Home Precious Metals
Options

GOLD AND SILVER WORLD NEWS, ECONOMIC PREDICTIONS

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not lose your sense of humor or your belief in a better future.

The best advice of all, Bear.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know why at the junction of new pages the last few posts are slow to appear even though they show up on the index page?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    it takes a lot to turn this page.....

edit and i did it...

• Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know why at the junction of new pages the last few posts are slow to appear even though they show up on the index page?

roadrunner >>

No clue, but I have also noticed it!
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone know why at the junction of new pages the last few posts are slow to appear even though they show up on the index page?

roadrunner >>

No clue, but I have also noticed it! >>

It's been that way for a long time.

This thread is one big heavy chunk of storage space.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options

WOW What is happening in China? Have consumers around the world pulled back this much?

Financially troubled plants are being abandoned by the boss, leaving behind unpaid workers and debts.
    LA Times
    By Don Lee
    November 3, 2008

Reporting from Shaoxing, China -- First, Tao Shoulong burned his company's financial books. He then sold his private golf club memberships and disposed of his Mercedes S-600 sedan. And then he was gone.

And just like that, China's biggest textile dye operation -- with four factories, a campus the size of 31 football fields, 4,000 workers and debts of at least $200 million -- was history.

"We're pretty much dead now," said Mao Youming, one of 300 suppliers stiffed last month by Tao's company, Jianglong Group. Lighting a cigarette in a coffee shop here, the 38-year-old spoke calmly about the bleak future of his industrial gas business. Tao owed him $850,000, Mao said, about 60% of his annual revenue. "We cannot pay our workers' salaries. We are about to be bankrupt too."

Government statistics show that 67,000 factories of various sizes were shuttered in China in the first half of the year, said Cao Jianhai, an industrial economics researcher at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. By year's end, he said, more than 100,000 plants will have closed.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds alot like the US.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

roadrunner >>

This thread is one big heavy chunk of storage space. >>

i am just thinking out loud if it would be possible to achive part of this so there would be faster page turning ?
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

roadrunner >>

This thread is one big heavy chunk of storage space. >>

i am just thinking out loud if it would be possible to achive part of this so there would be faster page turning ? >>

Noooooo! This is the largest and longest thread on the CU forum.

This is the thread that created the Precious Metals Forum.

Something about posterity, I'd like to leave it just like it is and let it grow.

We should hit 10,000 early next year!!
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options
    If the new posts don't show, you can go to your browser's address bar and change the number at the end by adding one (for example, if it says "STARTPAGE=456", change the 456 to 457 and click the "go to" button.
  • Options

<< <i>If the new posts don't show, you can go to your browser's address bar and change the number at the end by adding one (for example, if it says "STARTPAGE=456", change the 456 to 457 and click the "go to" button. >>

Never fails!

Somebody is always thinking.......image
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Princess, I've come to see you on an important matter regarding the Naysayers.

Yes, General C, I know about them but I'm concerned that they have never been a problem before and all of the sudden our banks are defaulting, our citizens are poor, and the Naysayers are living high on the hog. I want you to gather the New Buffs and conduct a scouting party into their bivouac. Let me know when you have assembled your troups and I'll wave them on. That is all, thank you for your visit.
  • Options

<< <i>If the new posts don't show, you can go to your browser's address bar and change the number at the end by adding one (for example, if it says "STARTPAGE=456", change the 456 to 457 and click the "go to" button. >>

thanks...that i can do...

yes DH, that archive idea wasn't the best
  • Options

<< <i>SILVER PRODUCTION FALLS BY 70% >>

I've read similar articles in other places.

We live in interesting times.

But, of course there's no shortage. image
  • Options
    Not only is there no shortage, there is no cartel and no conspiracy to see gold and silver go lower. In fact it is the wishes of our govt and all our market representatives (Treasury, FED, SEC, banks, president-elect, etc.) to always see a fair and equitable trading market maintained for all people. This is especially true for the US dollar and gold. The powers to be have no problem with letting the chips fall fairly as they may. That's what free markets are all about, fair & honest competition with integrity and the same opportunity for J6P to succeed as a Hank Paulsen or Rich Fuld.

Don't look now but it appears that the USDX just completed a double top formation prior to crashing today. Maybe the PPT was out campaigning today rather than watching the markets?

On my local shop scene, no gold to be had except a couple of badly spotted or fugly MS63 saints. He was cleaned out of the dozens of slabbed gold coins he had on my last visit. In fact, the entire shop looked cleaned out of anything decent in any numismatic coin. If you wanted MS63-65 Morgans or Walkers he had those. But Choice PF/MS type coins? Totally decimated from my last time there. And typically most of those sit until I eventually show up. He did have a cool looking 1000 oz bar and a couple 100's but I didn't ask prices knowing I couldn't pay the premium anyways.

From ttown's link above from Rob Kirby:

Interestingly, Mr. Casey did not get it all wrong (ie deflation and the gold price). Physical bullion prices have done EXACTLY as he predicted, having decoupled “soared” relative to futures and equity proxies of the same in recent weeks and months. It is the decoupling of physical bullion prices from futures prices that is the strongest evidence, to date, that futures markets are not serving their intended uses of price discovery and instead have become vehicles of price determination / suppression. .

roadrunner
  • Options
    News from the front:

Not looking for cheapest discussion, just feed back from the great ocean...age's locally available at spot+99 buffs at spot+119. That is all, please continue with your regularly scheduled programming.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    this thread gets a lot less activity and attention since it was moved to this forum
  • Options

<< <i>this thread gets a lot less activity and attention since it was moved to this forum >>

there is just an ability for ancillary items and maybe more urgent items that are posted
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

>>

There are several theories. My favorite is that when two posts are
    put in too closely together the software adds only one to the post
    count. Since the additional post is invisible to it then it becomes a
    "remainder" and throws off the page numbers.

This is a common problem with threads which are very active since
    they are more likely to have simultaneous posts and it tend to get
    worse as the thread gets longer. This one is off three posts now.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

There are several theories. My favorite is that when two posts are
    put in too closely together the software adds only one to the post
    count. Since the additional post is invisible to it then it becomes a
    "remainder" and throws off the page numbers.

This is a common problem with threads which are very active since
    they are more likely to have simultaneous posts and it tend to get
    worse as the thread gets longer. This one is off three posts now. >>

cladking go back a page or two for a solution...have a good oneimage
  • Options

<< <i>News from the front:

Not looking for cheapest discussion, just feed back from the great ocean...age's locally available at spot+99 buffs at spot+119. That is all, please continue with your regularly scheduled programming. >>

That sounds about right.

My fav shop got in 500 '08 AGEs last week and all sold for between $110 to $125 premiums and they were gone in a few hours.

Buffs are virtually impossible to find and I'd never pay any additional premum for them over Gold Eagles.
  • Options

Where do these guys come from?
    Anti-bug article
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where do these guys come from?
    Anti-bug article >>

Oh that's funnyimage The guy asked a question about buying physical and the answer was using facts from what paper gold did this year. He needs to get out more he maybe surprised that getting over a grand for any common $20 gold piece is here and now. He should have been using his skills to give real world stats on what the physical PM's have done and not the COMEX stats where the loss hass occured.
  • Options

<< <i>Investors Running Out Of Places To Hide >>

Ttown, you're just a bundle of joy this morning. image

I noticed those CD rates on that link, awful.

My credit union is paying 5.24% on 9 month CDs right now.

1K minimum up to whatever your limit is. Seems to be a large disparity.

Still, that's not enough to entice me. Maybe if I had an extra Mil lying around............ image
  • Options
    Sorry Deadhorse

Many of these MM have dropped below a dollars so I'm staying in treasuries. Since you really can't tell what these different MM's are holding I'm trying to play it as safe as one can. I sure don't want a few percentage points more just to take the risk of those funds holding commercial paper and another Enron happens to companies. Would you want a GM in the mix just to make a little more. I do agree if it's backed by the FDIC then that's as good as it gets.

My big stash is in my 401k so I have limited options like many of us.
  • Options

<< <i>

Anti-bug article >>

Oh that's funnyimage The guy asked a question about buying physical and the answer was using facts from what paper gold did this year. He needs to get out more he maybe surprised that getting over a grand for any common $20 gold piece is here and now. He should have been using his skills to give real world stats on what the physical PM's have done and not the COMEX stats where the loss hass occured. >>

Consider the source, it is CNN after all.

That guy shouldn't be giving out advice on something he clearly has no understanding of, but then he can't be held liable.

The sad part is that he is drawing a salary for this uneducated drivel.
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry Deadhorse

Many of these MM have dropped below a dollars so I'm staying in treasuries. Since you really can't tell what these different MM's are holding I'm trying to play it as safe as one can. I sure don't want a few percentage points more just to take the risk of those funds holding commercial paper and another Enron happens to companies. Would you want a GM in the mix just to make a little more. I do agree if it's backed by the FDIC then that's as good as it gets.

My big stash is in my 401k so I have limited options like many of us. >>

Oh, I understand. However Credit Unions are a bit different in the way they do things.

FDIC banks fail all the time and many more are coming. It's quite rare to see a Credit Union fail.

Actually, I can't recall one failing in my memory, though I'm sure it's happened.

I was just surprised at the differential between FDIC CD rates and NCUA CD rates.
  • Options
    I just copied and pasted my comment to his piece.

Oh that's funny The guy asked a question about buying physical and the answer was using facts from what paper gold did this year. He needs to get out more he maybe surprised that getting over a grand for any common $20 gold piece is here and now. He should have been using his skills to give real world stats on what the physical PM's have done and not the COMEX stats where the loss hass occured.

Let's see if it gets posted since it says not all comments will be posted.
  • Options
    my credit union told me last week 5 credit union fail every week
    i guess i was surprised so any thing can goes under
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Anti-bug article >>

Oh that's funnyimage The guy asked a question about buying physical and the answer was using facts from what paper gold did this year. He needs to get out more he maybe surprised that getting over a grand for any common $20 gold piece is here and now. He should have been using his skills to give real world stats on what the physical PM's have done and not the COMEX stats where the loss hass occured. >>

ttown the real price is spot price, I am not sure why you feel it isn't. Also that is more of the price for raw gold and silver, not old gold coins so to compare the two is really not fair.

Take a look at this,

gold spot price $731.50

silver spot price $10.03

400 ounce gold bar purchase price today $294,800.00 $737 per ounce cost
    Silver Bar 1000 oz purchase price today $10,330.00 $10.33 per ounce cost

People that buy in bulk get the lowest prices, that only seems normal. Just because people pay up for old gold coins or silver eagles doesn't mean everyone in the world is doing that. Anyway gold and silver have dropped like stocks, I don't think that is in question.

BTW if you turn around and sell those bars they will buy them back at very close to spot so spot is an accurate price within a percentage or so.

• Options
    What the gold-bug article author fails to understand is that the gold price volatility is quite normal, just as the Dow and S&P is these days. These are volatile times. Learn to live with it because massive injections of money along with massive disappearances of assets will continue. The value of the dollar has been volatile both up and down in the past year, only getting worse. The author also totally misses the point that gold is up 3X since 2001 while stocks are down 40%. If you toss in the inflation factor, stocks are down much more than 40%. Priced in gold, the stock market is down 75% since 2001, not a particularly great place to "preserve" one's wealth.

Financial analyst Reggie Middleton who has been expertly dissecting the balance sheets of the major banks for the past 18 months (and none of it was good) says that besides the 117 banks on the FDIC's "short" list of potential failures, there are nearly another 1500 smaller banks on the "possible to probable" failure list.

Interesting to see gold and silver both follow the typical PPT 10 am "fishing line" takedown rule today as has been the norm for days/weeks now. I suspect that another day of DOW caving and gold rising simply could not be tolerated so soon following the election results. So they took down gold early and pumped the dollar. The PPT was not going to stand for having the potential to lock in the worst 3 days of stock results following an election in 100 years. And then the insult of having gold strengthen at the same time....no way! The PPT has Friday left to bail themselves out. I think they will succeed this time.

While 1000 oz silver bars are the cheapest means to buy silver at the moment, their utilitary value is rather low. Basically the bar is not divisible into smaller units and would have the same problems as trying to use a $10,000 FRN note (imagine for instructive purposes that still existed today as it did in the 1920's) to your local merchants. They can't make change for $10,000. If one ever intends to go shopping with their silver or gold, they need smaller units besides 400 oz or 1000 oz trading bars. Hence the premium attached to 90% silver coin and 1 oz rounds.

roadrunner
  • Options

<< <i>What the gold-bug article author fails to understand is that the gold price volatility is quite normal, just as the Dow and S&P is these days. These are volatile times. Learn to live with it because massive injections of money along with massive disappearances of assets will continue. The value of the dollar has been volatile both up and down in the past year, only getting worse. The author also totally misses the point that gold is up 3X since 2001 while stocks are down 40%. If you toss in the inflation factor, stocks are down much more than 40%. Priced in gold, the stock market is down 75% since 2001, not a particularly great place to "preserve" one's wealth.

Financial analyst Reggie Middleton who has been expertly dissecting the balance sheets of the major banks for the past 18 months (and none of it was good) says that besides the 117 banks on the FDIC's "short" list of potential failures, there are nearly another 1500 smaller banks on the "possible to probable" failure list.

Interesting to see gold and silver both follow the typical PPT 10 am "fishing line" takedown rule today as has been the norm for days/weeks now. I suspect that another day of DOW caving and gold rising simply could not be tolerated so soon following the election results. So they took down gold early and pumped the dollar. The PPT was not going to stand for having the potential to lock in the worst 3 days of stock results following an election in 100 years. And then the insult of having gold strengthen at the same time....no way! The PPT has Friday left to bail themselves out. I think they will succeed this time.

roadrunner >>

Yep, just like clockwork. I watched that 10AM takedown today minute by minute.

Funny how that seems happen with such regularity, it defies any normal scenarios in a free market.

• Options
    roadrunner I think if you look back at a chart you will see for those people that bought gold at the peak in December of 1987 they had to wait 18 years just for gold to break even.

Gold today may be on the start of a downslide that lasts for a very long time. I hope not but it seems gold has done nothing but go up since 2000 until now. Eventually that has to end and it appears it has.
  • Options
    I have been been away for surgery and I find a lot of this info very confusing.
    Are PM board members really paying up to $4-5 over spot for silver and huge sums over spot for gold??
    Maybe its the drugs...but I guess I do not understand image
    Thanks
    Connecting a Windows PC to the Internet is like dressing in hundred-dollar bills and taking a walk in a bad neighborhood.
  • Options
    double post...sorry
    Connecting a Windows PC to the Internet is like dressing in hundred-dollar bills and taking a walk in a bad neighborhood.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    ronjr, some of the guys here already have a large hoard and were able to get it back in the day when it was cheaper.

There are some new pm guys like myself who just try to find some at affordable prices. Yes I have had to pay 4 over spot for some silver but I try self restraint right now.

Some guys have been lucky with 2 over spot which isn't bad.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    roadrunner I think if you look back at a chart you will see for those people that bought gold at the peak in December of 1987 they had to wait 18 years just for gold to break even.

Gold today may be on the start of a downslide that lasts for a very long time. I hope not but it seems gold has done nothing but go up since 2000 until now. Eventually that has to end and it appears it has.

I'm not a believer in the 20, 30 or 50 year arguments for gold. To compare the previous 7 years with gold to the last 30 years makes no sense...apples vs. oranges. If you like toss in the 20-25 year cycles that it took stocks to bet back to even: 1929-1954, 1966-1987, 2001-XXXX). By that comparison stocks stink, and are staged to stink it up for another 10-17 years. Your argument, not mine. How about the people that bought coins at the peaks in 1980 and 1990? I'm more concerned more about the people such as myself that got into gold from 1999-2004 when it was much lower than today. Having never bought gold at any all time peaks, I have no comment on that.

Based on your argument (if you check the charts), gold was finished in 1975-1976 when it corrected 50%. Now that's a real hit. Some here have stated that a 30% drop is a sure sign of a dead bull market. It obviously didn't kill gold in 1976 as it went up 700% in 3-1/2 years. So I'm not ready to toss in the towel on this bull market especially with all the games that are played.

roadrunner
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    The 50% decline in gold in 1975-1976 that Roadrunner is referring to is very instructive. Check out the Kitco historical charts. Interesting stuff.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>

I'm not a believer in the 20, 30 or 50 year arguments for gold. If you like toss in the 20-25 year cycles that it took stocks to bet back to even: 1929-1954, 1966-1987, 2001-XXXX). By that comparison stocks stink, and are staged to stink it up for another 10-17 years. Your argument, not mine. How about the people that bought coins at the peaks in 1980 and 1990? I'm more concerned more about the people such as myself that got into gold from 1999-2004 when it was much lower than today. Having never bought gold at any all time peaks, I have no comment on that.

Based on your argument (if you check the charts), gold was finished in 1975-1976 when it corrected 50%. Now that's a real whack. So I'm not ready to toss in the towel on this bull market.

roadrunner >>

I haven't really stated how I feel the stock market will perform over the next decade, it could be stocks stay in a long trading range for the next decade and don't break to new highs, so that is a possibility. However I don't see how gold is still in a Bull market when commodities have been crushed and gold has dropped 35% from the peak.

Looking at the long-term chart of gold it appears gold went from a very undervalued state in 1968 to very over-valued by 1980-81, only to take twenty years to finally bottom. Even by your example of 1975-1976 from peak to trough it lasted a year and a half. So for gold today if it followed that example it still has another year to fall before finally hitting bottom.

Really this last run in gold is very similar to the percentage gain of the 80's so it seems that it might be a warning is all. I hope not as I own some gold but at this point as to investment the best one right now might be cash over gold or stocks.

• Options
    Hey, TT, I saw your comment in the comments section of the gold article from cnn money. Good Job!!! Simply stated and easy to understand. I think you should have added "Who is this fool?" but since it's a public forum, some decorum is appropriate.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭

is this nonsense? -- pay close attention to paragraph 3 of section I; and last paragraph of Section II.

http://www.carolinajournal.com/articles/display_story.html?id=5081

P.S. My local BM is charging over 50 cents OVER SPOT each for worn silver dimes.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    I saw that article before the election. Not sure why McCain didn't hammer the issue, but he failed to raise a lot of even bigger arguments. MSM obviously didn't even pick it up. Yet another reason to keep away from assets that are so easily "nationalized" as they've already done in Argentina.

Most absurd statement by the sponsors - "Another justification for Ghilarducci’s plan is to eliminate investment risk." - And they propose to do that by forcing people to "invest" government debt. RIDICULOUS. imageimageimageimage
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
This discussion has been closed.