Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't get something cheaper than that!

I've seen foldee proofs at the toppsvault from time to time in the past - I don't remember if I have one?

Thanx for sharing - good buy.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Here's an eBay pickup for my recently started White Sox prewar type set...

image >>

I have the Babe Ruth from that 1928 set - ironically, it has Cominsky Park in the background of the card !
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A newbie for my Hall of Fame Rookie set.

image >>

Bob, Great looking Williams card. Its a really nice "8".

Good pickup------ Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Very nice card Sonny - I also picked that card up back in the 90s - similar centering and I was very satisfied.

Thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Worked a little overtime, bought myself a present. I'm giddy. I had one like this when I was a kid, and lost it in a house fire. I never thought I could have one again.

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know the correct year of this pack? When I won it, I emailed the seller to ask if this wax pack was 1960 not 1962. He told me as far as he can tell, it is from '62.

But from what I know, I thought it was circa 1960?

Asked on the non-sports threads (nobody answered!). Maybe some learned individual here will know? image

TIA

rd

P.S. Is it possible GAI mislabeled my holder? image

• Options
    Congratulations on the Clemente Jim.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Wow Jim. A Clemente signature in and of itself is an amazing thing to possess, but to be able to have it replace such an amazing item is priceless.

BIG thumbs up to you! I think a Clemente signature is the one I'd like to own more than any other HOF'er.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Bought this from our own board member bobby (great service, again). I always thought this was a cool card.

• Options

<< <i>Bought this from our own board member bobby (great service, again). I always thought this was a cool card.

image >>

I saw that post after it was too late. Nice card.
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice words about my Clemente. I knew when I lost mine that I could never get another. If not for the internet and ebay, I would have no chance.

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a good buy, low grade is only way I can go with these types of cards, otherwise I'd be divorced.

What is that Clemente (other than sweet)?
  • Options
    Jim - very, very nice Clemente. Glad you were finally able to replace the one you lost.

Just got this in. I've been waiting a centered example to become available:

Keith
  • Options
    Incredible card Keith!

Centered like that is very rare.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks, Mike. I really enjoy the wide variety of things sports related that people collect and their sharing it on this thread. Also got this card in the mail yesterday:

Keith
  • Options
    Wow - it doesn't get better than that!

I've never seen one that nice - and I've got a few but nothing like that.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    This arrived in the mail today - and will soon be making a trip across the street image

imageimage
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    Beautiful card Tom!

That's an incredible set!

With all the talk about the 52T set - I just put away a card I picked up a couple of months ago - I've been collecting this set - unofficially - for years - here's some of the cards in the set - I try to find the best centered for a fair price:

imageimage

imageimage

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Nice 52's mike...

How many of the set do you have? Are they all 7's?
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options

<< <i>Nice 52's mike...

How many of the set do you have? Are they all 7's? >>

Thanx, I'm at about 35% - all 7s - no high numbers tho - no Pafko.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I agree with Felicia...great group of 52's Mike!
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    Another card arrived today for my White Sox type set...

Tom

• Options
    Hi Tom

That's a sweet card! Centering on the money - IMO there's nothing better than a well centered 6 with respect to ones budget.

I'd take an entire set in PSA 6 if it looked like that!

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Page turn... imageimage
    Tom

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, those 52s are off the charts! Was it you that had the 52 Gus Zernial in PSA 8? That is one of the coolest cards in the set IMO.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, those 52s are off the charts! Was it you that had the 52 Gus Zernial in PSA 8? That is one of the coolest cards in the set IMO. >>

Thanx - not me - got it in 7.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a card but Ive been looking for a nice 1955 double die for years. Just got it today!! image
    damn scans messed up
  • Options
    Very proud of my recent pickup image

I just can't stop looking at this card!
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    If you like the card, then great

I think it's a shame that they ruin a Dr. J game-used jersey that way

I also wonder why a tiny square of cloth has value to anyone. Why not save your $ and buy the whole damn jersey?

If someone took a jersey and cut it up, its value would be zero, IMO

It's like cutting up an autograph and selling the individual letters in memorabilia cards, it makes no sense

I think when they cut up a Gehrig jersey (i.e.) into tiny squares, they are ruining important historical items. It should be illegal

• Options

<< <i>If you like the card, then great

I think it's a shame that they ruin a Dr. J game-used jersey that way

I also wonder why a tiny square of cloth has value to anyone. Why not save your $ and buy the whole damn jersey?

If someone took a jersey and cut it up, its value would be zero, IMO

It's like cutting up an autograph and selling the individual letters in memorabilia cards, it makes no sense

I think when they cut up a Gehrig jersey (i.e.) into tiny squares, they are ruining important historical items. It should be illegal >>

I agree that they should not cut up jerseys...

Do I love the card? Sure! Would I prefer they didn't cut it? Sure! Me buying this card is not going to make a difference. The card is already cut up and there not going to stop cutting jerseys just because I don't buy any.

I also think that don't need the entire elephant, but instead you want the tusk. Does it kill me to see elephants killed for their tusk? Sure! Would I mind owening a tusk? Sure!

I think if they are going to cut up jerseys, that they at least limit the amount the can do, to just one or two jerseys tops. I donnot even agree with cutting one up, but of course their going to do it anyway, so at least is should be very limited, not to keep going and cut up many jerseys.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    It's not just jerseys
    It's old game used bats, etc - really good, historical memorabilia that has been ruined over the past several years so they can put a worthless sliver in a card
    A "piece" of game used bat or jersey is worthless. Once it's cut up there is no more value. It's like cutting up a $100 bill - whole it has value, cut up it has none

I don't have a problem with modern patches. Athletes today cycle through jerseys to sell to card companies.
    But that old stuff, it's a shame to see it in cards
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

In the clearing stands a boxer...

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

That is one nice lookin 5!!
  • Options
    Got this yesterday for my type set...

Tom

• Options
    Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by 'type set?'
    Thanks.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options

<< <i>Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by 'type set?'
    Thanks. >>

I'm pretty new at this facet of collecting, so I'll try to answer your question the best that I can.

A true "type set" collector is someone who tries to pick up one example from each set ever made.

In most cases, a type set is narrowed down to whatever parameters a collector decides on - which leads to an infinite number of type sets than can be built. For example, you can choose to collect only HOFers; or you can pick up one OPC card from each year. A master player set would be another form of type collecting.

In my case, I am going to try and pick up one Chicago White Sox card from as many different pre war sets as I can find.

Hope that this helps to answer your question!
    Tom

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skinny Bert Keyes is ready to rumble...
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    A few newer items: Lou.

Baby Ruth chewing gum from late 20;s.The Babe didn;t get any procedes from this and it pissed him off!I think factory that made this burnt down in 1930.

from the 30's,ball,strike out counter & a Pirate visor

Green weenie & original mold from late 60;s Pirates.Shake the green weenie at a player and they would play bad!

Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options
    Hard to top the Green Weenie - that's a nice item Lou!

This arrived today...a 1937 Goudey Thum Movies booklet (R342).

imageimage
    Tom

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    My best 62 Posts ever and it one of the short prints!

It'll be headed to PSA shortly...

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see this thread the first time I posted, so I will put the card where it belongs.
    Tim Lincecum poppage
  • Options
    Sorry for the double post (no pun intended!)
  • Options
    and the triple post :-)

Weird, none of these showed up when I first posted them, looks like they all eventually went though.
  • Options

<< <i>Baby Ruth chewing gum from late 20;s.The Babe didn;t get any procedes from this and it pissed him off!I think factory that made this burnt down in 1930. >>

Very cool stuff ya picked up!

I've never heard of Baby Ruth gum.

It was produced around the same time as the candy bar - tho many think that the product was the namesake of the Bambino, it was actually named after President Grover Cleveland's daughter - Ruth. This is my understanding.

Very nice pickups.
    mike

Mike
  • Options
    Also - nice cards guys!

I always enjoy the cards you pick up.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    love the 71 Munson. one of the classics! very nice card.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    that is one ggod looking munson
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

An upgrade for my raw T25 Actors set (issued circa 1910)... Showing it off here because it's actually somewhat sports related. From Hopper's Wikipedia page...

"A lifelong baseball enthusiast and New York Giants fan, he first performed Ernest Thayer's then-unknown poem Casey at the Bat to the Giants and Chicago Cubs the day his friend, Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Tim Keefe had his record 19 game winning streak stopped, August 14, 1888. Hopper helped make the comic poem famous and was often called upon to give his colorful, melodramatic recitation, which he did about 10,000 times in his booming voice, reciting it during performances and as part of curtain calls, and on radio. He released a recorded version in 1906."

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Been looking for a centered Gretzky RC for quite a while. Finally found one. Not a huge fan of fish eyes, but love the centering on this one.