Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you spend more money in hard close auctions if there was a "proxy" feature?

12346»

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@jmlanzaf said:

At the risk of stepping into the line of fire, you do seem more reactive lately. Is everything okay?

Thank you for asking, that’s very kind of you. I’m not trying to be, it’s just that the member I just replied to has continually tried make me look like a villain since he started to post here.

Honestly, it seems like making the switch from collector to collector/dealer has changed the forum attitudes towards me. Since 2021, I’ve been courteous and polite in addition to trying to help others any way I can. Now I continuously defend myself from accusations of being a “greedy, selfish slimeball dealer who’s mean to people” lol, regardless of my actual intentions.

I took time off from the forums for a few years and didn't see your switch, but, switching TO a dealer may, or may NOT be the "reason" for any change in attitude towards you that you are thinking you see.
    I don't recall you as a collector here. So many people, I don't know them all and they don't know me. That's fine.
    That said, sometimes how someone treats others can cause how they, themselves, will be treated...maybe that's what you are seeing?

There are dealers here that are collectors, were collectors, and then became dealers. Everyone handles it differently.
    There are some very classy dealers here, even when they actually get attacked...they handle it in a super classy way and don't get down in the mud.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

@tcollects said:

I think this thread has been great and I haven't read anything but helpful, well-intentioned and reasonable from Dan. Please don't feel inhibited from contributing because of dissent, your best potential customers probably appreciate the thoughtful posts.

I'd disagree, at least in 1 series of replies. Particularly when the initial reply wasn't addressed specifically to him, or any person individually, but the reply came back in a personal way. And, it is up to the recipient to determine how it feels for the reply...not the one making the statement.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have so much to spend, and I always manage to spend it.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    I only have so much to spend, and I always manage to spend it.

Also, find a way to spend it. :D

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • JCH22JCH22 Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2024 7:06AM

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:

@PeakRarities said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PeakRarities said:

@JCH22 said:

@Bochiman said:

"We pride ourselves on our customer relationships and satisfaction"

He went easy on you. When I disagreed with him on some CAC thread, he launched a multiple post barrage, ..... starting with a reference to the fictional character Omar, from the Showtime crime drama The Wire...... something about if you come for him, you better not miss. Said I acting the part of a feeble boomer, clutching pearls, he would call an ambulance for feeble me etc. **Deleted all my posts from that thread--didn't want to be associated with it. **

Going personal, name calling stuff is off putting.

LOL, this is rich....

I love how you think you can just paint this picture of me while leaving out the pertinent details of all the insulting and critical things you said in multiple threads....why dont we take a look at them? Oh wait, you deleted all the evidence and we're all supposed to just take your (brand new anonymous member with a private profile) word for it 🙄....and even if you didnt delete everything, your private profile (which is a feature that should be disabled, imo) wouldn't even allow us to look at them if we wanted to.

The only name i've ever called you was a "troll", and if you have been here for any length of time, you'd understand why that is an extremely reasonable and likely assumption based on your posts. And to think I was just starting to consider that maybe you werent here to cause trouble...I really need to stop doubting my gut instincts. My offer to call the "waa-mbulance" still stands in case you need it! 😂

At the risk of stepping into the line of fire, you do seem more reactive lately. Is everything okay?

Thank you for asking, that’s very kind of you. I’m not trying to be, it’s just that the member I just replied to has continually tried make me look like a villain since he started to post here.

Honestly, it seems like making the switch from collector to collector/dealer has changed the forum attitudes towards me. Since 2021, I’ve been courteous and polite in addition to trying to help others any way I can. Now I continuously defend myself from accusations of being a “greedy, selfish slimeball dealer who’s mean to people” lol, regardless of my actual intentions.

I think this thread has been great and I haven't read anything but helpful, well-intentioned and reasonable from Dan. Please don't feel inhibited from contributing because of dissent, your best potential customers probably appreciate the thoughtful posts.

Well said.

Great thread and interesting discussion by most of the participants. That is how the hobby gets better.

• M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2024 6:26PM

I just came upon a GC auction that was ending in less than 10 minutes, so I watched it. It wasn't anything that I needed, but I figured I might throw out a cheap bid with seconds to spare for the heck of it. At 20 seconds left, I typed my bid and submitted it. The page immediately updated before the count made it to zero, then I refreshed again after the auction ended to see who won, and I got a notice saying that I bid too late. It sold for less than my bid. Glad it wasn't something I really cared about. Lol!

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

@M4Madness said:
    I just came upon a GC auction that was ending in less than 10 minutes, so I watched it. It wasn't anything that I needed, but I figured I might throw out a cheap bid with seconds to spare for the heck of it. At 20 seconds left, I typed my bid and submitted it. The page immediately updated before the count made it to zero, then I refreshed again after the auction ended to see who won, and I got a notice saying that I bid too late. It sold for less than my bid. Glad it wasn't something I really cared about. Lol!

I’ve had this experience once at 14 seconds and my nuclear bid was not accepted. The page even said so. I sent an unkind message but was told this was not possible. My wife was with me and saw it. I spent over $40k that night so it’s not like I didn’t understand what to do or how to do it, but I digress….I like GC and Ian. Website are never perfect.

edited September 15, 2024 8:07PM

Won 6 lots. Lost 13.

Edit: Looks like 16 lost. Had a few pending.

All bids entered well before the close.

Didn't win the 1879 dollar that sold for $1000 (20%) less than it did last year at Heritage.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2024 7:53PM

@Bochiman said:

@PeakRarities said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I took time off from the forums for a few years and didn't see your switch, but, switching TO a dealer may, or may NOT be the "reason" for any change in attitude towards you that you are thinking you see.
    I don't recall you as a collector here. So many people, I don't know them all and they don't know me. That's fine.
    That said, sometimes how someone treats others can cause how they, themselves, will be treated...maybe that's what you are seeing?

There are dealers here that are collectors, were collectors, and then became dealers. Everyone handles it differently.
    There are some very classy dealers here, even when they actually get attacked...they handle it in a super classy way and don't get down in the mud.

But how exactly did I get down in the mud? I pointed out that I used the word found instead of find, and what I meant by that was that at the time of my original comment, I found it hard to believe that you read the other comments.

My second reply to you ended with "Can you really blame me for assuming that you didnt read the comments?"- At which point, you replied that you would never be a customer of mine because because I didnt like you, I was calling you a liar, and being a hypocrite. I thought I was being cordial, but tone of voice and context is lost in translation with typed speech, which Is why I tried to get clarification by asking you questions.

As far as you not noticing me as a collector here, it might be because I changed my name recently but my avatar pic is the same. I've been consistently active on the boards for the past 3 years, and some have jokingly ribbed me for how many posts I racked up in just a short time.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@PeakRarities said:

@Bochiman said:

@PeakRarities said:

@jmlanzaf said:

But how exactly did I get down in the mud? I pointed out that I used the word found instead of find, and what I meant by that was that at the time of my original comment, I found it hard to believe that you read the other comments.

My second reply to you ended with "Can you really blame me for assuming that you didnt read the comments?"- At which point, you replied that you would never be a customer of mine because because I didnt like you, I was calling you a liar, and being a hypocrite. I thought I was being cordial, but tone of voice and context is lost in translation with typed speech, which Is why I tried to get clarification by asking you questions.

As far as you not noticing me as a collector here, it might be because I changed my name recently but my avatar pic is the same. I've been consistently active on the boards for the past 3 years, and some have jokingly ribbed me for how many posts I racked up in just a short time.

Bochi is the Boo Radley of the forum. Don't let him aggravate you too much.

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm late to this thread and there's no way in hell I'm reading through six pages of replies to see if I'm being redundant. For me, if I'm not excited/motivated enough to be there in the moment of the auction close to make a last minute (hopefully victorious) bid then that's a sign from the numismatic Gods that I shouldn't be bidding in the first place. When it's the right coin for you, it's the right coin regardless of time and/or day.

@DocBenjamin said:

@PeakRarities said:

@Bochiman said:

@PeakRarities said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Bochi is the Boo Radley of the forum. Don't let him aggravate you too much.

glicker, you hold the record for most BANNED forum names here...how long until this one gets banned as well?

edited September 18, 2024 7:07PM

Got outbid on about thirty lots since Sunday. The OP strategy is making more sense.

One error lot remaining.

:#

• JCH22JCH22 Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

Change lure? Seems like the fish aren't biting....

Really cruddy looking 66+ Morgan with a green sticker on it. Got outbid and it still went cheap.

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:
    Won 6 lots. Lost 13.

Didn't win the 1879 dollar that sold for $1000 (20%) less than it did last year at Heritage.

Evening. Doc why would you expect to even win a coin that sold for 20% less than last year, but you didn’t bid high enough to win it 20% back of a prior sale? If your bid was not high enough to win 20% back of a prior sale, it doesn’t seem as though you were very serious about the coin = I wouldn’t even call that a loss.

@johnny010 said:

@DocBenjamin said:
    Won 6 lots. Lost 13.

Evening. Doc why would you expect to even win a coin that sold for 20% less than last year, but you didn’t bid high enough to win it 20% back of a prior sale? If your bid was not high enough to win 20% back of a prior sale, it doesn’t seem as though you were very serious about the coin = I wouldn’t even call that a loss.

Correct, I was not fully committed. Coin jumps from $1200 in 66 to $3-5000 in 66+ to >$20k in 67.

My losing high bid might have been triple what the coin is worth.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file