Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CACG has jumped the shark ...

BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember all those statements about "not grading moderns"?

This hit my email yesterday:

links to: https://www.rarecollectiblestv.com/2023-w-1oz-american-gold-eagle-cac-pf70-dcam.html

-----Burton
ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Comments

• Options
    SlipKidSlipKid Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

You can get a PCGS 70 for $3500.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2023 6:39AM

This feels like the opposite of everything CAC had come to represent.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2023 7:00AM

I see a PCGS one on eBay for $3729 plus ogp. Why in the world world would somebody pay $5795 for the op one? Unbelievable lol. My elevator goes to the top - does yours? Who would even pay that $5795? Gandolf?

Is that even for real, a presale or what? There has been no announcement I know of CACG material being released in the marketplace.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2023 6:55AM

Deleted

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2023 7:24AM

….

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    [...]
    Is that even for real, a presale or what? There has been no announcement I know of CACG material released in marketplace.

Screenshot in the OP says "pre-sale".

• Options

Presale - interesting. Do they have to pay upfront or what? Who would even agree to that? Is the seller some insider?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    And it's only $5795!!! :D

I was thinking such a PQ rarity modern, one of a kind, once in a generation "opportunity" would be worth $9999!!! They're too humble, but still "loveable" by the right telemarketers and collectors. What's next in terms of sales promotions?

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Presale - interesting. Do they have to pay upfront or what? Who would even agree to that? Is the seller some insider?

Source: https://www.rarecollectiblestv.com/2023-w-1oz-american-gold-eagle-cac-pf70-dcam.html

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin... Thank you for the clarification.... sure looked like it was on the outside... but pictures can be deceiving - as we all know. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited June 2, 2023 7:32AM

I used to know a dealer everybody in the bourse room called Rip. A coin dealer called Rip. A great guy, highly respected, at times good advice. Sometimes other dealers would ask him (walk up deal at their table) “Hey Rip, what’s it worth?” I believe that was a nickname - his real name Ripley. I am sure he’s long deceased. He would be looking down on this smiling at this zany situation, ROFL.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like the slab. but the price...i'm out

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that all the confusion is that some missed the OP's point and it had nothing to do with the sticker being on the inside or outside. It is a CAC stickered modern, which they had not done before.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, is the premium that based on the fact that this is these are the first modern coins in CAC holders? I have been coached since my first day to "buy the coin and not the holder", But this is buying the holder at a significant premium.

Personally, I am not good enough to tell the difference between an MS70 and an MS69. For this reason, I avoid MS70 coins. I know I would not be able to differentiate between PCGS's MS70 and CAC's MS70.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options

So your saying this is a real CACG coin? Is the seller an insider or what?

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    So your saying this is a real CACG coin? Is the seller an insider or what?

Yes, I believe that this is a real CACG-holdered coin.

As far as I know, RCTV is a real business.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a great coin for a future COINVAULT release..... B)

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Capitalism....its what's for dinner.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still scratch my head at this decision to replace a simple examination and piece of decal with a full grading service and encapsulation factory.
    I suppose the principals have thought this out.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Early Releases" may offer more long term potential than "First Delivery"?

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:
    I'm waiting for the (new) 2 point grading system from CACG of 9.9 and 10 :D

Careful. That could be a competitor's plan. ;)>:)

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

So much misinformation from "advanced" collectors. :/

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oy vay!

• Options
    edited June 2, 2023 11:21AM

It’s not the rollout or material I anticipated. Think they will find people pay that money LOL. That’s a $2000 premium over a PCGS 70. Unbelievable. Just think if you racked up 100 + orders on that…..$$$. Plus they collecting pmt now but not ship until 6-8 weeks. Not for me - goodbye and good luck.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2023 11:15AM

@coinbuf said:
    So much misinformation from "advanced" collectors. :/

Agree. I don't understand why they are having such a hard time understanding.

I'm going to list a PCGS 70 today for $20,000 so people can blame our host for grading moderns and having highly priced coins.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    I see a PCGS one on eBay for $3729 plus ogp. Why in the world world would somebody pay $5795 for the op one? Unbelievable lol. My elevator goes to the top - does yours? Who would even pay that $5795? Gandolf?

Is that even for real, a presale or what? There has been no announcement I know of CACG material being released in the marketplace.

Why do people pay stupid money on eBay for the first graded PCGS ms70 or PR70 for mint special issue?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that's legit I say what a waste of grading talent.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:
    Prediction ...

... at some point, with all the new holders, stickers, and marketing hype, ... there will be fatigue and burnout from all the plastic and rainbow stickers that coin collectors will start looking at just the coin again :)<3>:)

Hope you are right. Education can come cheap, but usually not.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

Plenty of people are going to be unhappy with whatever CACG does. They being said, they are a business and they aren’t the same entity as CAC. It’s naive to think they aren’t going to do the same things to make money that NGC and PCGS do because those are the things consumers want. If consumers didn’t want it and they weren’t willing to pay for it, then they wouldn’t do it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file