Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    My newest addition to my Carl Willey collection. Got this a couple of weeks ago, but I've been in the process of moving and have not had alot of time available.

Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Another card for my Yankees retired number collection. Reggie's best season as a Yankee.
    This one has nice centering compared to some others I've seen.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bri

Very nice Munson.

Ted

I remember when Alan Hager had a boatload of different proofs - I wonder if he picked them up at the famous 1989 Guernsey Auction.

Nice item - my favorite proof is actually a half sheet from Toppsvault - 83T with the Ryno RC.

tkd

Superb Reggie card! I know people don't love him - but I liked him in NY - he brought a Jerry
    Springeresque flavor to the Yankees if you know what I mean.

I was a big bleacher bum when I was in school at Columbia and watching him provide so much excitement to the routine play was off the chart - for those who don't know - he's good at misjudging high fly balls.

But the arm is off the chart! And he was Mr. October and could knock the cover of the ball!

mike
    Mike

• << <i>Brian

Rain forrest v. cards? Cards!

Did ya get a good deal on the Griffey? If he starts hitting homers, his card could do something again but, then again, they made 10 skillion!

thanx for sharing guys
    the best!
    mike >>

10 skillion image

I recently started going down memory lane to '98 (when I first started collecting) when all the stuff I wanted went for huge dollars and I couldn't afford them. Most of those cards have bottomed out. The Griffey was $400 back then - I got it for $37 last week. While I don't think it'd be a good investment, I doubt it would go much lower.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    This might be my new favorite card:

imageimageimageimageimageimage

<< <i>

tkd

Superb Reggie card! I know people don't love him - but I liked him in NY - he brought a Jerry
    Springeresque flavor to the Yankees if you know what I mean.

I was a big bleacher bum when I was in school at Columbia and watching him provide so much excitement to the routine play was off the chart - for those who don't know - he's good at misjudging high fly balls.

But the arm is off the chart! And he was Mr. October and could knock the cover of the ball!

mike >>

Yawie-
    Nice Matty, one of the best PSA 2s I've seen. That crease doesn't detract from the appeal at all.

Mike-
    Speaking of Reggie, I went to Old Timer's Day at Yankee Stadium last year. Reggie played the top of the first inning in right field and he was practicing his swing in the field, just like the old days. You could see he was upset that he didn't get to take his cuts as the Old Timer's game was called for rain after the top of the first.

Reggie was to NY what Manny is to Boston today.
  • And WHY is this a "2"????

<< <i>This might be my new favorite card:

image >>

• << <i>And WHY is this a "2"???? >>

I was just sitting here wondering the same thing...that looks WAY better than a 2.
    Looks like some paper loss on the back. I have an Allen&Ginter in my collection with a similar issue. Looks like an 8 from the front.

imageimage
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    Just a few in today to add to my registry sets.................

• It has arrived !! image Thanks Skerbe (packaging was perfect) !! And it looks great. image

• ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I saw your post in that other thread EB, that's a beautiful Rose!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Thanks AV image
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    The crease on the Matty is enough to knock it down to vg, but there's the spot of paper loss on back - actually the paper fibers are barely disturbed so it's more like just missing ink - as well a tiny amount of paper gain. I think cards like that (i.e. stunning fronts but low technical grades) are some of the best hobby buys. It's probably especially true with cards with just modest scrapbook-type damage since being placed in the book often keeps the fronts looking very, very nice.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Postal Fairy dropped this off today....

I only need the '55 Koufax, '56 Koufax & '57 Koufax to finish the basic set. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And WHY is this a "2"????

>>

Hello! 314! Need I say more?image

Jason

That's a really sweet Rose! Get it?

Arny

Very nice card - I have the 61T - I once thought about doing the set, but too many cards.

TB

Nice Dave card! I actually like the colors.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Thanks Stone lol image

Arny,

Great looking Koufax! image
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    didnt spend 100 on it.....

• My old girlfriend had a Rusty Kuntz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ryan

Superb 6! Are you doing the 54 set? Have you completed the 57 set?

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike

<< <i>This is RARE!

I gotta card! A nice friend put $100 in my paypal. I got this card for 51$. And no more ebay for another 4 months!

I'm now at 36/67 for the set.

What do ya think?
    mike >>

I just went to my ebay account for the first time in many weeks - this has been the only item I have purchased in over 6 months!!!!!

I bought it in the end of March and they didn't leave me FB until the 16 of May.

That's the longest time for me.

Better late than never! I'm at 99!!!

Mike
  • Mailday

Only 49 (no 10's) according to the pop report image

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice looking Rose and tough for that year. Nice work.
    Jason

79s have the worst centering and condition issues - very nice Rose - ya did good!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Thanks Bobby & Mike image

I've said a million times that I am new to the grading game....and that was so apparent with this card. I had no idea '79's were so tough. I nearly passed on the card altogether....until I checked the pop report image Then it became a no brainer. It only ran me about $85...seemed like a good deal to me.
  • This took a hit in the wallet....

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is RARE!

I gotta card! A nice friend put $100 in my paypal. I got this card for 51$. And no more ebay for another 4 months!

I'm now at 36/67 for the set.

What do ya think?
    mike >>

I just went to my ebay account for the first time in many weeks - this has been the only item I have purchased in over 6 months!!!!!

I bought it in the end of March and they didn't leave me FB until the 16 of May.

That's the longest time for me.

Better late than never! I'm at 99!!!

image >>

I love '63Fleers and have always liked Kaat -- as a pitcher (Mr. Gold Glove himself!) and as an announcer. Nice pickup!

Thanks for 'fessing up about the eBay purchase -- hope you didn't relapse toooo badly! image

Here's another Senator/Twin card for the type collection:

• WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    HoofHearted

Can I one-up ya? How's this for a Senator? It's also the # 2 card in this great set!!

<< <i>HoofHearted

Can I one-up ya? How's this for a Senator? It's also the # 2 card in this great set!!

image >>

omg, awesome card! I monitored '52T sales for a while before jumping in. I wanted a graded card, but they were too spendy -- and then there's the Runnels card! That card's almost as hard to find in high grade as the Pafko. How long have you owned it?! The label seems to indicate it's been slabbed for quite a while. I'm green with envy! Thanks for sharing...
  • ColleSystemColleSystem Posts: 512 ✭✭
    A Darth Vader Rookie that I just picked up from 1977 Topps.

My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    beautiful runnels!
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    Compliments of natetrook's recent midgrade ebay sale of a complete 1954 set!!! OVERALL pretty well centered!!

• cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    gotta love then 1954s. very nice
  • This is one of my favorite threads - great cards guys!

I'm still on a modern binge. I bought this on ebay, and I got it this morning - I spent 10 minutes looking for surface flaws, but couldn't find any, and the corners and edges are perfect under 8X. It's a 10 IMO.

• ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Here are two '54s I picked up in the same sale. They are for my Pirates collection. They are not centered well, but the price was right.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection

<< <i>Compliments of natetrook's recent midgrade ebay sale of a complete 1954 set!!! OVERALL pretty well centered!! >>

Ryan
    That's it?

Very nice pickup - have you put it on the registry?

mike
    Mike
    Arch-
    Nice Bucs, happy to see you are keeping up on your Pirates set.
    Tom

• << <i>This is one of my favorite threads - great cards guys!

I'm still on a modern binge. I bought this on ebay, and I got it this morning - I spent 10 minutes looking for surface flaws, but couldn't find any, and the corners and edges are perfect under 8X. It's a 10 IMO.

image >>

I'm also looking for this card for my collection. Back when I was maybe 9 or 10 I was in Cape Hatterass and pulled a 95 Best Top 100 Andruw Jones minor league rookie card. I've kept it through the years and just got this one for my collection....image

Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

• << <i>This is one of my favorite threads - great cards guys!

image >>

crackout perhaps?
    Tonya
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Can someone explain why guys block out the cert number of cards? I've seen this before, and I'm sure there's a good reason, but I can't figure out what it is.
  • My guess is so people can't steal the cert. # and use it for their registry set

Dave

<< <i>Can someone explain why guys block out the cert number of cards? I've seen this before, and I'm sure there's a good reason, but I can't figure out what it is. >>

It relieves the temptation to do unscrupulous things with the images. That's most likely why dgf puts the company name on his classic touch-ups. Here's my edited version of a couple cards I got 1-1 1/2 years ago. They're looking like pretty good buys as of late...

imageimage

...and a team set bought at the same time:

• Recent acquisitions for my '33 O-Pee-Chee hockey master set. Forty-two more to go.

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    "Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"
    - Hobbes
    Brian

The Jones does look nice but can't tell from the scan if it's a 10 - good luck. I have the regular Bowman issues in raw - tough set - lots of scratches.

Mike
    Where did you get the team set? I like the simple design of the minor league sets - and I have seen some of the best cutting/corners from these small sets.

Comet

Those cards are unbelievable! I don't collect hockey but I never get tired of those cards - I like the design of the 33 OPS's!

Thanx for sharing guys
    mike
    Mike

<< <i>Mike
    Where did you get the team set? I like the simple design of the minor league sets - and I have seen some of the best cutting/corners from these small sets. >>

I got the Twins Elizabethton team set from "brentscard" on eBay on 5/14/04 for $14 as the only bidder. I got the graded Mauer cards in other auctions...

Go Joe!!
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I decided to grab a couple modern cards I'd had on the back burner for a while...PSA 9 AROD and Vlad rookies. The scans are in my MVP set:

MVPs
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Back from a weekend trip.....

Found these waiting for me image

imageimageimage

• A few N162's.....

Collecting Vintage Boxing Cards