Home U.S. Coin Forum

1975 Roosevelt Dime No S PCGS Proof-67 on GC

retirednowretirednow Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG ... My Mother was Right about Everything!
I wake up with a Good Attitude Every Day. Then … Idiots Happen!

Comments

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that is big news! Thanks for posting it!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    There will be a press release out about it in the next few days - CoinWorld is featuring it in their upcoming issue.

Exciting to handle this modern rarity.

• Ian

Way cool 😎 👍

• Seraph21Seraph21 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Wow, I can only dream of owning one. Definitely going to be watching that auction!

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2024 9:46PM

Congratulations to Ian for getting an opportunity to handle the second 1975 No S Dime. Since in this case, Ian has decided to provide a Lot description for the item, he should properly set out the provenance for the finest known example of this (currently) mintage 2 coin.

The PR68 coin was purchased at the Heritage Auction in 09/19 by Mitchell Spivack, Justin Spivack and Steve Heller jointly for the sum of $456,000. The coin was then resold approximately (5) days later that month by that trio to an avid Roosevelt Dime collector through his agent Nick Cascio for the sum of $516,000.

Full details of this purchase and sale of the finest known 1975 No S specimen can be read in an article appearing on the website of Monstercoinmart (Justin’s company) entitled: “RECORD-BREAKING 1975 PROOF NO S DIME
    QUICKLY RE-SOLD FOR $516,000”. Ian is granted permission here to provide a link to Justin’s article in the lot description of the second 1975 No S dime he is currently auctioning off.

There are probably other amplifications/additions that should be added to the Lot description, but the pedigree information on the top coin was obviously a very important addition.

Good luck to everyone bidding on this very cool coin!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t get it. How does only two coins get minted without mint marks. I don’t mean to imply anything I just can’t figure how this happens.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I don’t get it. How does only two coins get minted without mint marks. I don’t mean to imply anything I just can’t figure how this happens.

It's a fair question. There are a couple ways it could happen. Since I don't think it was polished off, the simplest way is they forgot to add the mint mark but caught the mistake early but missed the two coins that got through. Given they were proof sets, that means a somewhat lazy effort at QC.

A quick internet search does this was discussed in a 2019 Coinworld blog. And several sources include deliberate manufacture as a possibility. Since a lot of shenanigans went on in SF in the 1970s, that can't be ruled out.

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

It's a fair question. There are a couple ways it could happen. Since I don't think it was polished off, the simplest way is they forgot to add the mint mark but caught the mistake early but missed the two coins that got through. Given they were proof sets, that means a somewhat lazy effort at QC.

A quick internet search does this was discussed in a 2019 Coinworld blog. And several sources include deliberate manufacture as a possibility. Since a lot of shenanigans went on in SF in the 1970s, that can't be ruled out.

I can’t buy deliberate manufacture, then send them out to a random buyer. The culprit would want them if he took a chance to make them or he did make some for himself and there are more out there. First possibility seems more plausible again missing just two is a tough sell. How many sealed boxes are still out there.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you certain that was a "random" buyer? Seems like it though. I would be very nervous about putting out big money for this type of coin from this source (proof set) as even one, let alone two or three more would REALLy hurt values.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I handled the discovery coin while I was at Coin World. Absolutely legit.

I like the idea that they made a bunch, noticed the error, and made a serious attempt to destroy them all but missed a couple. The Mint had been embarrassed by the earlier Proofs that got out without mint marks, and it tried to prevent Strike Three.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting variety, even if you're not into moderns.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@CaptHenway said:
    I handled the discovery coin while I was at Coin World. Absolutely legit.

I like the idea that they made a bunch, noticed the error, and made a serious attempt to destroy them all but missed a couple. The Mint had been embarrassed by the earlier Proofs that got out without mint marks, and it tried to prevent Strike Three.

Or did they just missed a couple with many sealed sets out there.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story with a fantastic provenance (and a fabulous looking modern)!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:

I can’t buy deliberate manufacture, then send them out to a random buyer. The culprit would want them if he took a chance to make them or he did make some for himself and there are more out there. First possibility seems more plausible again missing just two is a tough sell. How many sealed boxes are still out there.

Wasn't only one of the two clearly found in a proof set?

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, technically speaking, where do these fall, error or variety? Or something else altogether? Does the extremely low* mintage figure in to that distinction? Could they be a grease filled the mint mark situation?

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

I always wonder how someone just happens to find a cent or other coin that looks exactly like any other but seems to be way off in its weight and is a new discovery that sells for a boatload of money. I mean, out of a hundred of millions of cents how would one magically find that ‘rare’ one and unless they were a very knowledgeable collector even know about something like that? 🤔

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that neither coin received any sort of cameo designation when graded. For those of you who have seen them in person, are they definitively proof strikes? Is it somehow possible that two fresh business strikes (from 3000 miles away) got mixed in with the proof mintage and placed into sets?

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I never would have thought the price was that high. 55 days to go, sheesh....

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:
    I noticed that neither coin received any sort of cameo designation when graded. For those of you who have seen them in person, are they definitively proof strikes? Is it somehow possible that two fresh business strikes (from 3000 miles away) got mixed in with the proof mintage and placed into sets?

Sean Reynolds

I saw the one that Heritage auctioned and it was an obvious Proof.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@knovak1976 said:

@JimTyler said:

I always wonder how someone just happens to find a cent or other coin that looks exactly like any other but seems to be way off in its weight and is a new discovery that sells for a boatload of money. I mean, out of a hundred of millions of cents how would one magically find that ‘rare’ one and unless they were a very knowledgeable collector even know about something like that? 🤔

There are a lot of people looking at coins. And it doesn’t require anything magical for some of them to notice that in one way or another, some of those coins look and/or feel different.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when the 1990 no S cent was discovered. Unless I'm mistaken, I think that was the last proof error of this type.

As to the coin I saw at Coin World back in the 1970's:

I repeat, it is definitely, absolutely, positively a no question PROOF strike from a PROOFED die! It is not a business strike! No grease was harmed in the striking of that coin! Are we clear on this point?

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a slight curveball. If, as some have suggested, the two known examples are not DCAM, that would imply that they were struck later in the die's life, which makes their existence all the more mysterious.

Did they discover the error in the die only after striking thousands of coins and then missed a couple later strikes when searching the coins to retrieve the S-less coins? 🤔

@JBK said:
    Here's a slight curveball. If, as some have suggested, the two known examples are not DCAM, that would imply that they were struck later in the die's life, which makes their existence all the more mysterious.

Did they discover the error in the die only after striking thousands of coins and then missed a couple later strikes when searching the coins to retrieve the S-less coins? 🤔

The frosting on the 1968-on Proofs was a lot more subtle than modern Proofs, and may not have survived even 50 coins (100 strikes). I don’t think the quality of the strike proves anything.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

I repeat, it is definitely, absolutely, positively a no question PROOF strike from a PROOFED die! It is not a business strike! No grease was harmed in the striking of that coin! Are we clear on this point?

TD

Possibly the ambiguity is could it be a regular mint state planchet struck with proof dies, or a proof planchet struck with mint state dies?

@CaptHenway said:

TD

Your word is good enough for me.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

@1madman said:

@CaptHenway said:

TD

Possibly the ambiguity is could it be a regular mint state planchet struck with proof dies, or a proof planchet struck with mint state dies?

There is no ambiguity.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall seeing the proof dime inside the 1970 proof set. I was so jealous that at 17 years of age that I could never receive such a wonderful proof set! LOL

Was happy to see my friend Wondercoin get involved in buying and selling the 1970 no S proof dime.
    Could not happen to a nicer guy.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

@oreville said:
    I recall seeing the proof dime inside the 1970 proof set. I was so jealous that at 17 years of age that I could never receive such a wonderful proof set! LOL

Was happy to see my friend Wondercoin get involved in buying and selling the 1970 no S proof dime.
    Could not happen to a nicer guy.

@wondercoin - 1975 No S

Thank you Mark.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    edited September 3, 2024 9:29AM

I remember FJ Vollmer touting the 1968 no S proof dimes back in the 1970’s. The could not tout the 1970 no S proof dimes because they were too rare to tout.

Wondercoin:

Only complaint about you is you have been living on the West Coast. ;)

edited September 3, 2024 1:37PM

‘’Wondercoin:
    Only complaint about you is you have been living on the West Coast. ;)’’

Actually, this year it has been a split between West Coast and Tokyo. If any board members from Tokyo area this week want to grab a beer (on me), just send me a message.

Oreville: A special dinner for you and the Ms. Is waiting for you both if you want to visit one of the most exciting cities in the World (besides NYC)! 🤣

Wondercoin

@wondercoin said:

‘’Wondercoin:
    Only complaint about you is you have been living on the West Coast. ;)’’

Actually, this year it has been a split between West Coast and Tokyo. If any board members from Tokyo area this week want to grab a beer (on me), just send me a message.

Oreville: A special dinner for you and the Ms. Is waiting for you both if you want to visit one of the most exciting cities in the World (besides NYC)! 🤣

Wondercoin

We could not make it out to see you in Thailand as we both got so jammed up.

I recall how wonderful your daughter and you were in reviewing the National Parks quarters.

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the seller but that person sand bagged this one to get $500K for the other knowing full well there was a second coin. That is the definition of bad faith in allowing the other coin to be called unique. I would be furious if I purchased the other coin and found this out.

@Clackamas1 said:
    Congrats to the seller but that person sand bagged this one to get $500K for the other knowing full well there was a second coin. That is the definition of bad faith in allowing the other coin to be called unique. I would be furious if I purchased the other coin and found this out.

What time frame are you speaking of?
    When Heritage auctioned the PR68 example in 2019 it was listed as 1 of 2 known, not as unique.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-roosevelt-dimes/1975-10c-no-s-pr68-pcgs-pcgs-5254-/a/1299-4715.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

‘’Congrats to the seller but that person sand bagged this one to get $500K for the other knowing full well there was a second coin. That is the definition of bad faith in allowing the other coin to be called unique. I would be furious if I purchased the other coin and found this out.’’

The 1975 No S dime was always a “current 2-known” coin as far as I know. No public sale (or private sale best I know) ever represented it as anything better than that rarity.

Wondercoin

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

No sand bagging here. When the current owner of the MS68 coin bought it he very well knew that this coin existed. because of the publicity of his purchase (from Mitch through me) we truly believed that if a 3rd or more existed there would be a high probability of it being discovered. IMHO I don't believe that a 1 point grade difference should reflect much of a value difference between the 2 existing coins.

Nick Cascio

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew Fred Vollmer for a number of years and did regular business with him in the late 80s/early 90s. His shop was in Bloomington, not Chicago as stated in the listing (unless he started up there and moved to central IL later).

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

@Clackamas1 said:

@Clackamas, please provide some facts that back up your accusation of bad faith dealing. Multiple parties to the transaction have stated that the existence of two different examples was well known.

Mark. Thank you for “calling out” the baseless assertion of a six year board member who should know better. But, the absurdity of the claim on its face is the fact that the seller who allegedly “sandbagged” the buyer to get $500k by claiming it was “Unique” posted an article on their own website the very week of the purchase from Heritage and subsequent sale to the private collector using Nick as his agent, and (as I recall) participated in an interview with Numismatic News for a story on the second sale (arranged by Donn Perlman) and had this to say in pertinent part (among other talking points on the two 1975 No S coins) a week after the Heritage auction:

‘’In 1975, these two sets were purchased by a lucky California collector who ordered five sets from the Mint. She noticed that two the Roosevelt Dimes in her sets lacked the “S” Mint Mark and eventually had the two coins certified by ANACS. Both of these proof sets were eventually sold to coin dealer Fred Vollmer, a specialist in No S proof coins. Vollmer eventually sold one of these sets to a collector from Ohio for $18,200, who later had the dime certified as PR66 by PCGS. It is believed that the coin still resides with this collector to this day.

The second set, containing the coin purchased here, was later sold by Vollmer to a private collector for $38,550 in 1980. From there it was passed to a dealer who consigned it to Stack’s Bowers in 2011, where it sold for a record $349,600. Up until the sale on September 6th, 2019, this PCGS-PR68 example has remained in the collection of the 2011 winning bidder. The 1975 proof No S Roosevelt Dime is the rarest of all "S"-Less modern coins -- behind only the unique 1976 proof No S Eisenhower Dollar.’’

Once again, anyone interested can read the Article in its entirety on Justin’s website (www.monstercoinmart.com). Of course, the “$18,200” coin discussed above is the GC sale coin.

Wondercoin.

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭✭

Current bid is $210K with 52 days to go.

edited September 5, 2024 3:48PM

@wondercoin said:
    Mark. Thank you for “calling out” the baseless assertion of a six year board member who should know better. But, the absurdity of the claim on its face is the fact that the seller who allegedly “sandbagged” the buyer to get $500k by claiming it was “Unique” posted an article on their own website the very week of the purchase from Heritage and subsequent sale to the private collector using Nick as his agent, and (as I recall) participated in an interview with Numismatic News for a story on the second sale (arranged by Donn Perlman) and had this to say in pertinent part (among other talking points on the two 1975 No S coins) a week after the Heritage auction:

‘’In 1975, these two sets were purchased by a lucky California collector who ordered five sets from the Mint. She noticed that two the Roosevelt Dimes in her sets lacked the “S” Mint Mark and eventually had the two coins certified by ANACS. Both of these proof sets were eventually sold to coin dealer Fred Vollmer, a specialist in No S proof coins. Vollmer eventually sold one of these sets to a collector from Ohio for $18,200, who later had the dime certified as PR66 by PCGS. It is believed that the coin still resides with this collector to this day.

The second set, containing the coin purchased here, was later sold by Vollmer to a private collector for $38,550 in 1980. From there it was passed to a dealer who consigned it to Stack’s Bowers in 2011, where it sold for a record $349,600. Up until the sale on September 6th, 2019, this PCGS-PR68 example has remained in the collection of the 2011 winning bidder. The 1975 proof No S Roosevelt Dime is the rarest of all "S"-Less modern coins -- behind only the unique 1976 proof No S Eisenhower Dollar.’’

Once again, anyone interested can read the Article in its entirety on Justin’s website (www.monstercoinmart.com). Of course, the “$18,200” coin discussed above is the GC sale coin.

Wondercoin.

@Clackamas1 is active today but for whatever reason, still hasn’t bothered to explain the basis for what looks to have been a baseless assertion/accusation on his part.

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:

@Clackamas1 said:

No sand bagging here. When the current owner of the MS68 coin bought it he very well knew that this coin existed. because of the publicity of his purchase (from Mitch through me) we truly believed that if a 3rd or more existed there would be a high probability of it being discovered. IMHO I don't believe that a 1 point grade difference should reflect much of a value difference between the 2 existing coins.

Nick Cascio

Nick, thanks for clearing things up.

• ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

An update about the 1975 No S Dime in our auctions. The example in our auction is now CAC approved.

CAC recently added the six No S Proofs to their list of coins they accept for stickering review.

1968 - Proof Dime
    1970 - Proof Dime
    1971 - Proof Nickel
    1975 - Proof Dime
    1983 - Proof Dime
    1990 - Proof Lincoln Cent

It will be at the Tampa show next week at our table - and hopefully on TV as well - will share the video if that happens.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Sand bagging? If one did have more than one of anything exceedingly rare, the only way to get the best money out of them is to slow roll their intro. You can’t even get them slabbed together so as to not tip off via the census. That’s not unethical, that’s smart. Anyone with even a decent familiarity with this field knows populations can change at any time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file