Home Precious Metals
Options

COSTCO

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stock is going crazy ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that Costco's marketing team must be pretty good at market analysis. They've been pretty successful. That being the case, it appears that the market for gold is healthy.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think its a good thing and i wish them well

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

They went crazy b/c they declared a $15 special divy AND blew the doors off the numbers.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me wonder what percentage of the gold sales are to housewives and husbands hiding money from their spouses, businesses hiding money from the government, and employees embezzling money from their employers. If a substantial percentage, Costco is in a position to increase their margins.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for size reference: each pallet's worth ~ $30,000,000 so they sold about 3 pallets worth.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

At what price? I hope they did not rip off the customers.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

they sell them with a lower ask than the competition

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2023 5:44PM

The Costcoers will be shocked when they go to sell those bars and realize they will be offered well under spot. Some call it tuition ......or I suppose at the time of sale spot could be higher than now. Time will tell. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

You need a membership to see the price online

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

currently no gold bars in their inventory.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the majority of the public who are interested in obtaining gold, see the ads for gold everywhere, and figure those sellers are shysters.

So they see Costco as at least a reputable source, and load up as much as they can.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    So they see Costco as at least a reputable source, and load up as much as they can.

It's a small bar and it's a small number of buyers, many of who probably are veteran coin or gold collectors.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:
    The Costcoers will be shocked when they go to sell those bars and realize they will be offered well under spot. ...

Well, yes I suppose, if they go to you.
    But if they go elsewhere, they will do better.

Bars have the lowest resale value out of all PM products, well except for low grade fantasy tokens. lol THKS!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:
    The Costcoers will be shocked when they go to sell those bars and realize they will be offered well under spot. ...

Well, yes I suppose, if they go to you.
    But if they go elsewhere, they will do better.

Bars have the lowest resale value out of all PM products, well except for low grade fantasy tokens. lol THKS!

The vintage-style silver bar market is pretty hot.

I've never offered any gold bars.
    But I have made a number of different silver bars.
    In the last six months, every one of them that has sold on eBay has gone for $100 to $200 per ounce:
    https://ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=%27carr%27+bar&_sacat=11116&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

• Options

Looks like about spot +50 or about 2.5% premium

• Options

Info above from CNBC

• Options

If blitzdude knew what some of DCarr’s silver 1 ozers sold for, he’d be saving for the next silver overstrike instead of farmland.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Putting Costco's gold sales into perspective, their profit margin on those sales is less than 2%. Meanwhile, their TTM PE ratio is 60 and forward PE is over 40.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2023 11:11AM

2% of $100,000,000 is $2,000,000. That can’t be bad for their P/E, although PE=60 is way high, especially for retail.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2024 7:10AM

• Options
    pmbugpmbug Posts: 75 ✭✭

Costco has started selling 20 coin tubes of Silver Eagles. Same deal as with the gold bars - only from their website and they sell out very fast when inventory is available.

Yelling at clouds on pmbug.com

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the return policy?
    If gold takes a hair cut how many people will be inline with returns?

• Options

The big question, Pamp or Rand

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options

no bars. wait for the maples to return

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:
    What's the return policy?
    If gold takes a hair cut how many people will be inline with returns?

No return on the gold purchases.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

Maples are there now, for $2069.99. Below spot at present.

• Options

silver eagles are back for 589.99, but they can be bought cheaper on ebay from a reputable dealer.

• Options

@derryb said:
    silver eagles are back for 589.99, but they can be bought cheaper on ebay from a reputable dealer.

These seem to be lasting much longer. I’m not buying silver at present, but the tax on these make them very expensive (in CA). The thing I like about them is that they’re sealed. I tried to get a sealed tube from dealers some time ago, but was told they didn’t come sealed like this. I guess someone fibbed to me.

• Options

mint does not seal ASE tubes, only the boxes they come in. Sealing of individual ASE tubes is done by third party sellers.

• Options

@derryb said:
    mint does not seal ASE tubes, only the boxes they come in. Sealing of individual ASE tubes is done by third party sellers.

Hmmm. The picture is gone now, but it looked like there was a mint seal on each tube.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

1 oz gold maples available, limit 2

Got 2 @2018.50 ea after 2% costco card holder rebate. That's less than spot! B)

My brother told me about this. Said he missed out. I said I told you guys to buy gold when it was $300 oz. He got this stupid look on his face…….well maybe his regular look.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    2% of $100,000,000 is $2,000,000. That can’t be bad for their P/E, although PE=60 is way high, especially for retail.

The P/E isn't 60x and they aren't considered a pure-play retail play.

• Options

I don't follow any stocks, so I was following what RobM had said.

60 PE is high anyway.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

that's a 3rd party seal and wrapper

• Options

maples back again for members

• Options

Out of stock here.

They did have the PAMP bars earlier today and they went out of stock pretty quick. Would be interesting to know how many they sell in a batch. They had both the Lady Fortuna and the year of the dragon ones. Bars don't interest me, they had them listed at $2099.

• Options

Walmart has joined in but not at competitive prices

• Options

the items i've found on walmart.com are sold by apmex. i restricted to only sold by walmart and found none

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw some bars back today, will wait for maples.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

Costco currently has Gold Maples listed again. $2079.99 with spot at $2040. Not as good of the below spot deal a week or so back but still currently cheaper than any other retail outlet. RGDS!

• Options

i think availability must be regional because they never went OOS for me

• Options
    edited January 3, 2024 4:58PM

@blitzdude said:
    Costco currently has Gold Maples listed again. $2079.99 with spot at $2040. Not as good of the below spot deal a week or so back but still currently cheaper than any other retail outlet. RGDS!

Couple of dollars below spot if one gets their 2% rebate.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Costco currently has Rand 1 Ounce Gold bars listed for 2099, with the 2% rebate puts then right around spot.

• Options

Do gold purchases count towards exec membership CB?

• Options

bars bring lower bid prices & rand is new. you will likely get a bid of spot or +$10 for them

• Options

I've been waiting for Costco to carry the silver eagles again so I could get a picture of the seal on the tube. Here it is. You can see why I thought it might be a Mint seal, as it's labeled as such.

• Options

Here's another pic from their site. If this is done at the mint, it's something new. Their price of
    $599 is a bit high.

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

My understanding is they sell these and are sold out immediately as stated above