Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The official Vintage Golf Card Thread

Comments

• scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    TTT with a bump....

There's been a good amount of ebay activity in golf cards but not so much on this thread, so maybe this can get things going again?
    While I'm at it, please let me know if anyone is aware of an Ogden's I-Base Old Tom Morris that is available. My preference would be mid-grade (PSA 4-5-6 range) but would be open to any.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Well everyone...we have some good news!

I went through 8 weeks and 10 treatments of chemotherapy and then 20 days of radiation. As of this past week, I now have a clean bill of health. I will continue to go in for follow up scans for my lymph nodes every 3 months for at least two years, but as of right now....I am as good as new.

I still am re-habbing my knee which started all of this fun in the first place...but I hope to have my old golf game back by next year.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and support.

Dave
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
    Congrats Dave, great to hear things are looking up! You've always been a pleasure to deal with, and I wish nothing but the best for a continued recovery....

Scott
    Now let's get back to talking about golf cards on here...it has been way too slow.
  • wait.... can't get back to cards just yet.....

Dave - that is great, great news.
    You made my weekend.
    Now - fix that knee and get back to the golf course.

Okay... now on cards.....
    what are the odds the National Card show will have a good selection of vintage golf?
    And - do we have any collectors here who will be going to the show?

I went to the National the last time it was in Chicago. Vintage golf was fairly limited. I did see one 1927 churchman set (actually two if you count Joe Verno's graded set he was getting back from PSA at the booth!)

I did see exhibit cards of Sarazen and Hogan, it was the first time I had seen those. The Sarazen was QUITE old, but in poor shape. I did pick up some Kelloggs Pep cards there including my Snead PSA 8 OC. Paid like $40 for it.

I also picked up a PSA 5 SK Hagen and PSA 6 Jones

So yeah, there is a little there, but could be a bit more these days.
  • 262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    I have decided to part with my 1924 Wills Golf set. All with FREE shipping and priced very low.

LINK

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• New to the PSA forum, been a PSA member for years and just joined the forum. I have a few High Grade Vintage Items im getting ready to sell. Have a few Golf, PSA 7 1926 Bobby Jones Lambert & Butler Rc, PSA 7 1935 Bobby Jones J.A. Pattreiouex, and a PSA 8.5 1926 Jesse Sweetser Lambert & Butler. Let me know if your interested.
    PS: Other Sports include Boxing: PSA 7 Joe Louis Rc, PSA 9 ALI/CLAY Rc, Dempsey, Tunney, Sullivan, Baseball: Ruth's.

Thanks, Matt
    Ebay Store: MSKD2

Thanks, Matt
    Hello all!

Hope this finds you well in this season of Thanksgiving.

I am coming up to "closing" the deal which will have me parting ways with my extensive golf card collection to a new owner.

I have enjoyed getting to know many of you over the years and buying, selling and trading a number of cards with so many different people. It has been nice to see this niche hobby area grow exponentially over the last 10 years.

I have not yet decided what my collecting future will hold. There is a chance I will continue to pick up nice raw examples of golf cards and attempt to find them new homes in many of your collections. Selling my collection has definately left me torn with some emotions at times, but I am VERY PLEASED that it is going to a happy new home and that the new owner is as excited about getting the cards as I was in assembling them all together.

I will continue to follow things here and as always am avaiable to answer questions etc.

I also wanted to say a thank you again to those who stayed in touch with me this past year with my surgery and cancer treatments. If I have learned nothing else it is that there are a lot of really nice and caring people all over in this world.

Happy Holidays!

Dave
    I have put it on ebay
  • what is the ebay link?
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
    How about an overdue bump to the vintage golf thread - I'll do it by showing off by best golf pickup in a while. I finished my 18 card Ogden I-base set with this one!

If I can cross it to a PSA 7 it'll give me the #1 set on the registry!

Got a couple nice ones on ebay right now if anyone is interested...

Vardon

PSA 8.5 Gene Sarazen
    I have a 1927 Famous Golfers small set for sale....dug one up that I forgot I had. One of the Jones Cards is pretty nice likely a psa 7 type material. I would overall call the set excellent + if you would like scans please email me or send me a PM.

I will take offers for a week or so, then likely put on ebay if no interest.

Thanks!
    Howdy all!

Haven't posted in awhile as I was selling my collection. good news is I sold part of it, my most prized portion, my 1900 Copes golfers set

Good news part II! I am still collecting a bit. Always looking for a few upgrades to my churchman sets. I see some new faces on the set registries. If anyone has anything that would upgrade any of my churchman or millhoff sets I would be interested.

Also, as an FYI I am battling round number two with my Hodgkins. I am scheduled to start stem cell transplant in the next couple of weeks, so the checking into golf cards is a nice respite.

If anyone knows of any of the newer folks getting into golf cards, link them to this post. Also I think there was another message board deal that used to be Network 54 but I have been out of the loop for so long, I cannot find that either. If someone wants to clue me in...I would love to check it out!

With the Masters right around the corner, now is a good time to see some material usually surface in the golf card arena. Not sure I will be buying much, but always like seeing what is in the marketplace!

Hope all is well with all of you collectors out there! Good hunting!
  • Dave,

Great to hear from you!

It would be nice if golf collectors kept in touch more.

The network 54 golf forum moved to this site.....
    http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

You will need to register again / but the forum capabilities are a lot better.

Congrats on the Copes sale!
    If you have other stuff available for sale - let me know! I'm in the mood for some shopping.
    shoot me an email - joe@internetville.com

And.... most importantly - - all the best on round 2 of your fight!
    I will send positive vibes and a prayer your way.

Regards,
    Joe

Also looks like some nice auction action coming up. The usual array of a lot of items in Lew Lipsets catalog, although REALLY some high starting prices given the quality of the material in my opinion....I mean you DO want bidding don't you. Does not look like a lot of bargains in that auction to be found.

I have not gotten my REA catalog yet but I think there is going to be a LOT of golf cards in their upcoming auction image
  • I agree.

I don't quite understand some of Lew's 'starting prices'.

Items are starting higher than they sold for. Its crazy.
    Well it is now masters week so some nice stuff is starting to fall from the trees again! LET'S GET SOME SCANS OF ANY NEW AND COOL STUFF POSTED HERE. Maybe we can get thsi thread a little more active again for a change
    OK, so the REA Catalog is not shipped yet but the bidding has begun. If anyone here is bidding on the 1923 Cope's set, I would be interested in working out a deal. I have the finest #1 set currently and there are only two cards in the set being offered on this auction that would upgrade my collection.

So, if you are the lucky winner, and see this, I would be interested in trading my examples to you plus some sort of cash equivalent. I am NOT going to bid on this set as I don't see the reason to go nuts for just a two card upgrade.

Keep me in mind....thanks

Dave
    1927 Set on REA Auction

This is already bid up to 13K with still a lot of time left before the end of the auction. I guess I am a little suprised. Which one of you big daddies is trying to get the #1 overall set? Looks like a bidding war has started so I wonder how high this will go.
  • Dave,
    Hello. I don't check in over here as much as I used to, but it looks like you have been keeping this thread alive for a while by yourself. I am also a little surprised about the current price of the #1 Small Churchman set. So with the bidder’s premium it is a little over 15.2K. It will be interesting to see where it ends and who buys it. I hope everything went well with your stem cell transplant.
    Take care,
    Jason
    Thanks Jason...good to hear from you.

Yes I am resting up at home. I think in another month or so I should be feeling better.

I am getting back into buying a few things mainly upgrading my existing sets. I sold my Cope's set but that was all. SO I am working to upgrade what I have and someday maybe even picking up another Copes set although I won't chase one as high as Mike D has put together. If you have not done so check it out. It is HOF worthy. Unbelievable!
    REA ends tonight. Should be interesting. The Marsuma and 27 Churchman's small is getting a LOT of action early. Might be a grduge match bidding war on those two sets.

The Lambert and Butlet set is almost completely graded and is under $2K. The Jones RC is an 8.5....seems like a good buy for someone.

I have picked up 11 Ogdens from 1901 in the past week as well as a nice Jones RC and a Pattreiouex Celebrities in sport set. Mainly for everyone BUT the Jones, I have a psa 7 Jones and have been kicking myself for selling the rest of the cards off for years. Still maybe my favorite set ever. The artwork is just flat out one of my favorites.

What is everyone working on here? Thanks to Greg and Mike D for helping out with my world golf hall of fame set. I am hoping to get it to 100% completion soon, but the SI for kids cards are actually some of the toughest to track down.

Too bad for Lorena Ochoa. She has to play for 10 years to be eligible for the World Golf hall of fame. She only will have 8 years when she hangs it up after this week. She would be a shoe in otherwise.

Dave
    The REA results were strong....

The 27 Churchman set went for 19K

The Marsuma set went for $4250

The 1923 Copes set went for $4500

And you still have to add the 17.5% juicke to those numbers.

Hope whoever won the 1923 set contacts me...I am looking to upgrade just two cards!

I hope you won if you were bidding! That Churchman set is a monster!
    Long time readers!

Seems like we have a few newer folks getting into Golf lately. Was thinking about starting a new thread, maybe one where people could put up more scans of pick ups, talk about what they are working on, whatever...just seems like too much of the older guard here has gone stale...

Anyone have any thoughts....the last thing I want this to be is a fruitless effort, but I value the opinions of eveyone here.

In other news, if any one else can lobby for the McDobbs 1900 Copes complete set, they should to the set registry folks. That think is Hall of Fame worthy to be sure. I even had put a post on it on the general board a few days back.

Look forward to hearing any and all comments from anyone still here.

Dave
    Hey Dave,

Glad all is well with you - let's try and keep this thread going!

Here's a new pickup of mine from eBay last week....

Scott

Were you doing a lot of bidding last week? There were a lot of auctions running on ebay!
    I was the underbidder on several auctions last week - probably should've gone a bit stronger on a few cards, but happy to get the Jones above!
  • Scott,

Great looking Jones.

I picked up this Ogdens Old Tom.....
    beautiful condition / but slightly touched up in the lower left corner with black ink (I believe).... and it was listed that way by an honest eBayer.

As Dave knows (I emailed him)..... I picked up the 1923 Copes set from REA.
    Absolutely beautiful cards in the set. Some of the '6's look as good as the '8's.

a few from the set....

That is one RARE set.

Looking back I should have bid on the Marsuma set, but oh well......

I picked up the three williards chocolate cards this weekend. Sarazen SGC 70, Collett SGC 80 and Havers SGC 40. I think they were part of the REA set the was auction just based on the grades alone.

I also have been on a huge bying spree of raw ogdens cards. Some tabs, some 1901 I Base Series, the numbered cards, pretty much you name it. I also have picked up a few graded 1901 Ogdens so if All goes well, I should have the set completed.

I am always nervouse buying those Ogdens ungraded. Too many instances of re-coloring, trimming, etc. But, they are still rare cards. I bought a complete set of cards from one guy (the tabs series) the J Morris (Old Tom) looked pretty good but a few others I am a bit suspicious with with trimming, but we will see. They should be here any day.

I also picked up a Base F series Vardon graded PSA 5. Can't wait for that one to arrive. That is a rare card indeed.

I am thinking about hitting up the PSA folks and starting a complete Ogdens registry set, (as well as the 1902 Tabs set) and maybe also a Harry Vardon Registry. I would need to chase those darn Marsuma cards though...See there we go again!

I hope to share some pictures if I am smart enough to figure that out, once I get some of the cards in.

• I was really close to bidding up that Marsuma set.
    I went back and forth on that one, but eventually decided to focus just on the Copes.

I may look to pick up some mid-range raw sets and enjoy some of these cards in binders.

.... The National is just a couple of months away. I will be there. If anyone wants to get together for a drink, or to walk around during the show - that would be great.
    The last National I went to (a couple of years ago) did not have that much in the way of golf.... but hopefully this one will be better.
    I am looking to upgrade or add any of these cards for my World Golf Hall of Fame set....Does anyone have any of these in grades at least what I am listing here? I realize some of these are pretty modern...Any help is appreciated

Here is the list

1931 Churchman Leo Diegel - PSA 8 or higher
    1931 Churchman Horton Smith - PSA 8 or higher
    1935 Mitchell and Sons Gallery Lawson Little - PSA 8 or higher
    1948 Kelloggs Pep Lloyd Mangrum - PSA 6 or higher
    1952 Wheaties Patty Berg - PSA 7 or higher
    1968 American Oil Julis Boros - PSA 5 or higher
    1981 Donruss Ray Floyd - PSA 9
    1992 Si for Kids Nancy Lopez PSA 8 or higher
    1990 Pro Set Billy Casper - PSA 10
    1990 Pro Set Chi Chi Rodriquez - PSA 10
    1992 PRO SET PGA JOSE MARIA OLAZABAL EUROPEAN TOUR - PSA 9 or higher
    1996 SPORTS ILLUSTRATED FOR KIDS SERIES 2 KARRIE WEBB - I need one!!!
    1998 CHAMPIONS OF GOLF MASTERS Craig Wood - I need one!!!!
    2003 UPPER DECK GOLF JULI INKSTER - PSA 9 or 10

any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave
    In other news...

Just requested A Harry Vardon set for the PSA Registry. I am also going to hopefully request the 1902 Ogdens Tabs General Interest golfers but right now I have a bunch of raw cards and none graded.

I left the FJ Smiths and the Ogdens Cricketeers card off of the Vardon request sheet. Those are very very rare. Heck a few of the Ogdens issues only have a handful graded so assembling the complete registry set will be difficult.

I also assigned weighting to it...I know that helps speed up the process, not sure if everyone will agree with what I assigned but hey you have to start somewhere.

Thanks to some gracious folks I have a raw Karrie Webb or two on the way and also a graded Olazabal! Thanks everyone!

The World Golf Hall of Fame announced their ballot for the 2011 Class today. In case anyone is interested, here is the complete listing of the candidates:

PGA TOUR BALLOT:

Miller Barber
    Fred Couples
    Ernie Els
    Doug Ford
    Jay Haas
    Don January
    Tony Lema
    Davis Love III
    Jug McSpaden
    Mark O'Meara
    Kenny Perry
    Macdonald Smith
    Dave Stockton
    Ken Venturi
    Fuzzy Zoeller

International Ballot:

Peter Alliss
    Darren Clarke
    Max Faulkner
    Reteif Goosen
    Sandy Lyle
    Graham Marsh
    Colin Montgomerie
    Jumbo Ozaki
    Ian Woosnam

Just got back from Scotland! Being over there on all with all of the history of the game just gets me that much more ready to buy some more vintage golf! If I am smart enough I might share a couple of pictures here. We stayed literally in a flat overlooking the 18th green at the old course for the entire week. EPIC!
  • Dave -

That sounds like a great trip!

Did you play any golf?

Joe
    Unfortuantely no golf for me. I set this trip up almost a year ago, then had my Hodgkins reoccurence. I had a stem cell transplant about 3 months ago and was doing dynamiite until about a month ago when I had a super rare reaction to one of the chemo drugs that attacked the outer lining of my lungs....put me in the ICU and for about 5 days. I was very fortunate to even go on the trip.

I rented a flat in a building that is LITERALLY overlooking the 18th green at the Old Course. It is the last building on the right side as you play up #18. 2nd floor apt that slept 6. Great views. They already had all of the grandstands up on the Old Course.

I contacted some courses ahead of time and was lucky enough to take a "buggy" (golf cart) out on 4 of the 6 courses the guys played so I could at least play official group photographer. I think I took about 500 pictures while we were there.

The group played the New Course, Old Course and Castle Courses at St Andrews, Cruden Bay, Crail and North Berwick. Great lineup. We stayed in St Andrews the entire time. We also hired a van service to take us to the three courses outside of St Andrews. If you go online, book the courses and the place to stay and the van service, it is an affordable trip Including spending money and airfare from Omaha Ne, I you are looking at about $3600 for the week...and airfare was $1500 of that...ouch.

If you use a "tour service" the main difference is they are going to put you up in fancy hotels that you spend very little time in anyway, and they are going to make a lot of money off of you......I would say if you do it all yourself you can play GREAT venues and go for less than half the cost of what you would spend through a tour service.

On another note.....A TPK Hannah Ben Hogan PSA 9 went for $40 on ebay tonight....$40!!!!!! I was at my parents for Fathers day and missed getting home to bid....I guess I should have sniped that one......WOW what a deal for somebody!

Happy to say I finished off my Ogden's Guinea Gold set last night on the PSA registry, by picking up an Old Tom in PSA 5. (I have an SGC 84 which looks too nice in the holder and I didn't want to cross over for the registry, so it'll just be more fun to own two Old Tom's, I guess!)

My set has a weighting of 5.85, good enough for 4th on the all-time registry, which is where I'll stay. It's tough to find some of these cards, so I'm happy to be done with this set!

Guinea Gold on the registry
    Too Bad you bot bid up by one person a LOT on that Morris at the very end. It is a tough card though. Congrats on completing your set. I have some raw cards to send in as well (posted all of em on the Net 54 board post that I have picked up recently) and although I have a few higher grades I am with you looking for a nice medium grade set, but hey, I will alway look to upgrade the Morris.

I picked up a PSA 5 Snead Kelloggs pep last night for a whopping $86. That is super cheap for a card you never see and has a pop of basically 20 with only 4 or 5 graded higher. I thought that was a very reasonable price for that tough card. The Pep's are tough. This one had great centering too!

• Nice pickup Scott! I really like the centering on that card. Congratulations on finishing your set.

Jason
  • Just returned from the National and made some cool golf pickups including:

- - Harry Vardon stereoview

- - Willard's Chocolate Collett

- - Wheaties golfers subset

• Dave,

I don't know the year - but I will try to reach out to people who know about Stereoviews (and dating them). If I find out any additional info I will post it.

It is really nice in person, and I love that the tag line calls Vardon "The King of Golfers".

Joe
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Can someone help me out with a Population Report on

1927 BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO #44 A Boomer PSA 8

1927 BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO #40 Miss C Leitch PSA 7

1927 BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO #30 J Sweetser PSA 6

1927 BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO #38 Miss M Gourlay PSA 6

Any help would be appreciated!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    Greg

PM sent

Dave