Home U.S. Coin Forum

Will the US Mint honor the Coast Guard?

To date the US Mint has not made a commemorative to honor the Coast Guard. Why is this?

Todd
Todd Abbey

Comments

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    There should be one. There is a neat old Coast Guard ship permanently docked in Baltimore's Inner Harbor that would be
    a good ship to model one side of the coin from.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I think the US Mint recently included a Tribute to the Coast Guard in their Bronze medal series.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • honor the coast guard? what did the coast guard ever do to deserve honor?

just kidding image
  • Ya know, the predecessor of the Coast Guard was the Life Saving Stations. The Coast Guard took them over in the eraly 1900s if memory serves.

In did a chytload of research on the Life Saving Stations around the Great Lake. It may interest you to know that in the winter when a lost soul would turn up at one of the life saving stations they would be treated to a couple opium pills and a shot of whiskey, they would then be allowed to rest for a couple hours and WHEN THEY FELT BETTER, they would be sent on their way!

True story.

Jim
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

There was a bronze medal issued by the US Mint for the 150th anniversary of the Coast Gaurd in 1989.

You'll pretty much have to take my word for it because the photo is so crappy, but I had one and sold it on eBay last year.

The obverse had men rowing in a boat during a storm at sea and the reverse showed the insignia.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • It is a sad state of affairs as they did belong to the US DOT. Underfunded and overworked and always catching a ration of crap because most recent boaters in trouble were too ignorant to take necessary safety precautions! I don't know if the Dept. has moved under Homeland Security, but I believe they are long overdue for a complete set of coins honoring their heroic actions every hour of the day!!!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

How the heck did you find this thread. That’s a lot of reading but I love it. I can’t do this 2.5 medal but I’m in for the 1 oz. at the end of the year 🤓

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2021 10:10PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    How the heck did you find this thread. That’s a lot of reading but I love it. I can’t do this 2.5 medal but I’m in for the 1 oz. at the end of the year 🤓

I was looking at upcoming US Mint sales and came across this. I then did a search on here for "Coast Guard" and came across this old thread.

I'm sure this is up there with the top 100 old treads resurrected / thread bumped on the Internet! o:)

But, it's a legit thread bump IMO - the question was asked 18 years ago and an answer was timely provided!

It's too bad it took this long for the longest continuous sea going service of the United States to be recognized this way!

B)

BST references available on request

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice medal.... And our Coasties deserve the recognition. Cheers, RickO

Great job. Reviving old quality threads. Naming mr.2percent (I think I was you). Getting old kinda sucks but I still like to give credit where credit is due. Congratulations 🤓

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2021 6:42AM

the longest continuous sea going service of the United States is commonly known as the Navy. pride is OK, but let's not get stuck on names.

United States Navy.
    --- Founded 27 March 1794
    227 years, 4 months as U.S. Navy.

--- 13 October 1775
    245 years, 10 months as Continental Navy.

United States Coast Guard.
    --- Founded 28 January 1915
    106 years, 6 months as U.S. Coast Guard.
    --- 4 August 1790
    231 years as Revenue-Marine.

Happy recent Birthday to the Coast Guard!! B)

speaking of names, who remembers these??
    Air Force --- zoomies.
    Army --- grunts.
    Marines --- jarheads.
    Coast Guard --- mud ducks.
    Navy --- squids. :p

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for one.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're trying to make these rare with a 10K mintage but at a $64 per ounce silver level for a non-coin issue, I'm out.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

@telephoto1 said:
    They're trying to make these rare with a 10K mintage but at a $64 per ounce silver level for a non-coin issue, I'm out.

You'd rather pay $75-$85 per oz for a modern proof COIN?

@OPA said:

@telephoto1 said:

Yes because I can actually sell those at a profit, and into a much wider market. Next question?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

@telephoto1 said:

You'd rather pay $75-$85 per oz for a modern proof COIN?> @telephoto1 said:

@OPA said:

@telephoto1 said:

Yes because I can actually sell those at a profit, and into a much wider market. Next question?

Really? Selling raw silver modern proofs at a profit? 90% of the time, you won't, Yup, there are exceptions. I agree, the coin market is much wider, but I'm not collecting the medallion to sell, but to keep and enjoy.

No problem in ordering one.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 ea
    USM113133XX
    Relatively smooth ordering.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love this medal:

• RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Got 1. No issues. Not a huge winner but it's a nice looking medal.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like it and it goes well with the Air Force large medal. I am guessing other forces will have 2.5 ounce silver medals in the future to form a small set?

I did not order this as the oversize holder can't be included with other small medals in the submissions anymore as far as I can tell, so it makes it expensive for me to grade individually. I will buy a 70 when one shows up already graded.

@OPA said:

Really? Selling raw silver modern proofs at a profit? 90% of the time, you won't, Yup, there are exceptions. I agree, the coin market is much wider, but I'm not collecting the medallion to sell, but to keep and enjoy.

Glad to hear it, because that's what collecting's about.

As for me, seeing how I'm a dealer, virtually 100% of the time I sell stuff for more than what I paid.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice looking medal.
    I will not buy one. I might have if it was a coin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

@telephoto1 said:

@OPA said:

@telephoto1 said:

Ya maybe if all you get are 70’s and if your doing that please tell me how because coins are a little random from the start. Just my opinion 🤓
    I buy what I like making it very simple to be happy about what I buy

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one just sold on Ebay for $125...... B)

@Bullsitter said:

What the heck? I want one for $35 off 😳

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has to be a presale as they only went on sale at 12 today.
    I hope that they honor it.
    Most likely they will cancel it.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

edited August 17, 2021 10:47AM

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@Bullsitter said:

Caveat emptor. I'd like to keep on eye on that seller. Appears to be a listing error. Sellers BIN most likely was $225. That's what the majority on ebay are asking

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@Bullsitter said:

Caveat emptor. I'd like to keep on eye on that seller. Appears to be a listing error. Sellers BIN most likely was $225. That's what the majority on ebay are asking

If the BIN was $225 how did it sell for $125?

@Bullsitter said:

@OPA said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@Bullsitter said:

If the BIN was $225 how did it sell for $125?

I meant to say....listing error...seller let his fingers do the walking, but meant to list it for $225. I suspect he will cancel the sale, which is allowed under ebay if it was an error in the listing

@Goldminers said:
    I really like it and it goes well with the Air Force large medal. I am guessing other forces will have 2.5 ounce silver medals in the future to form a small set?

I did not order this as the oversize holder can't be included with other small medals in the submissions anymore as far as I can tell, so it makes it expensive for me to grade individually. I will buy a 70 when one shows up already graded.

If the sales of the PCGS 70 graded Air Force Medals are an indication of price, expect to pay at least $100 above issue price.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=U.S.+Airforce+2.5+oz+silver+medal+PCGS&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

@keets said:
    the longest continuous sea going service of the United States is commonly known as the Navy. pride is OK, but let's not get stuck on names.

speaking of names, who remembers these??
    Air Force --- zoomies.
    Army --- grunts.
    Marines --- jarheads.
    Coast Guard --- mud ducks.
    Navy --- squids. :p

A couple of points...

From the https://uso.org/stories/2273-9-coast-guard-facts USO's website:

Quote:

The Coast Guard is the Longest, Continuous Seagoing Service in the United States
    The first Congress of the United States signed what was the precursor to the Coast Guard (the “Revenue-Marine") into existence on August 4, 1790 to prevent smuggling and enforce federal tariffs. The Continental Navy was disbanded in 1790 after the Revolutionary War and the newly-founded U.S. Navy didn’t set sail until 1798, making the Coast Guard the oldest continuous seagoing service in the United States.

From Military.com's website: https://military.com/join-armed-forces/us-coast-guard-overview.html

Quote:

The Coast Guard, through its forefathers, is the oldest continuous seagoing service and has fought in almost every war since the Constitution became the law of the land in 1789. After the Revolutionary War (1775-83), the Continental Navy was disbanded. From 1790-98, when the U.S. Navy was created, the revenue cutters were the only national maritime service.

There are other websites that bear this out but I don't want to harp on it! B)

As to the nicknames...I understand that there are lots of nicknames given to the services...but I've never heard of mud ducks being attributed to the Coasties. I have heard of "Puddle Pirates" !! ;)

Another cool thing about the Coasties...is that Cadets of the US Coast Guard Academy get to learn maritime tradecraft upon the US Coast Guard Cutter Eagle - America's Tall Ship - which was previously known as the Horst Wessel and was given to the Coast Guard as a war prize from Nazi Germany. The ship is still around today and cadets sail around the world on her every summer...

HoneyMarket, how long has the Navy been around?? who was battling the British at sea during the American Revolution?? this point isn't even arguable, but go ahead anyway.

edited August 17, 2021 1:52PM

@keets said:
    HoneyMarket, how long has the Navy been around?? who was battling the British at sea during the American Revolution?? this point isn't even arguable, but go ahead anyway.

The key word here was continuous .
    The US Navy was disbanded for quite a time after the Revolutionary War.

Here's another reminder about the Coast Guard vs Navy...from the Gipper himself told back in 1988.

https://youtu.be/t_IBHNhsCrA?t=290

o:)

like I said, you can argue with yourself. the Coast Guard wasn't the Coast Guard until 1915. up to that point it was the Revenue-Marine. when it became "The Coast Guard" it was under the auspices of the US Navy just as the US Marine Corps.

--- the U.S. Revenue-Marine, the primary predecessor of the U.S. Coast Guard.

go ahead and have fun, you win.........................nothing.

edited August 17, 2021 2:44PM

Dang it keets. Every thread I go to there you are and gosh dang it if you aren’t outsmarting someone or putting people in their place. Your a dang bully. Ya I know shut up cause you know better. 🤓🙀

edited August 17, 2021 2:52PM

@keets said:
    go ahead and have fun, you win.........................nothing.

I wasn't really trying to argue anything with you...I was just presenting facts.
    Thanks for the Win!! :*

8:pm eastern and they are available for purchase. Slower mover it seems so strange. Mint issue not selling out quickly 🤓🙀

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered one of the medals...I like the design and always have had a good deal of respect for the Coasties.

K

ANA LM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    8:pm eastern and they are available for purchase. Slower mover it seems so strange. Mint issue not selling out quickly 🤓🙀

It took over one week for the Air Force medal to sell out. H.H. limits should be removed by tomorrow afternoon. That will speed up the sales.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am waiting for the limit to be removed so I can get couple more.

The Air Force 2.5 has a couple listings. The seller has quite the price 🤓

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

...and there you have an example of the reason why this 10,000 piece issue hasn't sold out a day later, yet 175,000 and 200,000 piece COIN issues sell out in 15 minutes.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

@telephoto1 said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

...and there you have an example of the reason why this 10,000 piece issue hasn't sold out a day later, yet 175,000 and 200,000 piece COIN issues sell out in 15 minutes.

Again, if you didn't read 3 post above yours, it took the Airforce medal over a week to sell out.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:
    I am waiting for the limit to be removed so I can get couple more.

Go get em:

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

one of the few mint items with no back order

I seriously doubt the CG Medal will sell out...At most, the Active Duty force is about 35-39k at any one time. There are about 10k Reservists. There are a bunch of other civilians and contractors...but frankly I don't think most care that much and I've seen zero mention of this on any Coast Guard Blogs...

It's too bad this could not have been somehow tied to the Coast Guard's raising of funds to build a Coast Guard museum in New London, CT.

There will probably be more interest in the 1oz version...

edited August 18, 2021 1:54PM

@HoneyMarket said:
    I seriously doubt the CG Medal will sell out...At most, the Active Duty force is about 35-39k at any one time. There are about 10k Reservists. There are a bunch of other civilians and contractors...but frankly I don't think most care that much and I've seen zero mention of this on any Coast Guard Blogs...

It's too bad this could not have been somehow tied to the Coast Guard's raising of funds to build a Coast Guard museum in New London, CT.

There will probably be more interest in the 1oz version...

That’s brilliant please just email and post on the blog. I think you have a lot of drive and like your posts. I wouldn’t know where to start. But you could maybe post a little something for the next few days. 🤓🙀
    I love how life opens doors and sometimes we as humans do the same 🙏

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file