Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seller ended item early because

Because i did !

Lets assume the PCGS price guide is 66.67% High !
sound reasonable ?

1957 PR68 Cam JEFF, $2200.00 net that down to $ 733.33
1957 PR68 Cam Roosie, $240.00 net that down to $80.00
1957 PR68 Cam Wash , $350.00 net that down to $116.66
1957 PR68 Cam Frankie, $630.00 net that down to $210.00

Top bids when canceled

Jeff $226.05
Roosie $25.05
Wash $61.05
Frankie $51.05

My cost

Jeff $311.00
Roosie $74.00
Wash $142.50
Frankie $191.00
not including shipping or tax,did i overpay ? i dont think so !

Conclusion: Dont put your good stuff on EBAY !

Comments

• Options
    How do you know what the final bid would have been if you ended early ? You should not list items without a reserve or a starting price you would be willing to accept for the item. To end an auction early because the bids aren't what you expected is in my opinion fraud. Don't list items with no reserve unless you are willing to take your chances. Jeez. image

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Conclusion: Dont put your good stuff on EBAY ! >>

That's not the conclusion I draw from your example.

To me, the conclusion would be to think about the minimum bid you WOULD accept, and either start the bidding at that price or set a reserve at that level. If you're not willing to do that because you want to pay lower initial listing fees, you need to be prepared for the outcome.

I just listed this lot of 34 semi-junky Indians yesterday, and if it sells for the current high bid of one cent, it sells for one cent. I took the risk in using a one-cent, no reserve auction and I need to be prepared to honor the high bid.

Cancelling an non-reserve auction because you don't like the legitimate, good-faith bids is no better than non-paying bidders, IMO.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

Weren't these PCI graded?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Second conclusionimageut a reasonble reserve on your good stuff and get NO BIDS !
  • Options

You gotta consider there's a pretty small market for what you're offering...
  • Options
    Russ,
    These were all NGC,nice stuff.
    except the SGS 70 Frankie,which is the subject of another thread.
  • Options
    I see that they were NGC graded. Looking at your images, I can see why you didn't draw much in the way of bidding activity.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once listed a proof seated dollar. With 10 minutes to go it was bid up to $2200. In the final minutes 2 bids came in. I sold it for over $3800. Had I cancelled the auction I would probably be out $1600. OUCH.

There is always a feeding frenzy in the final minute on GOOD stuff.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>I once listed a proof seated dollar. With 10 minutes to go it was bid up to $2200. In the final minutes 2 bids came in. I sold it for over $3800. Had I cancelled the auction I would probably be out $1600. OUCH.

There is always a feeding frenzy in the final minute on GOOD stuff. >>

Right. If it's quality stuff that's in high demand, trust the snipers. If you get at least two of them putting in a good honest, best-offer snipe in the last few seconds, you'll get a decent sale almost every time.
  • Options
    It's just because they are NGC! If your nickle had been PCGS I would buy it!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    I am partly to blame,i wasnt thinking about the closing times when these were listed.
    while its possible there were some snipers lurking,3 auctions had 3 minutes left.

Proof
  • Options

<< <i>I am partly to blame,i wasnt thinking about the closing times when these were listed.
    while its possible there were some snipers lurking,3 auctions had 3 minutes left.

Proof >>

Not partly, totally.

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Lurking snipers or not, by listing your stuff you made an agreement to sell your items to the highest bidder.

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    ok ok, back off proof

Proof were these auctions in the past 2 weeks? I ask because my auctions the past 2 MONTHS have done
    pretty good..to say the least. But when july rolled around, BAM, like emeril slammed the cleaver on em

but then I got to thinking...what do people do this time of year?? VACATION...see ive been layed off since NOV,
    and have had to slowly sell EVERYTHING image
    I own to pay bills.(didnt think of vacation, because no job)..it suks...anyhow now Im down to serious money items, no ebay bidders are around..

if you can afford to wait a few weeks, id be willing to bet you do 100% better.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    This thread should be copied and sent to eBays fraud department.

• Options
    By the time these come back from PCGS it will be OCT. !
    I wont be listing anything decent on FleaBay for a loong time
    or the BST for that matter.
  • Options
    Toss him in the slammer, and throw away the key, I say!

• Options
    Proof, step away from the keyboard and place your hands behind your head. You have the right to remain silent...

• Options

<< <i>Toss him in the slammer, and throw away the key, I say!

image >>

• Options
    Louis,
    Feel free to forward it to EBAY's Fraud Dept.
    was no fraud involved,i decided to have the coins regraded and pulled the auctions !
    Far be it from me to sell an overgraded coin !

Proof
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I never bid until the last moment.
    Auctions I've been going to bid on have been cancelled by the seller, sometimes at the very end. It doesn't bother me. It's their loss.
    When I sell on Ebay..... it's a true auction. It starts far below the value and whatever the final bid is, that's what it's sold for. I never would stop an auction unless something were to physically happen to the item or there was a mistake in the listing.

Ray
  • Options

<< <i>Louis,
    Feel free to forward it to EBAY's Fraud Dept.
    was no fraud involved,i decided to have the coins regraded and pulled the auctions !
    Far be it from me to sell an overgraded coin !

Proof >>

I have no intention of doing that. What reason did you give them for canceling the auction ?

• Options

<< <i>Second conclusionimageut a reasonble reserve on your good stuff and get NO BIDS ! >>

Presumably this could also apply to higher starting bids with no reserve, too.

I still believe that if you get NO BIDS on an item and you think the reserve is "reasonable," chances are that you have an exaggerated belief in the item's worth. Snipers rarely fail me when offering desirable items and realistic expectations.

Anyway, for counterexamples, here are a couple of my recent auctions which completed within the last four days:

Trends $150, starting bid $69, winning bid $138

Trends $125, starting bid $69, winning bid $121
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my post from the original Keets thread.

<<All I can say is that I am very close to joining the ranks of sellers that do this. I have been screwed in the past by not ending an auction early.

For example, I had an 1813 PCGS AU50 Half Eagle for 1 cent no reserve earlier this year. A dealer wrote me and asked to stop the auction for 4400$. I REALLY wanted to take him up on it but there were bids so I decided to let it run...

What did it close for??? 4250$ and he didnt even bid!!

Ebay is the contributor to this because they allow for so much crap and crappy sellers that people are afraid to bid on high end coins, even certified ones in many cases.

There is my vent. I havent ended stuff early yet but I feel like I am being pushed that way.

V.r,
    John >>

I would disagree with Cohodk that all good stuff sells on ebay. That was a nice early gold piece that was on ebay during a time when early gold is HOT!! It had a nice pic, old green holder, the whole bit. I have excellent feedback

The bottom line is that ebay is a cess pool of filth and crime. I do very little business there anymore.

What I find amusing is that people think that questionable auction practices happen only on ebay!! Shilling and much worse goes on all the time.

John
  • Options
    Proof still hasn't answered the question, so I'll ask again

What reason did you give eBay for canceling the auctions ?

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coinlieutenant,

You sold that coin for only $150 less than your high offer. In other terms you realized 96.6% of your maximum offer. That sounds pretty darn good to me. I would wager that if you put that coin in a Heritage auction 3 times that you would have realized 3 different prices ranging between $4000 and $4500. CDN bid on your coin is $3800. You realized 12% over CDN for your coin. I wish I could sell all of my coins for 12% over CDN.

There is a lot of junk or average coins on EBAY and they realize average prices, but quality will always generate quality bids regardless of selling venue.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    DEALERS, SELLERS, ETC...............

Why not give the buyers a break? I only buy coins and I can't count the number of times
    the auction was pulled because (I believe) the bids were too low. Start out at the price
    you believe the coin is worth and us buyers will take it from there. I don't bid on so called
    "Reserve Not Yet Met" deals and these $1.00 start bids I avoid. Hope this helps.

Alex in Alaska
    Collecting Morgans in Any Grade
  • Options

<< <i>and these $1.00 start bids I avoid. >>

Huh? You avoid the chance to get a rip? Please tell me you're looking for the same stuff I am.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Louis,
    The item is no longer for sale.
    Why ?
    I decided to send the items to PCGS for a x-over grade.
    i would never sell an over graded coin in an NGC holder when i can sell the same coin in a PCGS holder for 2x money !

Proof
  • Options

<< <i>Louis,
    The item is no longer for sale.
    Why ?
    I decided to send the items to PCGS for a x-over grade.
    i would never sell an over graded coin in an NGC holder when i can sell the same coin in a PCGS holder for 2x money !

Proof >>

Why did you list them ? Jeez. image

• Options

<< <i> I don't bid on so called"Reserve Not Yet Met" deals and these $1.00 start bids I avoid. Hope this helps. >>

I usually don't, but I made a major exception last week when I bid on my new "baby" (whose avatar I'll use starting the 15th), an 1877 Indian cent in NGC XF-40. You can't find those for much under $2,000 these days, but I decided to snipe a reserve auction just in case; as of a minute before the auction close it was at about $1,300 and "reserve not met." As it turned out, the reserve was a very reasonable $1,500 and I won it for a little under $1,600. I'm pretty happy with that, and I'm certainly glad I made the exception.
  • Options
    Congrats ziggy. image

• Options
    I figured the people that would look at the item would bid fair money.

Why is it for sale ? i need the bucks,been outta work for a bit.
    would rather work at Mickey D's than give my nice stuff away !

I really didnt think my coins were so esoteric that nobody would want them.
    as soon as they come back from PCGS i will send them to TELETRADE.
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats ziggy. image >>

Thanks! One of the reasons I just finished selling a bunch of stuff was to raise money to partially fund this "major purchase." (I made that promise to my wife in order to get "permission" to buy the coin.) I've collected this series all my life, dreaming that some day I'd have that '77 in my collection, and I finally snagged it -- and in the condition I sought. image

Besides, my wife recently got a new PowerBook to replace her crusty old one, and I guarantee you in a few years, my coin will be worth a LOT more than her old, used Mac laptop. image
  • Options
    <<I figured the people that would look at the item would bid fair money.>>

You didn't give them a chance by ending the auctions early.

• Options

"My cost

Jeff $311.00
    Roosie $74.00
    Wash $142.50
    Frankie $191.00
    not including shipping or tax,did i overpay ? i dont think so !".....

Evidently, you did...

Hmmmmmm........I guarantee I'll never bid on any of your auctions....... imageimage
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cohodk,

I understand what you are saying but early gold is really not trading at greysheet these days!! image

I am mainly just frustrated with ebay. You are right, some stuff still does good.

But it is hit or miss...

John
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165

If you're going to put the "good stuff" up for auction it's best to start the bidding at, in essence, your reserve.

Listing a low opening bid with a reserve, especially on the good stuff can be expensive however in both cases

you need to protect yourself from all these K-Mart Blue light bargain hunters or you'll be selling in Red figures and

out of business in a heartbeat. Better to set the opening bid high or spend a few bucks placing a reserve, not selling the

item and losing a few dollars than it is to lose expensive pieces to these Bargain hunters looking to get something for

nothing because you were too tight and took a chance and lost. JMHOimage
  • Options
    Louis,
    3 minutes left
  • Options
    Most snipes are placed in the last 10 seconds.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>and these $1.00 start bids I avoid. >>

Huh? You avoid the chance to get a rip? Please tell me you're looking for the same stuff I am.

Russ, NCNE >>

I would still like to see the answer to this? I start all my Graded coin auctions at .99, win or lose (and believe me I have lost), and you are saying you would never bid on an auction that starts at $1?? Where's the logic in this?

Ken
  • Options
    The 3 i cancelled had 3 minutes left !
  • Options
    Millennium,
    You have no clue how difficult these are to find,

Frankly i could give a rats AZZ if you bid anyway !

Proof
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    if you can afford to wait a few weeks, id be willing to bet you do 100% better

I concur. Look proof...It's easy for everyone else to tell you what to do when it's your money at risk, not theirs. You do what you think is best for you, regardless of the heckling you'll receive from the forumites. It's your greenbacks on the table. On another note...I've had auctions that I frowned in the last seconds, only to find that when I re-opened my ebay page, the final bids had jumped drastically, and to my benefit. So, the next time you decide to run auctions with premium goods, put a reserve on them, or as boom expressed, start the bid with a price that is comfortable for you. JMHO.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    If the game isn't to his liking he'll take his ball and go home. image

• Options
    These are going to PCGS to x at any grade,this way i can get 1700 for the JEFF even though it is the same coin.

Proof
  • Options

<< <i>It's easy for everyone else to tell you what to do when it's your money at risk, not theirs. >>

I risk my money every time out with $1 no reserve auctions, and I have never closed an auction in the final moments - even when I was losing my ass. I've had coins sell for half of their market value. The fact is that it's chickensh!t to run a no reserve auction and then bail at the last second because it doesn't get bid up to expectations.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>These are going to PCGS to x at any grade,this way i can get 1700 for the JEFF even though it is the same coin.

Proof >>

Expect some downgrades.

• Options
    Louis,
    thats right ! it's my ball and my money,i can pick either one up as i choose !

Proof

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file