Home Sports Talk

2024 college football thread

Comments

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭✭

Its official. The playoffs have been changed to the top 5 ranked conference champions and then the next 7 highest ranked teams. No conference has any automatic bid and the 4 highest ranked conference championship will get a bye. Realistically this means the Power 4 conference champions will almost always all get a bye, and the #12 ranked team will be left out every year since G5 teams when a #24 Liberty or something like that wins their conference. G5 teams rarely even break the top 12.

You will also see some champions that get a bye while higher ranked teams do not. With the power conferences not having divisions anymore that will help eliminate the chance of 4 loss teams like a Perdue getting to the conference championship which would cause chaos if they won, but its not out of the question that situations could happen where more than one top 12 team gets left out because of the automatic bids for the highest ranked conference champions.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

That means if Notre Dame is ranked #1 or in the top 4, they will not get a bye because they dont play in a conference. Too bad for them.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Notre Dame had the chance to block it since the vote had to be unanimous but they didnt. Theyve since mentioned that they can never get a bye but thats their own decision. Any conference would take them and theyre in conferences for everything but football. No one has any sympathy for them when its their own decision.

Realistically there probably really isnt a big chance of ND finishing in the top 4. This could push them to join a conference though

Missouri 14 OSU 3

During the talks with the management committee who is currently working on hammering out the details like revenue sharing and voting rights so they finalize the 7 billion dollar a year deal with ESPN for the playoffs starting in 2026 an interesting development has occurred. There have been talks of expanding the playoffs to 14 or 16 teams. The B!G wants the expansion and the SEC and the B!G both want multiple (probably 2 but will try for more) guaranteed spots.

If the SEC and B!G decide to start throwing their weight around together they will ultimately get what they want. Some of the other conferences seem open to the further expansion and have said now is the time to discuss it.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

"Realistically there probably really isnt a big chance of ND finishing in the top 4"

ND was ranked #3 in the AP rankings before bowl games in 2018, and #4 in the AP rankings before bowl games in 2020. That is twice in the last 6 years, plus a 5th place ranking in 2019. They have as good a chance of finishing in the top 4 as pretty much anyone.

Robb

@fergie23 said:
    "Realistically there probably really isnt a big chance of ND finishing in the top 4"

ND was ranked #3 in the AP rankings before bowl games in 2018, and #4 in the AP rankings before bowl games in 2020. That is twice in the last 6 years, plus a 5th place ranking in 2019. They have as good a chance of finishing in the top 4 as pretty much anyone.

Robb

2020 was a shortened season and ND played in the ACC that year where they got dominated in the conference championship game by Clemson. The B!G only played 6 games and the SEC which came the closest to a full season only played 10 games plus a championship.

ND hasnt had a talent composition higher than 10 since 2015. They have 1 5 star on their roster and its getting rarer for them to sign there. The AP where ND has a lot of alumni can vote them however they want, its the playoff committee that matters. They will punish ND for not having a conference championship and for having half of their schedule being cupcakes.

ND has like 4 real games this year and two bye weeks with no conference title. 1-4 ranked teams are teams that can win the national title, ND cant. The current playoff agreement runs for the next two years. The new deal where the format has not been finalized yet and is what they are working on so they can finalize the 7 billion a year deal with ESPN

ND has basically no chance of finishing in the top 4 in the next two years

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• burghmanburghman Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭

If ND is undefeated they’re ranked in the top 4. Not seeded in the top 4 for the playoffs, obviously, but they’ll be ranked there and possibly seeded 5 (or 6, if one of the teams higher in the top 4 lost their conference championship).

Jim

@burghman said:
    If ND is undefeated they’re ranked in the top 4. Not seeded in the top 4 for the playoffs, obviously, but they’ll be ranked there and possibly seeded 5 (or 6, if one of the teams higher in the top 4 lost their conference championship).

ND wont be ranked in the top 4 even if undefeated unless everyone else loses a ton of games. Their schedule is weak this year. A&M, FSU, Louisville, and USC are their only real games. A&M has a new coach and lost some elite guys, FSU and USC have new QBs and Riley at USC has never proven he can have a real defense, Louisville will benefit from the ACC but isnt anything special. ND has 2 bye weeks, no championship, Miami of OH/Navy/Army/Perdue/Northern Illinois/Stanford/UVA.Georgia Tech as as their other opponents

Multiple 1 loss teams would be ranked ahead of them in actual rankings not just seeding.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. Notre Dame is always ranked way higher than they should be even given the factors you mention. If ND is undefeated and there are 4 or fewer undefeated teams, they’ll be in the top 4.

Jim

8 is realistically the highest they could hope to get ranked this year by the playoff committee. Most of their schedule is really bad meanwhile the SEC and B!G teams schedules are significantly harder for the top teams. USC will probably struggle with the switch this year, Oregon seems like the only one that could be a threat in the B!G for the newly added teams. The SEC and B!G championship losers will very likely be ranked ahead of ND now that they got rid of divisions and its just the two best teams playing

We still have another transfer portal left where maybe ND does something unexpected but they have been bad in the portal. They werent even top 50 the first year it started and since they havent been higher than 36 and most of the top guys go in the first round of it not the spring round.

Theyre hoping Riely Leonard gets back to his 2022 form with Duke and he had injury issues last year. The playoff rankings take into account how competitive a game would be which is why FSU was left out last year after Travis broke his leg. 5-8 get home games in the first round of the playoffs which might help them because of TV ratings. There just isnt a lot for the playoff committee to like about this ND team when their best win will probably be against a team that has at least 2 losses, no conference championship, not a top 10 roster, and a weak schedule even if they do go undefeated

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Just to be clear, I’m not predicting the Irish to go undefeated. All I’m saying is that an undefeated Irish team will be top 4 unless there are more than 4 undefeated teams. Their name still means a ton and recent rankings show that they are given the benefit of every doubt and over-rated at every possible turn until the wheels inevitably fall off. If they’re undefeated, they’ll sit just behind the B1G and SEC undefeated teams, but ahead of the other conference undefeateds and ahead of 1 loss B1G and SEC teams.

We don’t agree and that’s fine - I’m B1G and you’re SEC so we already disagree on many things, so what’s one more?. It’s a moot point because they won’t go undefeated.

Jim

edited February 23, 2024 9:17PM

@burghman said:
    Just to be clear, I’m not predicting the Irish to go undefeated. All I’m saying is that an undefeated Irish team will be top 4 unless there are more than 4 undefeated teams. Their name still means a ton and recent rankings show that they are given the benefit of every doubt and over-rated at every possible turn until the wheels inevitably fall off. If they’re undefeated, they’ll sit just behind the B1G and SEC undefeated teams, but ahead of the other conference undefeateds and ahead of 1 loss B1G and SEC teams.

We don’t agree and that’s fine - I’m B1G and you’re SEC so we already disagree on many things, so what’s one more?. It’s a moot point because they won’t go undefeated.

I'm college football and baseball as my favorites. It just so happens that the SEC has been the king of both for the last two decades.

No one wants to talk about a bad Navy team that is who my actual favorite team is if I had to pick a team over the players and sports as Ive mentioned before

Georgia, Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, Michigan, OSU, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, would rank higher with 1 loss vs 0 for ND.

I dont believe in DJ so I would think an undefeated ND would be ranked higher than FSU with one loss, Clemson could be an interesting one since they open with Georgia and only one loss would mean wins over FSU and Louisville which would be common opponents and would likely have to beat one twice to have 1 loss if they only lost to Georgia

Missouri 14 OSU 3

2 minute warning and QB headsets about to get added to college football with the expected vote on it soon

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Being reported thats its expected in the next day or two that in 2016 the college football playoffs will be expanded to 14 teams as part of a new 6 year 7.8 billionish dollar deal with ESPN. All the terms arent known yet but its being said that the SEC and BIG will split 60 percent of the revenue from that equally, Big 12 around 17 percent, ACC around 14 percent and 1 percent to Notre Dame with the rest for the G5 conferences

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Clemson has filed a lawsuit against the ACC trying to get out of the conference. Now Clemson and Florida State both have separate lawsuits against the ACC trying to leave

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Elite tackle Kayden Proctor who transferred from Alabama to Iowa when Saban retired has informed Iowa he will be transferring back to Alabama when the portal reopens next month

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Ohio State spring game is tomorrow televised on FOX. Expecting a crowd of 90,000+

Ignore list -Basebal21

Some rule changes were made official. There is now a 2 minute warning ;ole the NFL, and 1 player at a time from each team will be allowed to have helmet communications. Essentially just copied the exact same NFL rules and procedures for both changes

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Early pre season college football rankings.

1. Georgia, 2. Ohio State, 3. Oregon, 4. Texas, 5. Alabama

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-rankings-georgia-ohio-state-oregon-lead-post-spring-top-25-ahead-of-2024-season/

Ignore list -Basebal21

Only 3 weeks away from the season. A new era of playoffs will begin.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking Michigan will be taking a serious step back this season, I don't believe they reload as fast as Georgia and Alabama

Looking forward to Football

Michigan should lose at least 3 games this year regardless of what punishments are coming. They are lucky they play in the B!G where Iowa doesnt know offense exists, Franklin cant beat a ranked team, and Riley has never had a competent defense in his career despite having 4 and 5 stars all over the place.

Ryan Day is probably getting fired if Michigan beats OSU this year. OSU is the heavy favorite for the division with Oregon being seen as the only real threat

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited August 5, 2024 2:59PM

@Basebal21 said:
    Michigan should lose at least 3 games this year regardless of what punishments are coming. They are lucky they play in the B!G where Iowa doesnt know offense exists.

Yet the BIG TEN was the best conference last year. Best bowl record and National champs. Now add Oregon, Washington, USC, UCLA and you have the only conference that's coast to coast.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:
    Michigan should lose at least 3 games this year regardless of what punishments are coming. They are lucky they play in the B!G where Iowa doesnt know offense exists.

Yet the BIG TEN was the best conference last year. Best bowl record and National champs. Now add Oregon, Washington, USC, UCLA.

OSU lost to Missouri
    Penn State Lost to Ole Miss
    Iowa got obliterated by Tennessee with a Freshman making his first start at QB and they just ran it down Iowas throats all game
    None of the games were the B!G went 1-3 against the SEC were very close other than the Michigan game where Alabama lost the game more than Michigan won it

Oregon is the only actual real addition. Washington will be trash. Riley has never had a defense, UCLA isnt good and lost their coach

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Always nonsense from you. Ohio State game was close. Missouri didnt score a point until the 4th quarter. Washington was the National runner up. SEC best team lost to the BIG TEN best team.

BIG TEN had the best bowl record. Also all 3 games the BIG lost were played in the south. That's an unfair advantage.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:
    Always nonsense from you. Ohio State game was close. Missouri didnt score a point until the 4th quarter. Washington was the National runner up. SEC best team lost to the BIG TEN best team.

BIG TEN had the best bowl record. Also all 3 games the BIG lost were played in the south. That's an unfair advantage.

Missouri 14 OSU 3
    Ole Miss 38 Penn State 25
    Tennessee 35 Iowa 0

Tennessee even had over 230 yards rushing yet somehow B!G schools couldnt figure out how to score on them

The B!G was trash last year it was a 3 team conference. They had OSU Michigan and kind of Penn State. Penn State beats up teams theyre more talented than and then gets the yips and loses everytime someone is on their level. Franklins record against ranked teams and especially top 10 teams is pathetic.

OSU has a Ryan Day problem. Seems like a nice guy but OSU has been the most talented team in the B!G by far and he cant win anything. Have fuin with a center that cant snap the ball in shotgun. Georgia was the best SEC team and OSU was the best B!G team. Saban had Georgias number and the only 2 games they have lost in 3 years were to Saban and Bama. Day started on 3rd base and has moved back to 23nd or 1st losing to Michigan every year.

Washington is going to be trash. They lost all the players and all the coaches. Theyre TCU 2.0

The SEC was the best conference as proven by facts and it really wasnt close

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited August 5, 2024 4:22PM

Penn State beat Iowa 31-0 when the game actually meant something, early season when both teams were undefeated. Ran up 215 rushing yards. They scored on them AND they rushed on them - but you claim only the SEC could do that. Sorry, before you correct me, I’ll correct myself… you said the B1G couldn’t do that.

Seems like they did just as well as Tennessee if not better given that the game had real stakes, unlike the bowl game.

Jim

edited August 5, 2024 4:30PM

@burghman said:
    Penn State beat Iowa 31-0 when the game actually meant something, early season when both teams were undefeated. Ran up 215 rushing yards. They scored on them AND they rushed on them - but you claim only the SEC could do that. Sorry, before you correct me, I’ll correct myself… you said the B1G couldn’t do that.

Seems like they did just as well as Tennessee if not better given that the game had real stakes, unlike the bowl game.

I said it was a 3 team conference but Penn State rarely beats teams that are just as good or better than them. Iowa wasnt a good team.. anyone with talent dominated them. They were just an example of them being considered an elite B!G team of how down the conference was last year

Theres no way someone can objectively look at the sport and say the B!G was the best conference. Facts simply dont support that

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:
    Tennessee even had over 230 yards rushing yet somehow B!G schools couldnt figure out how to score on them

I was refuting your exact quote above.

Jim

edited August 5, 2024 4:55PM

I have to correct myself now.

The B!G was actually 1-4 against the SEC. I completely forgot about LSU beating Wisconsin even with their Heisman QB sitting out

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect Michigan to take a big step back as well. New coach, new quarterback, tough schedule, the NCAA sniffing around, the whole nine yards. I'm thinking 9-4, something in that area.

And I don't care. 15-0 last season, I'll it.

The facts - BIG TEN had the best bowl record out of any power 5 conference despite most bowl games being played in the south in which basebal guy ignores.

BIG TEN won National championship beating Alabama on a neutral field. BIG TEN sent Nick Saban into retirement.

BIG TEN was clearly the best conference in 2023.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@Basebal21 said:
    I have to correct myself now.

The B!G was actually 1-4 against the SEC. I completely forgot about LSU beating Wisconsin even with their Heisman QB sitting out

WOW i didnt know Maryland was a SEC team?

DECEMBER 30, 2023.... Music city bowl:(bowl played in the south) .... Maryland 31 Auburn 13

As usual, more lies and nonsense from the SEC homer :D

Ignore list -Basebal21

Auburn, a team that got destroyed by Maryland, was one fluke pass away from beating the SEC champion.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited August 6, 2024 11:16AM

@coolstanley said:
    The facts - BIG TEN had the best bowl record out of any power 5 conference despite most bowl games being played in the south in which basebal guy ignores.

BIG TEN won National championship beating Alabama on a neutral field. BIG TEN sent Nick Saban into retirement.

BIG TEN was clearly the best conference in 2023.

Missouri 14 OSU 3
    Ole Miss 38 Penn State 25
    Tennessee 35 Iowa 0
    LSU 35 Wisconsin 31

The 4th best team in the SEC beat the most talented team from the B!G

Saban didnt retire because of Michigan he retired because hes really old and with the transfer portal its a lot more work having to recruit your own team every year as well as other players. Same reason why Chip Kelly went back to being a coordinator instead of staying as the head coach at UCLA. College head coach is the hardest job in sports.

OSU fans must really be down bad to be celebrating Michigan

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Not that it really matters but Harbaugh is basically banned from college football now. 4 year show cause penalty and thats just for the illegal recruiting in 2020 not even the sign stealing. Hell obviously be fine with all the money hes made but hes basically unhireable in college now

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Not that it really matters but Harbaugh is basically banned from college football now. 4 year show cause penalty and thats just for the illegal recruiting in 2020 not even the sign stealing. Hell obviously be fine with all the money hes made but hes basically unhireable in college now

The show-cause it's no big deal since it ends in 2028. Presumably he'll be in the NFL until then.

The big deal is the one year suspension he has to serve if any school signs him. THAT will kill his return to college.

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

The show-cause it's no big deal since it ends in 2028. Presumably he'll be in the NFL until then.

The big deal is the one year suspension he has to serve if any school signs him. THAT will kill his return to college.

Yea it really doesnt matter much. His college days are over and the biggest penalty still hasnt come for the Conner stuff. Hes made over 100 million so hell be fine.

Michigan is looking at a significant penalty though

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2024 7:01AM

Texas just lost CJ Baxter, their starting RB who was projected to be really good this year for the season to a torn up knee

Never like hearing about injuries. They have the talent to replace him, but with him going down Texas will now have all new skill position players this year other than Ewers.

One thing that doesnt get talked about enough from the House Lawsuit is the roster limits that will be coming in the future where injuries and depth could become a real issue at some positions

Missouri 14 OSU 3

The first AP top 25 poll was released today.

1. Georgia
    2. Ohio State
    3. Oregon
    4. Texas
    5. Alabama
    6. Ole Miss
    7. Notre Dame
    8. Penn State
    9. Michigan
    10. Florida State
      https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40751760/ap-top-25-reaction-2024-25-college-football-predictions

Ignore list -Basebal21

Another Texas running back got hurt today. No word on how serious

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Unbelievable that a team(Washington) that finished 14-1 last year is unranked. Really proves the SEC bias.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Unbelievable that a team(Washington) that finished 14-1 last year is unranked. Really proves the SEC bias.

I’m on board with the SEC bias but the Huskies have a ton of turnover and a new coaching staff. I think their whole starting o line will be new. And I think a lot of people underestimate Penix. They could pull it together but I think 8 wins will be tough.

@bgr said:

@coolstanley said:

I’m on board with the SEC bias but the Huskies have a ton of turnover and a new coaching staff. I think their whole starting o line will be new. And I think a lot of people underestimate Penix. They could pull it together but I think 8 wins will be tough.

Michigan football lost almost its entire starting offense and many key defensive players, and a new coaching staff. Yet they're in the top 10. When was the last time a SEC team finished with one loss and then unranked in the next preseason poll? I'll wait.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

AP Poll has 9 SEC teams in the TOP 20.
    The BIG has 4..........bahahaha..... :D

@Bullsitter said:
    AP Poll has 9 SEC teams in the TOP 20.
    The BIG has 4..........bahahaha..... :D

1st time in history the sec had that many ranked. BIG TEN has 6 in the top 25.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited August 13, 2024 5:24AM

Double post

Ignore list -Basebal21

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Double post

Calm down, it's just a preseason poll...... B)