Home Sports Talk
Options

Cool game to play to test your baseball knowledge

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2023 7:52AM

if I see the Tampa on a grid from this point forward I'm gonna eject immediately

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    if I see the Tampa on a grid from this point forward I'm gonna eject immediately

I had trouble with that Tampa row also.

• Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

one of my better efforts, but i'm gonna be honest -- i'm getting sick of these. the two-team novelty has officially worn off for yours truly. occasionally i'll see one that consists primarily of accomplishments, and those are the types of grids i like. if any of you guys stumble across one, kindly tag me so i can play. but until that happens, i think i'm done.

if you're wondering who the hell Cleo Montgomery is, he's the brother of Wilbert Montgomery (of Philly Eagles lore). both of whom share the same alma mater with galaxy27. B)

and i was stoked to use White Shoes on my last grid!

• Options

• Options

I was shocked Tris Speaker never had 100 RBI for the Red Sox, that was my mistake

• Options

@Browns1981 said:

I was shocked Tris Speaker never had 100 RBI for the Red Sox, that was my mistake

Just came to me that John Olerud was possibly with the Mets and Mariners??

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    one of my better efforts, but i'm gonna be honest -- i'm getting sick of these. the two-team novelty has officially worn off for yours truly. occasionally i'll see one that consists primarily of accomplishments, and those are the types of grids i like. if any of you guys stumble across one, kindly tag me so i can play. but until that happens, i think i'm done.

if you're wondering who the hell Cleo Montgomery is, he's the brother of Wilbert Montgomery (of Philly Eagles lore). both of whom share the same alma mater with galaxy27. B)

and i was stoked to use White Shoes on my last grid!

I agree somewhat. Especially doing 3 grids. I think of the 3 sports I follow, I will just pick the most interesting grid of the day and do that one. I also enjoy when the categories are more than just the teams. At least in the hockey world, I find the Puckdoku game to pick far more interesting categories than Immaculate Grid.

Anyway, here's my play for today - football. Chosen because I'm a 49ers fan. 🙂

• Options

Easy day, rarity score of 8

• Options

Baseball looked fun, but I went with football today. For TB/HOU, I seriously could not think of anyone but the Fitzpatrick go-to when you're stuck.

• Options

Had to give up on this.

• Options

Played 2 today.

Football - Didn't realize how severely lacking the Bengals are in HOFers. One of them is T.O. which barely counts.

Hockey:

• Options

Surprisingly tough day

• Options

• Options

• Options

Fun day full of old timers

• Options

Just had a brain block and couldn’t think of anyone in the middle. Obviously Jake Peavy and Goose Gossage but just didn’t put the pieces together.

Anyone else still playing?

• Options

• Options

• Options

Good day for pre war guys. I did have to confirm Waite Hoyt before selecting him

• Options

It has been a bit. Played football today.

• Options

My lack of Tigers knowledge got me on this one.

• Options

@Browns1981 said:

Good day for pre war guys. I did have to confirm Waite Hoyt before selecting him

Very Impressive!

• Options

Couldn’t really come up with any obscure Astros, though Luis only played with the Marlins for a minute

• Options

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Took a long time to think of someone for the top left spot

• Options

Another big pre-WW1 day

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found out Robin Roberts topped out at 198 K’s in a season.
    The same way I found out Jim Palmer topped out at 199.
    This stupid game.

• Options

@Darin said:
    This stupid game.

Same deal with old timers and counting stats. So many great hitters never had 200 hits in a season simply because they played such shorter seasons.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Browns1981 said:

@Darin said:
    This stupid game.

Same deal with old timers and counting stats. So many great hitters never had 200 hits in a season simply because they played such shorter seasons.

Yes so true.
    The funny thing about Robin Roberts is that if I had seen all his stats except strikeouts before I put him in the Phillies square I would have thought he definitely would have reached 200 k’s in a season.
    He had 33 complete games one year and 30,29 and 26 plus he led the league in innings pitched 5 years in a row. Just not a great strikeout guy.
    But a great and durable pitcher.
    The fun part of getting a wrong answer is looking up their stats and finding out more about them.

• Options

The Expos line took some time but the Indians and Yankees were obviously easy. George Kahler is the only pro player ever from my home town

• Options

i took a look at today's grid and noticed that they are starting to evolve (2 new columns), so i decided to play

being an Expos fan in the 90s proved to be rather beneficial

39.....easily my best baseball effort. I'm thinking about retiring again on a high note B)

• Options

@Browns1981 said:

hey Browns1981,
    Pretty Cool... B)

• Options

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's time to walk away from this game because I don't think I can beat this one. Total score of 2.9!!!

I hovered over the Select button on Eric Soderholm for a long time before finally going for it.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

• Options

I am finding out how bad I am without google on these.

• Options

no 2-team bs...........AND a Rangers row.........had to play again! 😅

i like where this is headed with these grids. even galaxy27 can look like he has a clue about baseball. gotta go check out football & basketball now...

• Options

ok so football grids haven't progressed the way the baseball ones have, but i spotted one i had to play.

i'm about to school you guys for a second, and i think it's stories like this that make these so much fun.

Todd Bell was one of my favorite Bears of all time. unless you're a lifer CB fan such as myself, that name probably doesn't ring a bell (no pun intended). he was a strong safety and a poor man's Ronnie Lott -- a very hard-hitting mofo. he freaking decapitated receivers when they came across the middle back when it was legal. in 1984 he made the Pro Bowl and was 2nd team All-Pro. i'm sure some of you are like, wait, what? 1984? the year before they won the Super Bowl? where was this guy then? well, he sat out the entire '85 season due to a contract dispute. so yes, as great as the Chicago Bears defense was that year -- arguably the best of all time -- they were actually missing one of their best players on that side of the ball.........for the entire season. now that's a "what if?" that's pretty sick to think about...........and not many know about it.

RIP Todd Bell.........he died from a heart attack while driving his car a number of years ago

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

For some reason I thought Nolan Arenado had a .300 season with the Cards. So close today!

• Options

was kicking ass and taking names until i ran into the dreaded dual-team column. i'm over it! :D

i refused to choose Edgar, Ichiro or Griffey..............instead i closed my eyes, thought about the 497824390724386907680 packs of 1980 Topps i eviscerated back in the day, and held my breath with Paciorek

• Options

• Options

• Options