Home Sports Talk
Options

Cool game to play to test your baseball knowledge

nauvcire1nauvcire1 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
edited September 6, 2023 7:23AM in Sports Talk

https://www.immaculategrid.com/

I’ve been kinda addicted to this game ever since a friend sent me this link ( I promise this isn’t spam !! ) .. I think of all my 80-90s cards when choosing who to select for each category

Comments

• Options
    edited July 7, 2023 3:55PM

Just so you don’t think it’s a link to some spam site , this is an example of the game

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just checked it out and played a grid. I would agree it was a neat idea for a game. Are the grids usually of similar difficulty, or are some impossibly hard? I got 9/9 on this one, but had to think pretty hard to come up with a player for the Tigers/Rockies.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I just checked it out and played a grid. I would agree it was a neat idea for a game. Are the grids usually of similar difficulty, or are some impossibly hard? I got 9/9 on this one, but had to think pretty hard to come up with a player for the Tigers/Rockies.

I just started playing this week & they’ve all been about the same level of difficulty… been doing my best not to have look anything up. I missed a BAL .300 hitter by choosing Brady Anderson .. I swear there was a season where he was flirting w/.400 most of the season (?) . Or am I old ??? Anyway , he never hit over .300

The lower % of players chosen nets the higher score

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

My son and I look up player stats all the time, and pretty interesting to see the numbers some of the old timers put up. Guys like Foxx, Hornsby, Gehrig had some monster stats. Frank Robinson and Banks as well from their era.

Neat thing was one day on FB a guy was stating Berra was the best catcher of all time which is absurd with Bench out there. Looked up Berra’s numbers and obviously WS numbers with 9 rings is amazing, and career stats are decent. What I don’t understand is he won 3 MVP awards, yet never led the league in any one statistical category his entire career 😳 How do you win 3 MVP awards but don’t have the stats to back it up, and it is not like he was a defensive whiz behind the dish. You would be amazed at the lack of MLB talent in the 1940’s - look at MVP voting and it is brutal.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

Playing now, stuck on the Rockies/Tigers with 1 guess left and 8/9 otherwise. If you guess wrong, does it end the round? Guess I'll find out soon enough!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

Yes, the round ends if you miss a last guess when I couldn't come up with a Tiger/Rockies...two teams I don't pay much attention to these days.

I hope it is late enough that I am not spoiling it for anyone. I ended up 8/9 with a rarity score of 254. My "best" square was 0.03% using Andy Messersmith for Yankees/Braves and my most common was 74% for Miggy 40+ HRs/Tigers. Ruth is only 9% for 40HR/Yank? That is surprising, but then again Judge was most popular answer and thinking Mantle or Maris was probably #2/#3. You can tell I am older...

My guesses:

Most popular:

• Options

@mrmopar said:

@countdouglas said:

Playing now, stuck on the Rockies/Tigers with 1 guess left and 8/9 otherwise. If you guess wrong, does it end the round? Guess I'll find out soon enough!

There are several icons to click on that give you the rules of the game, as well as stats for the day, including the grid filled in with the most popular answers of the day. I'm not going to post that one in case people want to play, but here are a few screenshots of the rules and stats.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

That Rockie/Tiger thing nearly scuttled me, too.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I just heard about it a couple of days ago and started playing it. Boog Sciambi was talking about it during the Cubs game and how much fun it is.

• Options

The Blue Jays got me today. I only got 7/9. I got burned on one too. Thought I was using Jim Hunter for an answer, but didn't look close enough. It was a different Jim Hunter and I ended up with a miss. Catfish is how he comes up, so guessing the player names are coming from a site like baseball-reference (who has Hunter under "Catfish" Hunter, not Jim Hunter). Enjoying it, but might be hard to remember to come back each day.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

I got too cute today with the "W" logo - combined the the "T". I was thinking Senators, not Nationals - i.e. a 71/72 (I went with Dick Bosman). D'oh.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not argue there was a greatest catcher in the history of MLB. I would feel better with a list of about 15 and then feel bad about some that did not make the list. For those that do like to have the theoretical player position GOAT discussions, it is not absurd to argue that Berra was the greatest catcher. Further, the War effort really impacted MLB in a way that today most have either overlooked or are simply not interested enough to take a deep dive into various players who had talent but put their country first. One might possibly be amazed to read about players like John Kelly "Buddy" Lewis - among others. I would not want to be the one to tell Walker Cooper that there was a lack of MLB talent in the 1940s.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a pro football version?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    The Blue Jays got me today. I only got 7/9. I got burned on one too. Thought I was using Jim Hunter for an answer, but didn't look close enough. It was a different Jim Hunter and I ended up with a miss. Catfish is how he comes up, so guessing the player names are coming from a site like baseball-reference (who has Hunter under "Catfish" Hunter, not Jim Hunter). Enjoying it, but might be hard to remember to come back each day.

The exact same thing happened to me with Jim Hunter! When I got it wrong I was shocked, I was sure he was a 20 game winner.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2023 5:03PM

@2dueces said:
    Is there a pro football version?

Looks like it !

https://dynasty-daddy.com/gridiron

• looks like it’s only players from 1999 to present .
  • Options

Looks like there is one for the NHL as well

https://www.puckdoku.com/

• Options
    MarshallFaulk28MarshallFaulk28 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@nauvcire1 said:

Thanks for this!

The football one is disappointing as you can only pick guys back to 1999. My football brain immediately starts thinking of guys from the 80s and 90s.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@nauvcire1 said:

Thanks for this!

The football one is disappointing as you can only pick guys back to 1999. My football brain immediately starts thinking of guys from the 80s and 90s.

For me it is 50s - 90s baseball. Like figuring out Indians and 3,000 K would fit for Carlton / he played with Cleveland about 10 minutes.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. Fun game and a nice diversion each AM. I struggle with the expansion teams as my knowledge is stronger in the 80s than any other time period. Trying to remember enough Washington Nationals to fill in their grid the other day did me in! Guessed Killebrew for the Nationals and Royals hoping it would count the Senators.

• Options

Am I misunderstanding this game? For the yellow spot below, I guessed Mike Piazza. He was on the Marlins, and he had 100+ RBI in a season. It doesn’t mean he had to have that stat while a member of the Marlins does it? Why was that answer wrong?

• Options

Any of the awards or milestones have to be attained while with the team in question.

• Options

• Options

@countdouglas

Thanks. Doesn’t really make sense given the structure of the game, but good to know.

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

I had Braves-Indians the other day and it would not take Gaylord Perry. Some flaws are expected.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

I'm bad at this game. 70s 80s guy. Average maybe 5 or 6.
    I'm better with the stats than the teams. And my picks are often less than 1%.
    For example, Dodgers/Mets and my first thought was Gary Carter. 0.2%? Really?
    When the popular picks show up at the end, I'm like, who are those guys.

• Options
    MarshallFaulk28MarshallFaulk28 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    When the popular picks show up at the end, I'm like, who are those guys.

haha - I find I'm clueless with some of the modern popular picks also.

• Options

Baseball-Reference bought them out. Good for whomever created this. I hope they made a nice little windfall. It is a fun game.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

>

LOL, I picked Bill Sudakis on that one…

.007%

• Options

Let’s see who can register the least popular answer…by answering Chuck Goggin for Atlanta /Pittsburgh I scored a .002%….can anybody beat that?

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

My current knowledge is sad with regard to teams players appeared with, mainly because I stopped buying packs of cards in the late 90s! I try to complete the grid using pre 2000 knowledge. It works well until I get teams like the D-Backs or Marlins!

Today, for the HOF line, my highest % was 8, so proud of that. I only matched 1 most popular, with Reds/Pirates, the Dasve Parker answer like shown above.

Apparently I missed one with the Dodgers this week and now I am mad!

• Options

Hmmm...I didn't know Cy Young pitched for the Guardians.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    @countdouglas

Thanks. Doesn’t really make sense given the structure of the game, but good to know.

I'm curious why you think that doesn't really make sense? To me it makes perfect sense. It's also explained directly in the rules when you play.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@PaulMaul said:
    @countdouglas

I'm curious why you think that doesn't really make sense? To me it makes perfect sense. It's also explained directly in the rules when you play.

Just because the idea of the grid is meeting both of two given conditions. This rule incorporates a third condition.

• Options

Still can’t get a 9 for 9. Really enjoy this game each day.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Still can’t get a 9 for 9. Really enjoy this game each day.

If you prioritize being right over getting a competitive score, 9/9 becomes much easier. For example today, I was pretty sure Jermaine Dye hit 40 dingers with the White Sox, but chickened out and went with Frank Thomas.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I've been playing everyday since you posted.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:

If you prioritize being right over getting a competitive score, 9/9 becomes much easier. For example today, I was pretty sure Jermaine Dye hit 40 dingers with the White Sox, but chickened out and went with Frank Thomas.

It's absolutely more fun for me prioritizing the score. Like you I chickened out and went with Frank Thoamas, but I don't know modern baseball anywhere near as well as the old-timers. So I try for the lowest probability I can, and until today I'd reached too far and missed at least one entirely. But today, other than Thomas, I kicked butt:

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

If you're completely stumped and need a guess, these guys played for the most teams.
    Edwin Jackson 2003-2019 14 teams
    Roosevelt Davis 1924-1945 13 teams
    Octavio Dotel 1999-2013 13 teams
    And 8 others that played on 12 teams.
    I'm waiting for the grid where you can put in 1 player in every teams square. LOL

• Options

@RonSportscards said:
    If you're completely stumped and need a guess, these guys played for the most teams.
    I'm waiting for the grid where you can put in 1 player in every teams square. LOL

I’m pretty sure you can only use a given player once

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@GreenSneakers said:

It's absolutely more fun for me prioritizing the score. Like you I chickened out and went with Frank Thoamas, but I don't know modern baseball anywhere near as well as the old-timers. So I try for the lowest probability I can, and until today I'd reached too far and missed at least one entirely. But today, other than Thomas, I kicked butt:

SPOILER ALERT!!!

What the hell, man?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@RonSportscards said:

I’m pretty sure you can only use a given player once

Yup, looks that way.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@Tabe said:

@PaulMaul said:
    @countdouglas

Just because the idea of the grid is meeting both of two given conditions. This rule incorporates a third condition.

Ok. I don't see it as a third condition. I can sort of see how you're interpreting it that way.

Thanks for answering.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@GreenSneakers said:

You did that with no reference?

• Options

Wow. I was so proud to come up with Frank Howard for Washington/L.A., but nope. I guess they were looking for Nationals not Senators.

• Options

@CardGeek said:

@dallasactuary said:

@GreenSneakers said:

It's believable. All of those guys are "name" players. Here's my best grid so far. Knowing the Royals and junk wax baseball cards helped me out tremendously.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@CardGeek said:

@dallasactuary said:

@GreenSneakers said:

It's believable. All of those guys are "name" players. Here's my best grid so far. Knowing the Royals and junk wax baseball cards helped me out tremendously.

Wathan is astonishing. A 32 year old catcher stole 36 bases, and with only 502 PA! Add to that only two older Royals qualified.

• Options

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

1983 was the year I really got into collecting and remember that John Wathan card well. All those record breakers to start the Topps set were the superstars of the day. Except Wathan. And Milton. And Trillo. I always liked Lance Parrish but not him either. I guess really it was just Rickey.