• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@galaxy27 said:
    this one had potential...............until it didn't

Looks like a pretty solid grid to me! 👍🏻

thanks......it's that big donut hole staring at me lol

you had a good one too!

Thanks. My donut had a hole but someone took a couple of bites around the edges. 😂

• Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Baseball - After blowing some guesses on the ROY boxes, I gave up on the rest of the grid.

Football:

Hockey - ended up with a 🍩

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

when in doubt, try Fitzmagic

and i took one look at the baseball grid today and decided that i didn't want to embarrass myself

• Options
    edited September 26, 2023 1:18PM

i want a strictly stats and accolades grid........man that last column looks sexy 😅

(full disclosure: i was a hardcore Bulls fan in the 80s, even before MJ)

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I haven’t been through the whole thread so sorry if this has been brought up. But I think the developers put Easter eggs in their design.

For example, in todays grid I have three answers where the player is named Willie. I’m trying to see if I can get more, I bet there is.

There have been other grids I’m sure you’ve all seen where one player could be correct in four or more boxes.

There is more depth to this than appears at the surface. Or maybe I’m just a bored, wacky old conspiracy theorist. Likely both.

• Options

I love these days when you can use multiple pre-1900 players

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m starting to hate this game. Was working on some previous grids and put down Jim Palmer as an oriole with a 200 K season. Nope. Checked his career numbers and 199 was his career high🤬🤬
    Also not very good at players who played for 2 different teams

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Baseball was a true embarrassment today. I'm shocked Will Clark is neither in the HOF nor had 200 hits in a season. Then I had other blown guesses too!

Football:

Hockey:

• Options

any day I can complete a baseball grid is a good day

I pulled Snow and Urbina directly from my ass

• Options

it's mea culpa time. for the first time since i started snorting this crack, i cheated. that's right, i cheated on a square. i blazed through the last column, then my brain started farting all over the place. i decided to take a little looksie to see who played for the Steelers and Pats, and when i stumbled across the name i did, i simply could not resist.

only one question remains, and i'm not sure i can proceed with my life until i know the answer. i'm going to pose this as calmly as i can.

WHAT ON EARTH WERE DICK SHINER'S PARENTS THINKING

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

sorry fellow forum members I did not have time for horse-play today.... :)

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I know nobody will be as excited about this as I am, I finally did it. I play this game every day trying to get as low a score (sum of percentages) as possible. And every day I run up against a square where I can't think of anyone except Willie Mays, or some superstar who will get half the vote. Until today:

Total score: 7.67!

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    While I know nobody will be as excited about this as I am, I finally did it. I play this game every day trying to get as low a score (sum of percentages) as possible. And every day I run up against a square where I can't think of anyone except Willie Mays, or some superstar who will get half the vote. Until today:

Nice Dallas!
    Just as a heads up for the future, if there’s a square that calls for gold glove and mvp or gold glove and .300 avg use George brett. I swear I got a 0.01 on a past grid with him

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    edited September 28, 2023 5:09AM

@dallasactuary said:

Great job! What kills me is when a guy can be used in 2-3 spaces, say Tigers Hall of Fame/200 hits in a year. You could use Ty Cobb in either spot yet receive a vastly different score for either based on how others have used him.

Another thing is guys with the same name. It hasn’t happened much but I noticed with Sam Crawford yesterday there was a second guy of the same name who played in the Negro Leagues around the same time, so just be careful.

• Options

Football, I could have sworn Brian Brohm played for the Packers, but it must have been practice squad only.

Baseball, my phone messed up when choosing Dean Chance and wasted a pick accidentally selecting someone else.

• Options

Baseball:

Football:

Hockey:

• Options

• Options

I refused to use Nolan Ryan for 200+ K, thinking he'd be about 80%

Mark Langston nope

John Lackey nope

ah screw it

21%!!!!!!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    I refused to use Nolan Ryan for 200+ K, thinking he'd be about 80%

Mark Langston nope

John Lackey nope

ah screw it

21%!!!!!!

Everyone (like me) already used Nolan in the box above. 😂

I would have probably guessed Langston too for the Angels. or Chuck Finley. But I ran out of guesses.

• Options

• Options

Pretty easy day with an Indians and All Stars column.

• Options

i'm pleased with this one, even with a couple of bullet holes

i loved that 94 Expos team

• Options

close but no cigar

• Options

Didn't have time for football today.

Baseball - Go 90's Expos!

Hockey - Officially my hardest hockey square to date: Columbus/New Jersey. I was actually down to 2 completely wild guesses. Picked the wrong one. Turns out the other one was correct! Only 25% got a correct pick in this square.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2023 2:29PM

Failure once again!

• Options

Very easy day with lots of old timers, but Saberhagen killed my score. George Uhle played in Cleveland for most of the 20s and was an above average starter with 200 wins.

• Options

@Browns1981 said:

but Saberhagen killed my score

I think Mark Gubicza was your man

hell of a grid

• Options

When filling out the grid, I usually try to recall baseball cards from each team. So today, when there was one for a Cleveland All-Star, I went with Tony Bernazard. Turns out he never made the All-Star Team. He for some reason also appears in the glossy mail in set. Does anyone know of any other All-Star cards where the player never made the All-Star team or is this just a confusing one time occurrence?

• Options

@WFC2008 said:
    When filling out the grid, I usually try to recall baseball cards from each team. So today, when there was one for a Cleveland All-Star, I went with Tony Bernazard. Turns out he never made the All-Star Team. He for some reason also appears in the glossy mail in set. Does anyone know of any other All-Star cards where the player never made the All-Star team or is this just a confusing one time occurrence?

That’s crazy. From Wikipedia: “ Inexplicably, Topps pictured Bernazard as an American League All Star in its 1987 set (card number 607) though Bernazard was not named to the American League All Star Team in 1986 or any other season.”

• Options

Just started looking into this further and there are two other players, Todd Worrell and George Bell, with an All-Star card in 87 that were not on the team. I just always assumed these were the starting lineups or at least made up of players who were selected.

• Options

• Options

@WFC2008 said:
    When filling out the grid, I usually try to recall baseball cards from each team.

that;s kind of on how I like go...

86 AS game was in Houston and Lou starting at 2nd...
    :)

• Options

@WFC2008 said:

Does anyone know of any other All-Star cards where the player never made the All-Star team or is this just a confusing one time occurrence?

• Options

Had to give up today and realized I missed Piazza as an obvious choice, oh well. No clue on the Marlins saves.

• Options

I need to brush up on my Angels knowledge, the Huston Street I got was provided to me by my wife!

• Options

• Options

Just did this walking through the airport first name that came to mind

• Options

• Options

Phone messed up while choosing Zack Wheat and selected Zack Wheeler so I lost a pick

• Options

Baseball - Not very impressive today

Football:

Hockey:

• Options

2 mistakes today. I thought Gehrig had more than 500 homers and I was totally shocked that Pujols was not a .300 career hitter!

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

2 mistakes today. I thought Gehrig had more than 500 homers and I was totally shocked that Pujols was not a .300 career hitter!

I always make mistakes like that and end up being surprised my picks didn’t accomplish as much as my memory suggests.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

The amount of all time greats who bat .295-.299 will surprise you.

• Options

Rays can be tough.

• Options
    edited October 4, 2023 7:32AM

so close, yet so far away

Ferguson was a total guess and a very pleasant surprise........I don't remember him playing for the Colts