Comments

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:
    Baseball:

Hockey:

Haven't had time to touch football. Travel day. Maybe while killing time at the airport. 🙂

Be Safe in your travels... :)
    Yes today's footballer one was Pretty Tough... :)

Thanks! I got here entirely too early, so I had a couple pops at the bar and worked on this grid. Definitely some tough ones, but I did all right. 🙂

• Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used as many old timers as I could think of today, not too tough since all the teams have been around forever.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really pretty easy to come up with all HoFers today. Not sure how much better the other two options would be for Reds 40+ HRs. I had already used one, though.

I'm not sure I've seen a grid where one player could be used in 5 boxes before.

• Options

• Options

Don’t know the Rockies all that well and they’re too new to have a history of great players. For football using McCown and Fitzpatrick is basically cheating.

• Options

I'm kind of glad I clicked on "Sports Talk" today... :)

• Options

Awesome Grid Work....

• Options

• Options

Right column very difficult to get a decent rarity score on if you're committed to using HoFers whenever possible. I'm happy with my 169 today with 6. And again, my go-to 1984 Tigers help so much.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭✭

@nauvcire1 said:

@countdouglas said:
    I just checked it out and played a grid. I would agree it was a neat idea for a game. Are the grids usually of similar difficulty, or are some impossibly hard? I got 9/9 on this one, but had to think pretty hard to come up with a player for the Tigers/Rockies.

I just started playing this week & they’ve all been about the same level of difficulty… been doing my best not to have look anything up. I missed a BAL .300 hitter by choosing Brady Anderson .. I swear there was a season where he was flirting w/.400 most of the season (?) . Or am I old ??? Anyway , he never hit over .300

Gwynn was the last one to threaten .400. He was hitting .396 when the strike happened in 1994 and hit over .360 the next year as well. You might be thinking of 1996 when Anderson had 50 HRs and for a time it looked like he could be challenging the single season HR record

• Options

Messed up twice, put Walter Johnson for 200k with the Orioles but I got my teams mixed up. He played for the Washington team that became the Twins. The St. Louis Browns became the Orioles, remembers that right after for the Rube Waddell pick. Then I was shocked again on the Orioles that Jim Palmer never had 200k season (best was 199).

I realize I could have used Walter in the Twins spot but I had already moved on.

• Options

• Options

Finally had a chance to work on some grids today, so I did football and hockey.

Football - Absolutely could think of no Texan/Buc so I just guessed the usual suspect. 😂

Hockey

• Options

Went with some super deep cuts on baseball. Football was very easy with the Browns as an option.

• Options

• Options

@Browns1981 said:

Went with some super deep cuts on baseball. Football was very easy with the Browns as an option.

Amazing picks there especially on baseball! 👏🏻 Those are deep indeed. A 0.01%. 😮

• Options

Pretty easy to fill today's grid with HoFers, though the Braves Gold Glove really blew up my rarity score. I'm astounded that there were 1376 All-Stars who once hit .300 and 4% get that wrong. Maybe they saved it for later and ran out of guesses??

In any event, was excited to be able to use the first member elected to the HoF who would be out of place in a Hall of Very Good.

• Options

Finally had a chance to do the grids today.

Football - A struggle for me! I quite stink with the Browns and Giants.

Baseball - So many options for all of these boxes! Especially that .300/All-Star one.

Hockey - Rushed today and went with mostly top picks but finished it. 🙂

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@Browns1981 said:

Amazing picks there especially on baseball! 👏🏻 Those are deep indeed. A 0.01%. 😮

I’ve been reading about these guys a lot so it’s sticking with me. Just going down the list of HOFers and saying “ok he played for the Reds, Braves and Cubs “ and trying to burn that into memory.

• Options

@Browns1981 said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@Browns1981 said:

I’ve been reading about these guys a lot so it’s sticking with me. Just going down the list of HOFers and saying “ok he played for the Reds, Braves and Cubs “ and trying to burn that into memory.

Yep. That's what I've been doing, too. Very difficult with expansion teams and the more recent the more difficult.

• Options
    edited September 9, 2023 3:22PM

@daltex said:

@Browns1981 said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@Browns1981 said:

Yep. That's what I've been doing, too. Very difficult with expansion teams and the more recent the more difficult.

Lot's of TWIB, Lot's of Sporting News, Lot's of football & baseball digest, Lot's of old NFL films and Too Many cards for me... :) I forgot the :)

• Options

The two football grids took about 5 minutes combined. I did all Browns on the bonus grid and got an overall score of 2! 7 of those guys are HOFers and all are commonly known players. Baseball took a long time with those Diamondback guys since it’s not an ancient franchise.

• Options

Gave up on football today.

• Options

My grids for today:

Baseball - Blew 3 guesses on the last 2 columns and never got around to try any Pittsburgh guys.

Football

Hockey

• Options

@Browns1981 said:

Gave up on football today.

It's really bad that I've never heard of two players who got 53%!

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:
    My grids for today:

Baseball - Blew 3 guesses on the last 2 columns and never got around to try any Pittsburgh guys.

Curious as to who you guessed incorrectly.

• Options

• Options

• Options

@Browns1981 said:

Nice one with the Diesel... :)

• Options

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:
    My grids for today:

Curious as to who you guessed incorrectly.

Umm... let me think. I feel like I might have guessed Jack McDowell for Sox pitcher, Marquis Grissom for a Nats/Expos hitter, and probably a Sox hitter I'm not recalling at the moment. Possibly Robin Ventura.

• Options

Today's efforts (or lack thereof):

Baseball - I melted on those 300 win/save guys.

Football

Hockey

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:
    Today's efforts (or lack thereof):

Baseball - I melted on those 300 win/save guys.

Oh Wow... :)

• Options

I put King Kelly in the Reds/Cubs slot but it turns out he played for a different defunct Cincinnati Reds

• Options

• Options

Baseball

Football

Hockey

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

i can't believe it took me this long to open up this thread. hella fun, but it was a total mindf**k. i got to the very last square and was gonna throw the nearest object if Peter Warrick didn't play for the Seahawks. (i was confident, but not 100%.)

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    i can't believe it took me this long to open up this thread. hella fun, but it was a total mindf**k. i got to the very last square and was gonna throw the nearest object if Peter Warrick didn't play for the Seahawks. (i was confident, but not 100%.)

Nice grid! That’s funny about Warrick… I was having the same debate because I was pretty sure he played for Seattle. I didn’t want to chance though. Looks like he was a good pick.

• Options

Easy enough to do baseball today with all five teams going back to 1903. Was able to do 9 HoFers with a rarity ~16%, burning more than half of that on the Dodgers ROY.

I don't know much about football, but unless there are stats categories wouldn't it be possible to get a single digit rarity score almost every day using only offensive linemen?

• Options

@daltex said:
    Easy enough to do baseball today with all five teams going back to 1903. Was able to do 9 HoFers with a rarity ~16%, burning more than half of that on the Dodgers ROY.

I don't know much about football, but unless there are stats categories wouldn't it be possible to get a single digit rarity score almost every day using only offensive linemen?

Sure, if you can think of obscure players who moved around. Pretty easy with old timer baseball players who played 20 years. Not so easy with backup linemen who were out of the league in 4 years.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Scoreboard operator at Fenway is playing publicly during a rain delay. Seems like a guy you might not want to play for money.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    Scoreboard operator at Fenway is playing publicly during a rain delay. Seems like a guy you might not want to play for money.

That's Cool... :)

• Options

• Options

was rolling along today until I got to Eagles-Chargers. I knew Sproles was going to have a big number attached to him, but my brain was starting to seep out of my ears, so I capitulated.

and the only reason I knew about the funky QB is because I'm a lifer Bears fan and I remember him playing for half the league after he left

• Options

and then we come to hardball. I'm not a baseball savant by any stretch, so I'm actually quite proud of this grid. I was ALL OVER BUDDY BELL. :D

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1095540/jim-kern-or-buddy-bell#latest

• Options

Baseball:

Football - Jim McMahon fits in the whole first column! Where to put him? 🙂

Hockey:

• Options

• Options