "Men Of The Moment In Sport" (Small) Golf
    Near-Complete PSA NM-MT 8 Set Including Jones (9) - A striaght 8 set - With Sarazen, Hagen and Jones, a nice way to pick up the golfers from this multi sport set.

1930 Major Drapkin & Co. "Sporting Celebrities In Action" Golf Complete PSA
    MINT 9 Set Including Jones (3) - Wow Jones Drapkin 9, also a Hagen 9, a free gift to the first person who knows the other golfer without looking it up that is.....This 3 card offering is sure to go for a LOT of money. Drapkin cards are notoriusly poorly centered and they are more rare than a lot of other mainstream issues.

1926 Spalding Champions PSA MINT 9 Collection (4) Including Walter Hagen - I have a Hagen 9, but there are some other great ones that might be included in the other three including Ouimet, Sarazen, can't wait to see what else is part of this lot.

1927 W. A. & A. C. Churchman "Famous Golfers" PSA-Graded Near-Complete Set
    (38/50) - I think these are all PSA 8's at a minimum. Jack was trying to buy my Morris 9 once upon a time, so I would not be suprised to see some 9's in here as well. The complete #1 set last year went for over 20K with the juice attached...Yikes!

1928 W. A. & A. C. Churchman "Men Of The Moment In Sport" (Large) #7 Bobby
    Jones - PSA NM-MT 8 - This is a TOUGH card in this type of grade...but wait it gets better.....

Extremely Rare 1932 Abdulla & Co. "Sport Records" #200 Bobby Jones - PSA
    NM-MT 8 - I know Jack once offered this card to another collector (not me) and valued it at $10K. Not sure what it will go for, actually curious what the opening bid will be. This is an impossible card in any grade ( I have a PSA 5 that I originally bought raw for a song, and doubt I would fork the money to get one any nicer)

Circa 1910 T218 and T227 Golf Cards Graded Collection (4) Probably a Hilton and Mcdermott? We can only hope, and knowing Jack these are higher grades than most you will ever see

1928 J. Millhoff & Co. "Famous Golfers" PSA Graded Collection (11) Including
    Jones & Hagen - Maybe leftovers? I am guessing these are still PSA 8 range cards. A nice lot for someone here to be sure.

Nineteenth and Early Twentieth-Century PSA Graded Golf Card Collection (4) - can we Hope for Fj Smiths and Ogdens Cricketeers? Maybe a Baines Sheild or Golf Ball card or two......anyone want a side wager what this lot will be?

Arnold Palmer Upper Deck PSA GEM MINT 10 Autographed Card Collection (2) - I think Jack used to do some accounting work or something similar with Arnie in the past (maybe still does)

1920-1973 Hall of Famer and Stars PSA-Graded Golf Card Collection (133) - wow. 133 cards...that is a HUGE group, I am guessing some more obscure stuff here, Kellogs Pep, Wheaties, Barratts, Strip cards, who knows...A big amount of graded cards - 133 is a BUNCH, will be curious to see what this lot all has.

That is the entire list, would love to hear what your favorites here are or if any of you have any thoughts about any of the offerings!

Happy Collecting!

Dave
  • Options
    Quick question for you golf experts, and I apologize that this doesn't technically fall under "vintage" golf. What do you guys consider to be Greg Norman's rookie card? I've seen his 1986 Panini Supersport listed as such, but I wanted to confirm that with you all. And with that - do any of you guys collect Panini golf?

Thanks for your time,
    Jeff
    Jeff