Home Precious Metals

GOLD AND SILVER WORLD NEWS, ECONOMIC PREDICTIONS

Comments

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold at Fort Knox and the other depositories is mostly
    owned by other Nations. This is because it is too expensive and
    difficult to keep shipping the stuff around

It's not that it's difficult to ship gold around or deliver it. The real reason is that the US govt has no intention of letting the sheeple know that their gold has been leased/sold off only to give creedance to the continuing fall of the paper economy. What is stored in Fort Knox probably belongs to the rest of the world. It's still on our "books" though even if we don't own it.

Sinclair has been talking about a new gold certificate ratio for several years. Considering that the real power brokers want the gold, the oil, and the cash as well, this makes sense. He believes those behind the Barricks of the world have been quietly accumulating gold and now gold companies for years (oil as well). Frankly, he's called the gold, US dollar, and derivatives markets turn for turn over the past 6 years. If anyone has an understanding of what lies in store for gold and the USD, he does. What's interesting is that he feels gold will maintain most of its value following an all-time peak in the $1650+ range. So those thinking that gold will peak and then evaporate as it did in 1980 may have to rethink this.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Just a bump to the top for the newbies who may not be aware of this thread.

This is the real precious metals thread.

Caution - It will require some serious thinking to participate, but it sure beats the mindless thread starting on the volatile PM prices.

At a running time frame of 4 years and nearly 3 months, it may likely be the longest ever on this forum, both in terms of longevity and total posts.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff

• One can say what one will about the huge amount of money we have spent on the military over the last several decades, BUT one must admit our boys really have this down, and those guys in other countries that want to do us in, should be very afraid!

“U.S. officials said the satellite and the kill vehicle space vehicle collided at a combined speed of 22,000 mph about 130 miles above Earth's surface, and that the collision was confirmed at a space operations center at 10:50 p.m. EST.”
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One can say what one will about the huge amount of money we have spent on the military over the last several decades, BUT one must admit our boys really have this down, and those guys in other countries that want to do us in, should be very afraid!

One of the best comments in this thread, and there have been many.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One can say what one will about the huge amount of money we have spent on the military over the last several decades, BUT one must admit our boys really have this down, and those guys in other countries that want to do us in, should be very afraid!

“U.S. officials said the satellite and the kill vehicle space vehicle collided at a combined speed of 22,000 mph about 130 miles above Earth's surface, and that the collision was confirmed at a space operations center at 10:50 p.m. EST.” >>

last year china shot down a sat and it was in a higher orbit. people complained about the garbage
    that shall sit up their for years and years to come.

we just shot one down from a much lower decayed orbit.

also take note we shot down a sat in 1985. difference this time is the missile was released from
    the ground.
  • This is the real precious metals thread.

Caution - It will require some serious thinking to participate, but it sure beats the mindless thread starting on the volatile PM prices.

• mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "also take note we shot down a sat in 1985" True, but we have new toys now and we surely have to try them out.

Besides, that was a DOD sat. and it had stuff in it that we didn't particularly want to share so it had to be gone. If I recall the story correctly, it never even worked. The DOD can put one of those motor scooter missles in your back pocket from 5,000 miles away and it's not even special delivery...just regular mail.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    satellites are being shot down but Palladium is sky rocketting!!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    re the satellite shoot down:

Anyone remember in the 80's when Reagan had the miltary shoot down a sea launched missle with a sea launched missle? Well, turns out, that was fake. They each had homing devices on the other and remote detonators.

Why do I get that feeling with this? Makes us look high and mighty in the eyes of the world. Is it me?
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One reason for the supposed disconnect and loss of leverage between gold stocks and bullion. Rob Kirby did some digging and came up with some heavy COT "putting" back in June-August of 2007 that preceded the first sniffs of the sub-prime mess and a subsequent drop in the S&P. Certainly TPTB couldn't have gold stocks sky-rocketing in August while the stocks indicies crashed. They had this set up months in advance. Thanks Goldman and Co. However TPTB couldn't keep the physical bullion down.

Gold deriviatives games

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    Why do I get that feeling with this? Makes us look high and mighty in the eyes of the world. Is it me?

um. we are putting remote control robots on the surface of mars
    and you cannot think we can shoot down a lousy sat?

read up on tech please. or maybe you think we did not land a man on
    the moon either?!?

;-)
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    My calculus teacher at De Anza college a few years ago worked full time at Lockheed while teaching evening classes. His specific role was in the guidance systems for missiles. He used real life examples in class. I am quite sure the technology is there and a very high probability it will hit the satellite.
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    TTT to see the non-visible post
    trozau (troy ounce gold)

• << <i>“U.S. officials said the satellite and the kill vehicle space vehicle collided at a combined speed of 22,000 mph about 130 miles above Earth's surface, and that the collision was confirmed at a space operations center at 10:50 p.m. EST.” >>

We've been doing this clandestinely for over a decade. This was child's play.

We could have used a charged particle beam and vaporized it, but that would give away multi year old secrets.

Yes, we do have, for lack of a better term, phasers.

They talked about all that hydrazine and how dangerous it was, hey, when the Shuttle broke up over North Texas, it contained hundreds of times the hydrazine this satellite did. Funny how there was never any mention of that.

This was a staged event. Make no mistake.

"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe you think we did not land a man on
    the moon either?!?

Hey, I remember that night. I was at a bachelor party! It was the first time I'd ever seen someone "shoot" a beer.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    here is more "negative feedback loop" trivia

possibly for the first time.....at least as records show...

home foreclosures in California exceeded home sales in January

(San Jose Mercury 02/23/2008)

most of these were new developements that were purchased by middle class buyers with less then 10% down. all of them are upside down.

bond insurers will be next IMHO....city bonds, etc....

tsunami a comin'.....says NY's governor.....

"city bonds, etc....
    tsunami a comin'.....says NY's governor"

Yes, cited earlier in this thread (late last year). As foreclosed homes begin to float to the surface and city property taxes either don't get paid or are significantly reduced because of falling property values, then the cities have significantly reduced income for the city budget. Something has to give so this is the beginning of a new paradigm about what city services are really a priority. Is infrastructure expansion, maintenance, and repair the top priority or is it health care and hospital district issues (ME, Forensics, ER's, etc.) or is it public safety, sports fields/parks; what is going to get cut? Where are we going to put the money when the demands for public services increase in an environment where there is less wherewithall to meet those demands?

Alternatively, municipalities can raise taxes, increase "user fees", have special assessments, something to get more money from the citizens that have some. Cities can tap into towing fee fees, ambulance run fees, greens fees, building permit fees, water tap fees, and a multitude of other service fees of every color and type to help get the money in to the city budget income column. We will get a glimpse of the new age morality and social priorities that this new era portends. We should be able to watch some of the harder hit areas of the US to see what the cities do, how the people want it to play. The next evidence will come over the next few years when new city council members get elected on platforms that reflect the new public vision of the deployment of city services. It's a new age acomin' and it's knockin' on the door.

Philosophically, we have to revisit a continuing topic of discussion in this thread...What about entitlements? And the companion quesiton: What is the public responsibility for private welfare? We should begin to get a glimpse of how the public mindset will respond to these questions when the money is actually on the table...or actually, much less money is on the table. The forces of socialized public services such as medical care, housing, education are going to be confronted with the harsh reality of fewer buks to spend on your "moral obligations". People will say one thing or another when you are just discussing things but when you reach for their wallet, then you find out what they really believe.

Edited for punctuation...

Story this week
    This could turn out VERY VERY badly for the world, not just the USA. There is no way in Hell that the average Brit can afford a $343,000 house, and what will happen when those that bought recently find themselves underwater. I think we know that answer. This is playing out in New Zealand also, and will be spreading to Germany and Australia very soon. Be prepared for tremendous global real estate deflation, as it is unaffordable across the globe. Interest rates globally will have to come crashing down. Inflation could spike dramatically higher, at least until the world realizes that global economies will come to a screeching halt.

What makes me even more nervous is that the mainstream media is nowhere on this story.

UK home prices fall.

David Walker, longtime head of the GAO is stepping down. He's been on a "wake-up" tour, but I didn't know that he was leaving. He's been saying that the U.S. cannot continue on its current fiscal course.

I knew it would happen.
    more like fiscal discourse....

it's more than sub-prime.....now

new homeowners or the 5% and less buyers are upside down and paying their mortgages...can't refi with more "normal" appraisals....some will pay others will walk.

i just pray that the governments here and abroad do NOT get into a full blown bail-out.

i have paid for my own mistakes and so should anyone else.

a city here in CA is debating filing for bankruptcy..... 911 services would go to an answering machine, or staffed by volunteers.....yet the city administration still gets salaries and benefits...
  • IMF is selling gold or so it is reported
    looks like gold is holding it's own
    if imf fails to stop golds up move then what is this a turning point on the pricing of gold ?
    any input or thoughts
  • Everything will balance out in the end...Tkis is the new world order...what happens here happens there...for the world to continue turning it will have to balance out....The world has seen bad days and years and it is going to see them again and things will balance themselves out....just don't buy things you don't need...buy food and things that you do need and let junk go...That is what the American people need to learn to do is that they do not need every New gadget that comes to market...or $200 pair of shoes...go back to the basics and things will turn out ok...all that really matter is food and shelter, you have these two you got it beat!
  • Dlimb2
    i have and i 'am
    what are you saying make your point
    is this a line in the sand for the Imf or what
  • Wayne, it is the line in the sand for the IMF and all financial institutions as we know them..new laws and new regulations will have to be written...until the balance comes into play there may be a few days of none shopping and bank handouts...what really needs to be done is stop the damn handouts by the US governemtn to Foreign countries....now that would set the New World Order back on track!!!!! Our Government has funded and given to foreign lands but somehow forgotten its own...Just look at New Orleans...it is still a disaster...what more can I say...I never see anyone coming to our aid...do you!
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This could turn out VERY VERY badly for the world, not just the USA. There is no way in Hell that the average Brit can afford a $343,000 house, and what will happen when those that bought recently find themselves underwater. I think we know that answer. This is playing out in New Zealand also, and will be spreading to Germany and Australia very soon. Be prepared for tremendous global real estate deflation, as it is unaffordable across the globe. Interest rates globally will have to come crashing down. Inflation could spike dramatically higher, at least until the world realizes that global economies will come to a screeching halt.

What makes me even more nervous is that the mainstream media is nowhere on this story.

UK home prices fall. >>

Mike Shedlock's blog has been writing about this for months. We are headed for some difficult times.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Will we see a big correction because of this?

G7 approves IMF gold sales from April to raise resources

I'm so sure that prices will collapse I'm imploring everyone here to get out now! Save yourselves and your families! Send me your gold and I'll pay you lots and lots of those valuable federal reserve notes which is really what you want....isn't it? image
  • Dlimb2
    thank you
    a midwest thing i hate to waste words i like to get to the point
    spell it out man [no insult ment to you]
    god would g grandpa hate that
    thank you
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This could turn out VERY VERY badly for the world, not just the USA. There is no way in Hell that the average Brit can afford a $343,000 house, and what will happen when those that bought recently find themselves underwater.

UK home prices fall. >>

What's the median income in england?
  • IMP The Banks should loose there butts, but we know thats not going to happen. We will bail them out .Tax payers.
    They won't loose a thing.
    People are making less at a job that their dad had 15 years ago.
    More jobs over seas. I sat in a meeting years ago. Where they wanted to stop all manufacturing here in the states!
    I could see half, but all!
    Banks should have not payed 120% of what a house was thought to be valued at. For one thing.
    Boy could i go on about this.
    WE got sold out.
    Never give up the hunt!
    25 inf 1/14 Gold Dragons ,never surrender, over come and adapt
    and hold at all cost!
  • Whatafind
    i supose i can't ask what you do or did
    but if i can what was it ???
    that you were in that meeting
  • What would happen if we were to experience an earthquake tomorrow on the scale of a 9.2 somewhere here in the United States...many of us are sitting on active faults which are long over due...what if we experienced a quake on the Mississippi River like the quake of 1812...would there be anyone to survive from Arkansas to Wisconsin! What about starting over...oh man, one more wipe out and Hello new world! Talk about parting the seas...You that don't know of the quake of 1812 look it up...scarry!
  • Bump To Read
  • Can anyone Explain Exxon Moble's HUGE profits!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if a company can make profits like that, SHOOT the United States could be in the black by next year!!!!! I bet they get big tax breaks toooooo, whatya say! Think any government Officials put any of that into their pockets...naaaa they wouldn't do a thing like that...course not!
  • Ok
    What in the World are you talking about Dlimb2
    harry potter stuff ???
    did you read this in the news no
    have you look at the world today Iraq or us Debt ring a bell
    bud
    put down harry and look around better yet read your 401 statment this quarter
    keep up buddy
  • Exon did 43 or 48
    billion last quater
    have you seen the us debt
    that is with a t not b
    dream on
  • Wayne, look man you have to stay focussed....disasters cost money....Wars cost money....so which one can you eliminate....Oil companies make money right!....Say if you had 12 Companies at least as profitable as Exxon next year after the new Pres is in office we could be blacklinning it...Just think how Exxon does it and repeat 12 times and get the Hell outa Iraq! Do we need the Middle East to exist! You may think so but I do not! Do we need the poison they call Food From China...now we have plenty of Corn Fields right here...we even have oil...do you blieve it!!!! But some work has to be done...but ya know what, it could be done if someone wanted to do something about it! Yes I have looked at my 401K and it is sad, but you know what I have to belive in America because it is all I have. I have to believe that one day my 401K will look quite nice...I have to believe in America because I am an American and I believe in self preservation!
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Wayne,well said indeed.image

A Nation that is not self reliant

is a Nation at serious risk.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

• << <i>disasters cost money....Wars cost money....so which one can you eliminate.... >>

Disasters are called acts of God for a reason, they are out of our hands.

Now here's the dirty little secret........... wars are good for the economy. Yes, it's true.

All you ever hear about is how much the Middle East foray costs the US taxpayer.

Nothing could be further from the truth. US taxpayers have their money sent to the Federal Reserve, which does nothing to contribute to our betterment, nor is it spent on the Middle East.

You never hear about how much US industry and it's workers earn building/making the tools of war. That trickles down into our economy at all levels.

War is always good for our economy, always has been. FDR knew that, as President for life, he did everything he could to get us involved in WWII, despite the vast majority of US citizens who were against it. Pearl Harbor.......... 9/11........ You could even include the USS Maine and the Gulf of Tonkin incident as similar events.

Those who pull the strings can determine what the loss of life is versus the economic gains.

The war in Iraq has been the safest for US Soldiers in our history by a large measure. Better yet, we are winning.

The American people can easily put up with wars, as long as we are winning. It's when things aren't going so well that the US public begins getting disgruntled about wars.

Anyone who thinks the US isn't going to have a continued military presence in the Middle East is fooling themselves.

The "get out of the Middle East" crowd is in for a long wait. I doubt they will ever live to see it.

We're still in Germany and Japan and that was victoriously over some 62+ years ago.

Very few of our most senior posters were even born back then. Even if they were, they were children.
    I posted this in another thread, but because of its importance, I thought it wise to show it here....

price of Gold:Silver historical info

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

Also this.........

Performance of different assets over the past 2 Months:

21 Dec 2007 22 Feb 2008 Change

1. Palladium 360.0 517.0 +43.6%
    2. Platinum 1,535 2,165 +41.0%
    3. Silver 14.46 18.12 +25.3%
    4. Copper 6,724 8,342 +24.1%
    5. Lead 2,614 3,244 +24.1%
    6. Coffee 132.98 161.35 +21.3%
    7. Aluminium 2,366 2,860 +20.9%
    8. Corn 438.5 528.7 +20.6%
    9. Soya Beans 1187 1429 +20.4%
    10. Sugar 13.22 15.78 +19.4%
    11. Gold 815.2 948.1 +16.3%
    12. XAU Gold Share Index 168.0 189.9 +13.0%
    13. Wheat 949 1057 +11.4%
    14. Nickel 26450 28400 + 7.3%
    15. Tin 16272 17407 + 7.0%
    16. Australian Dollar .8649 .9232 + 6.7%
    17. Yen 114.02 107.2 + 6.3%
    18. Crude Oil (WTI) 93.26 98.96 + 6.1%
    19. Euro 1.4384 1.4820 +3.0%
    20. US 10 Yr Treasury Bonds 114.31 116.08 1.5%
    21. Cattle 95.52 93.88 -1.7%
    22. Dow Jones Industrials 13450 12381 - 7.9%
    23. S&P 500 Index 1498 1355 - 9.5%
    24. FTSE 100 Index 6464 5852 -9.5%
    25. Australian All Ords. Index 6309 5644 -10.5%
    26. Nikkei Japanese Share Index 15257 13500 -11.5%
    27. Shanghai A Share Index 5353 4585 -14.4%
    28. Nasdaq 2691 2303 -14.4%
    29. Hang Seng Index 27626 23305 -15.6%

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Let's cut interest more, after all there's no inflation...image

Under Control?

<< <i>Can anyone Explain Exxon Moble's HUGE profits!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if a company can make profits like that, SHOOT the United States could be in the black by next year!!!!! I bet they get big tax breaks toooooo, whatya say! Think any government Officials put any of that into their pockets...naaaa they wouldn't do a thing like that...course not! >>

XOM sells a commodity that has appreciated greatly in price. Thats all.

No one ever complains about the 90% margins that MSFT enjoys. Why dont they sell Windows for $14.95, rather than $149? Or how about your insurance company that drop you or raises the premium if you have a claim.

If you want to be upset against something, blame your congressmen for approving legislation on this farce called ethanol. It has caused massive inflation in food. Little kids around the world are beginning to starve now because if costs too much to feed them.

Foreclosure filings nationwide soared 57% in January over the same month last year - another indication that the nation's housing woes are deepening.

House anyone?

Really I'd like to see some good news this is a slow burning fuse just waiting for something like a 911 to happen againimage
  • “XOM sells a commodity that has appreciated greatly in price. Thats all.

No one ever complains about the 90% margins that MSFT enjoys. Why dont they sell Windows for $14.95, rather than $149? Or how about your insurance company that drop you or raises the premium if you have a claim.

If you want to be upset against something, blame your congressmen for approving legislation on this farce called ethanol. It has caused massive inflation in food. Little kids around the world are beginning to starve now because if costs too much to feed them.”

POST OF THE DAY,
    Thanks Dave

I have no idea why folks always want to pick on the guys getting stuff out of the ground, oil companies, mining companies, etc. etc. They really have no idea how expensive all this is, to say nothing of constantly replacing those expensive reserves.

And your right why is it that no one complains about $19.95 dvd movies at Wal-Mart the cost less than $1.00 to produce, or the thousands of other products with hundreds of percent in mark ups?

Everyone seems to think if you punish these guys the price of gas will go down, this is a crazy idea.
    The global socialists have created a GLOBAL economy, and now we must all live in it. Anything our pink-o government does to punish the oil companies for making a decent profit will just make gas at the pump more expensive!
    "I have no idea why folks always want to pick on the guys getting stuff out of the ground, oil companies, mining companies, etc. etc. They really have no idea how expensive all this is, to say nothing of constantly replacing those expensive reserves."

The reason folk are picking on them is because of the nightly network news reports of Exxon-Mobil posting the highest profits ever for that company and the same for all the other majors while the regular guys are standing in a line to pay $3.00 for a gallon of gas. It is hard to not connect the dots and come up with the image that maybe the regular guys are getting taken advantage of by corporate America, especially when the network news services color the stories with a background of greed. The simple fact that seems to escape that $3 gas buyer is all he has to do is drive up, pop the lid and fill up with gas. It is really not like that in much of the world. We have plentiful, well distributed, more eco-friendly, lead free gasoline for less than half what most other modern societies pay (2.3x in Europe) and we're griping? But, I'm kind of supportive of the big guys in a sense not that all is right with Corporate America but this idea that successful businesses are somehow corrupt is just plain swill. Ever been to South America, maybe Mexico City or Caracas...the automotive exhausts in the air will make your eyes bleed and if you like this you can try Bejing, visibility from pollution is less than a mile.

Kind of like Bill Gates getting beat up for not sharing his code like he owes the world his proprietary information for some reason. He just got fined some 1.3 billions of dollars by the EU. Rather than beat up on Bill Gates, we should enshrine him and let him make more things that allow civilization to make a quantum advance in information management in less than 20 years. Think about it, just a few years ago we were struggling with DOS code to switch between Lotus 123 and Word Perfect and our hard drives would hold 1 meg of storage, maybe, if you had a new one. Now, we buy a stock computer that comes with 500 gigs of storage and MS Vista with multiple screens running at 3 gigs on a dual core processor. So they want to villify Bill Gates and Exxon...?
    ExxonMobil's profit margin is around 8%, unless I'm mistaken. Penalize them a bit more and you might be able to induce them to move somewhere else. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I knew it would happen.
    Gld etf at 94.48 and screaming upward past the 52 week high. Wondering if the central bank sales have shocked everybody into getting what they can. The gld etf is the 10th largest holder of PM gold in the world.
    NEWS FLASH!

FED chair fears inflation!

OH BROTHER, Guess the flim-flam man can't hide it anymore

Dollar is down again -.61 at 74.09, this is getting a little scary.

<< <i>NEWS FLASH!

FED chair fears inflation!

OH BROTHER, Guess the flim-flam man can't hide it anymore

Dollar is down again -.61 at 74.09, this is getting a little scary. >>

what really scares me is the micro-economic type questions being asked of Bernanke, by Congress, right now. i'm not really sure Congress knows the difference.
This discussion has been closed.